Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

One hilarious thing I discovered playing Ico is that the european version (the one I'm playing) is a little bit harder than the US version. It's still not super hard but its a few extra steps to the puzzles. For example, I had to jump from a rotting water wheel to reach a lever, in the YS US version you can just climb a ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I am enjoying aspects of the mystery. like Octavianus hears about Caesars last words (the guy taking the fall heard them while running to his aid and found his body) and figures out a lot by deconstructing the grammar. Like "Et tu, Brute...'And you too, Brutus'... so there was a guy called Brutus, who sounds like he was close to my Uncle, plus other accomplices involved..." and so he has to figure out who Marcus Brutus is because he doesn't know his late uncle's inner circle very well and now I'm following him to try to find out more about the conspiracy that Brutus and Cicero are part of.

But there was never a mystery about who killed Caesar and Brutus was fairly well known too. There was in fact graffiti in Rome that encouraged Brutus to kill Caesar.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Suetonius deez nuts.

(Honestly though could you explain?)

It's honestly best if no one explains it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Playing Fallout: New Vegas and I liked how Novac's name gets explained through environmental story telling: It's an old motel and the only letters that lights up on the No Vacancy sign is the first five

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Philippe posted:

There's a town in Fallout 3 called Arefu, named after the highway sign outside, where the C and L in CAREFUL have been scuffed up.

It's also a village in Romania that's close to the castle that used to belong to Vlad "the Impaler" Tepes;:drac:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Kazuma Kiryu has never killed somebody

Never

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKzWB3sDFc

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arriving in Freeside playing New Vegas and some random guy waved me over and I followed him. It ended up with him trying (emphasis on trying) to rob me. That's something I would expect form Rockstar, not Bethesda (a bunch of developers who still hasn't figured out how to show people walking through doors).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

credburn posted:

Spec Ops: The Line's main menu screen reflects the state of your latest saved game.

Spec Ops also has a very weird loading screen that as far as I know only appear once and only if you die at a certain point in the game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite thing about Spec Ops: The Line. It opens with the team in a helicopter shooting at other helicopters. Then the game jumps back to when they arrived in Dubai. Then when they finally get to the helicopter chase Walker says that they've done this before and then the helicopter crashes which induces a hallucination. Heavily implying that Walker died in the crash and is constantly reliving the game as a sort of hell/purgatory.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

They should add a feature where if you're getting eaten by a bug, but aren't dead yet, you can issue to
"Do it, Rico!" command to have a teammate kill you.

There should be an optional dialogue where your character can say "But it's OK, because I got to have you."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

A lot of Assassin's Creed: Valhalla annoyed me but I loved that Eivor could pick up the big chunky cats and give them a really good hug :3:

You can even have your own ship cat if you play your cards correctly.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Biplane posted:

Speaking of collectathons, I have been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider to take a break from the Witcher, which is awesome, and all the different artifacts and logbooks you can find have fully voiced descriptions and the voice actress playing Lara sounds really enthusiastic and engaged about all the mayan and incan artifacts she finds :3: Game scratched that Uncharted itch I didn't know I had.

I think it's the first one in the reboot trilogy where she's all exited about an artifact until she discovers that it's fake.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

another option is that the fiends looted vault 3 when they took it over
Speaking of Vault 3, I think the game trolled me pretty good with Motor Runner. During the game you get the choice to not kill people by making deals with them. You get the same option with Motor Runner and even get a "speech check succeeded" but then he refuse to accept the deal and fight you anyway.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

They do a really good job of muddying the waters. It was close enough that Max seems to have lived through the whole thing as an adult, but also long enough ago for people to have forgotten what planes are for. It's not really important enough for anybody to care.

In one of the Griffa encounters Max even admits that he no longer remembers or care which year it is or how old he is.
My favorite thing about Mad Max is that after Hope dies Max completely loses it and starts hearing voices. Freaked me out when suddenly there was voice saying "kill them all" coming from the ps4 controller.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't remember that happening as part of the game

Well, that's....worrisome.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

The Mad Max game is full of little things, especially if you grab the collectibles. They're all pretty horrid, but I have a favorite:

The only canned food left from the Old World is dog food...

...because they ate all the dogs, so there was nothing to eat their food.

While cannibalism is hugely frowned upon in the game's world, the main food/healing item is maggots. Where do the maggots come from, you ask?

Well, sometimes you find rotting human corpses in the wild and... Max holds his nose and digs in.

One of the safe house upgrades are maggot farms. It's not just implied that they collect bodies to fuel the flies, there are body parts just kinda laying around close to the tupperware totes full of rotting people-meat.

