Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

In Saints Row IV they had a whole mission that was basically Metal Gear Solid Saints Row style. You got to hide in a cardboard box, crawl through a vent, avoid the guard to prevent an exclamation mark appearing above his head.. All with hilarious commentary. "Why waste two bullets on shooting out those lights when I could use just one on the guard?" It was awesome.

"Asha, that light bulb had a family."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Playing Syndicate right now (it's $10 on Origin) and there's a part early on where you rush into a nightclub. The civilians take a second to realize that you're running around with an assault rifle and then freak out. What's cool is that it only happens to the ones that immediately see you. I turned to my left and pointed the barrel of my rifle to another person after freaking out everyone in front of me and the person had the same delay before her reaction.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Just finished Tomb Raider. Despite the dark stuff that's at the beginning, I like the direction the series is going. Instead of her signature dual pistols, Lara relies more on a bow. There's a character in the game who's a mentor figure to Lara and happens to prefer dual pistols. I thought she was gonna take a second pistol from him but it never happens. However, the final boss fight is a QTE sequence which ends with Lara taking the guy's pistol and dual-wielding him off the edge.

The game's stealth is pretty basic but I cleared an area of enemies with just my bow and hiding in shrubs and behind trees. I hope the sequel expands on that.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

pentyne posted:

The Splinter Cell games have always had great dialogue. Same as the Batman Arkham series, the leftover NPC's get progressively more freaked out until its one guy screaming at the walls and firing randomly into the darkness.

Chaos Theory had some funny exchanges but Conviction has the mouthiest thugs. That Penny Arcade cartoon is not exaggerating. It works in the game's favor, though, because I'm all for shooting a guy in the face for calling my dead daughter a whore.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

oldpainless posted:

When does Batman beat the poo poo out of Harley during a boss fight?

He doesn't it's Robin DLC.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Its interesting to see what they could come up with that would be as devastatingly violent as the fatalities in mortal kombat, but still have a T rating, and not get in trouble with DC.

My favourite is The flash running around the world to punch the other dude in the face.

Aquaman impales his enemy to the floor with his trident and does some sea-themed attacks and caps it all with a shark taking you out.

Said it before, but I like how one of the alternate skins for Green Lantern is John Stewart and his voice actor is Phil Lamarr.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I'm almost done with STALKER SoC. Seeing random things happen in the middle of firefights is really cool. There's a group of bandits behind the train station in the Garbage and in the middle of that fight a pack of dogs were chasing a flesh around.

There's locational damage in the game but I never picked up on it until I kneecapped a guy at point-blank range and he fell over and picked himself up. I used that time to finish him off. I've shot up packs of dogs and when they're really injured they'll limp with one paw up.

At the end of one firefight near the Red Forest an enemy got swept up in an anomaly and I got to see him explode into gibs. One of the fights had a guy walk into a lightning anomaly and died from the shock.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I spent longer than I should have on the sixth colossus fight trying to figure out how to climb up one of his arms until it dawned on me that the game wanted me to climb up his beard when he bent over to look for me in the tunnel.

That game had the best puzzle bosses.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

From Software's thing seems to be making games with absolutely no regard as to whether or not there's an audience; they're just gonna make this thing, give no regard to market demands, release it, and if you like it then awesome.

I think the Souls games hit home because they tapped into something people really wanted, and did it really well. I've never played any of their other games, but it sounded like much the same approach.

I dunno if they got anything out of Armored Core, but I really want a new Tenchu to make up for Z.

TaurusTorus posted:

gently caress that part on a non lethal run :shepicide:

Yeah, I hated that part too.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
You couldn't blackjack dudes once they were on alert in the older thief games. The oh poo poo item was smoke bombs and even then it took a while for enemies to calm down.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I played pretty conservatively in Dishonored and save scummed even though it wasn't necessary. But when you go all out in this game it's the best.

I froze time, tranq'd three or four guards and ran up to a powering station and took its oil canister off so the tesla coil wouldn't waste me. When time resumed the darts hit their targets and dropped everyone. Such a great moment.

Also I like how Dishonored is built on the Unreal engine but shows its Half Life 2 influence with the oil canisters.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

haveblue posted:

The HL2 influence is everywhere and even more obvious with the architecture and the machinery that looks like what you'd get if the Combine were really into steampunk. This is because they brought in the same guy responsible for HL2's look to design the city.

It's not so much the art of the game for me, but Dishonored's technology reminds me of Half Life 2. All the security systems are connected to a power source, namely the whale oil canisters.

They are so obviously made with video-gamey proportions.

They remind me of these.

