Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Widestancer posted:

I hear a lot about Sonic Transformed on Steam being better than Mario Kart 8

This is difficult for me to believe can someone here confirm or deny it before I pull the trigger on it

I don't know if I'd say it's better, since they play a bit different and Sonic is less item focused, but Sonic is awesome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zen death robot posted:

The Taint Reaper is a special kid

Actually I'm correct because the example he gave would be incorrect. I'm not watching myself play the game, I'm watching the screen. Despite it being in first person view I'm still watching the girl even though it's from the game's first person camera.

Where as I can't watch myself unless I'm viewing myself from a camera. In which case yes I can watch myself go to the store.

I am separated from the game itself, where as his example made it be a direct action. They don't work, it's like clementines and cucumbers.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

Actually I'm correct because the example he gave would be incorrect. I'm not watching myself play the game, I'm watching the screen. Despite it being in first person view I'm still watching the girl even though it's from the game's first person camera.

Where as I can't watch myself unless I'm viewing myself from a camera. In which case yes I can watch myself go to the store.

I am separated from the game itself, where as his example made it be a direct action.

You aren't loving watching her do the poo poo, you're seeing it through her eyes and directing it. You are watching the environment, not watching her. "Watching x do y" implies you are looking at object x as it performs action y.

Here's a better example: you don't say you're watching somebody record a cat doing funny poo poo, you say you are watching a cat doing funny poo poo. Maybe you'd say you're watching a video of it, but if you used that terminology you'd say you're watching the game, not the character you're playing.

Just learn to admit when you're wrong and you'll look a lot less stupid.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

You aren't loving watching her do the poo poo, you're seeing it through her eyes and directing it. You are watching the environment, not watching her. "Watching x do y" implies you are looking at object x as it performs action y.

Here's a better example: you don't say you're watching somebody record a cat doing funny poo poo, you say you are watching a cat doing funny poo poo. Maybe you'd say you're watching a video of it, but if you used that terminology you'd say you're watching the game, not the character you're playing.

Just learn to admit when you're wrong and you'll look a lot less stupid.

Dude I am playing a videogame, I am watching the screen. I am not Faith herself. I am using a controller to make things move on the screen. I am still looking at the screen.

Watch is defined to look at something carefully, usually at something which is moving. Stuff is moving on my videogame computer, much like it would be on a TV screen.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Seriously I was ready to just let it go and move on but holy poo poo you're dumb

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Seriously I was ready to just let it go and move on but holy poo poo you're dumb

Dictionary says I'm right. You gonna argue with a book son?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

you aren't watching the object that the point of view is situated within, holy poo poo

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

you aren't watching the object that the point of view is situated within, holy poo poo

Except the object I am watching is the TV screen.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Can someone give me a new av. Thank you.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

Except the object I am watching is the TV screen.

In that case your original statement was still inaccurate. Thank you for finally admitting it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

In that case your original statement was still inaccurate. Thank you for finally admitting it.

No, I am watching what Faith is looking at.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

This discussion sucks, like this years sales

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

No, I am watching what Faith is looking at.

In that case you aren't watching her

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

In that case you aren't watching her

But if I am not watching Faith how can I see through her eyes. If faith is not there then how can I watch what she sees?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

But if I am not watching Faith how can I see through her eyes. If faith is not there then how can I watch what she sees?

You see through your own eyes and aren't watching yourself. You see what a camera sees in a video but aren't watching the camera.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
This is the Worst loving Thread now, thanks

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I ask if a game is superior to Mario Kart

I express my doubts

Taint reaper claims a game IS superior to it

thread gets hosed up immediately afterwards

makes u think

:tinfoil:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

You see through your own eyes and aren't watching yourself. You see what a camera sees in a video but aren't watching the camera.

Except the camera is part of the rig that makes up Faith, it's usually parented to one of the head bone or neck bones so it moves along when the character moves.

And I'm just having fun with the meta discussion on perspective on a game who's primary feature is that.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
It more or less is. The items aren't as bullshit as they've been in more recent Mario Karts, it's more like Diddykong Racing

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Schnedwob posted:

It more or less is. The items aren't as bullshit as they've been in more recent Mario Karts, it's more like Diddykong Racing

Diddykong was incredible so this is good news

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Also, boosting is a lot of what determines whether you win or lose. Not only are there boost things on the track, but you can do flips, drifts, and almost crash into poo poo (in plane mode) to go fast

And there's a Skies of Arcadia level. It's a good game

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

But yeah get Sonic Racing if it's on sale. It's really good even if some challenges get to be kinda bullshit.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

But yeah get Sonic Racing if it's on sale. It's really good even if some challenges get to be kinda bullshit.

I think you still can unlock everything on the lowest setting. I've heard some people just import saves or use cheat engine poo poo for single player but YMMV for that. It's still got a very active multiplayer.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

zen death robot posted:

Do you want one of your old ones?

