Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
But does it have a poop button, and can you set the poop timer to zero?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Aq-gm3An0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think you'd have to go with HM or SH to make it work, you appreciate the badassness by knowing what happens when you fail. If it was just 'push button, do rampage' it would be far less satisfying.

Though Perfect Dark did have a Disarm punch that would let you grab the gun from the floor and open fire.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Much better fast-travel for one, the way-prisms are more frequent and more locations than the capital have permanant warp points.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My dream game would be a Tony Hawk/Saints Row mashup. Claim territory by tricking off enough objects in it, then do a grind-by shooting on some rival gangsters.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Regarding A and B choices, Enter the Gungeon is about your character going back in time to fix a mistake, in the form of a boss fight unique to each character. You can also choose to make the mistake again.

For the (Doom-inspired) Marine, for example, you can abandon the base again, or confront the monsters breaking through from another dimension.

For the criminal on the other hand, you choose between attacking the rival crime lord, or attacking them angrily. Implying their mistake wasn't a choice, but losing the fight.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And it takes place in the same universe as Alan Wake...

Duracell Batteries caused everything!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Cythereal posted:

Shovel Knight got a patch to let you choose the appearance and pronouns of every character in the game - and they're independent settings for each character.

Their thought and design process for that was pretty cool too.
https://yachtclubgames.com/2017/03/designing-body-swap/

I particularly like the rules they laid down.

quote:

Body swaps should be exactly as gendered as the original character. For instance, it’s really difficult to tell that Plague Knight is male in the first place! Therefore, Plague Knight’s female body should be a little tough to tell too. Meanwhile a handsome character like Propeller Knight could have a sexier female version! The designs should be balanced with their counterparts.

The characters shouldn’t look like they are cross dressing, ie putting Shovel Knight in a dress. The outfits should look natural, not “another version” of something.

Body Swaps should match the existing personality of the characters exactly. After all, the dialogue would be exactly the same, and the boss battles and mannerisms of the characters.

Gameplay must remain identical! The Body Swaps have the same hitboxes and code as the original characters. This means that the sizes and shapes of the characters had to be identical to their original forms.

Characters should be differentiable in pixel art. There is a surprising amount of tweaking to even get the characters to look clean and readable in pixel. With the Body Swaps, we had the additional challenge of making the characters look different than their counterparts, and still look readable! This was an enormous challenge.

Both versions should be equally cool!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Calaveron posted:

Wait until you realize her compass points her not where she wants to go, but where she’s needed

It points to treasure chests and boss battles.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The most recognizable character after Crash himself.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

oldpainless posted:

Think of it this way

Dead Space 2 is Starship Troopers, an unquestionable classic.

Dead Space 3 is The Fifth Element, hot garbage.

:thatsbait.gif:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
You besmirch the honour of BMX XXX, finest non-anime jerk-off game?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Prophecy can be interesting, but often it's just lazy writing as a way to justify the protagonist being right. "Prophecy said so, let him have your gold, weapons and daughter or you're standing in the way of the world being saved"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That's still the case, but you have to put the dog egg in the dog machine too.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is also the game where Peach steals an X-Naut disguise and later drinks an invisibility potion, both explicitly involve her taking off her dress. I think the devs got a little weird here.

Anyone with invisibiliy powers who claims not to have gone streaking is a liar.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The random NPC names in Disgaea have always been a delight. My favourite so far have been 'Codblops' and 'I ATE THE BONES!'

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Cleretic posted:

No idea who came up with the jet heels, though. I don't necessarily hate them (they do complete her whole moveset in a weird way) but I have some questions about how they got there.

She's been hanging out with Bayonetta and getting ideas.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

HelleSpud posted:

The Zachtronics games TIS-100 and Shenzen I/O both have elaborate manuals recreating the computer manuals of their respective time periods. Of course, in their cases it's pretty much necessary as the first puzzle is "puzzle out how to use this programming language" and the first instruction is "RTFM".

Same with Exapunks where the manuals are zines that get delivered to the character and you print them out. And other hacker NPCs talk about the articles.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My favourite WoW fact is that it was several expansions before they solved the issue of 'Quests can only update when something is killed or collected'. Before then, if they wanted an objective like 'go to this location' or 'talk to this person' they had to create a rabbit in a secret location, and kill it when the objective was complete.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aren't the Imperium notoriously anti-Xeno? Or are the Tyranids an enemy-of-my-enemy exception?

Like all the best evil empires, the Imperium runs on blood, bullets and hypocrisy.

