Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The protagonist's hometown gets attacked by bad guys at the start of the game, and a close friend of his is killed. He and another friend set off on a quest for revenge. You're expecting an "adult" character to pull him aside at some point and explain that revenge isn't healthy and to let it go, but it never happens. Everybody that joins the team is pro-"gently caress those jerks over" and the attitude never changes. From start to finish, you're on a singular quest to punish those responsible. It's so goddamn :black101:

Well, He does get over the revenge bit after his battle with Egil where he decides to spare him, at least until Dickson lives up to his name and then Zanza shows up and everyone is out for blood again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RareAcumen posted:

It's amazing how just having a motivation that you can emphasize with on any level works better than shifting protagonist age around and making them dumb. I've never played 12 so is Vaan supposed to be like an immigrant or something? I would assume that you'd know basic stuff about the city you live in, at the least.

Vaan lost his brother in the war against the bad guys.
Said bad guys throw a party in his hometown (which they took over) and he busts in to steal poo poo and just sort bumps into more interesting characters and what not.
From what I remember anyways.

edit:
I don't remember if they fleshed out his character much more than that in the sequel.
Hell, I don't even remember if they fleshed him out in Dissidia either.
He was pretty forgettable aside from him being Captain Basch.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Feb 1, 2015

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been playing KH:Dream drop, and I really like zipping all over the place.
Also I like when KH does live action levels because the contrast between actual proportioned people and huge wide-eyed anime children is pretty funny.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Che Delilas posted:

Don't forget FISTO. *WHIRRRRRRRR BZZZZZ PneumaticDrillNoise Pshhh*

I can't feel my legs!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

2house2fly posted:

One time a guy refused to get clean until I brought him 10 doses of anti-addiction drugs. I put on a lab coat, which allowed me to convince him he didn't need so much.

I convinced the White legs leader to gently caress off by wearing leopard print pajamas.
I convinced alot of people to do things while wearing leopard print pajamas.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Catpain Slack posted:

lovely minigames though. gently caress lightning dodging, gently caress blitzball and especially gently caress that seagulls catch-the-balloons chocobo race.

Not the butterflies. Anything but the butterflies. :ohdear:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Fallout 4, After leaving Dogmeat for Piper, I came back to Sanctuary several hours later and found him sitting in a dog house.
Dogmeat is a good dog.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Fallout 4, its really satisfying taming various animals and have them turn on their animal friends. Especially Yao-guai's.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I just noticed that in Fallout 4, you can filter your save files between different characters.
Not sure if anyone is at a point yet where they would want to do a second play-through yet but I think its a nice touch.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I ended up getting Bravely Second a few days ago, and I don't know why I did not get this game sooner. I was kind of putting it off because it looked too similar to the first game and the music I've heard was really samey but a lot of the new jobs and improvements in general are pretty great.

I'm really liking the spell caster ability/wizard job the most, where you can add effects to spells in battle like making them always go first, turning them to magic poison or even healing/buffing poison.
The ability to keep fighting battle's to multiply the rewards also makes grinding a lot more bearable than the first game and it's pretty fun to try to see how long you can keep the fights going.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mokinokaro posted:

Wizard is plain broken as it pairs with any other spellcaster set really well. Want summons that deal physical damage so they ignore elemental resistances? Want heals that cast over several turns? Want a healer enemy to blow its turns removing status effects? Wizard can do that.

Shame it can't seem to do anything to the Baal's clogging up the moon. Even the one's 1/5th my level. I've had Santa locked up there for a week and I cannot hurt this guy.

So, I've spent the entire game doing these side quests where you have to help one of two characters, the one you don't help, you fight and get his job.
As far as I knew, the other job you didn't get was lost forever but as it turns out you go back in time - and can redo the side quests.

I spent the whole game doing things that I felt was the right thing to do, and now I'm doing what I feel is the worst possible thing so I can get the other jobs and I actually feel kind of bad about some of these choices (or helping out the rear end in a top hat characters over the more sympathetic guys).

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Speaking of Zelda shopkeepers, I think it's pretty funny that the shopkeeper in Link's Awakening roasts you if you steal and comeback.
And then everyone on the island starts calling you THIEF. Really freaked me out as a kid.

Never stole from that man again.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Another Bravely Second thing. Getting close to the end, had to do a button mashing segment (like the crystals in the first one) to clear some fog blocking the celestial realm (which is just our world with a fancy name) the second the fog cleared up I was greeted by a path of stones floating over my ugly face.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
One last thing about Bravely Second thing, the final boss was pretty great.
Halfway through, he pauses the fight to formally address you for being an rear end in a top hat for playing video games, takes control of your game, goes back to the title screen and tries to delete your save file.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
One time I kept doing settlement quests to max out Preston's friendship and right as we were about to fight some raiders he pulled me over to talk about his problems. As we were both being pelted with bullets. I died.
The second time, I kept clicking fast to end it quicker and I ended up stabbing him accidentally with Pickman's blade. Hope that didn't mess anything up though because I think I offended him.

