Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Durability in Minecraft is why they never should have implemented hunger, which is one of the worst systems I've ever seen added to a game.

Hunger is alright, the pain in the rear end comes from fall damage being way too punishing and making you drain a bunch of meter to replenish the constant chip damage from descending into any cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RCarr posted:

There's something similar in Super Mario RPG, where you first meet Mallow. You get asked to take him along on your quest with a yes/no prompt. If you say no it will just continue to ask your over and over until you choose yes.

Pretty sure “but thou must” is a thing from the first Final Fantasy, if not earlier.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh yeah, I got the ancient JRPGs mixed up is all.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Moon Monster posted:

Also I don't know how it is in Sm5sh but the final smash balance in previous games has been mindblowingly awful.

It’s still pretty bad, but made better by FS being chargeable through combat, since it makes getting them more reliable, but they’re also weaker. They aren’t really decisive unless you have a lot of damage, don’t have such a commanding presence on the field, and feel a little more comparable to supers in real fighting games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Danaru posted:

Hitman 2 has a mission where a target is getting a heart transplant, and because he has Situs Inversus, he has to get a transplant from someone else with Situs Inversus, so the heart is extremely rare. You can complete the contract by destroying the heart, but theres also a challenge for destroying the heart, then killing the target anyway.

Bonus points because I drunkenly tried to do another challenge and got my cover blown, so I clonked ten people with a hammer and shot the target seven times, and the challenge title "I Think He Is Dead Now" popped up :allears:

Hitman 2016/2018 are games with an absolute mountain of PYF little things. If you're sneaky enough, you get a challenge for walking up to the target in the classic Hitman Suit and taunting him (since he betrayed your organization) before killing him. You can also just shoot his replacement heart through the glass and be done. Or there's a handful of ways to get into the room, in which case you can just grab it and toss it in the trash. Or you can hack into the AI that controls the hospital and bungle the operation (which also has its own super-deep easter egg!).

After you reach a certain level of mastery you can play through the level as a ninja. The ninja outfit is not accessible anywhere in the level, so you need to unlock this special starting location (which is on the mountain) where you start dressed as a ninja with a katana. The trick is that, as the ninja, you are marked as kill-on-sight to everyone, everywhere, so the Silent Ninja challenge for that mission (only kill the targets, never get compromised, etc) is one of the most skillful or save-scummy challenges in the game.

There's also a DDR setup in some employee break room on that map. Agent 47 is extremely bad at DDR and will lose if you play it... unless you play as the ninja, in which case you do really well.

In Hitman 2 (2018) you can knock out NPCs by tossing a rake on the ground and waiting for them to step on it, like that Simpsons bit.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Feb 21, 2019

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Trails in the Sky has snarky remarks for every chest you open in the game, and they’re all unique. It owns.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It really can’t be overstated how good the heat move animations are in Yakuza 0, and how much work they do to make the combat fun.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Honestly, I think Kuze was a better villain than Ryuji

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah!
I normally only play Hitman is the most ghost melee way possible. No guns, no gadget. Just me, my garotte and an ocean of patience.

But seeing all those suggestions really opened up the game for me and I ended up having way more fun.

Definitely the same for me. The mission stories were such a good way to learn about each level and all the different options and tools at your disposal, and after finishing them I felt very well prepared for going after the challenging stuff like SASO.

The only thing I wish is that Hitman Roulette was an integrated game type rather than off of a fan website. Being given a random mission and random restrictions to gently caress around with on some of the hugely expansive maps like Sapienza and Miami would make it pretty much endlessly replayable.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
A few of the Contracts were extremely interesting and creative, and allowed for a lot of flexibility while still working on an odd theme (like killing all of the garbage men in Whittleton). There was one featured contract where you had to kill 5 different randos in Miami and escape within 5 minutes, but the layout of the targets was such that the routing was actually interesting.

Most Contracts are insane bullshit created with exactly one path in mind to complete.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CzarChasm posted:

Another one that I really liked was when you are boating around with Mimir and he starts to tell a story, if you land the boat, he'll stop and say "But we'll pick this up again later". Then when you get back on the boat, Atraeus will get him started again, and he'll go "Now where was I? Oh right - " and continue from the last line he told. Rinse and repeat for every story. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a break point built in after every sentence or two where Mimir can drop off and pick up again for every story that he tells.

