Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

https://www.uofreedom.com

Contents:
  • 1: What is Ultima Online?
  • 2: Why am I reading this?
  • 3: General FAQ
  • 4: Server-specific stuff
  • 5: PvP
  • 6: PvE
  • 7: Rough stones/Runecrafting
  • 8: Goon presence

What is Ultima Online?
You probably know the answer to this - for some of us, UO was the first MMO; the beginning of a long romance with online multiplayer gaming that has diluted our social lives, destroyed our real-world relationships and stolen countless productive, waking hours that we will never ever get back. For others it's a dumb 2d spell magic lightning bolt lightning bolt game thing. Either way, it's still a lot of fun.

Why am I reading this?
You're probably nostalgic; considering picking back up an old friend whom you put down years ago for flashier MMOs; perhaps tired of the FOTM sandbox you now log in to and sit aimlessly at the bank, or in the town center, waiting for something to happen.

Perhaps you've heard of UO only in Barren's chat; perhaps uttered by a baited idiot responding to claims that, no, in fact, Everquest was the first MMO. Perhaps you long for the days of para traps, insta-hit, Buc's Den, the grey screen of death.

Whatever it is, stop it. UO:Freedom is not T2A or UO:R. It is not IPY, IPY2, IPY54, An Corp 9, UO Forever or any of the other incarnations. It's a mash-up of everything UO is and has been rolled into a clone server with a ton of customs. Also the entire server is about to experience a shakeup with a new administrator/owner at the helm.

General FAQ
Why are you writing this thing
I still enjoy the game immensely, and have a lot of faith in the new team that has taken over the day-to-day of the server. Also they are producing new content pretty quickly, which is going to be a lot of fun to engage. Also I'm lonely.

So how do I get started?
http://www.uofreedom.com/play/
Click link, install UO, patch to full, use UO Steam or Razor to connect. UO Steam still works fine but they discontinued the project, so download from https://mega.co.nz/#!1IMz2IaS!_Z_l20kRd7UXcSj4RQ3N9Do-7gJGZDLQwCW_AsSKTss. Account generation is automatic, with 4 accounts allowed per IP. After logging in, send me a message in-game and I'll get you gear - type [chat and find me.

What's the player base like?
Currently, anywhere from 30 to 70 unique clients logged in at any time. Similar crowd to other servers I've been on - culturally diverse, healthy mix of powergaming shitheads and casual adults. Most active players have been around a while.

What's the general game play like?
In a word, fast and varied. The economy is rough stone and item based with gold having not as much value as other iterations of the game (but this is increasing with proper gold sinks and reduced inflation)

Can I Role Play?
Sure, nerd.

Server Specific Stuff
Stat Cap
  • 150 hard cap on dex, strength and int
  • 150 hard cap on hit points, no cap on stamina and mana
  • 45% HCI/DCI/Reflect, 100% LRC, 40% LMC, 18 Mana Regen, 18 HP Regen, 24 Stam Regen
  • 2/6 Faster Casting/Recovery

Spells and Stuff
All content through Mondain's Legacy is active, including Spellweaving, Chivalry, Necromancy, Ninjitsu, Bushido, the entire open world, and since this is a no skill-cap server, all of the coinciding skills/spells to go with it. This gives you a wide array of fighting options and styles to choose from, and creates an almost bloated amount of stuff you may utilize.

Server Customs and Quality of Life Features
  • Artifact system - possibility of getting an 'artifact' level item upon killing a mob, based on its difficulty, with random stats and bonuses.
  • Relic system - higher-end artifacts from specific mobs - the gauntlet, overlords, level 5 and 6 trasure maps, etc
  • Champ spawns are active, with private champs available for gold
  • Gold ledgers - automatically loots gold for you
  • [grab system, which helps automatically loot stuff into a loot bag
  • Item insurance works
  • Custom hue center - dye whatever you want, for a price
  • Rough stones - add properties to your gear, at the risk of breaking it. Rough stones are found by mining a la other gems, and can be crafted into property-specific runes which have a chance on application to add a range of that property to the item or completely destroy it.
  • Automated PvP events - capture the flag, area control, etc
  • Working auction system and vendor board for ease of sale and travel
  • Trash collection system - think UO:R Clean Up Britannia - rewards for trashing your trash instead of hoarding it
  • Vote Rewards
  • Battlegrounds with leaderboards
  • Town House system, allowing you to buy houses in town for a (huge) fee
  • Global chat features for general, PvP, PvM and trade
  • Rune books work, rune gate libraries also work
  • Gold rewards - everything from OK armor to rare house deco is available for a fair to huge amount of gold
  • a bunch more I'm tired of typing so just log in ok
PvP
Here's a fun and recent video of some guys trying to kill another guy with a bugged weapon, making him seemingly invulnerable (has been fixed) but at least demonstrates the speed at which PvP takes place. Hope you know how to keybind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnR_i2Jt_go

Factions are active, and there are 2 main guilds at war with each other.

PvE
Generally, it's better than any free-shard I've been on. Also, due to rough stones, inflating damage and spell damage increase as a stat produces hilarious results - as does applying rough stones to weapons:

Publish 37 should be out this week which should make having this much SDI actually useful; for now it's just a hilariously overpowered way to clear 95% of in-game content.

Rough Stones/Runecrafting
I mentioned this above, but the rough stone and runecrafting systemis somewhat unique to Freedom, and allows you to fully customize your gear - if you can stomach destroying hundreds of thousands of elite pieces in the process. You run the risk, upon each application of a rune (created by a rough stone and other reagents) to destroy the item it is being applied to. What this means, is that you may start with hundreds of like-items and thousands of rough stones just to craft that one item with a 100% property, or 100 stamina, etc. It is wholly frustrating and costly (as rough stones themselves drive a large portion of the economy, so sinking 2000 of them into one item only to destroy it is quite a waste) but in the end you may get a suit like the one above.

Since you can have 4 active accounts per IP, many people utilize Easy UO to run 3 auto-mining characters while playing on their 4th. See my thread on the forums for setting up miners, if this interests you: http://www.uofreedom.com/community/index.php/topic,1113.0.html

Goon Presence

I think I'm the only one. Log in and send a message to Skylined and I will invite you to my dumb guild and give you free things.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Sheesh is this even UO? What in the christ. I thought UOF was borderline and I am playing there but this is crazy.

• Locked thread