Also one time while defending one of the "mansion by the sea" settlements from mutants, a vertibird showed up, started gunning the mutants for like five seconds, and then crashed into them.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
That game had the best save guy.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been playing Paper Mario Color Splash, one of the levels is a military base - first thing you find when you start it is a toad hiding in an upside down cardboard box.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been playing Color Splash, and it's actually a pretty funny game that got a few laughs out of me so far. I stole a washing machine from a laundromat and wave after wave of enemies came in chiming in how I've ruined their clothes, the last one claiming if it wasn't for his sunglasses, he'd be naked. Enemies also chat during fights, I've run across a goomba who's come to "avenge his family".

You can also summon enemies as partners for one battle, I don't think its intentional but Boo's attack by slapping enemies and it reminded me of the good old days.

Game still has a few problems Sticker Star has, so I can't say I would recommend it to everybody but it feels a lot more balanced - I've yet to run out of cards, I'm constantly swimming in money to buy more cards.
I have come across a few instances where I probably would have died without a "thing" but the game actually gives you a heads up instead of just having you walk into a boss fight to die and there's a toad that gives you a hint of what you'll need in the next area.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
One of the boss fights in Paper Mario Colorsplash is a steak.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I finished Paper Mario Color Splash. Game isn't as good as the old ones, but it's a big step up from Sticker Star.
Final Boss was actually pretty entertaining, and unlike the previous game - I didn't have to reset a thousand times because he doesn't really need any "Things" and the new battle spinner lets you more or less buy a card every turn and it just got really down to the wire.
He also really tests your abilities unlike Sticker Stars - "bring everything and hope you get it right" final boss battle so it feels satisfying beating him.

Looking back, only beef I really have with this game is the rock,paper,scissor tournaments and 90% of the npcs are the same different colored toads, only way to really tell them apart is by their facial expression or wearing sunglasses, or very rarely, a different set of clothes.

No mustaches either so no Toadsworth - but Mario Kart is okay to reference, they even bring up the Luigi death glare.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Oct 31, 2016

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been playing Spirit Tracks on the Wii-U, riding the train is pretty relaxing and drawing hints you find on the map or just marking it makes me feel like an explorer.
Also, you can save state - which has come in handy when I want to quite during the tower of spirit segments, or as I just learned today - doing the duets.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Some more little things about Spirit Tracks, after having bad memories with the fire temple duet on the DS - I managed to get through after 8 tries without getting angry. For most of the game the spirit flute was the reason I wasn't really enjoying the game, but now that I've gotten the hang of it - the game is really good and I'm probably just saying since I was right outside the final boss battle when my DS game went missing years ago and I don't remember any more duets.

Also carrying cargo, passengers, etc. is strangely satisfying.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

m2pt5 posted:

I don't remember if it always eats at full speed, but Gyarados also eats beans in 2 bites.

I know some people don't like it, but in Pokemon Sun & Moon I rather like that instead of HM (Hidden Machine) moves to get around (which takes up some of your Pokemon's move slots), those types of abilities are tied to a variety of Ride Pokemon, which you can instantly call and ride just about anywhere outside. The first few you can get are a Tauros that can charge through rocks (and just run fast in general), a Stoutland to find hidden items, and a Lapras to carry you over water. (I think the Stoutland is missable and you don't actually need to be able to find hidden items.)

I'm glad that I don't need to set up my party to either have everyone know an HM, or have to resort to an HM slave.
I really like that when you catch pokemon with a full team - your asked if you want to switch it out with one of the people in your party.
I also really like all the new pokemon, I think this might be my favorite gen.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mazerunner posted:

what

who

this is one of the best improvements to the series ever and is something like everyone has been clamoring for since forever

Pokemon is one of those series that always gets a little bit better with each game for me.

Couldn't delete HM moves in the first game? Well here's a guy that can do that.
Want to relearn moves you deleted without having to raise a brand new pokemon? Well we have a guy for that too.
Want to actually use your tms instead of hoarding them like a goblin? Now you can use them forever.
Want to change your EV's so you can use your pokemon online? Now you can do that too.

Only thing that I find bad about pokemon, is that it's been getting really easy lately. However, some of these Totem pokemon have been just as challenging (or even more so) than gym leaders.
Actually had a pretty drawn out battle with the second totem pokemon who summoned a pokemon that could use heal pulse.
The fourth one I did last night actually got down to the wire - it was good against my starter who is always my strongest, and my bird and bug bus couldn't keep his hp down so we had to stall and wait for his pp to run out, and then I threw diglett at him to lower his speed (which was boosted at the start of the battle) times to make my team faster, was pretty much down to my starter who managed to finish him off with an echo voice while he was charging his solar blade - really looking forward to the next totem battle after that one.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Nov 22, 2016

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

dordreff posted:

They took super training out though, now you have to rely on their lovely Festival Plaza things (which you can only use once a day) and the old "fight hundreds of one specific pokemon" method. So online is once again going to be the exclusive province of crazy Smogon nerds.