From a programming POV it's pretty simple, just put a flag after every line in the story after it's been played and the next time story time rolls around, look for the last flag. But the effect of it is really neat.

A lot of more recent games do this and I really appreciate it. I noticed it first in GTA 5, but it comes up a lot in Spider-Man too, to help restore a bit of narrative if you get interrupted while going from A to B.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nier Automata.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Danaru posted:

I honestly weirdly like the product placement in Yakuza. Theres a sense of "hey this is actually what some places in Japan are like" that makes me happy :unsmith: plus being able to grab a Boss coffee from a vending machine is more tasteful than Gladiolus slamming a cup noodle into the camera and screaming "THIS IS YOUR GOD" in FFXV

This plus the fact that flagrant consumerism and exploitation is a thing in 0 especially gives it a bit more authenticity in a way that isn’t flagrantly mercantile on the dev’s part.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Taeke posted:

I really should give the Hitman games a serious shot, sounds like a riot. I never played past the intro mission on the fake boat because life happened and I got distractes by other games.

The new Hitman games are genuinely great, I would thoroughly recommend it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That bank level is great, top notch stuff. The resort that they just released is a lot bigger but is kinda lacking in those small details that makes the good Hitman levels great.

Like, I’d take a level like Whittleton over a sprawling mess of nonsense like Colombia any day.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mumbai is a three target level and that one is great. It’s really just Colombia and Maldives that feel a little bloated.

You’re still basically right anyway because Colorado is the single worst map in either of the Nu Hitman levels and has four targets for no good reason at all.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I didn't like Colorado because a map where there are no civilian outfits and the 47 Suit is KOS everywhere removes a lot of the fun nuance of better Hitman 2016 maps like Paris or Hokkaido, and the outfits that do exist on the map are not different enough from each other to make that part interesting either.

Also if you're going for Silent Assassin Suit Only Master it's basically impossible without a guide.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The ninja challenge is just that though, a challenge. It is a ton of fun, you're right, but it stands on the shoulders of a map that's already one of the best in either Nu Hitman game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bangkok is obnoxiously laid out but I’d still rather take that one. SASO was a pain in the rear end though. It beats flat farmland with a house and a barn.

Both maps have terrible escalations though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You need a goddamn spreadsheet to figure out how to buy Hitman 1+2 with all levels plus updates.

Yeah it might be the most pointlessly convoluted dlc structure I’ve ever seen. All I wanted was to pay money and receive content, and it’s too loving confusing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Red Faction Guerrilla is just one hell of a good video game, that’s a quality blowing poo poo up experience right there.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Sleeping Dogs is a fuckin great game that really found the ideal balance for a GTA-style open world game. The brawling was awesome, the shooting worked well and the parkour and driving were fun too. Plus it had a solid story that didn’t try to own the player with lame gotchas like GTA5.

I wish they’d make a sequel, especially if it could lean even more into the environmental interactions. Smashing a dude into a fish tank so hard it breaks, then grabbing a fish and clobbering the next guy with it, is some fuckin peak Hong Kong action.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nah, Wei Shen, like Kiryu Kazuma, has never killed anyone in his life.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only thing I’d recommend in that score then is basically doing as little of the optional content as possible and just going down the main quests. That’s usually what I do.

If that still isn’t working out for you then it might not be your jam :(

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bussamove posted:

Kiryu doesn’t even own a gun.

But he finds an awful lot of them on corpses poor beaten up bad guys.

I sincerely love the lengths the Yakuza games go to ignore the gameplay elements in their cutscenes.

The side story in 0 where you get the kid his video game back from a thief ends with you confronting his dad, who unwittingly stole it from another thief who stole it from the thief who robbed the kid. It’s a good quest and each confrontation with Kiryu escalates; the dad pulls a loving gun on you and will straight shoot your rear end over it. Then when you beat him the kid comes up and sees his dad with the game and Kitty’s like yeah I found the game and gave it to your old man, everything is great! Casually ignoring that he just got perforated by the dude.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mad Max, Arkham City and Horizon are nothing like Sleeping Dogs what the hell lol.

They're all also good games but I would not compare them to each other.

Also if you're going to attempt to name a game better than Sleeping Dogs you can surely do better than fuckin Saints Row, sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The best one remains Yakuza 0. It’s a prequel and thus requires no real knowledge of the events in the later games, so it’s also a real good place to get started, but it’s mechanically drat well refined compared to most of the sequels (which were made beforehand).