They're health stations from Sin Episodes. Some of them needed a health canister to work and they're just as clunky as ones in Dishonored. They're derivative of the health stations in Half Life.

I say Half Life 2 instead of Sin because I've played a handful of sourcemods that required you to carry an object to a fixed station to get it to work.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kenny Logins posted:

Oh no everyone in Dunwall has cancer :ohdear:

The unintended side effects of handling whale oil

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

triplexpac posted:

Wow I completely missed ALL of that, I barely bothered to use homies

It's a hassle when you're cycling through homies and trying out different combinations. You have to dismiss your whole party, wait until they're far enough away from each other, and then recruit the one you want without triggering the other homies you dismissed. But it's still really cool to see how everyone has opinions on everyone else.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Which brings us right back to SR4: Enter the Dominatrix. It's like a DVD extra with cast interviews and everything.

Words can't properly express my love for Saints Row

That was such a ballsy move to release a virtually unfinished product and frame it in cutscenes as a behind the scenes feature. And it didn't disappoint.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The transforming vehicle gimmick of Crackdown was rad enough, a Saints Row take on it would probably be incredible.

Tie it in with rim jobs. You select vehicles you've driven and customize it's parts. The next time you drive that vehicle It transforms as you drive it

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

The super powers have some of the best side effects too. Nothing beats whizzing down the street at the speed of sound with a tornado in your wake.

Also, this may be the weirdest little thing I've ever noticed in a game, but SRIV has the most dream-like falling I've ever seen. Jumping off a tower and just letting the Boss fall feels like when I have dreams about falling. I can't explain it better than that.

Falling feels different than in 3. 3 pulls the camera close to the player and has that rushing wind sound effect to simulate free falling. 4 is more like you're jumping with moon gravity.

I like the free falling in GTA V. Streaks in the air trail after your hands and legs.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

This was good especially if you had a little sibling who wanted to play but didn't get in your way.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had a pretty kick-rear end co-op. It was separate but related to the main story line with Sam, but you played as 2 other agents. Interaction with Lambert and Grim and all that jazz was still there. I think there may have been some dialog with Sam, but I can't remember for sure. Been a while since I played.

I can say that playing co-op via local system link in separate rooms with headsets is the best way to play it though.

Conviction's coop is pretty good and has its own story that leads into the main game. The finale's pretty great if it's both players' first time through.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Babe Magnet posted:

Any co-op game where you can gently caress each other over is guaranteed to be at least a little bit amazing.

See: almost every Mario game in the past decade or so.

New Super Mario Bros. U

It is so easy to gently caress each other over in this game. You will always jump too close to your partner and then bounce off of them to get big air while they fall into the pit or you'll bounce them into the path of a Bullet Bill. It's great.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kruller posted:

The counter to that was whatever Mario game had them appear in a bubble if they died. My nephew wasn't very co-op friendly and kept getting me killed, so I chucked him down a hole and cleared the level, dodging him every time he tried to get close to get busted out. It was like a whole extra level of fun to be had.

Ride a Yoshi and then eat him. Jump off a pit and ditch your Yoshi.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Got back into TF2. The new demo shield is so beautifully broken and op. I never demoknighted but I've been chaining charge kills with it and tanking hits with my katana.

Also conga line taunt is great.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

muscles like this? posted:

Ground Zeroes would probably be a good starting point since it has a ton of the backstory baked in and it is made on the same engine so it plays the same, unlike the earlier ones which are kind of all over the place.

Yeah GZ has a enough of the characters present - and some heard over the radio- that you'll get the gist of who's who and which side they're on. This is the first Metal Gear game where the story takes a backseat and the gameplay is the main focus so don't sweat it if you don't pick up on certain name drops.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Rama of Ra posted:

This. I still have swinging dreams. And finally unlocking all your stunt tricks is the best. Finally jumping off the Empire State Building (which I think is the only building high enough to do this) and pulling off your whole stunt routine was something.

http://www.happionlabs.com/energy-hook/

The guy behind the swinging physics in Spider-Man 2 made his own game that's all about doing swinging stunts.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I feel so uncreative because my MGS5 logo is BOX WHISKEY.

I got PURPLE MAMBA after using NAKED OPERATIONS for a while.

There's a metal container at the employee entrance where I work and I keep wanting to climb it and fulton out.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I got in a fight the other day and after knocking the guy out I accidentally fulton extracted him without thinking. Don't know where I even got the device and have no idea where the guy went.

What do I do?

