Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, it gets elaborated on in a (fairly involved) side quest but it's never treated as some sort of shocking revelation.

I'm surprised it was supposed to be a secret. I think I figured it out before the opening sequence was done. It just seemed so blatantly obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I've been playing Rise of Nations: Extended Edition when I'm not posting huge walls of text in the What Should I Know thread in games, and I played the everloving poo poo out of it when it first came out in '03.

I just noticed that your scouts will use snowshoes if you're on a snowy map.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

"He's supercharged with elite weaponry!"
"Looks to me like he's supercharged with a dozen buckets of fried chicken."
- Bulletstorm

Holy poo poo that entire game was pretty much perfect. It actively rewards finding as many ridiculous and gory ways to kill people as possible and it's unlikely you'll be able to find a method of slaughter that is awesome but does not give you points for buying ammo and cool murder upgrades. It's basically a 90s-era FPS combined with Wild 9 and it has swearing that will, Insha'Allah, be preserved in the Louvre.

e; my point is the whole game is favorite little things

I got that for the summer sale and was in fits when the door broke with the RROD right at the start.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Veotax posted:

On the upside, it seemed to get a bunch of developers to patch their games to remove GFWL.

I wish they all would, it took me longer to get GFWL to let me even see the title screen in Bulletstorm than it did to download and install the drat thing.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Len posted:

Probably a dumb question but did any of you who had problems use an xbox live account? I've always used mine and it's given me zero grief.

My Xbox Live account is tied to a Hotmail address (which you are REQUIRED to use instead of Gmail or literally any other email address when making a new account) that I've had for probably 15+ years. This account got broken in to once, and now apparently spambots think it's easy to break in to even with a new password, so it's constantly locked out due to attempts. My Xbox can stay logged in, but anything on PC requires me to go through an unbelievably obnoxious password reset system that doesn't work 50% of the time. I'm not allowed to change the email address to something current or non Hotmail/Live to make it more secure. It is a massive pain in the rear end, and I consider Uplay to be a perfectly fine program that does its job.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Portal 2's co-op is probably the most fun I've ever had in multiplayer. Especially when both of us did the opposite of 99% of people and kept looking up, but never looked down. We spent 30 minutes on one puzzle because we never noticed the HUGE PIT in the middle of the room you were supposed to fling yourself with.

Honestly, there's very little that is more satisfying in a game where you or your partner figures out a puzzle, and helping the other reach that eureka moment where you both understand your goal and how to achieve it, and then do so.

poo poo, does anyone have any good co-op maps for Portal 2? My buddy and I beat the extra levels Valve released but now I want more.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Action Tortoise posted:

New Super Mario Bros. U

It is so easy to gently caress each other over in this game. You will always jump too close to your partner and then bounce off of them to get big air while they fall into the pit or you'll bounce them into the path of a Bullet Bill. It's great.

The counter to that was whatever Mario game had them appear in a bubble if they died. My nephew wasn't very co-op friendly and kept getting me killed, so I chucked him down a hole and cleared the level, dodging him every time he tried to get close to get busted out. It was like a whole extra level of fun to be had.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is pretty great.

It's nice to play a game that advertises itself as a sandbox game and actually get a sandbox where the game mechanics(in this case, the Nemesis system) are the star of the show rather than mission set pieces or story(like in GTA)

I also like how the game feels like an actual world. poo poo happens while your doing other stuff with the various captains and Orc leaders competing for and increasing their power. I even had one moment where I was fighting one Orc captain and two more captains came rushing into the scene and I actually had to book it out of there.

I have this loving orc who has killed me about 4 times now. He keeps showing up where I am, but I've always got the drop on him. Fucker is immune to stealth and ranged. I finally get him solo, I'm kicking his rear end, and THREE captains on patrol randomly wander up and that loving orc kills me again. He's probably going to be a warchief before I actually take him down, but it's going to be very satisfying when I do.

This game really makes you feel feelings about pretend characters. Most of them being hate. Except Ratbag. He's my bro.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Speaking of Shadow of Mordor, I went back to the first area to collect the things you collect, and decided to check on the orc army I'd annihilated except for one guy. In my absence, that one, puny little orc had just skipped right to warchief. He'd killed me to get promoted, and was only power 5 as a warchief. I decided to trigger his fight, had a caragor come up and immediately eat his face when he showed up, and that's when I got the "kill a warchief you raised" achievement. I expected that one to be harder, but it was pretty adorable. Poor little guy.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Croccers posted:

On the flip side I have one captain that's a super loving pain in the arse to kill and not fun at all. Immune to Combat Finishers (The end of Flurry combos are Combat Finishers), Immune to Stealth, Immune to Ranged, calls followers, vault breaker, regens health and stays back from combat. He's a shield guy too.
Every time I kill him and he returns I just groan and seriously think about just exiting and restarting the game so I don't have to deal with him and hope the game kills him off-screen in a Power Struggle like the game did with Doucherat :argh:

Does he have any fears? If a captain is afraid they lose all their immunities.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

I picked up Saints Row 4 for $5 on Steam. I like how fun it tries to be. Like, no restrictions on character creation, super powers in the first few missions, etc.