I don't really care just something cool.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
But if you just want to do something easy then uhh the old Baby from Dinosaurs one I guess.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Lmao I'm looking at my old avs, I don't even remember these

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
what the gently caress did you idiots do to this already lovely thread?

who cares.

buy some lovely games.

the ship is a buck at bundlestars: http://www.bundlestars.com/store/the-ship-complete-pack/

it comes with TWO EXTRA COPIES there is no reason not to buy this for a dollar, holy poo poo

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 26, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think you still can unlock everything on the lowest setting. I've heard some people just import saves or use cheat engine poo poo for single player but YMMV for that. It's still got a very active multiplayer.

You can and you get better at the game and can go back and do harder modes of earlier things too, but higher difficulty poo poo in later parts of the campaign thing start requiring you to do everything pretty much perfectly.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

You can and you get better at the game and can go back and do harder modes of earlier things too, but higher difficulty poo poo in later parts of the campaign thing start requiring you to do everything pretty much perfectly.

Yeah you need to boost/powerslide every chance you get. It's like playing the earlier versions of Mario Kart where snaking was a thing.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

what the gently caress did you idiots do to this already lovely thread?

who cares.

buy some lovely games.

the ship is a buck at bundlestars: http://www.bundlestars.com/store/the-ship-complete-pack/

it comes with TWO EXTRA COPIES there is no reason not to buy this for a dollar, holy poo poo

everyone has the ship already.

buy spachechem in the sale yall, if you like puzzle games

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Is it fascism yet posted:

everyone has the ship already.

buy spachechem in the sale yall, if you like puzzle games

spacechem feels like work, but if you're a big nerd who likes to program or engineer things it's pretty great

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Whatever happened to The Incredible Machine Spiritual Successor that was being made by the guys who I think worked on the original? Did that go belly up like Day Z?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

spacechem feels like work, but if you're a big nerd who likes to program or engineer things it's pretty great

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Thank you Zen Death Robot for being an epic bro.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

it's true

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Banished is on Steam sale.

I bought the game at release. I said it here before when banished launched, its a game i didnt think was worth 20 bux but would be worth it for 10 bux. Once you discover the optimum strategy it kind of gets old. But Banished is really relaxing, and enjoyable. I think I put like 10 hours in.

Also I like the idea of supporting the creator, since one dude did literally everything. So I'm more forgiving that the end game content peters out real quick.

Another plus is it's really, really, relaxing to play. Zen like.

Last thing and I'll shut up. A significant draw of the game is that the engine/code the creator used made it really easy to mod. So the creator and the community was all like, lets go ham with mods! The creator was making a specific program thing to help customize/mod the game, that he was going to give away. So basically everyone was like, end game content will be taken care of by the community. But that never happened. And I haven't followed the game's development so IDK if it's on the way or what.

And that's JIZZ DENOUMENT's long thing about Banished the 10 dollar game on steam sale.

hth

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Banished is on Steam sale.

I bought the game at release. I said it here before when banished launched, its a game i didnt think was worth 20 bux but would be worth it for 10 bux. Once you discover the optimum strategy it kind of gets old. But Banished is really relaxing, and enjoyable. I think I put like 10 hours in.

Also I like the idea of supporting the creator, since one dude did literally everything. So I'm more forgiving that the end game content peters out real quick.

Another plus is it's really, really, relaxing to play. Zen like.

Last thing and I'll shut up. A significant draw of the game is that the engine/code the creator used made it really easy to mod. So the creator and the community was all like, lets go ham with mods! The creator was making a specific program thing to help customize/mod the game, that he was going to give away. So basically everyone was like, end game content will be taken care of by the community. But that never happened. And I haven't followed the game's development so IDK if it's on the way or what.

And that's JIZZ DENOUMENT's long thing about Banished the 10 dollar game on steam sale.

hth

Has anything been added to it since launch? I was thinking of getting it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

zen death robot posted:

i didn't see anythign i wanted to buy today, i guess that's alright though

Everything I want is stuff I've already bought at the regular price. :negative:

I did get Trine and Trine 2 for two dollars, that was nice.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

zen death robot posted:

I got Trine 2 as a consolation prize for buying a PS4 a year sooner than I should have. :ese:

I got it since all the PS4s were sold out when I was thinking about buying one. Probably for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Widestancer posted:

I hear a lot about Sonic Transformed on Steam being better than Mario Kart 8

This is difficult for me to believe can someone here confirm or deny it before I pull the trigger on it

i've been playing it since the forums went down and it's really fun. haven't tried the multiplayer yet.

some weapons will home in on you but if you time it right you can boost away from them. it works for fireworks but i dunno if it's the same for tornadoes.

• Locked thread