Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Welcome. I'm Trav and this is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, or moff for short. There will probably definitely be Lords of Shadow 1 spoilers here. It is a direct sequel after all.

This is the latest 2D Castlevania game, for better or worse. There's a castle to explore and items to collect. Because there are multiple playable characters, the castle is split in a way that makes it feel like 3 smaller castles as opposed to one big one.

There's only one main weapon in the game, the Combat Cross. More on that in the videos.

Mirror of Fate was originally released for the 3DS. It saw a re-release on 360, PS3 and PC. We'll be taking a look at the PC version. I'll be upfront with you. I'm not a huge fan of this game. That said, I'll do my best not to make that the focus of these videos. If you do like this game, please post in the thread and let me know what you like about it. Maybe you'll change my opinion.

My current plan is to post a video a week. Slowly but surely, MoF will be done.

Gabriel "Dracul" Belmont: Gabe is the original Belmont in the Lords of Shadow series. He's known for being kind of quiet and wearing hoodie armor. He might eventually become a vampire. His main weapon is the Combat Cross.

Simon "Dammit" Belmont: Simon is Gabe's grandson from 57 years in the future. He's on a mission to avenge his parents and nothing can stand in his way. He's also very loud. His main weapon is the whip "Beast Hunter". for now

???: This poor guy is missing a chunk of his face. He might also be mute. I'm just going to call him Moff.

(playlist)

More Castlevania

I posted a few challenge LPs of Order of Ecclesia in the LP challenge thread. Check them out if you can't wait for more Castlevania.

Castlevania Order of Ecclesia Level 1 Hard 128/50 Challenge - Shanoa Mode
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia Level 1 Hard 128/50 Challenge - Albus Mode

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Well, this ought to be a thing. It's kind of a weird hybrid of classic and metroidvania. I'm not too big on the entire Lords of Shadow series, but this looks like a decent ride.

Snodgrass Supreme
Nov 6, 2012
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate is a pretty good game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, the subtitles are multiplying. Loved your OoE videos, will watch this with interest.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I wasn't really sure if I loved or hated this game. But then Lords of Shadow 2 came out and I decided I loved the whole trilogy.

I only played through this once. I'm curious to see how much I remember, as I already forgot about Simon :munch:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It just hit me that Simon Belmont wearing pants is a gross violation of Castlevania canon.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That's not the only thing that breaks from tradition, believe it or not.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm pretty sure they explain who the ghost guy is, but it's sort of handwaved away and lame.

Also a funny thing to note, the 3DS version didn't have lip-syncing. So for all the cutscenes they just sort of vaguely gesture at people with their mouth open and it's super awkward.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Update time.

It's time for the first exciting boss fight.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
This video shows another slight change from the 3DS version: the boss in that version had a subtitled intro line saying "Who dares enter my castle?", which was removed in this one, mostly because, well, it's not his castle, and he doesn't actually say anything during the subtitled line.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta say I love the look of the boss. Medieval plague doctor masks creep the hell out of me, finally someone capitalized on that. The fact he's bringing rats around is a nice touch of irony.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

AnotherGamer posted:

This video shows another slight change from the 3DS version: the boss in that version had a subtitled intro line saying "Who dares enter my castle?", which was removed in this one, mostly because, well, it's not his castle, and he doesn't actually say anything during the subtitled line.

Maybe the first boss was Dracula after all...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

:ghost: Warning: This episode is spooky. :ghost:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, this episode had a few horror elements, unusual for a castlevania game.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I remember getting the demo for this game. I hated it! Glad to see you suffering for my amusement!

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Which demo was it? I tried the 3DS demo for it initially and basically hated all of it since it dumped you in middle of a bunch of endgame enemies with a character whose moveset you had no frame of reference on how it use. That, plus the framerate was pretty goddamned horrible. The HD version demo was more tolerable since it actually started somewhere that didn't require to use everything you have available from the word "go!".

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah, I was really surprised when I actually played the game that the demo that I played (on 3DS) was set in the final chapter of the game. Kind of a weird decision.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I wanted to like Lords of Shadow - I've forced myself through about a half or 2/3rd of it - but it's not what I want from a Castlevania game. I'm bad at fighting games. :(

Watching this Let's Play, I'm realizing all over again that while I would want to enjoy Mirror of Fate, I probably would have the same issues I do with Lords of Shadow.

Thanks for playing this for me!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah, I was really surprised when I actually played the game that the demo that I played (on 3DS) was set in the final chapter of the game. Kind of a weird decision.

