Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

This is a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

One of the best things in Game Dev Tycoon is that the game saves all of the niggling details about designing games for you, which you can choose to use or not in new games. Genre compatibility, system performance, which traits are good for which games, the whole shebang. Most games like this rely on you looking up some chart or guide (or make one yourself) when you start playing again; GDT acknowledges that the player figured out that Zombie Action games are good on the PC at some point, and will remind you of that when you replay the game in six months.

Don't forget their Anti-pirating trick where they made it impossible to sell your game because everyone pirates it. The best payoff was seeing people post on the forums: I can't make any money because people pirate my game?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Wait, those are actually in the game stock? :stonk:

I played a lot back in 2012 but never saw them.

Yeah it's for every time you race in a certain event. It was one of my favorite parts of the game. You would be playing this realistic car game and than bam a video out of the blue, and then back to car game lol.

HMS Boromir posted the police event, this is for the rivals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vkB85cWobs

Nude has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Feb 8, 2016

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

John C. Lilly was a prominent researcher in dolphin communication who, among other things, tried to unlock inter-species telepathy by giving dolphins LSD, trying to teach dolphins a computer language, and did an experiment where a human woman and a male dolphin lived together in a partially-submerged lab for ten weeks. He was also fond of experimenting on his own psyche, having invented the sensory-deprivation tank and spent countless hours using one while tripping balls on LSD and/or Ketamine.

Unsurprisingly, he wound up being unhinged and swore that aliens were communicating with him and guiding him to be humanity's savior. The alien entity he claimed to communicate with was called the Earth Coincidence Control Office. Or, for short, E.C.C.O.

When I first heard that story (The Dollop) I immediately thought of that game. In case someone hasn't played the game it doesn't stop there: the dolphins communicate telepathically in game, and the main plot of the game has to do with aliens.

I never found evidence that the game was somehow related to John C. Lilly, but what a coincidence if it wasn't.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

Maybe not a little thing but I'm playing this indie adventure game called Knee Deep and the game's aesthetic is loving killer. The gimmick is that it's presented as a stage play so buildings will literally lose their fourth wall, the "actors" walk from set to set with everything raising or lowering around them, text messages are displayed on an overhead projector, spotlights follow people, and when it needs to change backdrop the character will actually step outside of the stage while the entire thing rotates behind them like the Carousel of Progress from Disneyworld. It's really effective, especially considering it's obviously a small team working with a low budget.

Going to assume the story is good too? Either way going buy it just because of the creativity behind it.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

You posted:

That FAROOQs favourite thing in UC4 is them supporting rape culture and transphobia.

Gonna be honest here, and I hate putting down others, but no one's favorite thing should be that.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

A few pages back but--

No one plays the PS Vita, so this is the biggest hurdle to enjoying it, but Killzone: Mercenary was an incredibly enjoyable FPS and it had a Perfect Dark/Goldeneye-esque mission system. Each campaign mission had four different routes for accomplishing it: there was the standard "Primary" route which basically just involved achieving your primary objectives, leaving you to beat the mission with whatever gadget or weapon load-out you wanted; the "Precision" routes, where you aim to beat missions with the highest efficiency, sticking to highly accurate weapons, tasked with head-shotting key targets, eliminating armour in the quickest way possible, minimizing civilian casualties, all while completing your objectives within a certain time limit; the "Covert" routes, where you rely on stealth, tranquilizers, flashbangs, and other silenced weapons in order to stealth large segments of levels; and the "Demolition" route where the game says, gently caress it, take all the big expensive ordnance into a level and blow up loving everything.

It's incredibly satisfying to clear out an entire area using one of those.

Killzone for the vita is also a really fun multiplayer. One of the few games where I spent a lot of time multiplayer forgetting there was also a campaign attached to it. I really like that they use the missile drop (if you hack it you get a power up) to lure people out from hiding.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is kind of broad, but I love all of the arcadey sound effects in the Metal Gear Solid series. They're really unique and instantly recognizable. The ! sound effect, the Item and Weapon menu sound effects in MGS1 and 2, the sound effects when you headshot someone with a tranq gun or an empty magazine in MGSV, the Codec sound effects...I could go on, but I think they add a lot to the series and I'm bummed we won't be getting any new ones :(

Just to add to the list, I always appreciated that the tranq would fall off the victim sometimes, and the various different foot noises. In 2 when you shot magazines and the papers flew everywhere... It was somehow really satisfying to shot those to bits, and the bottles too. The tanker level is one of my favorite levels ever, where you can even start sneezing if you stay out in the rain for too long. And hearing/seeing the rain inside the boat when near a window was a nice touch. I could go on all day. I have faith that Kojima will carry over that level of detail to Death Stranding though.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

2house2fly posted:

I went into Metal Gear Solid 5 already knowing the big twist at the end, so it was really cool to catch a few Bowie references early on and then realise the opening song was a COVER VERSION of a Bowie song

I'm really kind of sad that I'm just finding out about Metal Gear now. In the beginning of three there is person you report to, and of course his codename? Major Tom. Was grinning ear to ear. And when I saw 5's trailer with Diamond Dogs I was like this motherfucker.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

frodnonnag posted:

Dwarf fortress
Space Station 13.

