Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Which is awesome if you consider if it were a lesser game by a less ingenious team they would've never hanged a lampshade on the issue outside of serious conversations between the boring femme fatale and more boring protag; and then revealed that he was a CIA agent in the third act during a super serious scene where a sober Heck backstabs you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

It really is just a "my immersion" thing. I'm not going to knock that, we all have our little preferences to fiction when it comes to what immerses us and what jerks us out of it, but it never mattered to me personally.

It's a sign of attention to detail; if a developer has the ability to make sure that small details like feet are visible then it shows how much care and effort they put into the game.

Though it's not always a sign of general quality, but it makes the consumer feel better about what they're playing; like a chocolate on the pillow of a hotel room, it doesn't change the quality of the visit but it does create the image that the hotel puts effort into the details.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Ya might not wanna hotlink those images...

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Which makes it so bizarre that their big claim to fame now is Dark Souls.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Nohman posted:

Make it a reboot that is actually a stealth sequel. I mean the Saints have a time machine to gently caress up history with. Just make it seemingly a reboot of the series with the Saints first starting out and Ultor being the big bads but with a few things off due to time fuckery and then have it go weird places using the new Time Lord old crew. It could work.

This could actually work, if you place a post-SR4 Boss into a (much more polished) SR1 you could have a real interesting premise there. Plus if you had an actually talented writer (as impossible as that may be) it could provide some good commentary on how franchises tend to exaggerate their characteristics as they go along.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I love how in Dark Souls 1, when you beat Oreos and Smores the rest of the game feels kinda easy in comparison. It really makes you feel like you've come a long way when you realize that the areas would've taken you at least three times as long if you went straight for them at the start of the game.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Maddox was my first thing I read in "blog" format besides maybe Acts of Gord. I'll always have fond memories Maddox...

Oh man, Gord was great. What's that guy doing these days?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I believe they mean instead of meaning "respond non-violently to your oppressor", I think they mean more in the "taking your ball and going home" in response to seeing your enemies.

Either that or it means 'enemies' in an ironic sense, that the character will act contrarily to whomever the perceive as an enemy.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Red Bones posted:

With all the characters in Kingdom Hearts being various degrees of magical soul clones of each other, the stuff Shimamura does with mixing character themes without them sounding really jumbled is really impressive.

I love the way the skill system works in Kingdom Hearts, it's a really fun way to do RPG character progression in an action game. You do get numbered stats that go up with your levels, but a big chunk of the character progression was getting more slots to put skills into, and the skills that come included with equipment. Putting all the skills, attack ones like longer combos and special attacks, utility ones like dodge rolling and just seeing the enemy health bar, into the same pool and then deciding which ones you wanted to take in your limited number of skill slots was probably my favourite mechanic in those games.

The entire tone of the first Kingdom Hearts game is another thing I love. The ones after 1 are really anime-y, but the first one is very fairytale in style. There's a child hero, a magic sword, you have to save a princess. All the locations in that game that aren't Disney draw from the looks of background art in Disney films - lots of pastel colours or warm shades, all the architecture is a little bit fat and cartoony. Even the End of the World is a broken pastel landscape by the sea. The final boss is fought in a pitch black void. The series as a whole has some really nice design going on, but after the first one it went away from trying to really mesh with the disney stuff and decided to do its own thing, and I think it got a lot worse as a result of that. None of the first game's visuals would look that out of place in oldschool disney films:

Man, I always have a good amount of fondness for the first one; it was fun and it's whole tone was about recreating that kind of magic you feel at Disneyland as a kid without making teenage me feel like I was playing a kid's game. I never could get into the second one though, due to it's overwhelming amounts of "here's this thing we introduced in the GBA spin-off that you never played" and dumb lore.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh poo poo! Everybody get into your cellars, hide under your doorframes, and get into your cars; we've got ourselves a punctuation storm!!!!

Also, in MGS5, the game celebrated my Boss' birthday. It was really sweet. :3:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I cracked open my copy of the Witcher 3 yesterday, and the first thing that you see when opening the game is a thank you note from CD Projekt Red saying thank you for buying the game; that also outlines their philosophy in regards to DLC and patches (I.e. it should be free to all players).

It's nice to see developers being earnest and appreciative of their customers. It almost makes me want to go out and buy more of their games just because of it. :3:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Uh... a man chooses, a slave obeys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Guy Mann posted:

Shadow Complex Remastered is in this week's Humble Bundle and it's kind of amazing that despite being almost a decade old and arguably kicking off the indie metroidvania resurgence that's still going on to this day so much of it still feels fresh and unique. The flashlight that highlights destructible objects alone is something almost every metroidvania could use, and maybe it's just fatigue from a zillion faux-retro pixel indie knockoffs but having an actual fully-3d environment and the way it let's them mess around with camera angles and the foreground feels way more interesting and memorable even if the actual setting is a generic sci-fi military base.

Also once you get the jetpack upgrade your dude uses it to instantly zip up ladders when you climb them.

They should, considering that the best one introduced it as a feature. :colbert:

Super Metroid