Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

2house2fly posted:

How'd they even get up there!

If the answer to this is "eagles gave them a lift" then the devs totally knew what they were doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Randalor posted:

I just like to think of it as no one thought to try punching Sauron in the eye despite him not being an immortal killing machine, as shown by him losing when he had the ring in the first place. Or LotR was the fantasy equivilant of "Frodo disabled the nuke while this team tries to assassinate the dictator".

...y'know if you think about it this is basically Return of the Jedi.

(where Frodo is Lando, kinda)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

don't you have to kill the witch king of angmar multiple times, including twice in one boss gauntlet?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Alhazred posted:

Seems to me that they too many ideas. Also, it's kinda funny that according to that game Frodo achieved nothing and Sauron was defeated thanks to some idiots showing up at his tower and punch him to death.

You’re right, and this is basically Rise of Skywalker.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Tunicate posted:

don't you have to kill the witch king of angmar multiple times, including twice in one boss gauntlet?

But you get Merry as a hype man on your second encounter, buffing your stats.

"Witch King of Angmar?! More like Bitch King of Angmar!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The protagonist is Budget Aragorn except he picks Eowyn instead and that is hilarious to me.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Eowyn was better anyway.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Except her cooking.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

Except her cooking.

Is there any evidence in canon that Arwen could cook? I mean, the skills we see her display are horseback riding, facing down Ringwraiths, and healing, as best I recall. And sure, she's had however many thousands of years to learn, but maybe she just keeps putting it off. :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
ugh lembas bread again?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Uruk Hai in level 4 don't mess around, they are kicking my rear end. After Moria. The Balrog fight was amusing though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is there any evidence in canon that Arwen could cook? I mean, the skills we see her display are horseback riding, facing down Ringwraiths, and healing, as best I recall. And sure, she's had however many thousands of years to learn, but maybe she just keeps putting it off. :v:

We have no evidence that Arwen can cook, but we do have evidence that Eowyn cannot. In this essay,

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just finished up Observation, a great little game where you're in the middle of some unsettling space mysteries. It has any number of great design touches to keep up the atmosphere and provide an interesting way to tie you into the story and interface as you make your way through.

But the particular thing I really liked was that it gave me the opportunity to go outside into space and just cruise around in 3D around a cool looking space again, something I've been wanting more of since I played 2017's Prey. More games need to get into that kind of setting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ran into a thing in AC: Valhalla that I'm not sure how I feel about it. One of the little side story bits has you run into a musician who says he is a musical prodigy and his band is being persecuted by an angry bishop. The bishop shows up and you get into a fistfight with him while the musician keeps telling you to "smack my bishop."

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

muscles like this! posted:

Ran into a thing in AC: Valhalla that I'm not sure how I feel about it. One of the little side story bits has you run into a musician who says he is a musical prodigy and his band is being persecuted by an angry bishop. The bishop shows up and you get into a fistfight with him while the musician keeps telling you to "smack my bishop."

That side-quest is called The Prodigy and the musician is named Keith, just to really drive it home.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:allears:

The Witcher 3 has a quest called 'Twisted Firestarter' about finding someone who lit a blacksmith's while drunk, and contains seemingly no other references to the song. I love random rear end references to bands in games by devs who like that band.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXA5r8LOBPo

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

CJacobs posted:

:allears:

The Witcher 3 has a quest called 'Twisted Firestarter' about finding someone who lit a blacksmith's while drunk, and contains seemingly no other references to the song. I love random rear end references to bands in games by devs who like that band.

That reminds me of probably my favorite dumb pop-culture reference in Witcher 3. In the fight club sidequest, the reigning champion (until Geralt shows up, of course) is the Tailor, Durden.

Also, iirc, the legendary master swordsmith is named Hattori.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

2house2fly posted:

How'd they even get up there!

It's been more than two decades but I don't remember there being any explanation. I think you just fight through a boss gauntlet and somehow Sauron on top of the tower is the last boss.

I also remembered how I broke that shield magic skill: I invested a few levelup stat points into the magic stat. That was it. Apparently the devs never expected someone to try a magic dwarf build and made the stat scaling useful for a dwarf that put no points in magic, ever. Or at least that's the best I can figure out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Didnt the healer have a full party resurrection which also applied reres and restored all hp and mp?

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just finished up Observation, a great little game where you're in the middle of some unsettling space mysteries. It has any number of great design touches to keep up the atmosphere and provide an interesting way to tie you into the story and interface as you make your way through.

But the particular thing I really liked was that it gave me the opportunity to go outside into space and just cruise around in 3D around a cool looking space again, something I've been wanting more of since I played 2017's Prey. More games need to get into that kind of setting.

My friend made Observation and I was fortunate enough to be able to playtest various builds at his studio as it was being made. He and I had many coffee shop discussions about that game after I’d played and digested the final version. I’ll pass your comments on to him, it’ll make his day!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Ask him to make another game like it without the scary horror parts for babies like me tia :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AlMac posted:

My friend made Observation and I was fortunate enough to be able to playtest various builds at his studio as it was being made. He and I had many coffee shop discussions about that game after I’d played and digested the final version. I’ll pass your comments on to him, it’ll make his day!

