Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Arx Monolith posted:

Unless you cheat, get access to everything and use it as a movie maker instead of a studio sim. There used to be a website that you could upload to and man, there were some good rear end movies people made.

Behold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZn1juRrTYs

I would love to get back into this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

There's an article about a journalist gathering a bunch of Yakuza to play it and wrote down their thoughts.

Funny parts where when they agreed on the game's choice of which food and energy drinks heal better, how Kiryu's dragon tattoo was too modest, and that his suit was mostly spot on as a Yakuza save for the cheap looking red shirt.

Edit: found it
http://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

Great article, thanks for sharing. Loved the part where they are all basically in love with the journalist to the point where one is like hey don't say that name it's offensive. And then they rag on him for being in the Jewish CIA.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was watching the movies from the Legacy of Kain games and I remember being a little edgelord in the 90s getting my little hands on Soul Reaver. It wasn't until after Blood Omen 2 that I even realized there was a Blood Omen 1. That whole series is such glorious melodrama.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That's what happened? I got into the existential stuff but didn't really understand anything about why he was there or how he got there.

Content:

The kills in the Friday the 13th game are appropriately brutal but I like the little touches that make them just feel mean. Like Jason takes you out and then for no reason steps off your face while walking off or gives you a shove to get off his weapon as if you are just a nuisance in his way.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just got into Yakuza 0 after watching some LPs. I spent an entire night going to karaoke, destroying the claw machine and topping my high score in1980s arcade racing games. Not once did I feel like i was wasting my time.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Bullshit.

*google search*

What the gently caress..

Great post/avatar combo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What was up with Troy's VA as Ocelot? Did he just not wanna try for sounding like the old character or did the voice director say just be yourself? Because the dude HAS range.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I haven't cared for any of the modern Far Cries because none of them have delivered a satisfying ending. They all seem to go for grimdark "everything you did was for naught, thanks for playing" bullshit.

I think Primal had a pretty decent ending at least straight forward enough. None of this you were the monster all along, or hey all the good guys were actually bad crap. Tribe continues - the end.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is nuts, but a few pages back people started talking about Yakuza and I was actually on my way here to type something up for 6 lol. I love being able to throw people and they interact with items in the background making it more brutal like when I throw them through a window or into a bike rack.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Bussamove posted:

The best Yakuza heat moves will always be fights on balconies or piers. Throwing an endless stream of dudes over the railing is a joy and a treat.

I cannot wait to play Kiwami 2 so I can throw people off moving vehicles going 100 mph.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

This game is of course the Little Things masterpiece. I was just trying to get to a temple and this lady decided it was the best place for her flower maze. I tried to get through it 3 times and finally decided it had to go. I didn't actually think it would result in this amazing shot. She looks like a villain from Battle Royale.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The tweets in Spiderman are so good. One of my favorites are these three or four guys talking about lifting weights and Spider-Man chiming in to their delight. The best part are their screen names. Winners like Brosidon, Broseph and other suchs.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Queen Combat posted:

I want to get one of these newfangled consoles to play, specifically the PS4 because Horizon Zero Dawn is a game that I must own (even if it's not that great, see ME3). What order do the Yakuza games go in? I'm so damned confused with the numbering and release dates.

PYF games, just everything about the skinner box that is Slime Rancher for the first ten hours. Haven't felt that mesmerized by complete by-the-numbers garbage since 2009 and Minecraft. I'm done with Slime Rancher now, but man the $3 for it from SAMart was a great buy for a couple days' of podcast-listening mindless entertainment.

Yakuza 0, Kakuza Kiwami, Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6 are all PS4. I've heard they are gonna redo the other ones as well. Bonus: Fist of the North Star.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In Devil May Cry 5 each character has different taunts depending on what style rank you currently have. For example Nero will play air guitar with actual music coming out. Cool cool.

Hot goth new boy will conduct an invisible symphony to play Ride of the Valkyries.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My favorite thing about Sekiro is how it's centered around making each fight look cool. If you parry even half decent you can end up looking like a really great action movie. There is this one boss fight where he will attack you maybe 10 times in a row. If you parry each shot you will both be flung back to a starting position in your katas. It's awesome.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I like both types of games. Beating something like Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 makes me just feel good about myself. Same with beating RE2 Remake on Hardcore twice and getting all the secret weapons.

But I also love playing games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age or Baldur's Gate where people go on about how what you are doing is not normal in their world and it's really amazing even if it feels effortless from your end. Which is how people like that are in real life. Some people can do some amazing things that are effortless for them but really hard for others.

