Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

I tried that in early access and had some fun with it but there really wasn't enough there to hold me. Have they put a little more meat on it?

I think so? I haven't touched the game in a while (in my last playthrough a lot of fan resources weren't out yet, so I'm in the dark over what is actually-new and not-new-just-didn't-know-about) and so I'm still in the mid-to-early stages of a replay, so I don't have much of an idea on if it's just the few Space Elevator stages like the last time I played.

They had a "end of August" patch and a recent one that includes trains and nuclear power (which is interesting, incredibly high energy output but you've got to do something with the waste), so my guess is "yes", but YMMV.

Oh, and here's content about the game: the object itself is a WIP, but there's an item called the Somersloop that, down the line, will be for... something. The tooltip says A strange alien thing with a mind-bending yet somehow familiar shape. Of course it's familiar, it's that S everyone in the 90s drew. Sure. it's an injoke/gag, but at the same time the design is such that still manages to slot itself into an Alien Thing in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Dash Rendar posted:

Star Control: Origins has a planet called Myanus. it's covered in useless minerals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-CDNLYZ0zA

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SiKboy posted:

At this point I unironically have a favourite restaurant in a fictional city.
Hell, knowing Yakuza, it might be a real restaurant!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SiKboy posted:

At this point I unironically have a favourite restaurant in a fictional city.

If I could go drink in Earth Angel and shoot the poo poo with Mama in real life I would in a heartbeat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hirayuki posted:

Hell, knowing Yakuza, it might be a real restaurant!

There's one in Kiwami 2 that is! Gyu-Kaku, it's one of those places that serves meat and you cook it yourself. There's one here and I've eaten there, and when I saw it in game the first thing I did was order the exact same thing I had, it even uses the same pictures they had on the menu.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Nuebot posted:

There's one in Kiwami 2 that is! Gyu-Kaku, it's one of those places that serves meat and you cook it yourself. There's one here and I've eaten there, and when I saw it in game the first thing I did was order the exact same thing I had, it even uses the same pictures they had on the menu.

The Kani Doraku is a real place too. They even modeled the loving crab tank.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I think there's at least one more real-life place in there, too. I want to say...Watami (和民)?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly weirdly like the product placement in Yakuza. Theres a sense of "hey this is actually what some places in Japan are like" that makes me happy :unsmith: plus being able to grab a Boss coffee from a vending machine is more tasteful than Gladiolus slamming a cup noodle into the camera and screaming "THIS IS YOUR GOD" in FFXV

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

i love this one too. it's so dumb but so good.

Found another Star Control Origins easter egg... there is a system that has the planets Locutus, Riker's Landing Sisko's Refuge, and Futile.

edit... misremembered

Sally has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Aug 22, 2019

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Danaru posted:

I honestly weirdly like the product placement in Yakuza. Theres a sense of "hey this is actually what some places in Japan are like" that makes me happy :unsmith: plus being able to grab a Boss coffee from a vending machine is more tasteful than Gladiolus slamming a cup noodle into the camera and screaming "THIS IS YOUR GOD" in FFXV

This plus the fact that flagrant consumerism and exploitation is a thing in 0 especially gives it a bit more authenticity in a way that isn’t flagrantly mercantile on the dev’s part.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

I will not listen to such slander against my Lord and Savior, Cup Noodles! It has shrimp!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You take that back, Cup Noodles saved me when I was penniless and renting a couch in Sacramento!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The thing that made me like the Cup Noodle product placement in FFXV is learning how they recorded the lines. They did two takes for every line in that quest: one done straight, and one tongue-in-cheek where they were basically just making fun of the whole thing.

You can tell which takes got used.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Cup Noodle quest ending with Gladiolus proclaiming you can't improve on the perfection of the Cup Noodle was fantastic, I don't know how you can hate that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

GrandmaParty posted:

The Kani Doraku is a real place too. They even modeled the loving crab tank.