But it really made its way into my heart when I was beating up a bunch of aliens, and my guy said, "Shouldn'a hosed with the president."

EDIT: I have to add, for SR4: the "love" mechanic.

I have to believe that they're making fun of Bioware. When you press the button to "Romance" someone, your character says, "Hey, wanna gently caress?", and the answer is "you betcha". And then that happens

I probably boned that robot like 15 times, just because it was always funny.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Sociopastry posted:

In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, you'll sometimes trip. If you trip on the beach or in snow, there will be an imprint of your big, round head. Makes me giggle like an idiot every time.

This is from a few pages ago, but a few other things happen when you trip. If you have a carry-out coffee, you spill it and get sad about it. If you're holding a balloon, you let go and it floats away.

However the best, and most difficult to pull off, is if you trip just the right distance from a tree. Normally, you fall on your face. Instead, you slam into the tree really loving hard, then fall backwards on your rear end. I only managed to do it once, but it was extremely amusing.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I just started MGSV, and besides being fairly certain I hallucinated the entire opening, here's one thing that stood out to me. During that opening, some huge loving dude who is on fire for some reason keeps following you. During one of the cutscenes, the beat from the Terminator theme plays. It isn't very subtle if you've ever watched a movie, but it really sets the scene.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Chard posted:

Well if I didn't know that then I'm going to assume Mister Kojima made the same mistake. Anyway, that point aside it's a totally bad-rear end touch that I hope more character creators steal.

Japan has a weird fetish for that. Basically any game that lets you pick eye color will let you pick differently colored eyes if it comes from Japan.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

haveblue posted:

Lots of games use it for neat things that no one ever knows about because it's literally impossible to see during normal play.

Magicka 2 uses it to tell you which player is which controller, which is good when you only have 2 controllers and need a quick reminder which character you're stealing from your nephew when he won't just loving rez your other nephew.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

I own 3 but have never played more than 2 hours of it in the last year. It seems like a real fun game and I like the things people say about it, but everyone I try I get, I don't know, discouraged.

Tips for someone who keeps putting it down? I want to play and hit monsters.

If combat is what is holding you back, there are two big things to remember: You can only parry humans (with very very few exceptions), and you are NOT a metal clad warrior. Witchers are made to stab stuff in the butt, both with swords and with other stuff :wiggle:

If it's the sex, keep in mind that Geralt doesn't just bone everything that moves. It's usually sorceresses or high ranking noblewomen who want to bone down with a ripped dude who can't get them sick or pregnant. Sure, you CAN go to a brothel, but that costs precious money. Really, the game makes it pretty obvious when you're going for hanky panky, and is fairly easy to avoid. You're going to see boobs regardless, but sometimes women don't wear shirts.

If it isn't either of those, then just remember this is a mostly open world RPG, not an action adventure game. You will have quests and levels, and stuff WILL be too hard for you to fight if you jump the gun. Come back later, read the codex entries to learn monster weaknesses, and use them.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

He tries to dispel a djinn by yelling "Go assfuck yourself" at it, too, iirc.

e: My favorite thing in that game is Geralt's reaction to realizing that to get someone to help him, he'll have to do some fetch quest first. His sighing exasperation on "will you help me if I find your goat" during the Pellar's Princess quest is pretty great, especially how into saving Princess he gets when a bear shows up.

The line delivery on his sigh when he realizes the bullshit he's about to have to do is amazing. The animation for it coupled with the voice acting really sells that Geralt just does not give a gently caress about this guy's problem, but needs his info.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I'm in the beta for the new World of Warcraft expansion, Legion, and there is a group you interact with called the Nightfallen. Basically elf tweakers who have been cut off from their supply of mana. If they don't get mana, they devolve into mindless husks. Part of your interaction with them involves giving them ancient mana you collect in the zone. If they have mana in their "supply", they stand upright and are eloquent. If they run out, they're hunched over, scratching at their necks and arms, and won't talk. Giving them mana in this state causes them to slowly come out of that state and stand back upright. They're also all very skinny compared to their "well-fed" bad guy counterparts.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Well, that happens in every game with superspeed. If you superspeed from the top of a slope you will take fall damage.