Whenever I see dwarf fortress I like to think of this image.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Digirat posted:

Call of duty 4 had very simple messages: "You killed ____" and "Killed by ___"

I met a Yourself.

Always had a good chuckle when A Tiny Red Ant logged on, it was for the Medal of Honor psp game which had surprising good multiplayer.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I remember playing American Wasteland when it first came out as a kid. I stayed up all night to beat the campaign even though it was a school night and I was in 5th grade. It's probably still my favorite Tony Hawk game just for the nostalgia and that it introduced lovely PS2 Wallruns which blew my 11 year old mind and hearing people call it a bad game makes me kind of sad.

I was first introduced to Tony Hawk Underground 2 around the same age, and it's still one of my favorite games that everyone else seems to hate. My little punk self thought it was so cool that you could graffiti any wall. I also really enjoyed the goofy tricks/arcade style jumps, and just skating around the city.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Ya you guys pretty much convinced me that Monster Ranch is an awesome collect-a-thon. I assume starting with 1 would be better than jumping into 2?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Just wanted to thank you guys for convincing me to play Tales of the Borderlands. One of my favorite parts of that game was the awesome little intros they would do for each chapter. The songs often fit the mood really well.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Euphoriaphone posted:

At this point they aren't really a threat, but if you decided to murder your enemies in this game, you're probably gonna want to go all the way to make them suffer for inconveniencing you. Walking up to a downed soldier, readying your rifle, and pointing it at their head before pulling the trigger is probably the most violent thing I've experienced in a game. I've always appreciated how deliberate the character animations are in MGS. Snake always moves with such military precision, walking up and executing a harmless enemy on the ground is easily the most morally repugnant feeling you'll experience in a game.

I always liked this in general about Metal Gear Solid games. Maybe it's because you know you could clear the level without murder, but in all the games killing has an impact on me that I don't get in other games. I actually feel bad for doing it.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Zinkraptor posted:

Weirdly enough, I think part of the reason is that not much changes if you kill people. There are a few things - sometimes a character will have a unique codec conversation after the first time they kill someone, like in MGS2, or like how Snake will freak out for a bit and throw up if you kill too many people in a short period in MGS4 - but for the most part the game just lets you get away with it. Meanwhile, most other games with a non-lethal option will bring it up all the time and the story will change a bit if you kill people, which makes it feel less like a real moral decision and more just a way to change the way the story is going. In a way, those systems encourage killing everything on at least one playthrough, since you get unique events and outcomes if you do.

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense.

Yeah I think I see what you're getting at, there is no in game reward for killing someone. Games like Undertale you get branching paths so in a weird way it feels like your forced to if you want to see everything, so it feels less genuine. And to deviate a little other games killing is just taken for granted as it's the only way to progress in a game.

I just remembered I was showing my friend MGS2 and he decided to shoot everyone cause he was getting tired of stealth. There was a pile of guys on top of each other, and one guy was struggling to get up and my friend shot him in the face. He turned his head to me and said holy poo poo that was brutal, and went out of his way to do stealth for the rest of the game. And that's when I realized there was only 5 dead guys, and in most games that's a drop in the bucket, but because of the way MGS is made it feels way more violent.

Nude has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Jul 13, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, at least in Undertale specifically, the whole point of the branching paths is that the game can legit call out the player for making awful decisions because they 'want to see everything'. Unlike something like Spec Ops, which tries to go 'oh well if you want to be a good person you could just not play the game', Undertale offers a significantly more satisfying experience, bonus boss aside, if you show some restraint. I still think some people going OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE I AM LITERALLY HITLER is an overreaction, but I also think giving the player the option to not be a jerk is important if you're going to criticize them for being one.

Fair I realized I worded that wrong. I don't want to put down Undertale, and you're right Undertale is well aware of your choices and makes sure there is consequences for your actions. You bet I felt bad when I realized one of the guards I killed was gone for good, was definitely a "oh poo poo the game cares" moment. I love the combat system and how you can talk to the enemies during a fight, which actually changes the fight.

