Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JRay88 posted:

Fuuuuuuuck the hard drive in my dvr died and I lost Wednesdays episode. Anybody know a website I can watch it on so I'm not behind next week?

They sometimes air repeats over the weekend, I believe this week's episode will be on again tomorrow night at 11/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

JRay88 posted:

Fuuuuuuuck the hard drive in my dvr died and I lost Wednesdays episode. Anybody know a website I can watch it on so I'm not behind next week?

On Demand?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

JRay88 posted:

Is it not OnDemand?

EFB

The Dark Souls of Posters fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 27, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Once again the writers stab Louis in the heart.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

JRay88 posted:

If On-Demand's no-go, you can pony up $2 on Amazon.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants posted:

Once again the writers stab Louis in the heart.

Yeah, I really don't get the writer's fascination with making GBS threads over Louis.

They could've just as easily given Louis more screentime by actually having him be competent at his job like they constantly say he is instead of bringing Hunky McLawyer to humiliate him for no reason other than to gently caress with Jessica.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Poor Louis

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They've caricaturized Louis a bit, turning him into an object of pity and comic relief.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming episode "Litt the Hell Up".

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

They've caricaturized Louis a bit, turning him into an object of pity and comic relief.

There's comic relief and then there's just outright soul crushing.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This was really the first time Louis went into ragemode and not pouty angry/angsty angry. I really liked it - you can tell this poo poo is building up to something.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

vyst posted:

This was really the first time Louis went into ragemode and not pouty angry/angsty angry. I really liked it - you can tell this poo poo is building up to something.

He got really angry at Harvey for making him make Donna cry and they yelled at each other in the bathroom.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Personally I never sympathized with Louis in the first place so bad things happening to him are fine by me :colbert:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chasiubao posted:

Personally I never sympathized with Louis in the first place so bad things happening to him are fine by me :colbert:

You are a hateful person!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I like that Harvey has steadily become a worse person as the show's gone on. At the start he's beating people mostly straight up, now everyone's point is that he'd be doing sleazier things than his existing sleazy things if he wasn't up against Mike.

I'm starting to think that Mike got out just in time, and I'm looking forward to his basically inevitable victory over Harvey. Although, if he lost, got fired, and had to come work for Harvey again that'd be pretty rad too.

Seriously though Mike, if you're offered $70 million in pure profit to walk away from a deal, how do you not take that? And in what world is that kind of deal for a few weeks work a "double" and not a "home run"?

An investment banking firm where they know they can get poo poo loads more money if they win.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Holyshoot posted:

An investment banking firm where they know they can get poo poo loads more money if they win.
I wonder how many screw ups from Mike we missed in between seasons because his relationship with his new boss went sour pretty fast.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Investment banking 101 - greed is good.

Source: US Economy

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Holyshoot posted:

Well, actually the show portrayed it like Mike was stupid/"a good guy" refusing the money to walk away. How the money would be valued in "the real world" depends on the size of the investment fund he works for, how much time he spend on the deal and how much capital he used but evaluating this deal by real world standards is stupid in my opinion because the show-investment "cases" are even more absurd than the law cases.

But the most absurd thing about the last episode for me was that Mike's "secret" still hangs over his head as something that will endanger him. I believed that his whole reasoning for changing trades from lawyer to investment banker last season was that his past would be no big deal and he therefore can take on a more prominent role. It's not like "mean guy who banged Rachel" is the only rival he will ever face that might get the idea to send a PI.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, actually the show portrayed it like Mike was stupid/"a good guy" refusing the money to walk away. How the money would be valued in "the real world" depends on the size of the investment fund he works for, how much time he spend on the deal and how much capital he used but evaluating this deal by real world standards is stupid in my opinion because the show-investment "cases" are even more absurd than the law cases.

But the most absurd thing about the last episode for me was that Mike's "secret" still hangs over his head as something that will endanger him. I believed that his whole reasoning for changing trades from lawyer to investment banker last season was that his past would be no big deal and he therefore can take on a more prominent role. It's not like "mean guy who banged Rachel" is the only rival he will ever face that might get the idea to send a PI.