Hell that poo poo happens in WoW. There was a bug for a bit where a hunter with Aspect of the Cheetah turned on would keep getting run speed boosted if they crossed "zone" boundaries. Boost it enough and jump while running, and the game would take into account how far you traveled while in the air and you'd die. Similar things happen if you use a flying mount, dismount while moving forward near the ground, and somehow manage to bounce off the ground. You were moving too fast to actually stop on the tiny point you hit, so you keep moving, and have thus moved too far in the air to avoid falling damage.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

Can somebody find the video of the joke ending in Headhunter where Jake nopes out of the whole evil lab thing, leaving Angela behind? I know it exists, but I can't seem to find the magic combination of keywords.

E: also, I remember there being a tank-based RPG where the first choice in the game is basically 'do you want to go on an adventure? Y/N', and if you choose 'no', you stay home and do the family business, game over. I don't recall what it was called, though.

Shadow Complex lets you say gently caress it and abandon your girlfriend to the Confederate Nazis. You even get an achievement "Plenty More Fish in the Sea".

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Been playing The Witcher 3 again recently, and during one quest, Geralt tells someone to have the town bar their doors and put a line of salt outside because some poo poo's going down that night. As you run through the town doing the quest, there are actual lines of salt outside the doors. None of the buildings are important for the quest, and they absolutely didn't have to bother with it, but every house has a line of salt only for that quest.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider has an achievement called "Was that really necessary?" which is unlocked for blowing up small animals with explosives.

Games with silly achievements that call you out for pointlessly silly things always get me smiling. :allears:

Much like enemies in Tomb Raider getting more scared of you the further you go in the game, I always loved how in Arkham Asylum, when you got to the last guy in a predator room, you could drop down in front of him, and instead of shooting you, he'd poo poo his pants and freak out for a second. It was always a fun reward for good play.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

graybook posted:

Mad Max also let you eat dog food to regain health.
And maggots.

I forced myself to watch Max eat maggots once, and closed my eyes every time after that. poo poo is nasty.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

dordreff posted:

They outright admitted it was a bug, and IIRC fixed it for everything except giants, because it was funny.

Saint's Row 2 had a similar bug made feature, solely because it was funny. The shock paddles you get for completing the ambulance missions would launch someone laying perfectly flat on their back into space. It was funny enough that Volition released a video showing exactly how to do it every time, which of course I now cannot find.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wait
A final fantasy with actual charm and character?

I'm not terribly far in, but yeah, the main 4 guys are actually pretty likable, even Noctis. He's emo, but for a surprisingly good reason for once.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

The fun thing about Noctis is how he's usually kind of dour and quiet, unless it involves fishing, which is his favorite hobby.

And also when petting cattes.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Of the games that I've beaten I think my favourite plot is Fantasy Life on the 3DS because it's so drat optimistic - there are literally no villains - every time it looks like someone is being shady is just a misunderstanding, like the war that's threatening to break out between the Kingdom of Light where you start and the Kingdom of Darkness that is the last hub you visit. The Dark King was imprisoned by the light king in a statue as retaliation for turning the light king into a child - but when you finally confront him He was just playing a game with the light king - a slowly escalating magical prank war that just got out of hand. As soon as he hears that his subjects are threatening to overreact he sends a letter off to the light kingdom to call off the prank war because thing have almost gotten really messy because of it. Then he just chills out with his wife as they are nothing but supportive of their son becoming the new Dark Lord and opening the kingdom up more because unlike the previous king he actually has friends to hang out with, and wants to make more. Then when confronting God to ask him to spare the world as it is ending He immediately starts working to figure out how to save it because you have enough of the plot resource for him to do something about it, and his daughters have become fond of it. It's just the most :3: plot.

That game is so aggressively cheerful and I love it. I think I put 150+ hours into it.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

everything i've heard about watchdogs 2 makes it sound like a great game, but the protagonists look so loving insufferable.

I'm not very far in, but the protagonists act like actual people. You aren't some angry rear end in a top hat whose entire family got killed. You're an actual likable guy surrounded by likable people.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

haveblue posted:

That and the QTE for killing Mercury are really clever/vicious.

For Mercury, he's a super-agile rear end in a top hat who keeps dashing around and being really hard to hit. Eventually you pin him down and grab hold of his legs, hanging him upside down. The game prompts you to put your finger on a button to put your blade up to his shins, but Kratos doesn't actually make the stroke until you release it, so you get to pick how long Mercury is hanging there struggling and waiting for the end.

There's also the last moment of the game where you finally beat Zeus to death; it's a mash QTE but the game won't stop until you do. You can keep on smashing his face in until so much blood splats on the screen that it's entirely red and continue letting out rage until both you and Kratos calm down.

Most devs throw in a QTE without putting any real thought into it but they went the extra mile to give them an extra edge and make them feel less like interruptions and press X to not die.