I saw that crab tank when I went there and spent a little bit admiring it because I love places with those crab tanks. I'm the weird one.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm replaying MGS3 and just beat The End fight. I know it's hardly the most original sentiment but goddamn it's amazing. Most other times I've played the game I've cheesed it with IR goggles, but this time I wanted to actually outsnipe him. If you do that it's kind of an exam on how well you understand the game's systems, using everything about camouflage, movement, your gadgets, observation of the way the jungle behaves and the movement of animals, listening carefully to hear him breathing/snoring. It's so much fun.

And you get The Ladder right afterwards, which is the cherry on the cake.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I get such a ridiculous craving for all different kinds of Japanese food and liquor every time I play a Yakuza game. I don't know how they do it, but they just make everything look so appealing.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The only time I fought the End I immediately set the systems clock forward and killed him by old age. Younger me was a dumbass and robbed myself of an excellent boss battle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moosecow333 posted:

The only time I fought the End I immediately set the systems clock forward and killed him by old age. Younger me was a dumbass and robbed myself of an excellent boss battle.

I felt bad and loaded my save to fight him with thermal goggles

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I always used the old reliable method, getting shot. The way I fall down is the opposite of where he is :eng101:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I picked Mad Max back up again after dropping it a while ago and for how :mediocre: the game is overall, I think it really is the perfect setting for an open world game like this. The driving and vehicle combat make traveling quick and fun enough that I hardly ever use fast travel, which is something I can't say for any other game I've played in the genre.

Also in most of the camps there are drummers suspended over combat arenas to buff the enemies, sort of like the flamethrower guitar guy in Fury Road. Normally you'd spend ammo or find some other way to take him out quickly but if you ignore him and defeat all his allies anyway, he'll just hang there nervously and try to talk you into letting him live. It's a nice little reward for doing things the hard way.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Aug 23, 2019

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hardcordion posted:

I picked Mad Max back up again after dropping it a while ago and for how :mediocre: the game is overall, I think it really is the perfect setting for an open world game like this. The driving and vehicle combat make traveling quick and fun enough that I hardly ever use fast travel, which is something I can't say for any other game I've played in the genre.

Also in most of the camps there are drummers suspended over combat arenas to buff the enemies, sort of like the flamethrower guitar guy in Fury Road. Normally you'd spend ammo or find some other way to take him out quickly but if you ignore him and defeat all his allies anyway, he'll just hang there nervously and try to talk you into letting him live. It's a nice little reward for doing things the hard way.

"So, uh, maybe you haven't heard but you're not supposed to kill the crier. Just letting you know."

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The very first time I played MGS3 I shot The End when he's first seen in that wheelchair, even though I pretty much never play stealth games impulsively and without scoping everything out first. I've heard how amazing the sniper battle actually is but I never want to overwrite that first action.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm replaying MGS3 and just beat The End fight. I know it's hardly the most original sentiment but goddamn it's amazing. Most other times I've played the game I've cheesed it with IR goggles, but this time I wanted to actually outsnipe him. If you do that it's kind of an exam on how well you understand the game's systems, using everything about camouflage, movement, your gadgets, observation of the way the jungle behaves and the movement of animals, listening carefully to hear him breathing/snoring. It's so much fun.

And you get The Ladder right afterwards, which is the cherry on the cake.

I've never owned a PlayStation so I've never played any MGS except for Revengance but is this a boss battle with an old man who randomly falls asleep? I've read about this particular battle before (it's just so drat famous for how you can cheese it) but I didn't know that happened as well. If it's something like the difficulty is tied to how deep a sleeper he is then that sounds as interesting and unique a mechanic as any I've ever seen.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

el oso posted:

The very first time I played MGS3 I shot The End when he's first seen in that wheelchair, even though I pretty much never play stealth games impulsively and without scoping everything out first. I've heard how amazing the sniper battle actually is but I never want to overwrite that first action.