Additionally, Harvey wouldn't want Mike's secret to be revealed because it would be worse for Pearson Spector at this point.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't matter what Mike does at this point he'll probably still get fired.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Meanwhile Mike's superpower is completely forgotten as usual

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ravel posted:

Meanwhile Mike's superpower is completely forgotten as usual

The power of Nice Guy?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

PaganGoatPants posted:

The power of Nice Guy?

His literal perfect visual recall. He's the guy from limitless basically but without the pills and he never finds a way to use it to his advantage. Apart from once when he dropped Cameron Dennis' papers and quickly read them as he was picking them up.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ravel posted:

His literal perfect visual recall. He's the guy from limitless basically but without the pills and he never finds a way to use it to his advantage. Apart from once when he dropped Cameron Dennis' papers and quickly read them as he was picking them up.

He used his ability last episode when he went to that brussels sprouts place where Harvey goes to blackmail bankers. Sure it's far less impressive but my guess is that the writers meant it to be Mike's "power".

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

GaussianCopula posted:

He used his ability last episode when he went to that brussels sprouts place where Harvey goes to blackmail bankers. Sure it's far less impressive but my guess is that the writers meant it to be Mike's "power".

Yeah but anyone who's not an amnesiac might remember that kind of thing.

Imagine a situation where there's a foreign witness in a court case. Mike can literally come back the next day fluent and not need a translator. Imagine the opposition side has an expert in some field, Mike just needs to get a university reading list for that subject and within a week he's also an expert.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ravel posted:

Yeah but anyone who's not an amnesiac might remember that kind of thing.

Imagine a situation where there's a foreign witness in a court case. Mike can literally come back the next day fluent and not need a translator. Imagine the opposition side has an expert in some field, Mike just needs to get a university reading list for that subject and within a week he's also an expert.

Whoa whoa whoa. Having perfect recall doesn't give you the powers of Babel, dude. Like, you're REALLY not understanding his 'superpower' here. It works in the law field because all that is is groups of people trying to one up each other based on poo poo that happened in the past - "precedent".

It wouldn't work all that well in other places. You're not going to learn to speak and understand a loving language even remotely fluently because you can remember vocabulary. Like everything, it just takes time. Just because you can remember the pictures in a book doesn't mean you're an expert in the book's field.

You're very confused.

He was doing well in the law and SAT tests because those are pretty straight recall based and rote.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 1, 2014

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Drifter posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Having perfect recall doesn't give you the powers of Babel, dude. Like, you're REALLY not understanding his 'superpower' here. It works in the law field because all that is is groups of people trying to one up each other based on poo poo that happened in the past - "precedent".

I thought Mike's superpower is that he immediately memorizes, retains forever, and magically integrates information. "Integrate" means some kind of West/Lexis/Nexis/whatever style indexing such as that at the heart of legal research and just about everything not requiring muscle memory.

So, given that Mike can integrate all knowledge, it follows that he should be able to readily integrate vocabulary, grammar, slang, and cultural references. Maybe he can't speak and listen in any language after a few minutes, but he should be able to read and write it. Fluency should follow within a few days, perhaps after scanning some Chomsky.

Now - returning to the show, Harvey can only win by coming up with a whole new set of tactics. Kind of like Commander Riker after the Battle of Wolf 359. I predict that Harvey will trigger Mike's martyrdom subroutines and then watch the explosion from a safe distance.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Drifter posted:

It wouldn't work all that well in other places. You're not going to learn to speak and understand a loving language even remotely fluently because you can remember vocabulary. Like everything, it just takes time. Just because you can remember the pictures in a book doesn't mean you're an expert in the book's field.

You're very confused.

He was doing well in the law and SAT tests because those are pretty straight recall based and rote.

That's how it's been retconned but in season one he can read something once and never forget it. He can remember new details about things by just conjuring up the memory in his head - he remembers Louis' nephew's name from a picture hanging in the office at Harvard, he reads and memorises the notes that Cameron Dennis dropped on the floor, he gets kicked out for memorising and distributing answers to a mathematics test - not a recall based subject, he recites verbatim any line from any book he's ever read.

He could easily use his skills to become an expert in every subject that would be useful in a case, and I have no doubt it would take him a really short time to learn any language he wants as long as he had a dictionary for that language. I'm pretty sure I've heard of a guy who claimed an 'eidetic memory' who used to read dictionaries and learn languages like that. If he can read a foreign language novel, he'll probably be fluent within a few days. The same Hollywood eidetic memory that the guy from Limitless has.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Limitless was a completely different thing. And you're very very wrong.

