Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

LOTR Third Age was fun enough for its time, I remember enjoying it. Moria was fun, but things definitely got pretty goofy towards the end.

muscles like this! posted:

Ran into a thing in AC: Valhalla that I'm not sure how I feel about it. One of the little side story bits has you run into a musician who says he is a musical prodigy and his band is being persecuted by an angry bishop. The bishop shows up and you get into a fistfight with him while the musician keeps telling you to "smack my bishop."
Haha that's incredible.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Every game should have fall damage to all characters and also door-in-the-face damage if someone gets smashed with a door in the face. Yes, even Tetris, Fifa, and Zork, I said "every game".
Dead or Alive 3 was not a particularly amazing fighting game, but it did give you the ability to knock people around the environment, and the level design reflected this. My buddies and I found it endlessly entertaining to kick someone out a window and watch them fly out, fall down through a huge neon sign, and splat onto the pavement. You could also punch your opponent off a cliff, slam them into walls, toss them into electrical grids, etc. It ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

3D Megadoodoo posted:

E: I remember DOA3 being pretty good?
It's certainly a game we had a lot of fun with, I just never see it mentioned whenever people talk about most notable fighting games or ones with really deep mechanics or whatnot.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The early 00's were certainly a time.

verbal enema posted:

thats 100% what happened lol
Now that's what I call a hard working kind of horny!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

An Actual Princess posted:

years later, goldeneye still did it best
This is applicable to a lot of things really

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Two cheat codes for Super Punch-Out were discovered today. The first is a level-select code, which lets you jump to any fight in the game. The second lets the second player's controller control the opponent boxer. After 30 years, Super Punch-Out has vs. multiplayer.

It is, uh, not even remotely balanced.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PeacefulPreciousJellyfishFrankerZ-hQsPxzR2JZPknpyn

https://clips.twitch.tv/LitigiousSoftJaguarPermaSmug-NLYTLDGjchHQh_FX
It always amazes me when functions like this get discovered way way after you'd expect, especially with TAS runs and such these days.

Also tremendous :lol: at both of those clips.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Die Hard in Hyrule... might kinda work. It's not far off a lot of Zelda games.
Sneaking through different levels, each with their own gimmick or puzzle to solve, while gathering equipment in order to eventually defeat the head bad guy.

Yeah that checks out, I'd play it.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I kept having people try to convince me to add a stealth section to my game about arcade naval combat. This is my response:

:sickos:

On top of everything else about how much this rules, "byobattleship" is an amazing username. Top marks all around.

Hel posted:

Either Assassins Creed 3 or Black Flag had a ship stealth section, IIRC you basically followed an enemy ship through a swamp and stopped at predetermined hiding spots to not be detected, was not a good idea.
It was Black Flag and it sucked rear end.

However, a little thing that I do enjoy about Black Flag is that it's great for short bursts of pickup gaming during lunch, commutes, etc. Definitely worth the $20 on the Switch store. It probably helps that I didn't play it before now though.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

christmas boots posted:

In Black Flag I enjoy that the protagonist spends about 75% of the game trying not to learn anything about the main plot (except about the thing that everyone's after) because it has nothing do with being a pirate and getting rich.
I find this very relatable. Being a pirate is much more entertaining than trying to unravel an AssCreed game plot.

On a similar note, I have no clue what the actual storyline of Skyrim is, because whenever I start a game I immediately gently caress off into the woods as soon as I get the first shout.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

MadDogMike posted:

Hitman Contracts like I mentioned (third game technically I think, but it included remakes of the first game’s missions as “memories”). Here’s killing the ghost, it even gets you an achievement apparently.
If guards come across it, do they get alerted? I don't know which answer would be more logical.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Aug 17, 2022

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Jagged Alliance 2 had a demo back in the day that was it's own mission that didn't appear in the rest of the game. I must have played that for dozens of hours over at my friend's house.
Extremely :same: I played the poo poo out of that demo. They gave you a nice mix of mercs that ranged from really good (Shadow), middle of the pack (Vicki), and "well, not very good, but he's got funny voice lines" (Gasket). I also put a lot of hours into the actual game and never got close to beating it cause I spent all my time meticulously sorting items in towns or goofing off exploring the map.

I tried to get 1.13 working on a modern system last weekend and it refused to cooperate :(

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The PC Gamer disc that came with a demo for Soldier of Fortune let you play through a few levels (three I think?) that gave you a setup to the world and plot, it was fine but nothing too out of the ordinary. The part that stood out to younger me is that you could play multiplayer with the demo, which led to playing tons of a pretty decent deathmatch mode.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

verbal enema posted:

loving remaster Cutthroats! goddamnit!
PYF games you desperately wanted to love despite a million flaws :sigh:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Perhaps John Romero did make us all his bitch in the end.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

sebmojo posted:

my favourite little thing in games is seeing the dwarf fortress nerds blissfully happy big dumb faces, there are men who are unironically living the dream. also the soundtrack for the new steam version slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgXQKqGhfIY
But how can you improve on perfection? (having an expanded soundtrack is actually nice and the songs sound pretty good. Also holy poo poo a UI that doesn't feel like it's from 1992, with mouse support even?!)