One of my favorite examples is the Witcher series where past missions will come up almost as a title like holy poo poo that's the guy that took down a god drat wyvern.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

If I will be playing the Yakuza games through Steam, which one should I start with?

Start with 0 then skip Kiwami and go straight to Kiwami 2.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I loved playing Red Faction back in 2001 and being able to not find a key but still advance by blowing up the wall next to the locked door.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My son has been getting into the old sonic games and it's been fun kinda telling him how things were different when I was a kid. Like I'll use WEMOD to help him get through 99 percent of games and then explain to him how I never beat certain games until recently because unless you had both the game genie/gameshark and the code books you couldn't use cheat codes. And these games were designed to not only be hard but to make you start all the way over so you could get all the way to the end and then end up back at green hill zone and that's kinda it for that session.

It's kinda wild how different it is for him than it was for me in like '92. I remember going to video game stores and writing down codes from books I couldn't afford or straight up tearing out pages because we didn't have the internet until like '96.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I have a real soft spot in my heart for Shadow Hearts on the PS2. I used to rent that game all the time. I just really dug the time period, the location, the violence, the gameplay. It's so unique and I don't think I've seen an RPG quite like it still.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

A little detail I always enjoyed is your castle base for wolf school witchers in Witcher 1 and 3. In a lot of games that go back to old locations they change it quite a bit and you have to pretend it looked like that. I'm thinking of the jedi conclave in SWTOR or the remnants of the hero guild in Fable 2. They don't match up at all.

But the castle in witcher 3 is exactly how you left it in Witcher 1. To the point where if you played the game you already know where certain rooms are and how to get there.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Been playing through Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 again (gosh might be like the 50th time I've played through these games since 98) and there is something timeless about this series. I like how the first game is not about saving the world but about dealing with a regional issue. And the 2nd game is about dealing with a personal issue where you aren't even the target rather your very specific heritage. And the villains ultimate goal won't destroy the world but he is on his own quest of revenge. I love these games.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You know who gets a raw rear end deal? Leah from Diablo 3. Like drat not even a little bit of redemption huh? And she didn't fall into corruption she just got betrayed and had no way to fight back.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

A little cool thing in Street Fighter 6 - on the aircraft carrier Jp's clothes will billow including his vest and pants.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In Baldur's Gate 3 you can use a spell to speak to dead. But if you killed the person you try to use the spell on their spirit won't speak to you because they are mad you killed them. So what you do is use the disguise self spell and make yourself look like someone else and then use the spell and now they will.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Bussamove posted:

There’s a small handful where this rule doesn’t apply and its always a treat. I killed (Act 3 stuff pretty late) Gortash and wanted to poo poo talk his ghost. Bane answered instead because Gortash was busy getting his soul turned inside out for failing him.

Oh gently caress! I gotta try that next time.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I appreciate how quiet Spider-Man 2 runs and how fast it loads. Much different experience to the first one on the PS4.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Also I haven't tested them all but after you wear a suit for a while in spider man 2 they get visual wear and tear

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

From a while back but my favorite chill town music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hegvprK4TrM

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Are you given more reasons to hate that gently caress Ted Farro in the sequel?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Biplane posted:

Ted Faro is the most realistic depiction of a billionaire in media so far.

My wife asked why I was laughing reading this thread and I told her because gently caress Ted Farro and she said who's that. And I was like he's just Elon Musk put into a video game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That's hilarious. Brands never stop branding

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In Pentiment the older characters have faded and their coloring is splotchy

Shard has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Apr 1, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Two Best Friends Play playing every single David Cage game and breaking down why they make no sense are about as thorough of an in depth analysis as you can get as to why he's such a terrible writer.

That studio would make better games without him but also it's his studio so it will never happen.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TGG posted:

I can never imagine a point when the Witcher 3 will ever be truly ugly, it just works. Even things like infinity engine games will always work due to the strength of the style and direction.

I unironically love the way bg1 and 2 look. They just take me back to a time and place in my life other old pc games dont

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

Thanks! I translated the non-voiced stuff, and this reaction is a particularly flattering one.

wait...you translated the text? In 2003? Like legit worked on the localization team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, Jeremy Blaustein did the voiced stuff and I did the unvoiced--and the song lyrics. There were a couple of bits of flavor text that got added at some point that Jeremy handled, but otherwise, it was me. I was only 24 at the time, so I guess I still had a good handle on a teen girl's voice. :)

holy poo poo awesome job. That game rules. I love Heather's characterization in the game. She is like this perfect balance of snarky teen, but also kinda dumb, and less scared and more pissed off which fits her arc through the game.