The feeling of killing someone MGS series is different than any game I've played, and I think it's the way death is presented. In MGS2 you have this time to reflect on what you've done. It's very eerie. And I think what makes it so eerie is the restraint MGS2 has to not make death a "bonus" in anyway. Death does not give you more health, attack, ammo, or anything that benefits the player directly. I also feel like I don't miss out on any part of the game if I do non-lethal only. I'm going to stop myself here as I can go on a long rant about MGS2 and the series in general.

ps. This enemy restraint is also why I think Silent Hill is so scary. Silent Hill doesn't give you any reason to kill the monsters (they do not drop items, or improve your character in any way). If you leveled up after ever monster kill, or they dropped potions or something I'm pretty sure I would be more willing to kill and as a result it would feel less scary because of that mindset.

Nude has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Jul 13, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Started replaying Toy Story 3 on the XBox 360. Starting with the story mode to get it out of the way, but the levels are fairly fun - more so than I remembered. So far the highlight has been the Buzz Lightyear videogame level, which has a really interesting aesthetic as the planet you are on gets hit by an enormous meteor, leaving little floating chunks of the earths crust with massive craters below. As you land on some platforms they crack under your weight allowing you to reach new areas, with a cleverly hidden collectible where you need to blow up a nearby platform to make two parts of it quickly sail off to form a temporary path, that you need to hop along to get the card, then hop straight onto the one ahead to reach the next area. Luckily if you grab something it stays grabbed so if you miss your chance and get stranded you can just jump off and respawn. It's overall been fairly interesting level design, then you get to play with Toybox mode after beating the first level which is sidestories set in the wild-west. In that mode you can dress the citizens and aliens in outfits that you unlock that is a really cute thing, and you also unlock decorations for any buildings that you can customise.

Ya it was pretty cool in toy box you could make enemies/objects (including your horse/car) bigger and smaller too. It was just fun to climb around and punt guys across the map. And there was this really cool haunted house level that played a song when you entered, where you got a weapon that could turn anything into a ghost. The game was a lot more fun than expected.

Was playing Ratchet and Clank (ps4) recently and my favorite little thing is when you unlock the Ryno, a song plays when you attack. I laughed out loud the first time. And the groovitron is just a fantastic weapon that can be used on bosses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFc-LdeCyLE&t=325s

Nude has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Jul 17, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Yakuza 0

Yeah I don't know anything about the series beyond this but uh, Majima's a goddamn freak.

http://i.imgur.com/IyDizNT.mp4

The dance at the end :discourse:.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I would like to bring Tumble's account to the stand. In a thread titled PYF little things in games: my decapitated ex-wife fell into my second wedding page 463, Tumble gives high praise to a serial killer simulator for how well it emulates real life murder. Tumble proceeds to go into detail about how blowing someone's head off and watching it slowly slide down a wall was done in a level of detail that most games would overlook. If that doesn't make Tumble look guilty I don't know what will.
Just messing around :v:

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

The PS2 had analog buttons - harder presses registered differently to softer presses, either accelerating quicker by holding X harder in driving games or the infamous dungeon in Star Ocean 3 where you needed to play four tunes with the circle button on a flute - either Hard Tap, Soft Tap, Hard Hold and Soft Hold. It was super finicky although some games used it well, but not many games told you about it.

Wow I just thought it was psychological when I was playing racing games. But I can believe that because it definitely felt like pressing down did something.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

All this poo talk reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdd4rBlsj2o
I have know idea how I stumbled upon it or how it got released for the n64 but it speaks to me me me meee.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Leal posted:

I like the concept of the item world in the Disgaea games. Hitting a roadblock, need to grind? To the item world, not only is there a bunch of mobs that are actually pretty easy to kill (I've had a level 8 character one shot a level 60 mob) and after everything is said and done the item you used also gets stronger. Level up a character then give them the powered up weapon/armor, two birds with one stone.

It's funny because I really got into Disgaea 2 for that reason. After the main campaign if you want to explore the rest the item world becomes the most tedious thing ever imaginable (at least for me). The end game is truly design for people who love to grind/maximize their grind efficiency. Sadly I am not one of those people and now have picked up spidey senses for other games and can detect when it's just gonna be a grind. The weird flip side is Disgaea has a bunch of cool ideas in all their games, and you don't really have to grind/go into the item world for the main campaign.