Didn't even check his stats before extracting? Pssh :reject:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

Eh, yes and no. It's a sequel to two games, prequel to the others. It stands on its own very well and for the most part all you really get is explanations that weren't completely necessary to enjoy the games they explain. The downside is that this is probably one of the best MGS games in that it's really open in how you can approach most scenarios and while it favors stealth, you can definitely just go in guns blazing which earlier games didn't really let you do as well. Going back to the old games will be rough.

MGS4 is the middle ground between the older games' handling and the newer games' shooter controls and light platforming. I never played Subsistence but I know the camera got reworked during that time so you don't have to deal with fixed angles anymore.

One of the better changes the newer games do is they don't have a big flashing red alert screen when you're in combat mode. That would discourage gunfights back then even in 4 which introduced the war economy that would be the precursor to weapon development in the Big Boss games.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I enjoyed V so much that I'm actually thinking about finally playing 4. I've gone insane.

4 is Kojima at his most Kojima, for better or worse. If you have the time to sit around and watch a few hours' worth of cutscenes while you sneak around go for it. It has my favorite boss fights in the series.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Thin Privilege posted:

How do you abandon the box?

press the dive button. make sure you're facing away from the guards or you'll pop out in front of them.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Peace Walker feels like Kojima wanted to experiment with something light on the technical scale before taking his ideas and putting them onto a home console. I'm saying this purely on the comparison between PW and PP.

I do miss some of the more out there side ops and I feel like what you were saying about the Battle Gear is due to cut content. There's a lot of set up and absolutely no pay off with that thing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

Yes but you can't customize grenades in MGSV unless I'm missing something. For some reason I can't customize my rocket launchers either.

Oh.

The most my FB launcher can switch is whether I want a flashlight or laser sights. When I try to glitch both attachments it's impossible to aim with first person.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

TontoCorazon posted:

In Super Mario World when riding Yoshi bongos and percussion gets introduced into the already playing track. Yoshi has his own set of music for every song in that game. I don't know if there was any additions to the boss music. I think it even changed the over-world music too.

I don't think there would be for the boss fights. Mario leaves Yoshi at the entrance before every boss level.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

:aaaaa: I never even thought to do that in 2!

now that's some lateral thinking!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Thin Privilege posted:

I didn't realize there was actually a use for the speaker, I will develop it now

No, box all the way.

I think it's actually the speakers of your walkman that give the sound. The Idroid's speakers are just to notify you of changes to the game state audibly.

There's definitely tapes out there you can use your walkman speaker to help you out, though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

Pretty much everything Huey says is discredited by something else he says, it's actually pretty great. I really like the one time when it's clear he's telling the truth, though.

He is the one guy that seriously calls Mother Base out for declaring, despite all evidence, that D-Dog is a dog and not a wolf. That they just claim things to be a certain way to have a sense of belonging and purpose. In one fell swoop he explains his own motivations, Miller's weird and arbitrary conclusions of who to trust, arguably Eli's whole deal, and provides one of the only actual pieces of foreshadowing as to the deal with Big Boss.

I really was willing to give him a lot of rope until the AI pod played its last recording. Then I was all for stringing him up.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Syndicate 2012 was a crap game but at least it had an excellent flamethrower.

*FWOOOOSH* "YEEEEARGGGHHH"

edit:

Love a good flamethrower in a vg

Syndicate 2012 felt like a stylishly dumb action flick and I kinda appreciated it that way.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Samfucius posted:

What rain scene? The only rain scene I remember is one short one where Boss is walking to the helicopter and talking.

Get her bond up to max and ride back to mother base with her when it rains

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently there's another really creepy scene if you do the thing where you never have Snake take a shower and he gets all stinky. Quiet takes him into her cell and they shower together while everyone watches and comments.

The only cutscene I got for not showering was Ddog jumping on me and licking the dirt and blood off my face while Ocelot looked on with envy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'd heard about the Cobras being explained with the parasite stuff and I was really wary that it was Nanomachines all over again, but instead of spoiling them retroactively the whole thing was so wonderfully stupid that it made it even better. I think Code Talker even says that he couldn't get close to The Pain because he got attacked by bees :allears:

I gotta replay those tapes I must have done them in the middle of a mission and missed the details about the Fury and Volgin.

I think V does tailing objectives well, in that they're optional and aren't plot critical so you don't miss anything if you pass them but the conversations between characters foreshadow later events or give small bits of humor and drama to this virtual people.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Thin Privilege posted:

MGSV punching dudes in the face and them saluting and thanking me for it. Never gets old.

Shoot them in the face with the water pistol and then make it look like they pissed their pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
it puts out the oil drum fires outposts have at night as well