Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The end of the episode was anti-climactic as gently caress. I liked the rest of the episode (learning more about Adachi, Yu busting out the final Personas of his buddies and family, the brawl between Adachi and Yu, etc.) but Yu just destroying Ame-no-Sagiri in one blow was just really weird and off.

Also I honestly expected Kaguya to show up in this episode when Marie gave Yu her comb, but I guess Kaguya will make an appearance when Yu's fighting Marie or whatever.

Also, Christmas Eve with every girl? Surely nothing will go wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Next episode looks amazing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The end of the episode was anti-climactic as gently caress. I liked the rest of the episode (learning more about Adachi, Yu busting out the final Personas of his buddies and family, the brawl between Adachi and Yu, etc.) but Yu just destroying Ame-no-Sagiri in one blow was just really weird and off.

Also I honestly expected Kaguya to show up in this episode when Marie gave Yu her comb, but I guess Kaguya will make an appearance when Yu's fighting Marie or whatever.

Also, Christmas Eve with every girl? Surely nothing will go wrong!

It's NG+ and Izanagi has 99 in all stats. I see no problem with Yu being OP. :colbert:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But he used Magatsu Izanagi which he just got.

Why am I arguing over this your point is actually valid.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dehry posted:

In Golden you get the chance to confront Adachi right before the final battle. Yu is supposed to get Adachi's persona after battling the eyeball. The rest of that was fast forwarding and anime original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIll4HWzFys

In the anime though he literally got shot and slumped then it continued.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Szmitten posted:

In the anime though he literally got shot and slumped then it continued.

Nah, you can see the bullet in the wall behind him. I'm assuming he slumped because a guy he thought was a friend just turned out to be a murderous rear end in a top hat who nearly shot him.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Doc Aquatic posted:

Nah, you can see the bullet in the wall behind him. I'm assuming he slumped because a guy he thought was a friend just turned out to be a murderous rear end in a top hat who nearly shot him.

Hahahaha. I completely missed that. This series is still kinda inscrutible though.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

How are they going to spread the one last plot point across the next five episodes? This is just going too fast.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Christmas Episode, New Year's Day episode, Where's Marie?/Ski Trip, There's Marie/Valentine's Day, True End + Epilogue.

Done.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I am amazed they're still playing the poem intros straight.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm kind of sad they didn't show Adachi's link as being the Jester and the subsequent transformation into Hunger after their meeting in the TV world. I guess in the end, it isn't very important, but it was an interesting look into how different their relationship really was as compared to what was in Yu's/the player's mind. It would've been a nice highlight to Adachi's rant.

Anyway, they need to devote at least half of the next episode to Naoto and Yukiko making you feel like the biggest irredeemable dick on the planet.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Is it weird for me wanting Adachi to have a redeeming quality of any sort? Well, I suppose you can entertain the idea that he felt left out/rejected everywhere and went completely off the hinges thanks to that. Sort of the guy who's supposed to be bullied, I suppose? Except most of it is inside his head. His entire persona makes me think of school shootings - except at least *some* of those culprits have better motives than Adachi does (extreme bullying, etc.)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dessel posted:

Is it weird for me wanting Adachi to have a redeeming quality of any sort? Well, I suppose you can entertain the idea that he felt left out/rejected everywhere and went completely off the hinges thanks to that. Sort of the guy who's supposed to be bullied, I suppose? Except most of it is inside his head. His entire persona makes me think of school shootings - except at least *some* of those culprits have better motives than Adachi does (extreme bullying, etc.)

You could say that Adachi's reaction when the police comes across the first dead body is genuine, but he gets bolder and less empathetic as the days go by and he realizes he isn't going to get caught. Izanami having her influence in him since he arrived in Inaba probably played a not insignificant role in driving most of that change too, since Adachi after the Ameno-sagiri fight is resigned and confesses to all the murders.

Of course, Arena Ultimax looks like it might be throwing a wrench into all that, so. V:shobon:V

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Dessel posted:

Adachi is basically Elliot Rodger but not rich, so i'm cool with him just being a huge rear end in a top hat

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Dessel posted:

I don't think we're supposed to feel that his background justifies his actions, but rather that we are meant to understand his motivations. I think the last few episodes have been interesting because they don't redeem him so much as give depth to his actions beyond "he's just evil suddenly". Having him reject and fear social interaction with others, and then form a bond with Dojima filling an emotional hole he didn't know was there, makes him feel more human. Of course his jealousy and feelings of rejection are entirely irrational, but at least there's some kind of emotional profile being constructed.

I don't hate Marie as much as most people seem to, but I can definitely see how her design tries way too hard and that Atlus is pushing her a bit much. Honestly her lovely poetry is kinda funny, and if they gave her more normal shoes and cut down on the striped tights, her design wouldn't clash so much with everyone else. She has potential to be a decent character, but these results ain't it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just loved how this episode had a ton of random rear end cuts to Marie for seemingly no reason than to remind the viewer she exists.