Three minutes. That's how long I beat Zeus before I realized I could stop when I wanted to. I hit him a few more times for good measure, because he was a dickhead.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

In Horizon Zero Dawn there is a relatively small area of canyons on the big map that has echoes for incidental sounds and if your character shouts/grunts/talks (when doing an attack, sliding down a hill). It blew me away so much that I purposely aggroed some nearby robots to fight near some rock walls.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I slid off a ledge and Aloy gave out a startled "Woah!" and it echoed along with the pebbles I'd knocked loose. They really went above and beyond on this game. Too bad glinthawks are such fuckers. Seriously, glinthawks, gently caress off.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Len posted:

The tear arrows usually ground them so you can crit and then murder them while frozen.

Stalkers are way worse.

Do you mean the arrow with the Sharpshot bow that goes wubwub then tears armor off?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Morpheus posted:

it's incredible some of the puns that the Dragon Quest games get up to. I don't know if the puns are in the original japanese as well, but it seems like every enemy, named NPC, town, location, whatever, are all puns.

Dragon Quest Builders doesn't really do puns, but what it does have is the player character giving absolutely zero fucks about their supposed destiny, or the plot, or anything. You just want to build, and wouldn't mind it terribly if the Goddess shut the gently caress up and let you get on with it.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

This isn't quite little, as it's the main crux of the game, but the story in Horizon: Zero Dawn is fantastic. It has quite possibly the most depressing, oppressive apocalypse story I've ever seen, and yet at the same time it also manages to be extremely hopeful. They really did a fantastic job with the world building pun intended

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing Horizon, and I like that Aloy kinda gets what's going on without too much prompting. She meets the All-Mother and realises "Hang on, I can scan this and it gives me it's stats. This is just a really big door, not a goddess...!" She just lacks the context to realise that the corruption that the door speaks of is the data concerning her family's genetic print being corrupted. It would be kinda funny to see her riding another model of "Demon" back to Mother's Embrace and just going "Oh, don't worry, this ones mine! T'ain't no magic, just this little doohicky over here!" *Heads to all-mother, inserts USB stick with her biometrics on it*. Just completely stopping giving a poo poo.

I also like her response to seeing a globe and responding to the guy trying to amaze her that the world isn't flat by saying "Yeah no poo poo, eclipses have a round shadow go across them, I'm not an idiot."

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Well I got Crackdown and i'm really enjoying it, yeah it's dated and old and some of the controls are a bit stiff but shooting your way through a warlord's compound and then climbing your way to the top and kicking him to death is great.

ps. is there a new game plus on this game? just wondering.

I don't recall there being one, unfortunately.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

Don't neglect your driving stat. I know that eventually you'll be faster running and jumping around town, but the Agency cars get cool transformations with each level of Driving you have and it should not be ignored.

The car transformations are awesome, as well. The supercar basically turns into a high speed wedge designed to shoot other cars into the stratosphere.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Didn't realise how little levels matter in Horizon until just now. I just completed a level 15 corrupted zone at level 8. A lot of experience for killing each corrupted robot too. Either that or stealth is straight broken. :)

I'm eagerly awaiting your posts once you get to the plot missions in the Northern and Western parts of the map after you leave the valley.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I'm a child.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

I keep resisting the urge to buy one for Horizon:ZD. Not sure how much longer I'm going to hold out.

Don't resist, it's worth it. A genuinely good game with a fantastic story, and quite possibly the bleakest apocalypse I've ever seen in a game.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Batman the Arkham Knight

For those who haven't played it there's a goggle thingy Batman can use called "detective mode" that Batman can use to spot enemies and other thingies. Later in the game some enemies come equipped with a sensor to detect where you're hiding if you're using that.

On a rooftop I stealth killed every one but that sensor dude. I walked right behind him and turned on detective mode. The game knew what I was doing and had a voice clip ready. The poor henchman detects me and says "this can't be right. It says he's right behind me" and turns around just to get punched in the face.

Even going back to Arkham Asylum, my favorite thing in predator rooms was leaving one guy up, having ghosted all the others, and then popping up behind him. He'll turn around and scream, completely failing to shoot you, because he's terrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Constipated posted:

Recently started playing the witcher 3 after owning it for a few months. Not too far in but I'm really digging how fleshed out and long some of the quests are. Last one I did was about a demon miscarried baby coming back from the grave to get revenge.

I haven't finished the entire quest, or read anything about the few ways (I'm assuming?) it could be resolved, but I did the good guy thing and turned it into a protective spirit that would guard it's family. I hope the rest of the game is this insane.

My favorite thing about the Witcher 3 actually involves that quest. There are no good endings to that quest. No matter what you do, something is going to go poorly for a lot of people. Either the kids are left to be eaten by witches, or an entire town is slaughtered by a horse demon. Either the Baron gets his wife back and he'll probably start beating her again, or he kills himself and his awful brute squad starts terrorizing the countryside worse than they were.