Yeah. That's a big set back imo. My starter has become more or less Delphox but water/fairy so it's attack stat is useless and my edgy werewolf is a pure physical attacker/counterer that doesn't need special attack.
The reset bags were a really great thing in X,Y,remakes because you could more or less build a pokemon up the way you want too without having to start from scratch.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Nov 23, 2016

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

m2pt5 posted:

This, very much this. Guzma's in particular.

I didn't try it at the PC's home, but I got the same treatment from a different Meowth in a different house. On the fourth island, I think.

Speaking of Guzma, I really liked Team Skull's "base". Just some small town filled with graffiti, litter, and a mansion that's completely trashed with only one clean room belonging to a certain big sister.
I also like taking my pokemon out for malasadas. I try to that every time I get to a new island or beat a kahuna.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Danaru posted:

Speaking on this, in Paper Mario Colour Splash, the gag with the giant coin in the forest, and after all the build up of recolouring it and being able to finally take it, it make an extremely deep coin collection sound, but still only counted as one had me in stitches.

Honestly pretty much everything in Colour Splash could go here. That game was precious.

Huey was a much better partner than the one in Sticker Star and the game in general actually got a few laughs out of me. My favorite bit is when he stops you in the canyon to tell you how close you guys are and then a giant chain chomp busts through the wall and he runs off mid -sentence, then you find him again later keeping the hiding space warm for you

During the final battle the final boss will announce an attack called the final breath, I failed to block it - but lived and then the final boss did it again later on saying the last final breath was a warm up.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Pokemon Sun and Moon, if you have a full team and go to the daycare to pick up an egg, you can have it transferred to the pc, or swap it out with one of your party - like you can now do with a wild pokemon.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Quick thing in Pokemon Sun and Moon - outside the daycare there is a pretty long straight road perfect for charging around on tauros, on that road is a dancer who after you beat her, will tell you how trainers come by holding eggs and that she dances to cheer them on.
Also the perks you get for max befriending a pokemon are still great. During the professor battle my edgy werewolf got hit by a Z-move that she was weak too - held on with 1hp left so he wouldn't see me sad - and then her crunch hit a super-effective critical on the one pokemon that neither me or the rival chose (which was a pretty nice surprise in itself) because she wanted to be praised. :3:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Taerkar posted:

Happens in Fallout 4 too, including some of the 'go clear out this place' quests as well.

I took a grasshopper off a roof and it ended up completing a quest for Vincent. The downside is that now I can never pick up the case file in his office no matter how hard I mash buttons.
Also one time, I noticed a merchant was missing, so I looked up her ID and spawned her to me and was greeted by this thing:

Being able to revive merchants or warp them to you is one of the reasons I can no longer play Fallout on consoles.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

That was especially lovely since in 4 like three of the best merchants in the game for your settlement came from one time random events and were non-essential so it was entirely possible for them to show up in a spot you just barely managed to get close enough to trigger, right next to a raider camp and get murdered.

Yeah. That sucks pretty hard. I'm actually kind of worried that the dog selling guy is dead and I can't buy dogs for settlements.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

You know, it's a complaint for an entirely different topic but it really gets on my nerves when someone leaps right into the hardest difficulty then gets mad at a game for being too hard. One of my friends did that with Nier, a game with okay but repetitive gameplay at best. After I told him how cool the story was he got it, went straight to hard and then spent an hour bitching about how it was a lovely game because everything had too much health and killed him in one hit.

I remember the boar and a giant shade you could encounter on the way to the seafront could kill you in one or two hits when you first meet them. I lost count on how many times I've died to that pig but being able to drift around on him makes it totally worth it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I played Yoshi's Wooly World, which is pretty much the love child of Kirby's epic yarn and Yoshi's Island. Poochy is absolutely adorable.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Played Pokemon Moon again and did the elite four, thing played out the same except this time I was challenged by Hau. Apparently there's several trainers that can challenge you for your title.
Feels like I'm an actual champion for once. Also some of the battles you can get into after the game are pretty tough.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I played the Resident Evil 7 demo, there was a upturned bicycle in a bathtub full of blood and it made me giggle.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Inzombiac posted:

I don't get it.

The demo has a really good atmosphere and it actually did get me to jump near the end but there's just something about a bike in a bathtub filled with blood that seems too silly to be scary.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Today I learned that you can hatch eggs over night in Pokemon Sun/Moon by leaving them at the hotspring island. Also you can check pokemon's IV's from the PC instead of having to withdraw and show it to some guy.

I got World of Final Fantasy for Christmas, it's like pokemon and final fantasy had a baby, you can change the battle theme to a remix of an old ff battle theme if you unlock the champion from that game. More jrpgs need to have more than one battle theme.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In World of Final Fantasy, you visit a beach and one of the characters decides to bust out Tidus' laugh from X. It was so goofy and unexpected I couldn't help but smile. Its also a pretty spot on impression too.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

Loosely related; Do mods count?

This is beautiful. If they ever make a FFX remake like they're doing with 7, they should add an option to switch the soundtrack to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
My favorite little thing about the Nier demo is that the battle theme for the first Saw Blade Boss sounds a lot like "Song of the Ancients" without the vocals. I can't confirm if it actually is but there's a few mixes on youtube that add the audio to the song and it sounds almost identical.