Like, if I didn't already know P4's plot, if you showed me this episode and told me Adachi was Yu's love interest I would have believed you.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
With respect to Golden content, I don't think those cuts are there for no reason. I can see it being weird if you aren't familiar, though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Future episode/Golden spoilers (at this point who cares?)

Marie's content is explained in more detail at the end, they just want to set it up better since she has been integrated into the story.

In the gameyou dont't realize she's gone until New Year's Day when you go to say Happy New Year and she's not there. Yu then has visions of her periodically until she is found by Margaret. The figure talking to her at the end should be a dead giveaway about her if you've seen the first anime or played P4.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was more talking about the literal 1 second cuts to Marie during the fight.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I mean, I guess you could say that they would've worked better by just putting it altogether at the end, but they're still relevant to her plot.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Weird, season 1's OP2 is being reused. And that was very Watamote-esque.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This episode was great for making Naoto out to be a crazy person.

Also there was some insanely phoned-in animation. I thought A1 was supposed to be a good studio.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't understand how it's so hard to get the same animation team that made the Persona 4 cutscenes, or even the guys that made the Persona 3 movie. I'm not talking about animation frames, I just mean the models.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Tae posted:

I don't understand how it's so hard to get the same animation team that made the Persona 4 cutscenes, or even the guys that made the Persona 3 movie. I'm not talking about animation frames, I just mean the models.

A-1 worked on the P4 cutscenes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just like with the first one, when they go off the rails to make their own story, it's brilliant. This probably makes 9 the ski trip and 10 a long drawn out marie fest, 11 will be valentines day and 12 will be some kind of expanded epilogue.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

A-1 doesn't employ animators, they entirely use freelancers. They're making a million shows right now and there's only so many good people in the industry.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

straight jerkers posted:

A-1 worked on the P4 cutscenes.

Did Madhouse do the new cutscenes for Golden, or did they only do the opening?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This was a good episode. As soon as I realized what was going to happen with micromanaging the girls, I couldn't stop laughing.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Szmitten posted:

Weird, season 1's OP2 is being reused.

It's because everyone forgot about Marie. Though they did add "Golden" to the old title animation.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Of course Chie would have a Christmas Kung-fu movie. :allears:

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

PunkBoy posted:

Of course Chie would have a Christmas Kung-fu movie. :allears:

I would totally watch that movie.

I'm a little disappointed they didn't show the more immediate fallout of Yu having 5 girls in his house at the same time (i.e. after they all got back up).

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
This is the episode that made slogging through this show a bit more worthwhile. Naoto had me in loving stitches with her detective poo poo.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm only a couple minutes in and I already love this episode way more than anything else so far.

Suggested P4G viewing order: 1 > 6-8. 7 even has a nifty recap so you don't have to watch 2-5!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally got around to watching eps 8 (and now 9 since it just came out), and all I could do during the Christmas episode was mutter "Yuu, you're such a dick." over and over in my head. For a guy with maxed out stats, he certainly isn't the most insightful person. Batshit crazy Naoto was definitely refreshing, though.

As for ep 9, it was pretty good. I'm glad they found a way to weave that recording Marie made 5 episodes ago into the revelation. You could tell that they spent half the budget on that close up shot of her face near the end of the episode. :v:

I'm going to enjoy the next episode just because if nothing else, the Hollow Forest had the best music in the game

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Just got around to watching the first episode of this and I gotta say I'm amused by Yuu's new game+ smug-rear end reactions and demeanor. It would be annoying with any other protagonist, but how he's acting is exactly how the player in new game+ is feeling. All, "gently caress yeah let's own the poo poo out of all these social links and blow everything to smithereens!"

I'm a bit confused by how much foreknowledge we're supposed to suppose he has though. The gas station scene could be him just playing coy, but when he waited for the TV hour the first time he seemed to be expecting it to work, then is surprised when it does. Later on, when he called out Izanagi, he definitely seemed to expect it and realize that he's an overpowered whore. Mixed signals. What's the deal?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's literally just NG+. He has max stats and god mode persona. He is still playing through the game like normal.

Also do yourself a favor and skip to episode 6.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

It's literally just NG+. He has max stats and god mode persona. He is still playing through the game like normal.

Also do yourself a favor and skip to episode 6.

Episode 2 is pretty fun. It reminded me a lot of the summer episodes from the first anime. But yeah, they changed all the group events to focus on Marie which kinda killed 3, 4, and 5.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Eh. I liked 2. And the beach episode was funny cuz Kanji was being particularly flamboyant. Granted Marie always showing up and being a loving brat isn't the best, but the other characters somewhat make up for it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I didn't mind the first few episodes either, there was some pretty good moments in them.
Of course it's going to have a ton of stuff about Marie, she's an entirely new character and if it didn't we may as well have just been watching the original Purse Owner anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well it's more that 6 has a flashback sequence that basically grabs the best parts of 2-5, so you don't really need to bother with watching them.

And including Marie in all the group events is honestly way better than how the original Golden handled it.

• Locked thread