One interesting design decision is it's one of the few rpg games that does not have enemy drops. Instead you get your loot from either stealing from enemies, or clearing the zone. Another thing is all items have buffs you can transfer to other items. And lastly the dark world is really cool, like I wish the developers didn't make it so hidden as there is a lot of creative puzzles and levels are to be found there. For those who haven't played the game, the dark world is basically an alternative version of the level with some kind of twist. Like one twist could be everyone on the map has a chance of changing into a dragon. Another, healing is damage and damage is healing, etc.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

flatluigi posted:

At this point I'm fairly confident the nier fishing thing is nobody's favorite little thing so can we please move on

I love easter eggs in games, and there's a fairly well known one in GTA Vice City that's an actual easter egg:

The really cute thing, though, is there's a lesser known PSP/PS2 game in the series called Vice City Stories, which is set before the main game. If you go to the same location in that game, you find that the easter egg is still under construction.

I played a lot of Vice City Stories in the old days if only for just driving around and exploring the city. I love how many weird vehicles there were on the psp. And there was like 3 different airplanes! And 3 bicycles too. And an indestructible bus. Fun stuff. Oh and it was one of the few psp games that had a mod community which just made the game 10 times better (driving on walls, no clipping, playing on other people's obstacle courses).

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

RagnarokAngel posted:

I always enjoyed how Liberty City Stories has motorcycles despite taking place 3 years before GTA3 (which didnt yet have them) so the manual had a newspaper article talking about an impending motorcycle ban in the city expected to pass.

I always dig little references. Like how Lazlow (one of the radio guys) gets his start on the Vrock Vice City station (which is 80's) and then eventually moves to Liberty City (90's) and has his own channel. Another little thing is Vcs has some of the best radio stations and they are all references to the ps2 stations.

One little thing that I miss is old games used to put a lot of effort into their manuals and a lot of the times the manual was enjoyable to read.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Who What Now posted:

I've been replaying Max Payne 3 and man I love that you keep your pistols in cutscenes. It's a minor thing but I always hate when I have this rad .45 and a cutscene loads and the character magics up some piece of poo poo 9mm.

I noticed in most Rockstar games they seem to like doing that, so stuff like clothing, cars, and guns as you mention all stay consistent with the cutscene. It's cool to see.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Hirsute posted:

I'm playing through the Metal Gear series for the first time (!), and it is goddamn hilarious when you save in the Tanker chapter in MGS2 and Otacon gives you a pithy quote like Mei Ling did in MGS1, but hasn't actually thought about why he's using the quote and totally fucks up his advice. Snake's reactions to it are great.

I cannot wait for your play by play reaction of MGS2. The Tanker is one of my favorite video game levels of all time.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

The Silent Hill games also did that rather well. Another thing is in Silent Hill 2, they made a linear game feel open world. I have to replay that game sometime because often times I would be playing, stop, and go how the hell did I get here? It was very dream-like quality.

Nude has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Mar 30, 2018

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

bewilderment posted:

Hirsute mentioned upthread playing through the Metal Gear games and coincidentally I'm watching all the ChipAndIronicus LPs of them in game order (1,2,3 etc) with my girlfriend.

And really the most amazing reaction so far is that we're up to 2, and we just got up to the plant chapter, and I said,

(spoilers for a 2001 video game because someone in this thread is literally playing it)

"So yeah, the twist here is that you play as Raiden for the rest of the game instead of Snake."

And her reaction was
"What the gently caress? Who cares about Raiden? Who the gently caress gives a poo poo about RAIDEN? Where's Snake?"

it's like it was 2002 all over again.

I love 2 because it just doesn't care about the player. And at certain points explicitly dislikes, you, the player.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I figured out how to stop the flickering in He Man! May go back to it with that in mind later.

Interesting topic: What's a game you thought would be terrible when you bought it, but wound up really enjoying overall? That happened with a lot of licensed games for me, like the Spiderwick Chronicles game and the first Knight Rider game

Puzzle Quest, it's a mix and match gem game with rpg elements. Don't really like bejeweled, but god drat it they did the rpg elements right. Each ability actually feels like it matters. And I like how each gem is a different class.

Embarrassingly Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 was another game I bought (for like 4 bucks at the time), on a whim. I didn't think I would be into it, but hey it's 4 bucks. It quickly became one of my favorite games, and I still play it just to relax. It's one of the few games where I just like playing it regardless if I progress or not. Combines two of my favorite genres, platforming and arcade.

Nude has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Apr 10, 2018

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The best morality system in a video game is in Valkyrie Profile: Convenant of the Plume.

