Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sardonik posted:

I blew through all 5 Blackwell games this weekend. There were many little moments I appreciated considerably. Something I thought was really funny was that the final part of the second to last game is basically peak Reddit: A creep in a fedora stuck in a platonic relationship drops negs on the woman to get her to break up with her new boyfriend and save the day. :allears:

Non Spoiler: The art quality increases exponentially over the course of the games, until the point in the final game where I genuinely am curious how they pulled it off. The screens in a particular shop in Epiphany are particularly impressively animated. Not bad for a game that runs on a tiny, tiny resolution.

Dave Gilbert himself actually showed up in the thread of an ongoing screenshot LP of the Blackwell games (you'll need to go back a page to see him popping in to say hi), and apparently as cmndstab goes through Epiphany there's going to be some commentary from him about it.

quote:

Also, for those of you who have already played Epiphany (and I strongly recommend it, it's brilliant), there will be an extra reason for you to check out the LP when it arrives. In an extremely cool act, creator Dave Gilbert made himself available to answer a whole bunch of my spergy little questions about some of the more ambiguous parts of the series, such as individual character motivations, his thoughts on how the Blackwell universe operates and so forth. I will be including a little tidbit after each update, with roughly half of them discussing events from Epiphany while the other half discuss events from the previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In either Vice City or San Andreas there is a little blurb in the manual about how a new law banning children and dogs had just taken effect, so don't expect to see either in the city. That always cracked me up.

Liberty City Stories also has a few mentions of an upcoming ban on Motorcycles, along with the shutdown of the ferry.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tony Bologna posted:

With how rough console ports could be, I was pretty impressed when playing Sleeping Dogs, it still gives you xbox button prompts no matter the controller, but the prompts translate immediately to keyboard and mouse when you disconnect your controller. Mirror's Edge is the only other game I've seen to do this.

The Telltale games do this as well. They'll instantaneously switch to keyboard prompts if you nudge the mouse or tap on the keyboard while playing with a controller (and, obviously, back again when you tap something on the controller).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Speaking of this, does anyone know if the GOG release of Omikron actually works on modern systems? Because I have the old disc-based version and it is a nightmare to try to start the program, let alone actually play it.

Plays just fine on my Windows 7 x64 setup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

melon cat posted:

Destructible environments *really* need to make a comeback in current-gen games. Today's consoles/PCs sure as hell can handle it.

I'd be happy if the next Saint's Row just kept the current graphics engine and used the PS4/XBOne's extra processing power for the Guerilla destruction physics. LEVEL THE WHOLE GODDAMN CITY! :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

poptart_fairy posted:

Press X to use Hidden Gun.

:unsmith:

I liked that Altair turns up fully ready to throw down with the entire brotherhood, and almost all of them are just all too happy to welcome him home :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PunkBoy posted:

On that note, X-Wing: Alliance continued the tradition of getting medals and badges for official Alliance missions, but for missions you run for your family, you got a neat souvenir. These range from a piece of a TIE Fighter, to a bottle of booze, to a music box probe droid, to much more. The e-mail system was also really cool in which you got messages from friends, general news alerts, and even spam. My personal favorite was an advertisement from a prosthetic hand company with the slogan "If it's good enough for Luke Skywalker, it's good enough for you!"

Ace never did get that date with Lady Blue though :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Generic American posted:

Metal Gear is my favorite little thing in games. :swoon:

Box isn't orange, 4/10 :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

Couldn't you just run it on DOSBox?

This still counts if you're referring to the Windows 95 version, incidentally. It's entirely possible to install a copy of it inside DOSBox. Windows 98 works too, but it's not fully supported for it like 95 is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

It's not the building manager's PC. It's the one at the warehouse that's literally around the block from Jensen's apartment.

EDIT: Or it's mentioned on both. Still, that adds yet another level to the whole thing.

