Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digitsu
Aug 1, 2013
"Go google Zeitgeist and 'resource based economy'."

:smug:
Yes, I can't take a hint!!

The mods here are ban happy and banned me because I took a vacation and didn't check the forums in a week. I suppose the mods live in a world (or you readers live in a world) which demand instant gratification so a week off the forums is enough to get you labelled a gimmick.

Fair enough, maybe this cesspool sees the like of too many post and runners to even give anybody the benefit of the doubt anymore. Oh well, water under the bridge.

To the answer-o-tron!

---
skunkape.info writes
How much time do you spend troubleshooting powerpoint, relative to a main street computer janitor? Also, does anybody other than you call it "the street?"

None. I'm a code monkey, not a PPT monkey. We call the PPT monkeys "business analysts" which means overpaid talk-a-lot-know-nothing people.
And yes, we all call it the street. The fact that you don't tells me you don't work there yourself and are a Frank Herbert fan.

---
Carborundum writes:
Do you program computers to buy/sell stock according to some Black-Scholes type kind of quantitative algorithm? Do traders actually understand or give a gently caress about mathematical finance?

Yes they do. And big companies like ours enjoy taking their money. Most traders do not care about the nitty gritty math. There are exceptions, namely options traders and interest rate traders are more mathematically savvy than most. Equity one-delta traders (that's fancy talk for linear products, which is fancy for non-derivatives) are the most eerrrr.... non-technical. (think high school jock that gave you wedgies)

---
Geriatric Pirate writes:
What does "tech" mean? Tech support i.e. computer janitors who fix powerpoint? Or platform development type stuff? Or the guys who devise algorithms?

I do platform development. I have friends who do the algos. Tech support... we call 'IT' and what is the obsession with powerpoint? Are you silicon valley sales people high on your own importance? I don't know of any self respecting programmer who uses Powerpoint more than 2 times in a whole year. You must be talking about the business analysts...see above.

---
Crazy Achmed writes:
Didn't you post a thread recently saying you'd been living in Japan for the last ten years?

Yes, I did. How observant of you. So while I will give you kudos for choosing handlename of one of my favourite racist comedy acts of the decade, I will have to deduct all the points back for being too near sighted to see that the two (Japan and Wall Street firm) are not mutually exclusive. (Hint: If I worked in a Toyota factory in Texas, I would still be considered working for a Japanese car manufacturer.)

---
the writes: (okay what a stupid name...kudo points)
How many swirlies a day do you get from the traders?

More than yo momma. But seriously now, if you are trying to be funny, at least get the joke right. It would be ME giving traders the swirlies.

---
EagerSleeper writes:
Yup. The question of what his favorite body pillow waifu was came up, and he froze on the spot.

Only manga geeks in US who only wished they lived in Japan use romanized words which aren't even Japanese to sound cool. Get it right. The term is ningyoonna.

---
Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

What's a better job: Prop trader at a bulge bracket, or trader at a Hedge Fund?

Trader at hedge fund. Ever since 2008, it isn't cool to work on wallstreet anymore. Why else would I be hanging out here?

---
Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

Do people really use Fibonacci analysis?

Technical analysis is for Equities traders. And you know why it works? Because retail people like you who buy stocks use technical analysis. Get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I wish you hadn't come back with this gimmick.

Digitsu
Aug 1, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

I wish you hadn't come back with this gimmick.

Please phrase that in the form of a question.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You're mentally ill.

Thank you for your time.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
How many waifus do you have?

How many hours a week do you spend at the Hub?

What's your favourite part of Akihabara?

Can you name a place outside the Yamanote Line that's a nice place to hang out? Or if that's too difficult, can you name any place apart from Roppongi?

How many microaggressions do you suffer per day from racists?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

日本語は上手ですね

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I once worked for a German owned company, but as I was based on the other side of the world and in a branch with a reasonable level of independence as it's own business, staffed almost exclusively by locals, I would not consider myself an expert on working for Germans.

So if you weren't working on wall street, can you tell me if you actually lived in Japan the country, or if your physical presence was in Kentucky and you were renting a trailer from a guy who had visited Japan once?

I didn't know my handle was shared with your favourite racist comedian. Who is your second favourite racist comedian? Why do you think racism is funny?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 11, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The mods are hardly 'ban happy'. They just don't want lovely threads clogging up our awesome comedy forum.

Digitsu
Aug 1, 2013

Weatherman posted:

How many waifus do you have?

How many hours a week do you spend at the Hub?

What's your favourite part of Akihabara?

Can you name a place outside the Yamanote Line that's a nice place to hang out? Or if that's too difficult, can you name any place apart from Roppongi?

How many microaggressions do you suffer per day from racists?

Only 1 legal one. :)

Almost zero, I only go there when I happen to be meeting a friend who is an english teacher or something, which isn't that often. The beers are cheap, but then again, so is the clientele

The B-pump climbing gym. Oh and Messesanno import games store. Though haven't gone there since my last binge on US games which was Rockband.

Nakameguro. Very cool bars on the river which is right beside the station (google maps should make it obvious). I assume you meant hangout with foriegners that isn't roppongi, then Shibuya up behind the MontBell store, in the 'recording' district. Lots of outdoor cafe's and izakayas with balconies, etc, make you feel like you are in New Orleans (at least what I see of it in pictures) -- being north of the station, it is 'technically' outside yamanote.

None, being asian, I blend in as long as I keep my mouth shut. But I do see some incidents of this, but it seems to be far and few between. From the white friends I know, I don't hear of any incidents from them. Generally you will just get the unfriendly stare. In Osaka though, totally different story. There are girl bars and clubs where you get in FREE if you are white. You have to pay if you are local. And the girls are much more, uh, open to foriegners. If that is your scene, Osaka is the place for you.

Digitsu
Aug 1, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

I once worked for a German owned company, but as I was based on the other side of the world and in a branch with a reasonable level of independence as it's own business, staffed almost exclusively by locals, I would not consider myself an expert on working for Germans.

So if you weren't working on wall street, can you tell me if you actually lived in Japan the country, or if your physical presence was in Kentucky and you were renting a trailer from a guy who had visited Japan once?

I didn't know my handle was shared with your favourite racist comedian. Who is your second favourite racist comedian? Why do you think racism is funny?

yeah, but 'German company' isn't a common phrase used to describe an industry. 'Wall Street' is.

Racism isn't funny.

But this is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOXCAKL9ESc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
OP why are you a human being?

edit: I guess we scared him off with our deluge of questions no one could possibly answer in a timely manner.

Better start another Ask thread like a retarded superhero. Go go go! :downsbravo:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 14, 2014

• Locked thread