Did you get beaned with his wheelchair

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

I've never owned a PlayStation so I've never played any MGS except for Revengance but is this a boss battle with an old man who randomly falls asleep? I've read about this particular battle before (it's just so drat famous for how you can cheese it) but I didn't know that happened as well. If it's something like the difficulty is tied to how deep a sleeper he is then that sounds as interesting and unique a mechanic as any I've ever seen.

He's over a hundred years old, so maximises his time left to live by sleeping as much as possible. If you go a decent amount of time without disturbing him he falls asleep and begins to gently snore. You can then use that snoring sound to work out where he is and surprise him (or veeeeery quietly sneak up on him from behind and hold him up). And if you really want to cheese it you can just save the game and wait a week and he'll have died in his sleep of old age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy2cwRK_yQU

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Aug 23, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jojoinnit posted:

The battle takes place across an enormous area (three separate "rooms") and it's a very visually busy environment so his camo is quite effective. Trying to bumrush him for sick noscopes absolutely does not work so you spend most of your time in stealth or cover trying to spot him before he spots you. This leads to extended periods in which you aren't directly exchanging fire and quite often you're not even anywhere near each other and don't realize it for a while. The sleeping is one of several ways the game makes him easier to detect from a distance so it's not *too* long until you get another chance to do damage or for something exciting to happen.

If you actually do get close to him he leaps up, throws a flashbang, and books it to one of the other rooms, so he's not *always* a stereotypical old man, just one with a lot of quirks that also happen to produce intriguing gameplay mechanics (kojima in a nutshell really).

haveblue has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Aug 23, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Aside from all the million cool things in The End bossfight, it highlights how effective camo can be and makes you feel what all the enemies you've encountered so far felt, as they passed right through you only to get knocked down on their asses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I appreciate you can kill and eat his bird and it is furious at you in the afterlife.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

I appreciate you can kill and eat his bird and it is furious at you in the afterlife.

Yep. I had a Sorrow fight that consisted only of a furious, pecking bird and like five mooks once.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The End also doesn't kill you, he just tranqs you and puts you back in prison (where you met Granin an hour before the boss fight).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exit Strategy posted:

Yep. I had a Sorrow fight that consisted only of a furious, pecking bird and like five mooks once.

If you went through the game killing as many guards as you could the afterlife dream can take a while...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Barudak posted:

I don't understand this but it sounds magical :allears:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

charging around the arena with a shotgun firing wildly towards any sign of movement is surprisingly effective and also extremely funny

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
The one thing that sucks a bit in the fight is that at some point The End would do photosynthesis to regenerate his health and if you somehow missed the chance to stop him it'd make the whole thing last even longer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The End is where I quit MGS3, because fighting an enemy that will regenerate health and carry you to another area if he beats you just isn't any fun.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Alhazred posted:

The End is where I quit MGS3, because fighting an enemy that will regenerate health and carry you to another area if he beats you just isn't any fun.

Counterpoint: it somehow totally is.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Alhazred posted:

Luckily, it's probably been long enough that if you get back into it, it won't be a problem anymore!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

I don't understand this but it sounds magical :allears:

YOU loving ATE ME!

I just felt bad for all the guys I nut-shotted. They were... less than pleased to see me again.

e: MGS3 emulation is a thing, upon searching the interwebz. A used PS2 is also pretty cheap, plus you can play all the Ace Combat games properly*. I'd pay $50-60 to play it for the first time.

*Probably matters more to me than anyone else.

madeintaipei has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I never even got as far as The End, and that fight sounds like torture, because I am just awful at stealth. MGS3 is where I gave up on the series, because I found it unplayable without the clear radar screen that shows the cone of vision for every enemy, and it introduced so many new systems that just felt like busywork.

Honestly, I don't think I ever really cared for MGS except for the boss fights and bizarre parts. Which are excellent. I had Arsenal Gear in MGS2 almost completely spoiled for me, and I still loved every minute of it. :allears:

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Aug 23, 2019