Sure, aliens, mutants, witches are abominations constantly seeking new and exotic ways to destroy you, your soul, the Imperium and everything else you love, so consorting with them in Heresy.

But letting that planet get eaten is also Heresy.

So you're damned either way, might as well pick the Heresy that has you, personally, live longer and maybe you can donate something shiny to the priests and call it even. You might even manage to get all your alien allies killed by the common enemy, and then you haven't done any heresy at all, but cleverly tricked foul xenos into weakening each other for you to finish off.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I agree with the article that DQB2's translation is a work of art, and the pun game is on point. I have to wonder what some of them were in Japanese, because they seem too perfect to have simply been improvised to fit in.

For example, the second island has you rebuilding a mining community and defending it from the Madusa. As part of this, you help Goldirocks the golem go from a stone golem to a golden golem, and build a series of relaxing venues for the miners, a rough-and-ready pub, a swimming pool with cabanna bar, and a fancy cabaret.

It's the tale of Goldirocks and the Three Bars. Is that story known in Japan? Did a golden/stone character and a trio of pubs show up for unrelated reasons?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

thecluckmeme posted:

The alternative is the motorcycle got destroyed but wolverine didn't because he has an adamantium skeleton stronger than any other metal on earth. He's hanging in the air because the ropes stopped at his skeleton, and they didn't depict the gruesome wounds he would have received. :eng101:

Sure, that much is obvious.

But what about the trees? No extra slack on the wires! They were tough enough to slice through a motorcycle and dangle a heavy-metal-skeleton plus regular other body bits, but didn't slice into the trees when doing so?

Did Sabertooth acquire some kind of myserious, force-nullifying me-

Ok, solved it. The wires are vibranium.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Pseudohog posted:

I'm getting worried now.... I've actually heard of this game! BioEnchanted, you're not going mainstream on us are you?

It's even got a sequel in the works!

It's also a lot of fun and just the right kind of goofy.

Mizuki is the best, as evidenced by the quality of her trident.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Somnium Files is from the same director as the Nonary Games trilogy, and despite the AIs living in eyeballs and dream-diving detectives is far more grounded in reality.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They made the underwater controls really bad.

They also tweaked the boss fights, so while each fight still has the basic mechanic there (Roll-smashing the Snowhead boss, Deku-blasting into Odolwa's taint etc.), instead of damaging the boss it just puts them in a 'gasping for breath' pose with a big eye-tumor as a weak point.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Also don't let your fans run the asylum, who say that Termina was nothing but a dream in an officially-endorsed Fan Wank guidebook.

Ehh, Koholint was also just a dream. Doesn't mean it didn't also happen.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Weird Pumpkin posted:

:hmmyes:

It's weird because Ubisoft seems to have two settings for their big games: knocking it out of the park and just completely forgettable

It's basically by design. The big game companies all do it in a similar way. There's the A-Team who get five years to make something big, they get creative freedom, get to build new engines etc.

Then there's the B, C, D teams etc, who get one year to make a new game out of the assets from the last A team project.

Sometimes, this works out really well (Majora's Mask, New Vegas etc.)

Other times, you get Watch_Dogs.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

BioEnchanted posted:

The best way to describe the coin toss is just "You won't care either way. One of you will be moving on, the other will be dead. Stop worrying so much, as either way, you are inevitably going to lose. The only difference is the location of where that version of you loses" Just make very clear that there IS no win condition. (I am fully aware that there IS no explaining it away as it's a logical fallacy brought on as a coping mechanism to distance oneself from an unpleasant situation)

This is reminding me of Zero Time Dilemma, the third game of the Nonary Games trilogy.

The game is about a bunch of people trapped in a lab, being made to solve puzzles and make various choices about who lives and dies, with branching timelines depending on what is picked.

The very first thing that happens is the mastermind gives the imprisoned group a coin toss. Lose, and they'll be gassed unconscious and brought into the 'games'. Win, and they'll be set free.

There is indeed a very short timeline where you 'win' and the mastermind keeps his word, everyone is free and just standing there figuring out what to do next.

But then because the 'games' were about unlocking latent psychic powers to mind-hop between timelines, in the epilogue the assholes who'd been killing each other in different timelines all hop into the bodies of the 'winners' to escape.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Since I can't find a thread for it, have my thoughts and speculation on AI: The Somnium Files - Nirvana Initiative
I'm currently just entering Mizuki's second route, for those worried about spoilers.

