Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only good thing about the New Super Mario Bros. games is that the baddies dance along to the music. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The character design and voice acting in Darksiders is so good. For being an Ocarina of Time knockoff it's got a ton of effort in the artistic design.

Also using the home run swing is endlessly satisfying.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lobok posted:

Don't know if I ever finished the first Darksiders but I had a great time with II. Death felt much more fun to play as, specifically his movement, whereas War felt too cumbersome. Didn't help that I played Darksiders on the 360 and its bulky controller whereas I played Darksiders II with a DualShock.

I liked Death's mobility a lot but I found Darksiders 2's quality took a massive nose-dive after the land of the dead and never recovered. The first game drops off toward the end too but nowhere nearly as badly. But they're both super cool games.

It was nice that the Warmastered edition was free since I bought the first game several years ago and then had forgotten about it. It was also a fun discovery that apparently Steam now natively supports the Dualshock 4, which is a loving great controller, and the remastered game also naturally recognizes it.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Mar 14, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Cerebral Bore is definitely up there with the Super Shotgun or the Bioshock 2 Speargun for the most richly satisfying guns in FPS.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Somfin posted:

I think that's just some good old 90's era mascot slapfighting. Which I would love to see more of.

Huh huh, that's one doomed space marine :dukedog:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

John Murdoch posted:

They actually don't do that, for a couple of good reasons. Something something, everyone's an rear end in a top hat in MOBAs, etc.

Read as: they don't want reported players to quit playing and stop giving them money.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Being reminded of the existence of THAC0 is not a PYF little thing though :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In Factorio you can now load trains with rocket fuel and they will roar around at nearly 300 kph, and it's almost too bad the game doesn't have ragdoll physics because I think it would be like when you get killed by a giant in Skyrim. You'd just get catapulted into another zip code.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm totally okay with a Far Cry game taking place in the rural US. I probably would've gone with Appalachia but hey, Montana's good.

e: Unrelated, but I'm replaying the new Wolfenstein games and I've never noticed that in the opening cinematic for both The New Order and The Old Blood, GET PSYCHED! appears for like 3 frames before it starts. Cute.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 18:54 on May 24, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sunswipe posted:

I wish they'd stuck with the original idea of Jason Brody being the protagonist in 4, then doing that for every game. Each time he gets more ludicrously overpowered, and frustrated at how any holiday he takes turns into a war. Far Cry 10 has Jason nipping to the shops for a pint of milk only to be embroiled in World War 3. He starts out invulnerable and able to fly, by the end he turns into a ball of pure thought energy and leaves to start the next big bang.

I mean that's basically Saints Row.

I like the Far Cry 3 format and I wouldn't mind it if FC5 was just FC3, The Third Time, but all I ask please is that we can skip cutscenes this time around.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ImpAtom posted:

Supposedly you're a black police officer.

No way is that true. That sounds great.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

flatluigi posted:

Making the protagonist a Good Cop would be one of the easiest ways to gently caress up the potential of the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's true

How's that?

I don't think a game where a police officer stealthily murders a bunch of poor rural religious nuts is exactly looking for rich social commentary.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The fact that your character in FC4 got railroaded into supporting a drug lord or a regressive theologian was pretty lovely, and they handled it about as badly as possible.

Being as straightforwardly good versus evil as possible would be the best choice for Ubisoft considering their inept storytelling.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 23:55 on May 24, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Far Cry 2 and 3 were straightforward self-centered survival stories. The entire series has kinda been focused around that.

Far Cry 4 has you intruding on a civil war in order to finish a personal pilgrimage, and you have to choose which leader of the Good Guy Team you want to win, only it turns out Both Sides Are Bad.

The game doesn't in any way bother to address the fact that you're casting your lot with gross shitheads for personal gain, because your enemies, the Not Northern Koreans, are also bad. It's really tactless and dumb. Thankfully the game is still good Far Cry stuff.

e: Also whether or not you side with Amita or Sabal gives you different missions, but their missions are not internally consistent. It's not like one path is the stealth path and the other is the combat path. It's literally asking you to make the dumbest moral choice in gaming.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 00:12 on May 25, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
^^ yeah that is actually a PYF little thing about Far Cry 4.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Pastry of the Year posted:

...sounds loving great?

Oh for sure, I'm just saying moral ambiguity is not something I'm looking for while I'm doing that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, why can't the Far Cry series go back to grounded, apolitical stories about white Americans murdering thousands of brown people with bazookas and machine guns while wrapping themselves in the totems of the culture they're actively fighting against.

lol good point, idiot, that's p much what I was getting at

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I hope they have exactly one as a dude's exotic pet and it's just the same tiger from FC3.

