Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Watch Daisy turn out to be playable in the DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd be totally down for a murderous cyberhellbunny, seriously.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Safeword posted:

Although it doesn't really come into play, I did like how the Assassins became less effective over time because global surveillance and capitalism pushed the Templars so far ahead in terms of influence. Sticking to the shadows is all well and good until your enemies make billions each day, ploughing it back into technology that makes your hiding space a very limited one.

Now picturing Hitman being a stealth sequel. Hell, the way the plot of the latest one is going...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

Also it's pretty obvious but the first aliens you encounter in Enemy Unknown are the Sectoids and the Thin Men - the grays and the reptilians :haw:

This really isn't a coincidence, many of the original's aliens are based (loosely) on real world supposed alien encounters. The original Floaters I think were inspired a bit by the Flatwoods Monster, and the Mutons by an encounter with supposedly huge green men. The Thin Men continue this, obviously, by being based on the Men In Black. (and a touch of Slenderman)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Superheroes in general often have a lot of thematic parallels to wresting as well, especially the lucha libre style. Spidey has the whole scrappy masked underdog in a colourful mask thing going.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Mega Man series gets really loving dark for awhile there, then by the ZX series everyone's just lowkey a cyborg and nobody makes a big deal out of it.

And Legends is apparently the distant future where even baseline 'humans' are basically cyborgs and don't even know it. (doesn't X5 or something have said space colony have some Mega Man Legends foreshadowing?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Strom Cuzewon posted:

More games need unnecesary emote buttons - Oddworld's farting, Transistor's humming, all the dark souls bullshit. I love all of it.

Okami's barking!

Which becomes a pee button in combat with the right upgrade.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

And when he was in Mexico he tried and failed to speak spanish to the locals.

Now I'm picturing Peggy Hill as the protagonist of a Read Dead game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SR3 did something similar with the Gat mascot costumes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Collectathon platformers have been criticised in that there's NPCs who give you quests with a reward being the macguffin that you need to save the world, when they could just give you said macguffin rather than do their pointless chores. Super Mario Sunshine is pretty bad about it apparently.

However, the Spyro games come to mind in that they actually justify almost every case of this; usually, the NPC found the macguffin while you were doing the mission, or they don't know exactly what it is and they're just giving you what they think is a shiny bauble/an egg of some kind. (Which raises its own questions, but hey, dragons like shinies and food, right?) Even oft-complained about Hunter is pretty consistent with this, when he's not actively helping Spyro in some very 90s daredevil fashion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I loved N&B, not really because I'm a B-K fan (though I am) but because I absolutely love that kinda game. Vehicle building sandbox with a rather janky physics engine is a perfect match. There was a really good Lets Play of it a while back, which included showing off a particular 'vehicle' based around completely breaking the physics engine in the most hilarious possible way.

There's also Trailmakers to a lesser extent, which focuses more on open-ended challenges.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of people hating it at the time was it put the writing on the wall for a proper Banjo & Kazooie 3; Either Nuts and Bolts sold well and you get more Nuts and Bolts because that's what the market research says people want, or it tanked and Banjo and Kazooie just get stuffed back in a box because market research shows that clearly nobody wants a new game based around them. And we got the latter.

Yeah, that was the time people got correctly cynical as gently caress about sequels like that since so many franchises got started on gimmicks and either died with them or discarded everything people liked about the franchise in favour of them. (see also Paper Mario) And everything got turned into a FPS.

Rare was kinda past their prime even before the Microsoft buyout was completed, mind.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Jul 24, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Aren't you one of the people who made insane Space Engineers poo poo or am I thinking of someone else

I wish, I mostly just built iterative designs on stuff I liked with theme names and model numbers. While my brother built a huge flying truck with a detaching escape pod motorcycle and used it for everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

I also felt like N&B suffered from being a little too...Rare, I guess is one way I'd put it. They were always snarky assholes, but I felt like that filtered into the tone of the game itself in a way it didn't in previous ones (Conker being the obvious exception I suppose). So it wasn't just that you were emphatically not getting Banjo 3, but the game was calling you a dumb idiot baby for even wanting that.

In general LOG was also just kind of a crappy character.

Feels like it was almost a theme back then with devs going 'You want more of the thing you like? You dumb idiot babies, you'll like what we tell you to like!' and it usually takes a few high profile flops and running all of their cash cows into the ground to come crawling back with 'We have the thing you like again! It's just how you remember it! Please buy it!'

Remember XCOM?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Right, like SotN is just normal and fine, and not a complete insane reworking of the Castlevania format.

Kinda surprising in retrospect given it basically sidelines the usual Belmont in favour of an anime pretty boy, albeit one who was already established in canon.