Oh that's awesome. It's great, and everyone should give it a look!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Japan-exclusive "Final Fantasy 7 beating" SRPG Wachenroder (which I belive was translated into English recently) has party members named Chemical (and his band of musicians, the Chemical Brothers), Fatboy Slim, Orange DX, Franky Zappa, King Weezer, Small Faces, and Gilberto Gil amongst other references I'm probably not getting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlMac posted:

I mostly liked Observation (Great puzzles and general game design as the Station AI), but it really did not need the strobing light patterns you HAVE to stare at for a memory-pattern puzzle. Great game aside from those sequences.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

LOTR Third Age was fun enough for its time, I remember enjoying it. Moria was fun, but things definitely got pretty goofy towards the end.

Haha that's incredible.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Every game should have fall damage to all characters and also door-in-the-face damage if someone gets smashed with a door in the face. Yes, even Tetris, Fifa, and Zork, I said "every game".
Dead or Alive 3 was not a particularly amazing fighting game, but it did give you the ability to knock people around the environment, and the level design reflected this. My buddies and I found it endlessly entertaining to kick someone out a window and watch them fly out, fall down through a huge neon sign, and splat onto the pavement. You could also punch your opponent off a cliff, slam them into walls, toss them into electrical grids, etc. It ruled.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inquiring minds want to know.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what game is that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

verbal enema posted:

what game is that

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

When confronting the demon lord of minotaurs, the party wizard has questions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Got to Rohan in LOTR: The Third Age on PS2. It's kind of a pretty area :3:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It should be noted that wizard you meet when they disguised themselves as a human and they completely forget they're a fox person because that information just isn't useful to them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

Dead or Alive 3 was not a particularly amazing fighting game, but it did give you the ability to knock people around the environment, and the level design reflected this. My buddies and I found it endlessly entertaining to kick someone out a window and watch them fly out, fall down through a huge neon sign, and splat onto the pavement. You could also punch your opponent off a cliff, slam them into walls, toss them into electrical grids, etc. It ruled.

Your enemy getting electrocuted by the electrocution cage in One Must Fall 2097 was sweet. When it happened to me, it SUCKED.

E: I remember DOA3 being pretty good?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Question: what if I just built all the flame artillery in X-Morph?

Answer: not the most efficient defense system, but certainly cathartic to watch. I love the destruction physics in this game.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

ookiimarukochan posted:

Japan-exclusive "Final Fantasy 7 beating" SRPG Wachenroder (which I belive was translated into English recently) has party members named Chemical (and his band of musicians, the Chemical Brothers), Fatboy Slim, Orange DX, Franky Zappa, King Weezer, Small Faces, and Gilberto Gil amongst other references I'm probably not getting.

Hitman 2 has an achievement called Are Friends Electric?

I found that the same time I started getting into Gary Numan, so if course that's the first kill I made in that guy.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

AlMac posted:

Well, if you're passing comments off, I just wanted to say.

Not only was observation an amazing game, it had one of the best title sequences I've seen in a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCnFWDa8KFw

This got me in the mood for some serious Sci-Fi spooks!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was making a joke about Breath of the Wild cooking, but I had a funny realisation; the way the system works, where you have all kinds of ingredients and don't really know what you'll end up with, actually makes some sense from Link's perspective; he has amnesia. He basically already had the full experiences of a protagonist at the start but the conscious memory is knocked out of him, leaving him relying on muscle memory- hence why he can use any weapon he picks up right off from the start. Something similar might be true for cooking, presuming he's had lots of experience with cooking all kinds of dishes- he might not consciously remember recipes well, but once he has all the right ingredients in front of him he remembers how to use them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a bunch of unique Blade characters in its psuedo-gacha system, with a bunch of them designed by artists from outside the game's usual team; by the end of my playthrough, I had Blades designed by artists for FFXIV, Silent Mobius, Aldnoah.Zero, Dai-Shogun, modern Fire Emblem, Tales of Vesperia, and one guy that does slice-of-life manga I've never heard of.

They did something very dastardly, though: in the base game, there is exactly one Blade that is actually a crossover character. They're the one with the lowest chance of being pulled, and the game has absolutely zero mention of them whatsoever unless you pull them. If you don't do that, the only clue is that they're in the credits, right after all of the main cast.

So for most people, including myself, the first clue that this character even exists is when they finally finish the game is "wait, why the gently caress are there credited voice actors for KOS-MOS?" It just strikes me as a hilariously understated way to show their hand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a bunch of unique Blade characters in its psuedo-gacha system, with a bunch of them designed by artists from outside the game's usual team; by the end of my playthrough, I had Blades designed by artists for FFXIV, Silent Mobius, Aldnoah.Zero, Dai-Shogun, modern Fire Emblem, Tales of Vesperia, and one guy that does slice-of-life manga I've never heard of.

They did something very dastardly, though: in the base game, there is exactly one Blade that is actually a crossover character. They're the one with the lowest chance of being pulled, and the game has absolutely zero mention of them whatsoever unless you pull them. If you don't do that, the only clue is that they're in the credits, right after all of the main cast.

So for most people, including myself, the first clue that this character even exists is when they finally finish the game is "wait, why the gently caress are there credited voice actors for KOS-MOS?" It just strikes me as a hilariously understated way to show their hand.

Two, actually.

Te-Los is a BLADE too.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

3D Megadoodoo posted:

E: I remember DOA3 being pretty good?
It's certainly a game we had a lot of fun with, I just never see it mentioned whenever people talk about most notable fighting games or ones with really deep mechanics or whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

It's certainly a game we had a lot of fun with, I just never see it mentioned whenever people talk about most notable fighting games or ones with really deep mechanics or whatnot.

It was a fighting game for normal people, not fighting game people.