Wait, you can actually break into the warehouse? I just thought it was a place mentioned in the e-mail.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alhazred posted:

Oh my god! Ellie just learned how to whistle:3:

One of my favourite accidental moments was when a guy managed to get behind my cover and was just about to shoot me in the face while I was mid-reload... Only for Ellie to save my rear end at the very last second by hucking a brick at his head to distract him for the brief moment I needed to finish reloading.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this? posted:

Dead Space 3 had the co-op character always around, just that if you weren't playing co-op he was off with other people.

Yeah, it was pretty well done. If you were playing on your own, Carver will make some mention of having his own job to do at the end of a cutscene and go off until the next one (often by walking past you and just vanishing once off-screen). During all the various interstitial conversations during gameplay he'll just chime in over the radio from wherever he is rather than from right beside Isaac and some of his dialog changes to reflect this a little too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjahedgehog posted:

in Halo 3, if you played two-player the story altered slightly so that the Arbiter was always hanging out with the Chief, and I think they even changed some dialogue and cutscenes to reflect that.

If you added players 3 and 4, they were a pair of Elites with their own unique models, but I never played that so I don't know how much else was changed.

Halo Reach just added three more Spartans as well. I always just took them as Nobles 7-9 :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PJOmega posted:

Which Infinite Space is this? The early access one on steam?

It's a JRPG on the Nintendo DS built around starship combat. It's surprisingly decent for how basic the gameplay is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RagnarokAngel posted:

I always loved how the HUD is handled. The entire HUD appears as a hologram on the character's suit. It requires a bit of suspension of disbelief to work with that spine life bar but its just a neat little thing.

The spinal-mounted life bar's not for the wearer, it's for the rest of the guys working nearby :eng101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sobatchja Morda posted:

That just reminds me of the medical wonder that is Gordon Freeman's HEV-suit. It's able to monitor your health, work it out into a percentage, protect you from radiation, provide anti-toxins when you've been poisoned, heal you, and administer morphine. Although that last part does make me suspect that Gordon's in a Crysis 2-type of situation, where he's just a mess of broken bones held upright by a mechanical harness.

It's probably just hooked up to the wearer/Isaac's pain receptors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

scarycave posted:

Playing my first Pikmin game (3) and there is something really satisfying about having these little guys carrying a big rear end boss monster we just killed back to base.

I will never get tired of their cheerful little "hup-to, hup-to, hup-to" marching chant as they lug their victims food back to base :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Grunty Secret posted:

There are a few points in MGS3 where the guards are stationed near food and ammo depots. You can sabotage the supply by setting off some TNT inside.

If you blow up the food stores, all guards will walk slower and loudly complain of hunger. They'll also be weaker, being knocked out in one punch.

They'll also eat rotten food if you leave it out on their patrol routes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

In MGS4 you can pat down people you hold up, ending in snake crushing their balls with his hands and knocking them out. There are some enemies though that are female and needless to say, trying to nut crush them doesn't work. It ends with them calling snake a pervert and kicking him.

God Hand has a Roulette Move (Special Moves) called the Ball Buster. It does not disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiX1Fler90

Trying it on a female enemy, however, just results in nothing happening when it connects.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

I'm not sure about 3, but at least in the first two this actually helps if they're drowning; non-blue Pikmin struggle in your direction if you whistle at them, which can get them to safety. Your encouragement saved them! :3:

If you have blue pikmin on-hand, dismissing them from your group will cause them to go save their buddies from drowning :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

scarycave posted:

You start fighting Crazy and Master Hand, for some reason, Master Hand died after four-five hits then crazy hand went Zalgo.

It's a neat surprise, but the Sword Form can go gently caress itself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Lavender posted:

I don't really know how "engines" work necessarily; but I've notice that I love almost every game I play with the Havok engine.

Dark Souls, the Arkham games, Kingdoms of Amalur, Shadow of Mordor. They're all just so fun to play.

I remember a time where the "Unreal" engine was a big selling point, but I was never really impressed with that.