The premise is that your protagonist's father was taken by a Valkyrie when he was young and he blames it for the ruination of his family. He makes a deal with Hel to survive a seemingly unsurvivable situation and in return he gets the titular Plume. He can use it to kill his allies in exchange for power. However the game is actually hard enough (especially on a first playthrough) that winning without the plume is a real challenge and the game keeps throwing subtle little things at you to encourage you to use it. (Missions that are difficult in a specific way, characters who are basically begging to be killed, etc.) The game also has three distinct stories each with their own chcaracters and you can only see the full story (and unlock the bonus dungeon) by seeing all three routes, which also involves pluming people at least once. There's even a NG+ that lets you carry over the special bonuses you get for pluming an enemy.

The three routes are basically "I refuse to kill anyone for power" "I've used the plume when I need to in order to survive" and "gently caress these guys, I want to be as strong as possible" and the story and characters reflect your choices and they're all fairly sensible choices to make for the protagonist and your choices are reflected in-game in logical ways.

The "best ending" also doesn't necessarily have the best outcomes for everyone. For example on the best route two characters who join you in other routes end up brutally murdering each other or you end up recruiting basically the world's biggest shitlord who is easily the guy you'd be must justified in pluming.

Reminds me a bit of Tactics Ogre. Which is still one of the only games where I've ever put down, and was like "did I make the right choice?" The game likes to put you in a rock and a hard place (like aligning with a enemy to defeat another enemy, or not and risk upsetting people who you rather like). And to me it's what I always wanted a role playing game to be. The best part is their "morality" system is subjective. It goes by lawful, neutral, and chaotic. But lawful doesn't mean good, it means you obey the government's orders. Chaotic doesn't mean bad it just means you have no alliance to any government. It's an rpg so it is really dense in texts (especially at the beginning unfortunately) but man I enjoyed it.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

It was the part dealing with the pickpocket when you first leave the mortuary, wasn't it?

Mind going into more detail? I'm always curious about these things.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

glad she is dead posted:

I've been playing Street Fighter III: Third Strike on and off since I first got it on DC, so about 17 years.

Picked it back up lately and I get a Time Out with both fighters at zero health and... three women walk on and judge who won the fight?!

What in the fuuuuuuck?! I have never, EVER seen this before. Cool though.

What's great about this is, it's bizarre enough to be one of those gaming myths.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Leal posted:

This is something that happens a lot in GTA, 3 in particular seems to be a big offender. Its really fun when its a cop that dives under your car :unsmigghh:

What is nice in GTA 3 is that you yourself can do the pedestrian dive when a car comes barreling down at you by pressing jump at the right moment.

In Vice City I noticed if you turn the sirens, cars will actually pull over to get out of your way. Thought that was cool.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 lets you import your saves or choose decision-packs to carry over from the first game. Normally this wouldn't be anything to get too excited about but then I noticed the final option:

Like game how could I pick anything else after that description.

That's beautiful.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Been playing Chrono Trigger (snes) and one thing I appreciate is when you talk to someone you aren't glued to the ground, instead you can actually walk around and still read through all their dialogue. It's a small feature but makes talking to everyone less painful. I'm a little sadden that this style never took off.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you move far enough away from them, their dialogue box automatically closes. It's fantastic. Chrono Trigger is so good.

I'm really enjoying it. I especially like the fact that they switch up the enemy interaction (at least early game). Like it would be the same type of enemies, a ball blob and a green goblin but sometimes the goblin is riding the blob, and other times the goblins are tossing the blob like a ball. Another thing that surprised me is when I was staying at the inn, someone came up and made my bed.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Samuringa posted:

Until Dawn: This is like one of those Telltale games, but with a much higher budget. It's a tense horror game and, like the others of its type, when poo poo goes to hell you gotta do some quick choices or do a QTE sequence. But there's a thing that's a loving genius move: a "DO NOT MOVE YOUR CONTROLLER" prompt, where you have to keep your hands as still as possible for a set amount of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuLoxOuUVUo

I hope whoever thought of this received a very large bonus

Similar idea in heavy rain where there is a tense moment and all of a sudden a big R2 button appears on the screen, if you hit it you shot and kill the person you are trying to negotiate with if you wait you both make it out alive. Thought it was a cool way to emulate impulsive behavior.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

It's funny how if this was a book I would be just like :rolleyes: ya ya of course. But since it's a game (even a interactive fiction game) I'm like no loving way is this real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

TT was a really great game, but what I remember most about it is the shamefully long time it took me to realize that paying for road repairs is something you're supposed to do in a competitor's city, not yours.

As someone who hasn't played the game what was the reason? As I would think paying for road repairs would be the only way to repair your city's roads.