Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-25055.html

According to that site, the series will be a total of 12 episodes. It might be a good idea to take this time between seasons to watch the original series, as they probably won't be covering the murders all too much. I can think of four or five episodes they would be making already with the new content and that doesn't leave a lot of time to reach out to the truth.

Also, I added a Kanji bio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
At this point I legitimately want to watch this show now just to see what they're trying to do with it. Is it really going to be NG+?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-25055.html

According to that site, the series will be a total of 12 episodes. It might be a good idea to take this time between seasons to watch the original series, as they probably won't be covering the murders all too much. I can think of four or five episodes they would be making already with the new content and that doesn't leave a lot of time to reach out to the truth.

Also, I added a Kanji bio.

Kind of weird it's listed twice though. Just a typo?

Squibidyflop
Jul 30, 2013

I get the feeling I'll be in the minority in saying that I actually prefer Golden to the original game. That may just come down to Chie's voice though.

I hope this series doesn't have the same :downs: faces on characters in the background, it was hugely distracting in the first one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's no way you're in the minority, Golden is far and away the better version of P4. Not all of the story additions are outstanding but there's some really great stuff (such as the Jester S. Link) and there's a lot more going for it gameplay-wise.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, no one should need to worry about the Japanese VAs changing. This thing isn't going to get a dub for a while if Persona 3: Spring of Birth is anything to go by. If you haven't been keeping up with the persona spinoff games, they had more VAs replaced for the localization.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Squibidyflop posted:

I hope this series doesn't have the same :downs: faces on characters in the background, it was hugely distracting in the first one.

The studio this time is A1 so I think this is the last thing we have to worry about.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

The Mitsuo stuff was part of it. Yu's shadow does appear proper and is involved in the Margaret fight in the OVA.

I just hope that the BGM for that fight is Shin Mitsuo Tensei. That was one of the greatest surprises in P4G, I hope that gets included.

I didn't mind Marie honestly. She was another girl to add to the harem, but then Atlus made me feel like a total oval office on Valentine's day :smithicide:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
So should I watch the original anime first before watching this one? I've never played or seen persona before but this seems interesting. Also which persona should I pick up if I want to get into the series?

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
I would definitely watch the first anime before this, as if P4GA really does clock in at 12 episodes there will be a lot that's glossed over. Persona 4 is a fine starting point for the series; I would recommend picking up a copy of Golden if you have a Vita, as the extra content and extra features are excellent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Revolver Bunker posted:

So should I watch the original anime first before watching this one? I've never played or seen persona before but this seems interesting. Also which persona should I pick up if I want to get into the series?
Realistically speaking your only choices are Persona 3 or 4, and there isn't really a consensus as to which one you should do first. Gameplay improvements in P4 will make some aspects of P3 feel annoying if you go P4->P3, especially if you play Golden on a Vita.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can probably blow through the anime in a weekend. It was even recut as a movie called Persona 4 The Animation -The Factor of Hope- in Japan and if you're :filez: savvy you can probably find it.

Be very careful though not to look at related posts or news if you search because a character important to the plot of the game got brought back for the fighting game spinoff and people are being loose with spoilers since it's a sequel.

Squibidyflop
Jul 30, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Realistically speaking your only choices are Persona 3 or 4, and there isn't really a consensus as to which one you should do first. Gameplay improvements in P4 will make some aspects of P3 feel annoying if you go P4->P3, especially if you play Golden on a Vita.

Persona 3 Portable isn't too bad, considering the PSP's limitations. They incorporated a few things from P4's battle system to make it less frustrating (i.e. controlling party members), and you can get it through PSN and play it on Vita too.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

Play the Persona 3 and 4, the anime is alright and does do a few things better but it's best to play the games since they're excellent RPGs. You could skip P3 I guess if you don't mind missing out on some callbacks but P3 is good enough to check out.

Persona 3 has a PSP remake called Persona 3 Portable. It chops out the anime cutscenes (which look bad anyway), walking around in the overworld (not a big deal imo plus faster travel added in), and The Answer post story game which was rather poorly received and you can Youtube the whole thing. P3P adds in Persona 4 vanilla's quality of life improvements and a female protagonist who overall has much better social links and a better personality than the male version. I recommend this over the PS2 one because of the female protagonist option and your party members won't dick you over since you can control them directly.

Persona 1 and 2 are entirely skippable and they have nothing to do with P3/P4 aside from some small references that don't really impact anything. Plus they've aged rather poorly gameplay wise, especially P1 even in the PSP remakes.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

aers posted:

Aniplex USA picked up P4GA, it'll be on all the regular streaming sites.

"this time around" huh.

Well, so much for cheap BDs!

I was kind of expecting it since A-1's owned by Aniplex but I felt there was a chance Sentai could've gotten it since they got the original anime.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Well, so much for cheap BDs!

I was kind of expecting it since A-1's owned by Aniplex but I felt there was a chance Sentai could've gotten it since they got the original anime.

Sentai didn't even get the 90 minute Persona 3 movie and Aniplex just shipped out the Blu-Rays Japan got with a bonus translated booklet. All for the low, low price of $99.98 $79.98

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

planetarial posted:

Play the Persona 3 and 4, the anime is alright and does do a few things better but it's best to play the games since they're excellent RPGs. You could skip P3 I guess if you don't mind missing out on some callbacks but P3 is good enough to check out.

Persona 3 has a PSP remake called Persona 3 Portable. It chops out the anime cutscenes (which look bad anyway), walking around in the overworld (not a big deal imo plus faster travel added in), and The Answer post story game which was rather poorly received and you can Youtube the whole thing. P3P adds in Persona 4 vanilla's quality of life improvements and a female protagonist who overall has much better social links and a better personality than the male version. I recommend this over the PS2 one because of the female protagonist option and your party members won't dick you over since you can control them directly.