Just for a quick little lesson :eng101:; Engines are basically bundles of pre-defined code actions to save time when making games. Rather than having to program in complex things like gravity or lighting, that's already done in a pre-built engine like Havok. All the programmers then need to do is define their created object's values within that. For a rough example with made-up pseudocode; Light.Ceiling01.LightGenerated() = 50. The game engine will know what this means and the ceiling light will generate 50 units of light.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you've played Smash Bros. at all and Kirby's taunt isn't seared into your memory from constant use, you and your buddies haven't been doing it right, sorry.

Sadly Kirby's tone as he says "HIIIIII" is nowhere near as infuriatingly insulting in the new 3DS game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PJOmega posted:

I changed a less-than-tech-savvy friend's text message tone to Kirby's "HIIIIII." He ended up taking it into the store to get it fixed.

Which then got him Jigglypuff's singing.

I have no regrets.

What's really disappointing is that Kirby now always faces the screen to do it. He used to face back or forward depending on if he was facing left or right. Nothing better than waving as they fade off into the distance :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Tesla posted:

I'd say it's probably down to the massive gap between Starfox 64 and the 3DS/SSB4 versions so his voice had probably changed a lot since then.

Not to mention that the original recording equipment was probably crap and distorted his voice a bit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

graybook posted:

Darunia's victory dance is the greatest animation in the entire game and I will literally fight anyone who says otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwZFMvyhOpM

Apparently it's a) based off of his dance from OoT and b) longer than anyone else's victory animation by a delightfully awkward amount.

Yup, that's the dance he does when you play Saria's Song to snap him out of his funk in Ocarina of Time (a remix of which is the song playing in the background).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chinaman7000 posted:

Goddamnit Wei I told you to try the move on my students, not snap their loving legs the wrong way!

What? He told me to practice that arm-snapping move with his students, so I'm going to practice it on all his students! Twice! :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tracula posted:

Do you guys actually call hands meathunks?

Nah mate, we call'em fukkin fing-woggles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space 2 and 3 changed this by making Isaac's aiming be a faked animation and having the "real" target always be directly at the middle of the screen like any other shooter instead of making the shots come from him.

You can change it back in the settings, thank god. And you should, as the beam trails from the barrel make it much easier to plan your shots for things like the Line Gun and even the Plasma Cutter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

QuietLion posted:

I finished Portal 2's co-op mode a little while ago, and it was excellent. The puzzles alone made it worthwhile, but it was almost as much fun killing or messing up my partner for the one-liners GlaDos would respond with.

The control scheme was also great, particularly because you had 3 simple commands outside of emoting: stand there, look there, timer starting from 3. While it's easier with voice communication, between those three commands and being able to see your partner's screen, it seems perfectly possible to solve puzzles silently.

The best little thing for me though was how Atlas and Peabody are just so expressive. They only have a single eye, but it's very easy to pick up on their facial expressions and body language.

You forgot the best part; there's an emote to request, and give, a hug to your co-op buddy :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leper Residue posted:

"Mandible on or Mandible off?"

"Too bad."

Beholt, Herr Raiden, your new body; zee Adrian Barbeau-Bot!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Bishop posted:

So the Gravemind looks like a talking penis with a horrible necrotic infection now. Ya, I'd rather take the old talking-head-of-cabbage version over that any day because holy crap, that art direction is just so amazingly lovely. Same goes for the rest of what I've seen of Halo 2 Anniversary's cutscenes, really.

Yeah, just having it as a giant talking mushroom made it much more nebulous and legion. Penis-with-teeth is just weak art design and implies it's a single entity instead of all flood.

haveblue posted:

It actually looks closer to the original concept art than the talking cabbage:

The talking cabbage was a result of trying to pull that off on the original Xbox hardware, and under a high-pressure dev schedule.

Concept art almost always changes during development, and limited hardware sometimes forces devs to actually produce something better due to having to work with constraints. Having something stare at you and speak is fa less terrifying than an all-pervading nebulous voice surrounding you, because it makes you realize that the entire fleshy cavern is doing the talking....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Lavender posted:

I don't really get that distinction between them. The old one was an eyeless head on a tentacle just like this new one. The only thing new is the teeth; how does that imply that it's fundamentally different from the old one? It's not like the old one talked to them telepathically or anything either - he used his mouth the same way.