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I find it endlessly amusing how every ocean game ramps up the waves to 12. Those waves have to be at least Sea State 5 (a.k.a. "Rough") and might well be 6 ("Very Rough"). Sea state 6 is waves of at least 4 meters. I can't imagine that actual sailing ships in ancient Greece would want to go out on the water in these conditions.

But hell, I'm just as much to blame as anyone. Here's "Impossible" waves in my game:

https://i.imgur.com/tfl3t03.mp4

:v:
This looks completely ridiculous.

How do I preorder

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Agents are GO! posted:

I started replaying Final Fantasy IX, and in one of the opening scenes your party is in a battle that takes place in an in-game theater production. During this battle, the characters have access to a battle command called 'SFX'. It allows you to cast flashy 0-damage spells. Because it's just a play. :allears:
It's been so long since I played IX that I forgot this happened, delightful.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Maigius posted:

The Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past Randomizer has a bunch of custom sprites. Each one is a little surprise to see how they charge in the various game states like dying, getting an important item, and the unpowered bunny state. Two sprites that were really good were Ryu who's bunny state was Dan Hibiki crying and Moosh, who used all three animal companions from the Oracle games at various points.
I think the Mario one changes into Sonic in bunny mode, or maybe it's vice versa.

Also one of the alt sprites is a can of Sprite, which is the kind of dumb metajoke I can appreciate.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'm not really that into racing games, but ngl this Forza chat is making me want to get it, I assume it's horizon 3 that's got all this stuff?
:same: I don't think I've played a non-Mario Kart racing game since like one of the older Need for Speeds, but this thread is a very effective ad campaign.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Kit Walker posted:

More games should let you move so fast that you can run off a mountain and land two countries away
Asheron's Call kind of let you do this, with Run and Jump being skills. You could raise them with skill points and also magically buff them both directly and indirectly (by buffing the attributes they were based on). You could pull off some fairly ridiculous leaps at higher levels.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

lord funk posted:

A friend of mine enlisted his dorm mates to beat it on a NES. They grinded for weeks before finally beating it.

This was all pre-Twitch / streaming / speedrunning. It was just to see that they could do it. To accomplish something impossible. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.
My junior year, my housemates and I decided to try and collectively beat Battletoads co-op via emulator. Through a combination of learned muscle memory and wildly abusing savestates we were able to get past multiple horrible race levels and difficult segments, until we got to the point where you have to outrun some saw blades. We gave up after realizing it was physically impossible due to co-op lag.

Hel posted:

I've been playing Gotham Knights, the Not Arkham Batman game from the devs of Arkham Origins, and it's mostly pretty Ok, with a few issues here and there. There is however one detail I really like, there is very pointedly no Joker in it, despite the game referring to Barbara's back being broken and Jason Todd being killed, he's never mentioned in relation to that. The closest it actually gets is referring to him is as "Harley Quinn's old partner". It's a tiny thing, but honestly felt really refreshing after every other Batman game just crams him in everywhere because he's the most recognizable villain.
DC electing to sideline Joker instead of him being in loving everything has honestly been really nice, because he just sucks complete rear end.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Phy posted:

I just found out about the Super Mario 1 a+start continue trick.

Just now.

Where was this thirty-six years ago??
You should have asked your uncle.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I liked the guidebooks that were like 1/3 regurgitating info already in the game, 1/3 deeper lore, and 1/3 actual tips.

Incredible.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Waste of Breath posted:

And the other secret exit in the racetrack stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGqL6P4JeQM
That is a surprisingly faithful reproduction of Bayfront Park.

Also, lol

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

moosecow333 posted:

I talk a lot about music in this thread but the soundtrack for the Steam release of Dwarf Fortress is so good.

Some songs will play during the course of normal gameplay and others will play when you’re being invaded.

So on top of the music being good, whenever I hear the Forgotten Beast song I now get to remember the time a bard beat a giant to death with his stone instrument or the time my axe dwarf bit onto a goblins tongue and tore it out with his teeth.

If you like acoustic guitar you should check it out.
The original theme is great too! It's just a little bit of the creator goofing around on a guitar, but it loops great and sets the perfect mood for the game.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

CitizenKain posted:

Also, pinning someone as a gang informant, and pinning the person next to them as a police target, and just letting a that clear out a area was handy.
Using infighting to solve an objective/thin out hostiles/just gently caress around is my favorite thing in Streets of Rogue.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I gotta say, for a twenty year old game Metroid Prime looks pretty good.

