Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

There are a few games I know of that copied that idea half-way, e.g. Suikoden with its "Let go" option, Persona 3 with its enemies running away (but you'd still have a fight if you ran into them), Dragon Quest VIII with its "Intimidate" (and Holy Water for most of the series, negating random encounters with monsters of lower levels), but none that I've played that uses the idea outright, which is really weird, because it's a good system and games to copy those often. I guess it'd cut down on grinding too much.

Blue Dragon - it's a shield ability your shadow can learn rather than something that "just happens", but it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sad lions posted:

Secondly, it's not the same as the movie but in the movie finale DLC they have Sigourney whispering that Lucky Star song to herself in a panic as she approaches the escape shuttle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73O7tATQ8og?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

I thought that was cool of Blizzard to do instead of just getting bad accents in, even if they don't know that "Cheers love!" means "Thank you!" not "Hello" :britain:

Tracer's got a loving terrible accent though - they've got some woman from up north to play a cockney and she's just Dick Van Dyke'd her way though the lines.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Anyone else heard of this game?

It's one of the (as far as I know) 2 Westwood games to not be on PC (the other was Young Merlin on the SNES) - the XBox port is supposed to be better.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Neito posted:

Remember when Crazy Taxi had KFC and Pizza Hut as destinations, rather than whatever lame generic jokes they have in every re-release? That was either the first, or the first super well know, product placement in a video game.

That wasn't product placement - they PAID to be allowed to use the trademarks which is why they're missing from the HD remake

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Arguably Star Ocean isn't a great game from a gameplay standpoint; its plot more or less disappears after the intro sequence. But it's a gorgeous game and does things that I would never have expected the SNES would be capable of.

Uses a custom chip, it's not really a vanilla SNES game (same thing with Tales of Phantasia)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Don't many NES/SNES games use custom chips at some level?

More so the NES than the SNES - but it means that when you're saying "who could imagine the SNES could do this" you may as well look at Sega-CD or 32X games and say "who knew the Megadrive could do this!"

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

I'd never take it off, only the flames kinda get in the way of Spidey-Sense.

It's not even close to being on the quality as the cel shaded cartoon outfit or the one you unlock when you hit post-game (not the final boss one, the one AFTER that)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Nah, the yank rating board is still insane about nudity, which is much more accepted in healthier countries

At least you can have nipples in your console game in the USA, the Japanese release of The Witcher 3 is just sad - all the gore left in but the women are fully clothed at all times just in case.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Ariong posted:

You know how in many games your very strong and powerful character, wielding a giant flaming axe or sword, will be stopped in their track by a rickety-rear end half-broken wooden door? Well in Dark Souls 2, you can just smash those down. The game never tells you you can do it, and you never have to do it, but if you figuure it out you can get into a couple of side rooms without finding the keys.

Underworld Ascendant is pretty good for that sort of physics based "gently caress this" puzzle solving - unfortunately every other part of the game was dreadful, including no saving during levels that took multiple hours to complete. I believe they've fixed some of that but I'm not desperate to go back and check yet.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Also Drive Girls looks loving rad.

Tamsoft have made plenty of great games, but Drive Girls really isn't one of them. It's super low budget and really feels like a vertical slice demo than an actual content complete game.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s a Yakuza spinoff. It’s still an open world brawler, but the fighting is less combo-y and there’s no cars. Tons of weird side activities, though, and a smaller but very detailed open world (they’ve been working on that map for like 15 years and 7 games and it shows)

The new one's got a new map (several new maps? I have only played the demo) and it really bugs me that they've got Hello Work *and* the red light district on the wrong side of the station.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Always remember that perhaps the most important advancement in JRPGs over the last maybe fifteen-ish years was Atlus deciding to combine one with a dating sim. It's probably my favorite 'shouldn't have worked, but it did' moment, because once you think about it you realize what a massive game-changer it was.

Those have been a thing for ~25 years, and not only has Atlus made them nearly that long at least one of them (Thousand Arms) came out in the US.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
There's a bunch of circumstantial evidence (like the way that lots of things had the wrong name in Japanese, anything with a katakana name in the main series like "Chocobo" had a kanji name that's the term used in Chinese translations) that Square offshored most of it to China as a test. If so, the test failed, hard.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

Also one thing that's pretty neat about AWE is how different Wake and Casper look and sound. That's some good acting

The face of Wake is some Finnish model, but the voice acting is good yes.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dreadwroth2 posted:

In Squadrons, yes you can totally get a Gonk bobblehead. GONK

There's a gonk droid in the rebel hanger from time to time, at least in the story mode

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

At 100% its ones of the longest JRPGs ever made. Up there with Vesperia.

Lol, it's shorter than a fast playthrough of Tengai Makyou 2. JRPGs used to be really long.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yakuza 7 also stole everything from Dragon Quest and name drops it so frequently Im half expecting square to get royalties.

It's been some time since I beat it but I'm pretty sure that Yuji Horii is thanked in the credits - and there's a bunch of Dragon Quest stuff that's referred to by name in 7 when they only used parody names in previous games.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Randalor posted:

Can you do me a solid and think up some good Macross games, preferably on the PSX?

the various Macross Frontier games on PSP/Vita/PS3 are great, Macross 30 is probably the best of them due to the fan-service

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Just out of curiosity, what do the people who think that Ted Faro was genuinely a visionary genius doing what's best for humanity think of Elon Musk?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Biplane posted:

Thank you for making me think of MDK for the first time in probably more than 20 years.

Non Non Rien N'a Changé

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The Witcher 3 has a quest called 'Twisted Firestarter' about finding someone who lit a blacksmith's while drunk, and contains seemingly no other references to the song. I love random rear end references to bands in games by devs who like that band.

Japan-exclusive "Final Fantasy 7 beating" SRPG Wachenroder (which I belive was translated into English recently) has party members named Chemical (and his band of musicians, the Chemical Brothers), Fatboy Slim, Orange DX, Franky Zappa, King Weezer, Small Faces, and Gilberto Gil amongst other references I'm probably not getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but "Shin Sangokumusou" is basically titling it "New Dynasty Warriors."

真 not 新, "Real Dynasty Warriors"