Though it was from a while ago and not like they completely abandoned the Belmonts entirely. I think people forget that Nintendo let entire genres that had gone extinct on consoles flourish on their handhelds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cythereal posted:

The killing vs non-lethal thing is what kept me from getting into the modern Deus Ex games. Don't give me a lot of cool and interesting tools to kill people with, then call me an rear end in a top hat for using them.

Metal Gear Solid 4 and after is also a lot like this given you have forty zillion guns and the game does a sad at you for using 90% of them. Although at least Peace Walker gives you the vehicle fights as a reason to use all the rocket launchers and heavy machine guns, and those actually all have ups and downs. Hitman has a similar issue in that you get forty zillion guns but if you play it remotely well you should only have to fire one maximum twice in a mission.

Mind you, Peace Walker's mission-based structure does mean that you don't HAVE to go nonlethal every time, and you can beat vehicle fights the first time by just capping all the guards through their armoured helmets with an armour-piercing machine gun and come back with the ridiculously overpowered balloon launcher later.

I think the good way to do it is to have advantages either way. Dishonoured has the right idea in that you can get away with killing some people and the increasing Chaos is more related to leaving a mess in your wake. Also love that 2 goes full hog into the non-lethal eliminations being arguably immensely more hosed up than just killing them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of GTA V, that game's got another fun UI thing I liked. Each of the characters has a different cell phone which represents their personality and status.

Franklin has a middle of the road Samsung style phone, Michael has a luxury iPhone, and Trevor has a durable Windows phone with a crack in the screen.

River City Girls does something similar with the phone menus, though I can't find a screenshot right now. Kyoko's phone has a cutesy case and decorations, while Misako's is plain black with a cracked screen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tifa's the one who fights with her fists iirc, and doesn't have magic, guns or genetic enhancement like everyone else, not surprising she'd be complaining the most about exertion since she has the most physically demanding fighting style.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was gonna say that there's nothing more satisfying than getting properly dirty and then getting clean, but yeah

Phobophilia posted:

Goons Surprised By People Who Enjoy Bathing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and while it's a bit of a stereotype, Tifa's a girl who's also athletic while Cloud is the corporate-military version of washout Private McBumpkin who's trying to be Commander Badass, makes sense that he's less concerned about personal hygiene in comparison. (the GiP idiots thread could tell you some stories)

Goons trying to make fun of people with fetishes manage to be weirder and more tedious about it than the people with the actual fetishes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

People were pretty surprised that S-E remembered Cloud's actual characterisation from the original game.

Also Tifa probably just wants the hunky damaged bishonen to hit the coed showers. Maybe just to see what the gently caress he does with his hair.

It's kinda weird how smartphones as a video game menu has taken off so quickly, I first remember seeing it in Saint's Row The Third, but it does fit. Mostly since that day I realise Google Maps meant my phone was basically a Pip-Boy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

No More Heroes uses toilets as save points, except for the Shinobu sections in 2, who takes a shower instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

yook posted:

I think it’s mandatory on the first one, which prompts opening the door for the first meeting with TEC. Then they have that conversation about him having been observing her, getting an odd response, then prompting the other Peach interludes to investigate it and eventually he ends up helping you.

Long story short, Peach’s tiddies end up saving the world.

This is also the game where Peach steals an X-Naut disguise and later drinks an invisibility potion, both explicitly involve her taking off her dress. I think the devs got a little weird here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drat horror queefs posted:

Lore-wise, the fact that Dan can manifest even a lovely hadouken means he's actually insanely strong compared to a normal person, just not compared to godlike beings like Ryu or 16-year-old Japanese schoolgirls

Feels like it puts things into context, really. IIRC, Gouken cut Dan's training short- falsely telling him that he'd learned all he needed to know- because he sensed Dan was basically heading down the path of the Dark Side. Kinda the whole thing with characters like Evil Ryu, Violent Ken and so forth is basically a what-if of where that path can lead if unchecked. Dan is almost a case of 'trained wrong, on purpose, as a joke', as he knows a potentially very powerful supernatural fighting style but he doesn't know how to use it properly, and his mentality ensures he probably never will. (And the implication seems to be that's probably for everyone's benefit, including his) But that means that he's mostly self-taught...

While it came from the series' tradition of moveset clones, I like how they have Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Dan, Sakura, Gouken and whatnot make sense to have overlap by all practicing the same martial art (or variants of it) in different ways and their own personal styles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dan's a bit of a funny example given his entire presentation is basically as a character who has a massive amount of bluster for someone whose fighting style is a weaker version of the protagonist's, having a ridiculous amount of taunts in his moveset. The joke is that he can do magical martial arts, but vastly overestimates his competence and power. (The main comparison to Mr Satan in Dragon Ball, though attitude wise you could say a Peggy Hill of supernatural martial arts)

How weak he actually is in practice depends on the game, what with how tier lists and gameplay can end up, and they seem to sometimes make an attempt to have him be a viable if goofy character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

marshmallow creep posted:

He's so cocky when he premiered he had like four taunts that he could use at any time when every other character was limited to a taunt they could use once per match. I remember watching a video about Dan and someone mentioned that he started showing up in Street Fighter IV tournaments because his taunts actually ended up having really good potential to open into actual attacks that could good players could capitalize on.