Anyway, since this is The Good Thread, something I appreciate about Peglin (which is a Peggle roguelike, basically) is that every single one of the balls you can find has a punny name. Also they made the wise choice to call them "orbs" instead of "balls". So you've got the Sphear, which is a spear orb that can overpenetrate enemies. There's the Icircle, a frosty orb. You've got the Jack-Orb-Lantern and Poltorbgeist. The Swoltorb makes future throws more powerful. The Shock Orbsorber grows stronger the more bombs you've set off. And so on. It's impressive how hard they commit to the bit, frankly.
These are all incredibly cheesy, I love it.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Phy posted:

The giant robot version of a clapped-out civic with a fartcan and a stick-on Pep Boys hoodscoop
I hope the robots go WOO WOO too.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Read After Burning posted:

I can never see "Ave Maria" anymore without remembering Dan Ryckert going "What's the name of that opera song? Eva Angelina?" :allears:
A quick search reveals that she is now a firefighter, which is quite the career change.

Randalor posted:

I can still see the boat and anything past the boat. Put on more Disco lasers.
:hmmyes:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

2 Rome 2 Furious

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Throwing/kicking mooks off platforms is always satisfying, especially when the game realizes this and gives you a little added extra like that.

It's a delight only surpassed by yoinking them off a rooftop from below.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

He does a couple cameo spots on the radio too!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Solenna posted:

In Yakuza 0 you can run a cabaret club and eventually poach hostesses from rival clubs named after planets.

Club Mercury has a lady dressed in blue, Club Venus has a lady dressed in orange, Club Mars has a lady dressed in red, and Club Jupiter has a lady dressed in green.

These match the colours of Sailors Mercury, Venus, Mars and Jupiter in Sailor Moon and while I don't think it means a damned thing I do think it's funny.
:lol: Incredible.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Read After Burning posted:

What are some of y'alls favorite examples of this?

I put an insane amount of hours into the air hockey mini-game in Beyond Good and Evil. :allears:
Tetra Master (Final Fantasy IX)
Blitzball (Final Fantasy X)
Crash mode (any given Burnout title)
Skyrim overworld (The Elder Scrolls V)

Plus if the auction house in various MMOs counts, hoo boy have I spent a ton of time in the past playing the markets.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Hel posted:

Just put a rollcage on the wheelchair and the dodgerolls will be exactly as realistic as they are in a normal souls-game.
Wheelchair with a rollcage sounds rad as hell, I want to see this now.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Kitfox88 posted:

MINIMUM HEIGHT
MAXIMUM ARM
Back in the Dreamcast days, one of the NBA2k games (I think it was 2k1) had a character customizer that let you mess with the size of each body part and the graphical changes were wild. It was hilarious to goof around with since you could end up with players that looked completely ridiculous. We had four of us playing co-op one time and created a team of weirdos:

- center with maxed height (7' something), maxed biceps, and minimum everything else
- guard with minimum height, maximum size for every body part, and maxed stealing & speed
- forward with huge lower body/zero upper body who was very slow but top in every kind of shooting so he'd make baskets from like half court
- other forward with minimum size in every body part who was amazing at dunking
- fifth teammate for the AI who sucked at everything but it didn't matter cause the four of us dominated. I think we gave him a giant head

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cythereal posted:

Warhammer Total War has introduced me to the joy that is watching heavy cavalry land a rear charge into skaven gun lines, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching the rats and their heavy weapons filling the skies of the Old World.
I had this shown off to me the other day (It was Bretonnian heavy knights against some sort of flimsy undead) and I will agree that it was an excellent decision to have the physics be way over the top. Seeing charge recipients go flying far and wide is a simple yet delightful pleasure. :allears:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Captain Hygiene posted:

Tears of the Kingdom's desert region starts off covered by a sandstorm, as usual, which seems like a recipe for annoyance as it obscures your map and compass and makes it tough to see.
Seems like da rude move by the devs.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

So there's lots to post about in this thread regarding TMNT Shredder's Revenge, since the game is a giant love letter to the classic cartoon/toy commercial. There are more little references and jokes stuffed in there than you can shake a stick at, with one glaring fan-favorite exception. Well, DLC just got announced, and Usagi Yojimbo will not only make an appearance, he'll be a playable character!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

muscles like this! posted:

I can't remember if this is in all of them but in Uncharted 2 when you start a puzzle Nate draws in the relevant details and then when you finish the puzzle he draws in the solution.
I can't believe I never noticed this. Almost makes me want to dig it out for a replay.

Oh, a PYF little thing in Uncharted 2: the intro train sequence blew me away when I first played it. I thought it was such a cool way to open the game. Then later on there's a whole level (a really fun one too; fantastic setpiece) where you play through what happened leading up to the intro!

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cleretic posted:

A realization brought on by Sonic Frontiers, but I feel like this is accurate in all games:

The best kind of collectible are songs for a jukebox or playlist function. Especially if it's a game in a long-running franchise that can stuff the whole thing with their own back catalog.
I generally find most of the object collectathons to be annoying or unrewarding in the rear end Creed games but you'd better believe I'll do every chase to get a shanty I find in Black Flag/Rogue.

Side note, that two pack is a great buy on the Switch; they're perfect "pick up and play for 10-20 minutes during lunch break" games.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Jul 12, 2023