OK, so, in the first game although there were branching routes that could have radically different outcomes, when you've solved the case you can see how your different actions caused them. Why did Iris die if Date believed her about aliens and tried to run away with her? Because he never gave back her headphones, which were actually medical devices keeping her brain cancer in check. The most significant part of the first branching point wasn't how traumatised Mizuki was, or where the investigation focuses on first, but that it changes the timing of a phonecall which causes the killer to be injured in a car accident.

The point is that even when your actions cause the dominos to tip in different directions, they're set up in the same way each time.

I don't think that is the case in Nirvana Initiative. The game has been talking a lot about 'Simulation Theory' and while it wouldn't be out of character for it to be a red herring, I think it's true. But only in some of the routes.

The 6 years ago/Present timelines seemed separated, but they're becoming blurred. Andes Komeji died in one of Ryuki's routes but not the other. He died 6 years ago, but the other half of his body showed up and people are acting like he was walking around a few days ago.

Ryuki's mental state is fluctuating between 'madman in a trance' and 'just kinda stressed' and nobody finds it odd. He'd been experiencing lost time and should have been hospitalised 6 years ago, it's very odd they keep letting him be a detective... unless sometimes he isn't, and is just a guy who shows up places.

People are reacting strangely to Mizuki too. Kizuna calls her 'big sis' because she reminds her of her actual big (step) sister so we know there's an older woman she's similar to. We've just seen Date again after he was supposed to be missing-presumed-dead in an explosion, and the first thing he says to Mizuki is 'You're so similar...'

The masked woman has talked about having one eye and a heart condition. We know Mizuki has one eye, and in her (currently) locked first route she's just started having heart problems.

My theory is 'rescued from an organ farm'. We've heard that Jin Furue had problems with tumors in half his body. We've learned that Tearer was raised in an underground lab, insanely jealous of Jin and that everything of Jin's should be his. They even took 'half of him' and he had an obsession with obtaining his 'missing half', and that at least half Tearer's face is identical to Jin.

So there are two of Jin. The original, and his spare-organ-farm Tearer. We know that Mizuki and Masked Woman were both test-tube babies subjected to genetic manipulation. Mizuki was adopted by the Okiuras, Masked Woman eventually escaped from Chikara's lab.

I think there's a shell game going on with peoples' identities, and Mizuki's route isn't always 6 years in the future. Sometimes it is, but that's when the world is a simulation. When it isn't, she's not the real Mizuki. A clone, or a twin, or something similar, and the woman in the mask is the 'real' Mizuki.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The real masterstroke was the collector's edition coming with a RIP Batman statue, spoiling people who paid the most money, or just looked at it on Amazon

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Aussie accents always add gravitas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QceWEIpbFp8

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The missions in far cry 5 were fun, but I wanted a "shut up" button whenever the main villains were talking. It doesn't even have to do anything, it could be a "shaun" button, or "make fart noises" button. Anything other than listen to the boring idiots talk.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Cythereal posted:

Mortal Kombat is a little strange in that respect. Despite the series' reputation, the modern games have settled on and been very successful with an attitude of treating the games' signature ultraviolence as basically slapstick.

Noob Saibot in 11 is a case in point with turning him into a parody and no one has patience for his schtick.

"What are you, the prince of darkness?"

"I am death's hand!"

"Bugger off, mate."

My favourite is Ermac. The original arcade cabinet had a bunch of statistics you could view, from stuff like total time played on each character, number of times the secret Reptile fight had been triggered, and one entry that just read 'ERMACS'. What's an Ermac? A secret character you can encounter?

MK2 teased this with secret messages about Ermac before finally making him a character in 3.

But ERMAC was actually short for 'Error Macro' and the stats entry was counting how many times the game had crashed. But the devs heard people speculating about a character, and rolled ahead with it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
In Civ6, my people discovered and began displaying a piece of the true cross, causing a boost in faith.

It's 3,800 BC. And they worship turtles.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Like Paper Mario, Nintendo will allow one original, and a sequel. So Mario + Rabbids 3 will turn into a farm management sim or something.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's a pattern with big companies, not even just the gaming ones. Tesco require you to have a reward card for any special offers now. Gone from rewarding you for using the card (sharing data) to punishing you for not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, but the puzzle that makes you walk on water has a fun undertone given one of the more famous bible stories involves ancient Egyptian priests trying to copy Jesus' miracles to prove that he was a con (at least the movie version does that) so it's fun that the ancient Egyptians did that too.

I think you're thinking of Moses there.