In a very morbid way, Max going ham on Warboys and Scavs puts food on the table.
In one mission you have to find saltpeter in order to make gunpowder. Guess what's a great source for saltpeter? rotting human corpses!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The fridge door in Guardians od the Galaxy. It's always open and I always close it. I did a search and it seems like a lot people does the same even though there's no trophies for doing it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A neat thing that happens in the Mind Over Matter level in Guardians of the Galaxy: You're in Drax's mind. And since his family was killed by Thanos there's a fight against him. The problem is that every time you kill Thanos he multiplies. You can't win the battle by beating Thanos, instead you have to let go and let Thanos beat you.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like the upgrade system in Guardians of Galaxy: The final upgrade is unlocked, not with points, but when a character has had an emotional breakthrough and feel confident enough to use the ability.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Guardians of the Galaxy game is good, but at some points it touches greatness;

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Ghost of Tsushima npcs will actually match your walking/running speed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's funny how sometimes hostile npcs in the Ghost of Tsushima will nope out of a fight and run away.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Ghost of Thsushima you get a hat from the Straw Hats after completing some quests for them. In the menu it's simply described as a worn hat. But later in the game when Ryuzo, the leader of the Straw Hats, betrays you it suddenly gets described as "the hat of the betrayer".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

It really is the perfect balance of ridiculous and gritty drama.

At least until you get a trophy for slapping someone with a fish.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

C'mon guys, would a real cop be dumb enough to wear a cop uniform undercover??

Everyone and everything is dumb in Sleeping Dogs. That's why it's such a great game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ilmucche posted:

heck yeah goty

Even the title of the game is stupid. What does Sleeping Dog refer to? Nobody knows but they had to call the game something.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Not trophies, but nearly every quest in Cyberpunk 2077 is the name of a song.

That's also the case with Fallout New Vegas. Not only that, most of those songs are connected to Las Vegas.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m playing through AC: Valhalla and when Eivor finally gets her assassin dagger thing, they tell her to wear it on the underside of her wrist.

She flat out is like “no that’s loving dumb I’ll wear it on the top so I don’t lose a finger like you idiots”

Canonically Bayek lost his finger because he was a idiot. Then the rest of the assassins decided they would cut off a finger to honor his idiocy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Randalor posted:

Wait, why is Pontius Pilate in Hell? He was just doing what he was destined to do to fulfill God's plan! I hope you absolved him and sent him along to purgatory, if not Heaven.

And Judas should be the most important saint in christianity for the same reasons.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like the upgrade system in Skyrim. You get better at what you actually do in the game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In SKyrim you have to clear a basement of pests, which seems like pretty standard rpg stuff. But poo poo suddenly escalates when you stumble across an insane wizard. The little thing about this is that you can confront the quest giver about why he didn't warn you about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You can play tag with the children in Skyrim:allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly liked how the puzzles in the Tomb Raider reboot games where mostly "how can I smash this door open?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ilmucche posted:

I've seen the name faro in horizon zero dawn and I'm excited to find out why everyone on SA says gently caress Ted Faro all the time

It's because he's incredible handsome and charming. Everyone should gently caress Ted Faro.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Book of Love quest in Skyrim is really good. Instead of going around killing people you're going around giving them relationship advice. And then at end you reunite two ghosts so that they can move on to the afterlife.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, that'd be awesome if they could pull it off, but I don't know how it would work realistically once the game's out. I think about that sometimes for games and movies in particular, like watching Predator thinking it's just about commandos in the jungle, or From Dusk Till Dawn thinking it's a regular crime film. I know there are other games that have made me think that too, I'm just drawing a blank at the moment.

Spec Ops:The Line. Starts as a atandard military scooter, then becomes something else.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Skyrim there's keys formed like dragon claws almost exclusively found in dungeons with draugr. This keys goes to puzzle doors, but the solution to the puzzles are engraved on the keys. At first this seems like writing the code to your debit card on the actual card. But in-universe it's speculated that this is done intentionally, not to keep people out but to keep the draugr in. This is because it's believed that the draugr isn't sentient enough to figure out the puzzle. It's kinda like the fantasy version of "click here to prove you're not a robot".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What other examples are there of this phenomenon? Where a sequel is a major genre shift, but still pulls it off? The only other one I can think of is Super Mario Bros 2, which is still a platformer, but a wildly different style from the first game.

Spec Ops: The Line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like games that reacts to your actions and Skyrim is one of those games. Like, at one point I got attacked by hired thus. After killing them I found a contract from Olfina Grey-Mane telling the thugs not necessarily kill me but teach me a lesson about stealing her poo poo. And rightfully so, I had been stealing from the Grey-Mane's house.