You're wrong about what an eidetic memory entails, as well. There is only a super loose correlation between 'intelligence' and memory.

Mike could make a really good doctor, as well, perhaps, due to his ability to recall.

I don't understand when you say he got kicked out of memorizing the maths answers - not a recall subject. If he is distributing answers to questions very clearly it's a recall thing. And maybe he's good at math, or maybe he was able to remember the questions and look up the answers online before distributing the answers or a slew of any other things.

He's not magic, he's clearly not Rain Man; he just has perfect recall. It's super useful, but it doesn't make him this weird Animal Man-esque character you are pretending he is.

Perfect recall doesn't make you able to process and utilize all that information in real time any faster. At least not that he's demonstrated in the entirety of the show up until now. Maybe he can cross-reference related bit of information the same way we can remember a recipe after thinking about it for a second, but me knowing a recipe and how to use a knife (:ese: mad chopping skills) doesn't make me Gordon freaking Ramsay.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 2, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well that's clear since he was a bum until Harvey found him.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Drifter posted:

Limitless was a completely different thing. And you're very very wrong.

You're wrong about what an eidetic memory entails, as well. There is only a super loose correlation between 'intelligence' and memory.

Mike could make a really good doctor, as well, perhaps, due to his ability to recall.

I don't understand when you say he got kicked out of memorizing the maths answers - not a recall subject. If he is distributing answers to questions very clearly it's a recall thing. And maybe he's good at math, or maybe he was able to remember the questions and look up the answers online before distributing the answers or a slew of any other things.

He's not magic, he's clearly not Rain Man; he just has perfect recall. It's super useful, but it doesn't make him this weird Animal Man-esque character you are pretending he is.

Perfect recall doesn't make you able to process and utilize all that information in real time any faster. At least not that he's demonstrated in the entirety of the show up until now. Maybe he can cross-reference related bit of information the same way we can remember a recipe after thinking about it for a second, but me knowing a recipe and how to use a knife (:ese: mad chopping skills) doesn't make me Gordon freaking Ramsay.

But that's exactly what he's able to do, he can recall things instantly and he understands it. He's not just a perfect memory, he's intelligent too. Passing the bar isn't just recall anyway, he needs to be able to interpret situations in creative ways - divergent intelligence.

He could be a passable Gordon Ramsey if he watched enough YouTube videos and read enough recipe books. It really is magic, you're downplaying what someone with his abilities could actually achieve if they existed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ravel posted:

But that's exactly what he's able to do, he can recall things instantly and he understands it. He's not just a perfect memory, he's intelligent too. Passing the bar isn't just recall anyway, he needs to be able to interpret situations in creative ways - divergent intelligence.

He could be a passable Gordon Ramsey if he watched enough YouTube videos and read enough recipe books. It really is magic, you're downplaying what someone with his abilities could actually achieve if they existed.

oh my god

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Promo for the next episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWWmmWv9s-w

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mike what have you become :ohdear:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Sure, Mike, but now say it in Cantonese. :smuggo:

Haha, everyone has repeatedly betrayed everyone else's trust multiple times it's getting farcical whenever they pull the :qq:DON'T BETRAY ME!!!:qq: stuff these days.

But man, Louis just keeps getting poo poo on., :ohdear:

C'mon Suits, make him limited partner and bring him into the scheming fold with Harvey and Jessica. :unsmigghh:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Drifter posted:

Sure, Mike, but now say it in Cantonese. :smuggo:

Haha, everyone has repeatedly betrayed everyone else's trust multiple times it's getting farcical whenever they pull the :qq:DON'T BETRAY ME!!!:qq: stuff these days.

But man, Louis just keeps getting poo poo on., :ohdear:

C'mon Suits, make him limited partner and bring him into the scheming fold with Harvey and Jessica. :unsmigghh:

It's his penance for playing a character on hostile who tortures and eats people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Back this week after skipping last.

"Leveraged"
Mike initiates a hostile takeover of Gillis Industries while Harvey and Louis work feverishly against his efforts. Elsewhere Jessica and Malone meet with Sean Cahill who has the weird of the SEC behind him in bringing down the firm.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Donna :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was weirdly petty Harvey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fake Donna :allears: 'Lois'