Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I got Red Faction: Armageddon in a humble bundle a while ago but only now bothered to play it. It's completely mediocre and forgettable in every way.

Except the magnet gun. Sending enemies flying across the room into a wall, slamming two enemies into each other, or making a building break apart into debris and rain down on a bad guy never gets old. I'm having more fun with it then I ever had with the gravity gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Mr E posted:

On the other hand, this would be better if the bosses after cookies and cream didn't suck. For something that actually fits in this thread, I love how in Metroid Prime you can see Samus' eyes after a flash of light, and how each of the types of beam have little things going on if you're idle.

God the level of detail in Prime was so good. In regards to the arms cannon, each one has a hand symbol attached to it, it's very easy to not notice at all but when you use the X-ray visor and look at your beam cannon hand, you realize the hand symbols are how her hand is controlling the beams. She changes her finger positions when she switches between beams.

It took me like 3 playthroughs to even notice that.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Jehde posted:

I've been playing a fair bit of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 recently to scratch the itch. Whenever you complete a scenario, all the peeps will stop what they're doing and turn to give a round of applause toward the screen. If you unlocked balloon stalls and peeps are walking around with balloons, they'll release them to give applause. You can then go to town clicking on all the floating balloons to pop them, which is way more satisfying than it should be.

They do this in RCT1 as well. My favorite thing was to frequently change the colors of the balloons so you'd get a rainbow when you won.

You could also name a guest "Chris Sawyer" after the designer and that guy would go around taking pictures.

I also remember making jails for angry guests who complained too much. Raise a single plot of land high into the sky, stick fences around it, place him there for the remainder of the game.

RCT was so good

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Me, my wife and brother in law all got Borderlands 2 for free and are playing throught it now for the first time and it's definitely not very meme-y in a reference sense. I dont even know if i've caught a reference to a meme, maybe a throwaway line? Tiny Tina is a little too "lol random" but the humor is mostly just goofy hit or miss.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I had the WP bit spoiled for me so I sort of saw that twist coming, but the parts that really got to me in SpecOps were the "execution" animations. I was doing normal combat stuff in a firefight and suddenly had a chance to notice how the soldiers on the ground close to death were animated so painfully to really show how awful it was and i realized up to that point i'd been casually horribly murdering them without paying it much mind.

The game hits you on the head with a lot of it, but some of the smaller details make it work best.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've generally been playing with 50% damage absorption this time around and it's just immensely more fun. You still have to be careful, especially starting around the midway point, but it feels way closer to what I'd expect as the standard difficulty option if it had actual Normal and Hard settings.

I did the same thing, I died so much to random offscreen blindside hits that I couldn't even predict coming, but once I turned the damage down to 50-60% those unpredictable hits no longer killed me and allowed me to adjust on the fly it made the combat sooooo much more fun, and I already liked it.

I haven't tweaked any other settings like one hit kills or invincibility, just making it harder to die randomly to offscreen BS makes everything better and can still provide a challenge

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Control does have a "hey there's an off screen attack coming" indicator arrow but it's very small and white so it's hard to notice when you're running around swinging the camera every which way.

The attacks come super fast though, and yeah, in the chaos of a big fight you just won't see it with all the effects going on

I've been killed by the rocket launcher guys or the telepathic flying guys from out of nowhere more times then I can count

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

The game really rewards knowing how to fight and being prepared, compared to just grinding and increasing your numbers.

So, I guess the little thing is that I love how HZD's combat is so different from other games. It's not about complicated combos. It's not about getting better gear. It's not just the same boring button mash contest (looking at you BOTW). You gotta know how to take down each individual robot and that's complicated at first but in the end, you feel like loving batman.

Pretty much nailed it. I played HZD and BotW back to back and HZD was soooooo much more fun and rewarding to me, especially in the combat. HZD is very much about having a plan, realizing the plan went awry, and having a backup plan save you by the skin of your teeth with some quick thinking

Once you know the robot pretty well then all the fun comes in just rushing in wildly and trying other methods to gently caress poo poo up.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Ted is definitely one of the best villians of the past ten years thanks to how real his bullshit feels. I love how everyone comes out of that final scene absolutely despising him.

it's extremely clear by that point the whole "I'm giving humanity a clean slate!" Thing is just his extreme rationalization of a solution after the guilt of destroying the world and watching Sobeck save the day drove him into a spiral. He's jealous of Sobeck the whole game, she basically made him to begin with and now she's the hero again. Ted's a terrible egomaniac who can't accept what he's done so he comes up with a twisted solution that just so happens to erase all knowledge of him. He probably believes his own nonsense, but he's clearly gone by that point judging how the others talk about him

The worst part is Ted wins. It's too late when you find out what happened, he already ruined it. gently caress Ted Faro

Febreeze has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Jul 23, 2021

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Starting from a beginning point of "Let's make a game about robot dinosaurs" and making it not stupid is an accomplishment on its own.

It really was, when I bought it I expected it to be fun but stupid and not as good as it was, the world was very well thought out for such a silly premise and the combat was a blast

It's not perfect it falls into a lot if open world traps but it was better than it had any right to be, especially storywise. A better than the sum of its parts kinda game where it borrowed liberally from others but made it its own thing

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I definitely agree with the take that Ted was never technically brilliant but just business brilliant and that Musk is a solid comparison.

Sobeck directly chides him during the meeting to discuss Zero Dawn, saying "you do what you do best, foot the bill". Sobeck was the brains behind the robots that saved the planet during the claw back and he rode that success into hero status and then decided he needed even more money and moved into military machines and drove Sobeck out. Then when his stupid unhackable machines of war go rogue and he can't cover it up he comes crawling back to Sobeck because he knows she's the only one smart enough to fix it. He's never really portrayed as an engineer/designer behind the tech, just the leader of FAS, directing what it should be. There's the one audio log with him directly telling the engineer to mack the machines have no backdoor.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll be honest, I don't like this in SotC/BotW/etc. It's impressive from a programmed naturalism perspective, but that's not what I want in games. I want horses to be simple vehicles, just direct movement control that's faster than my character on foot.

You aren't alone on this at least, it might be more realistic but it just ends up being irritating when you are trying to get somewhere and they won't cooperate right. Doesnt make me feel more attached to the horse, just annoyed and honestly less immersed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Also I remember some controversy about Aloy looking ugly and she seems like a normal pretty woman to me so idk what the gently caress is up with that but this game seems cool so far about an hour in!

Someone on reddit used a snapchat filter on Aloy as a joke to make her "pretty", some incel on twitter found it, didn't realize it was made as a joke specifically mocking people like him, and posted how it was unironically better and more appealing because she looked more "feminine" like a video game girl should look, and got rightly ripped for it