Probably accidental, but I feel that might be a really fitting style for a character who's so cocky he catches opponents off guard because they assume he must be suicidally overconfident. (which, to be fair, he is)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Why didn’t he ever learn to use ki anyway?

I think it's not that he couldn't, but by the end of DBZ when he's finally accepted that magic is real, he's a little too old to be basically starting all over again with martial arts when he's trained all his life in a different style, especially since it's been made clear he's not really got a hope of catching up even to the normal humans. He's quite happy being a doting grandpa and playing superhero with his son-in-law. Goku also did actually consider him for the Tournament of Power when they had a last-minute drop-out, which isn't quite as bad an idea as that seems given the tournament format favours skill over raw power.

Was quite aware the Dan comparison is flawed, given Dan demonstrably can use ki or its equivalent, he just sucks at it in comparison to the properly trained characters. So the best comparison is Wimp Lo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Disgaea games have a bit of a running gag with 'unbeatable' bosses that give you a secret ending if you beat them. (which isn't unlikely given repeatable missions/new game + and that the games are designed for a player to break over their knee in a game of ridiculous grinding and and math)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That doesn't make any sense at all, he doesn't believe it exists until near the end and is then too dumb/stubborn to learn it properly

Actually pretty funny during the martial arts tournament when he sees his own daughter flying he finally stops being skeptical, and figures surprisingly accurately that flying must be something that all humans are able to do, but have 'forgotten how'.

Though it probably has less appeal when you can just go to a dealership and buy a flying car which can you store in your pocket.

John Murdoch posted:

AFAIK it's as simple as they didn't have the time/money to actually finish the game. People have datamined a whole map that's presumably the unfinished remnants of that area. And a single shot of snowy mountains in the remake trailer had people immediately theorizing that we'll finally get it in that.

Shitloads of games have something or other like this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like the Mongols would really pretend they're there for any reason but conquest either way, I'm pretty sure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

DC Universe Online does it kinda nicely. New gear unlocks new styles, but you can just set the style of any piece of your hero/villain's gear to one you've unlocked. Of course a superhero game would have to do it well.

City of Heroes kinda just cut out the middleman and makes costumes entirely cosmetic. Though they took a lot longer to figure out power customisation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vanguard Warden posted:

I was going to quote the original transmog post to respond about this, but you beat me to it. The RIFT system is neat, but it still leads to needing to stockpile a bunch of random items in case you ever want to use that style, while DC Universe Online turns it into a completionist Pokemon collect-athon for equipment styles. I've always loved this because even low-level trash gear or stuff that you've already gotten best-in-slot for can be an experience of "ooh, new gear style, let's see how this looks with everything". Guild Wars 2 mostly uses the same system with the style unlocks even being account-wide rather than character-wide, but they gate style-changes behind an in-game reward currency, which I've always found kind of unfortunate; it makes it so you can't experiment with style sets as much as you level up, because you'll constantly be swapping in new gear that overwrites everything and wastes the transmog charge.

Honestly, I wish GW2 had the same idea for gear stats as well. It's already a big burden to farm up an entire extra set of gear for a secondary build or stat spread, but then having to waste a bunch of bank slots AND spend the resources to transmog all of it on top of that is a really strong incentive to just pick one strong meta build and ride that poo poo into the ground. Fingers crossed that an expansion doesn't suddenly make you need a bunch of stuff you trashed years ago.

Unlocking new costume parts if done right is always super fun and gives people incentive to engage with content without feeling as much like they need to.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I bought Hitman (2016) yesterday and i really like how professional the bodyguards in the 1st france level are,they’re really polite when they pat you down :3

Also i had 47 dress as a model and go on the catwalk,he glams it up.

Nearly every stage has the most audacious possible disguise implied to be the canon one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

Final Fantasy XIV recently added a storyline where you help out a small group of dwarves in building tanks (to help caravans in fighting off monsters, but also because tanks are cool). And they've borrowed just enough aesthetic and theme to make it clear you're helping out the high-fantasy equivalent of a bunch of ex-Soviet-bloc teens trying to get a garage off the ground, and it's basically a perfect angle for dwarves. They hold all their meetings squatting and drinking in the equivalent of tracksuits next to the tank(s) they're building.

But the best part is when they actually finish their first tank, and they give it to you to test-drive (and later as a regular mount). Most of the mounts in FFXIV scale to the rider's size, so that everyone of every size can use the same animations.