You know it's gonna have all the same guns though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were in the same engine too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Far Cry 3 and 4 put the bad guy on the cover.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The ps2 game Baroque did some interesting stuff with that.

Unfortunately Baroque was impenetrable garbage.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've watched a few streams of Friday the 13th and the kills are loving glorious.

A lot more satisfying than many of the films tbh

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm just starting into Nier: Automata but my favorite thing is that 2B is voiced by the same VA who played the girl in those ludicrous Trapped flash games that Slowbeef made fun of a long time ago.

You cannot be serious.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
And poor Dan McNeely is still languishing in obscurity. :sigh:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've never played the game but I've watched streams, is Jason allowed to teleport or something?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
He keeps saying it until Jason buries his machete in the dude's face so hard it splits him in half.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It did actually get a Steam release.

It should go without saying but the game is unquestionably worth the $15 price tag.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You would probably really enjoy the hell out of Factorio, although it takes the opposite approach from Afterlife since mass-production is kind of the point of the game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Skyrim's combat on a controller wouldn't be a big deal but the loving garbage diaper UI is a nightmare enough with kbm.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Breaking poo poo in Red Faction: Guerrilla is so grossly satisfying, and I love that they waste no time in giving you everything you need to rip Mars apart.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In Red Faction Guerrilla, I was wondering why trucks kept zipping up near me and honking at me while I was in the middle of nowhere looking for ores.

...The game will deliver you a vehicle if there aren't any nearby. Tremendously convenient!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I just wanna say how much I love your videos, Mr. Griffin McElroy of Polygon Dot Com.

Nah he would have called him Pizza Boy if it was Griffin McElroy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

PubicMice posted:

This is the thing that gets to me, people almost never check the buttons in a new game. I don't know if it's something only fighting game players do and I just picked it up from there or what, but button checking is always the first thing I do in any game, it just makes sense!

Because games these days have in-game tutorials for what the buttons do. And it's a lot more intuitive and fun to learn the controls as you go than it is to stare at a list of controls and try to memorize them, especially when some of the controls are for bizarre game-specific actions.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

PubicMice posted:

But you don't have to look at anything to button check, you literally just press the buttons and see what the little man on the screen does when you do.

Oh I see what you mean, I thought you meant looking in the options menu for the keybinds. :shobon:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Isn't it still possible in CSGO to kill someone by bonking them on the head with a flash grenade?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I love how accommodating A Link to the Past is for speedy play if you know what you're doing. Most of the Zeldas since Ocarina have had a lot of pacing issues and downtime between dungeons but LttP doesn't gently caress around. You can go directly to Eastern Palace directly after the castle escape if you want, and once you reach the Dark World your only option is to go directly to Palace of Darkness, which is a nice wake up call since the crystal dungeons are much harder than the pendant ones.

I remember the game took me a good while to beat on my first playthrough (in part because it's pretty challenging for a rookie) but I fired the game up for the first time in 3 years and I was flying through the dungeons and loving the pacing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Only a couple bosses require the dungeon item to actually beat -- I think just the Darkness, Swamp and Ice bosses. And yeah, it's just a case of mashing the item key until it stops working before transitioning to sword.

Although my favorite is the Turtle Rock boss, which requires the Ice Rod... an item you can get before Eastern Palace and has no real use anywhere until you're locked in the boss room. :haw:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I absolutely love the LttP sprites and I wish pink hair Link was given some kind of acknowledgement in games that have skin options like Smash or Hyrule Warriors.

Man LttP is such a fuckin good as hell video game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Andy is an absolute machine of a speed runner. LttP is a really hard game when you're going fast and skipping safety items like fairies, extra hearts and the blue mail.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RedMagus posted:

I've gotten addicted to watching both the speedruns, and the LttP randomizer races. Watching all the weird tricks and glitches you can do is kind of amazing to see in action, i just wish they were present in the updated versions of the game.

The LttP Randomizer races are super cool to watch. There was a huge tournament that you don't need to watch all of but the best-of-5 finals are pretty goddamn insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Leavemywife posted:

brb digging out my copies of Aria and Dawn of Sorrow

Seriously, those games were the poo poo. Excellent exploration, cool mechanics, neat gimmicks, and a neat cast of characters.

Great music too.

Dawn of Sorrow was a fantastic game and if it weren't for the really dumb rune drawing after each boss it would be pretty nearly flawless. One of my favorite DS games, for sure.