Because teeth are something recognizable in a very conventional sense and draw your attention away from the Overmind as a whole to TEETH. The tentacle on it's own is much better because it has no recognizable cues like eyes or a mouth and is merely one of many surrounding a larger mass.

edit: Just to be more on-topic, something I love in the new WoW expansion Warlords of Draenor is that if you have a Follower Bodyguard with you they will shadowmeld/stealth alongside you regardless of their class and race.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Nov 21, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As someone who hasn't played a Halo since 3 I like 343 Studios because watching them torpedo the Halo franchise with a single game, to the point where releasing a collection of other people's work with their name slapped on it and a $60 price tag is the highlight of both their and the Xbone's year, has brought me more entertainment than any of the actual Halo games that have come out since.

Give Reach a look if you haven't, it's actually well worth playing. I'm generally not a fan of prequels, but it manages to be the rare exception that is its own big stand-alone thing without infringing on the main series with endless "wink-wink, we're setting up THIS". It even works in setting up the first game at the end by turning it into a very meta-knowledge moment of "Oh. I'm definitely not surviving this :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The mg42 is actually the Smart Link Gun from Aliens

To be fair, there's a couple of Stormtroopers toting them about as well in the Tatooine scenes of New Hope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I thought that, in an age of endless sequels and spinoffs, destroying the mass effect relays once and for all at the end was a refreshingly brave and bold choice rather than leaving the door open for more sequels.

So of course everybody complained about it and then they retconned it.

It was stupid any way you sliced it. You've pretty much doomed a bunch of tiny colonies to a slow death, stranded who-knows-how-many ships, and probably plunged a planet or two (along with a couple million space stations) into civil war/general chaos because they rely on off-world commerce.

RentACop posted:

The revamped endings added more stuff to show the aftermath of your choices, the ending options remain the same

The revamped endings were actually a pretty great effort when you consider they were probably put together on a shoestring budget and limited time. And as for something good with ME3, the apartment party. I loved that there were a massive number of different ways it could go depending on what you set the music to and when.

"Shepard." "Wrex." "Grunt." "Shepaaaaaaaard." :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This game is just full of little things. I love the battle chatter over the radio, the comments your units make when traits kick in or when they do something ("Hi, I'm Ted!" *blam blam blam*), and that each and every one of your units has his or her own personality.

The separate weapon upgrade trees are cool, too. :dance:

True, but you've got no real reason not to take the damage upgrade tree though. I did love that a lot of their traits are actually based on the character profiles though. One of the older soldiers has a small mention in his profile that he hates being around Alicia because she reminds him of his daughter, who died. He has a debuff that drops his accuracy if he's anywhere near her on the battlefield.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gamma Nerd posted:

The random battle theme from Nocturne also plays during the fight, to show that to his eyes, you're just a random encounter. He accordingly holds back, not blowing his resources, and will only use mid-power skills on your party (those still hurt a fuckton). If you do anything to aggravate him, like nulling an element, he'll do what a Nocturne player would do, and whip out a panic button skill that annihilates you.

Just to further how much of a gently caress-you this is; going in with anything that nullifies an element, even passively, will prompt the Demifiend to pop Gaia Rage, which does 9999 straight damage. Your max HP tops out at 999.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

If this SMT guy is scripted to one-shot you as a panic attack, what's stopping him from using it when he gets low on health?

Nothing. The entire fight is a deliberate gently caress-you for even having the gall to attempt it. To even have a shot at beating him, you need your entire party at level 100. And even then you're gonna get your poo poo kicked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know if it works in the newer Animal Crossings (I learned this in the DS version), but try holding the fishing rod (or any tool really) and using the Clap emote. Your Villager will look like he's furiously wanking due to only his empty hand actually clapping (while smiling gleefully as he does so), and you still get the full clapping sound effect to make it perfect :allears:.

It's me, I'm the childish one.