The tank is one of the few exceptions. Because the dwarves made it dwarf-sized.

loving lol at elf Adam Jensen and/or Travis Touchdown there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eclipse12 posted:

Something that SHOULD be a little thing: let a second player control enemies. I'm not talking about designated modes like in Left 4 Dead. I'm saying in pretty much any game.

As far back as the nineties, I used to imagine how cool it would be if my buddy could control a goomba in Mario, an imp in Doom, or a random thug in Final Fight. I just assumed that was something the future would offer. Sure, the enemy player would die easily and often, but adding an unexpected variable to how that enemy acts would be really cool. And once the enemy was killed, they just take over a new enemy. Maybe you'd only get one hit in now and then, but I still think it'd add insane replay value. Most enemy movesets would be simple enough to learn and control.

Like, that should be From Software's next move. Instead of invading players, you fight human controlled regular enemies. You're in the Undead Berg or wherever and one of the enemies is controlled by a remote player. Have it glow, be worth more souls, drop better loot or whatever.

I'm having trouble thinking of almost any game that wouldn't be just a little more fun if I was able to jump in as an enemy and grief my buddies online.

The semi-implemented but cut from gameplay multiplayer mode in Banjo-Tooie is like this.

In Doom it might get funny given enemies can and do have friendly fire on each other and will retaliate against other enemies. Quite a few encounters are actually made with this in mind iirc, particularly in Doom 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC, Ruby/Sapphire had a similar problem where if you lucked out and caught a Ralts with Teleport and used it to return to one island you could only access in early game via a dude with a boat, you'd softlocked yourself because he wouldn't be there to pick you up. Not sure if the remakes fixed that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MGS Peace Walker has the tommy gun which you can upgrade to have the drum magazine, Fallout New Vegas too.

Funnily enough, IRL the drum was apparently considered impractical, being more trouble than its worth because it was too fiddly and easily jammed, as well as being heavy and awkward.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The first tommy gun in Metal Gear is when the Pain's bees turn into a tommy gun that shoots bees

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've heard it's basically a truck simulator but on foot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably helps that I bet Yu-Gi-Oh! relies a lot on branding and nostalgia, while Magic generally doesn't, and Pokemon just cheats by releasing new cards and variants for the same Pokemon in new sets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

It doesn't 'rely on it' so much as remains aware of it as a tool in its arsenal. Every so often they release new support for Dark Magician or Blue-Eyes White Dragon or something because they know people will buy it, and it is a welcoming thing to come back to that old game and see that your old standard still has some fight in it, and the most recent releases right now are some original-series throwbacks (the big terrifying card I mentioned is a Dark Magician fusion, the latest booster pack was focused on Gaia the Fierce Knight). But for the most part they're always very happy to introduce new ideas to spread out the pool a little, so that it's not just the old guard.

They also got really clever about the anime with those, too, by going for the Digimon approach. Every series has a new cast with entirely new deck themes and star cards that they can add to the game (which of course then becomes a new crop's nostalgic standard), rather than go the Pokemon angle of 'welcome to a whole new generation where we continue to push the same specific Pokemon and template starters/legendaries as the face'. I love Pokemon, but I'll give serious credit to Yu-Gi-Oh for avoiding the Pikachu And Charizard Problem.

Pokemon is more the exception here than the rule, I think, though there's not that much long-running toy commercial anime to compare it to. Mind you, you get the shonen problem where people get attached to the first cast and main character and tune out when they're not featured. (Dragon Ball and One Piece have this problem; viewers lose interest when Goku or Luffy aren't on screen for long enough, hence why the OP anime stopped adapting the other crew members' timeskip adventures as filler, and DB gave up trying to switch to Gohan as the protagonist despite a heavy push in the Buu saga) Especially since the new show's cast is basically just a slight variant on the stock shonen hero and supporting cast. (You can find success by mixing it up a little, like Digimon Tamers having either radically different kinds of characters from before or more nuanced exploration of their stock character types, but toy commercials don't like to take risks)

It's more that Pokemon isn't just the anime, with the games being the central focus, and the anime in particular mostly relegated to nostalgia at this point. (Though apparently they changed up the formula a lot recently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel one of the more underrated styles of games is ones which take an established series with its own distinctive genre trappings and traits, and then explore that setting faithfully depicted from the perspective of a different genre. Command and Conquer Renegade is rather beloved for that, I think, and it helps that a RTS setting is defined by distinct kinds of units, vehicles and buildings. Apparently Halo was originally designed as a RTS, which explains a lot. (and came full circle with Halo Wars) Tales from the Borderlands is quite liked because while the Borderlands games have their own problems, there's something interestingly meta about exploring that setting with its trappings and equipment from the perspective of characters inhabiting a different genre and solving problems in a different way.