Persona 1 and 2 are entirely skippable and they have nothing to do with P3/P4 aside from some small references that don't really impact anything. Plus they've aged rather poorly gameplay wise, especially P1 even in the PSP remakes.

Thanks for the advices all. Looks like I'll be searching for the Persona 3 for the PSP. If I did want to check out the Persona 4 anime what options do I have? It looks like ADV films has the rights to it. Is it on Hulu or other streaming sites?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

Thanks for the advices all. Looks like I'll be searching for the Persona 3 for the PSP. If I did want to check out the Persona 4 anime what options do I have? It looks like ADV films has the rights to it. Is it on Hulu or other streaming sites?

It's on Hulu.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

planetarial posted:

Persona 3 has a PSP remake called Persona 3 Portable. It chops out the anime cutscenes (which look bad anyway)

I thought the Persona 3 cutscenes were just straight up weird. Then I watched the Persona 3 anime movie which was so bland that it elevated the game cutscenes to stylish and well directed works of arts. Seriously, I love them now. You can of course just play P3P and watch the anime cutscenes on youtube.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I thought the Persona 3 cutscenes were just straight up weird. Then I watched the Persona 3 anime movie which was so bland that it elevated the game cutscenes to stylish and well directed works of arts. Seriously, I love them now. You can of course just play P3P and watch the anime cutscenes on youtube.

Atlus' Japanese YouTube actually has a thing called "Persona 3 for Busy People" where they cover the story using P3P with the cutscenes. Of course it's in Japanese so it's useless to a lot of people. Also it cuts off in the middle of the game, so I guess it's not a good thing to use to catch up.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Dehry posted:

Sentai didn't even get the 90 minute Persona 3 movie and Aniplex just shipped out the Blu-Rays Japan got with a bonus translated booklet. All for the low, low price of $99.98 $79.98

A-1 is doing the P3 Movies so Aniplex was going to get those regardless.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.daisuki.net/anime/calendar/

Daisuki has Persona 4 listed with a Friday airing. We'll see what Crunchyroll lists as the airtime.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some preview shots of the anime came out today: (Click to link to a larger size)

Most notable on the second image is that it looks like they decided to keep the Persona 4 Animation chain of events for the first time they go into the TV.

E: PV2

Dehry fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 10, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So the first episode of this should be airing today, right?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's the official statement:

Crunchyroll posted:

Persona4 the Golden ANIMATION is set to broadcast every Thursday starting on July 10th at 12:00pm Pacific Time for its premium members, with free members able to watch one week later. More information can be found on https://www.crunchyroll.com/persona4.

There's also supposed to be an early showing and I'm checking Japanese sites for any impressions. The anime airs at almost 1PM Eastern time, technically Friday at 2am in Japan.

E: Preview just ended. I'm seeing a lot of people refrence a Tsuyokutenyugemu and second round so it may indeed be a NG+ run.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 10, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:siren: The anime has aired and it is indeed a new game plus version of events. You need to watch the first anime.:siren:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

This is going to be an absolute glorious trainwreck.

Also they've already skipped parts of the plot so watch/play the original.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Dehry posted:

:siren: The anime has aired and it is indeed a new game plus version of events. You need to watch the first anime.:siren:
I made it part way through the anime but I finished the game. Does the anime change anything up or am I fine in watching this show?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The biggest thing the anime changed was the introduction and expanding on the characters. There were two summer episodes that were anime original, Mitsuo's episode went anime original, and then the True Ending was anime original and even introduced a shadow for Yu. The biggest thing is going to be that Yu knows exactly who the killer is and even how he got his powers. Since you've played the game I guess it's OK.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

This is going to be amazing. :allears:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Dehry posted:

This whole series is going to be really weird.
This episode ended with Yu's persona awakening, and from the preview it looks like in the next episode Kanji is going to be part of the gang already.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
At least the animation is a step up from the previous series, hopefully they keep Yu's deadpan as well.

This is the first time I've heard the Japanese voices for Persona, Teddie's voice is really annoying.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It looks like it's just going to be 12 episodes of Golden content.

Thankfully (?) it doesn't look like this is going to be a crazy time travel story, it's just literally P4 NG+. Yu starts maxed out, breaks the entire game over his knee, then spends all of his time loving around.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

charismaslover posted:

At least the animation is a step up from the previous series, hopefully they keep Yu's deadpan as well.

This is the first time I've heard the Japanese voices for Persona, Teddie's voice is really annoying.

Wait until you hear Rise. :getin:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one should ever have to hear JP Teddie and RIse.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
With the premiere of the anime, I want to go back and NG+ P4G. I have only played through once and haven't broken it over my knee yet in NG+

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'd be okay with another 11 episodes of that.

I kind of hope the other main character Personas get to do equally crazy poo poo though. Chie and Naoto's are really cool looking so it'd be nice if they got to stomp rear end too.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm glad they're giving Marie's poems the right level of respect they deserve.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Beef Waifu posted:

No one should ever have to hear JP Teddie and RIse.

I've never gotten the hate for Kugimiya's work in the persona series. I mean sure, Rie Kugimiya's tsundere range can be grating as gently caress, but here she doesn't strike me as her usual type-casting. Well, maybe her Kagura voice at times, but part of the deal is that her work here goes along fairly well for the type of character Rise is.

Kappei Yamaguchi, though? Motherfucker's voice is like nails on a chalkboard. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

By the way, whoever's directing the animation of this has a really weird image of normal human proportions. If you want a laugh, start looking at people's legs/torsos.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 11, 2014

• Locked thread