It's even funnier because the demo runs at a framerate worse than the actual 3DS game. Not that the retail version runs like butter or anything. All of the Lords of Shadow demos are kind of crap.

Also sweeping attacks knock projectiles out of the air, so getting rid of skeletons is pretty stupidly easy since they just spam axes all day.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Well I've got nothing better to do during this 17 hour flight delay, so here's some more Mirror of Fate!

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Looks like our silent friend doesn't want that little thing broken. That was almost the closest it came to speaking.

Also, that guy is only one of Death's minions.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 5, 2014

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I still don't understand why the stupid creature does what it does in this game. Especially after something one of the Belmonts does to it later in the game.

The boss in the last video is apparently just a random necromancer servant of Patrick Stewart. He's definitely a much better boss than the thing another necromancer summons at the end of Lords of Shadow 1. One compliment I can give this game is that it doesn't try and fail horribly to have Shadow of the Colossus bosses.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the third boss monster, which to me looks suspiciously like the vagina of a black women, if her vagina happened to be a roast beef sandwich from Phillipe's.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Notorious BIGOT posted:

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the third boss monster, which to me looks suspiciously like the vagina of a black women, if her vagina happened to be a roast beef sandwich from Phillipe's.

Could have gone my whole life without seeing that sentence.

Good LP so far. This game looks resoundingly mediocre. Not truly terrible, but not exactly inspired either. I think my biggest issue with it is the lack of enemy types. I love games with all sorts of unique and silly enemies, but so far this game really hasn't delivered on that.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

I still don't understand why the stupid creature does what it does in this game.

It's Fate. Shuffling people along is just kind of what it does.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
He really does throw that axe like it's a pub dart.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

StoryTime posted:

He really does throw that axe like it's a pub dart.

I can't get enough of the axe. I'm sad that it will be going away soon.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The next video should finish up Simon's story.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Good thing that mysterious stranger is also carrying a whip so that instead of an exciting new combat style you can still have whatever this is.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
3 of those heads on the carousel belong to old CV bosses: Medusa from the original CV1 and Lament, Behemoth from Rondo and Portrait and Maneater (the skull thing) from Aria and Dawn. Don't really recognize the winged head though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Good thing that mysterious stranger is also carrying a whip so that instead of an exciting new combat style you can still have whatever this is.

Every single combat cross is a sacred weapon and I will have no words against them. gently caress the combat cross. why are there so many of them?

AnotherGamer posted:

3 of those heads on the carousel belong to old CV bosses: Medusa from the original CV1 and Lament, Behemoth from Rondo and Portrait and Maneater (the skull thing) from Aria and Dawn. Don't really recognize the winged head though.

Could it be this thing from Portrait of Ruin?

Edit: It might also be an upcoming boss that I forgot about until now.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 14, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Okay fine, I'll be the one to say it.

Why does medieval Dracula have a giant mechanized merry--go-round of death ion his castle? He's always had a flair for the dramatic, what with his gear clock towers and such, but this is a little much isn't it?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Why does medieval Dracula have a giant mechanized merry--go-round of death ion his castle? He's always had a flair for the dramatic, what with his gear clock towers and such, but this is a little much isn't it?

It's Dracula, why wouldn't he have an evil merry-go-round of death? I bet he even rides it some times!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Because of a character that's vaguely hinted at in this game and only really appears in Lords of Shadow 2.

Mind you he's the best fight in that game, but still.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Have you seen how massive Gabeula's legs are? He's gotta get his exercise done somehow. That thing is a glorified treadmill.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This boss is really something. Unfortunately this is the last Simon video. Sorry for the delay, I've been moving the last few weeks.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 28, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I'm having genuine difficulty deciding what the dumbest part of this episode was. Between the Fleamen being the constructors of the castle, the incredibly obviously evil succubus harem, the cutscene framing Dracula in shadow despite us getting a pretty good look at him after the succubus died, or Alucard's coffin, I just genuinely cannot choose.

Goddammit, reboot Castlevania if you have to, but at least give it the respect and effort it deserves.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's the coffin. Definitely the coffin. The first time I saw it I could not stop laughing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That coffin is perfect. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So... wait. In the reboot, Gabe is Dracula, that means Alucard is whatshisface Simon's father, whom Simon believes dead and is dead set to avenge, but doesn't recognize the what, three times they met so far? The whole thing is just a family spat between the braincell-deficient?

• Locked thread