Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Lads, it's here. The opening game of the FIFA WORLD CUP 2014. Brazil. The nation that loves football so much they spent four years rioting outside football stadiums because they were so impatient for the world cup to start. Well riot no more, Rio et al(*edit: I am aware, as should you be, that the opening game is in Sao Paulo) the day is upon you, the world is watching, and we can't wait.

Some Brazilians asking foreigners not to go, so there's more tickets for them. Selfish, but boy are they passionate!

The teams:

The host nation, and tournament favourites. If Brazil don't win it on home soil they'll riot in the streets. Ahem. Great players such as Pele, Carlos Alberto, Fat Ronaldo, Zico, Roque Júnior, all came from here.

Oscar. Looks like a child.

David Luis, defender who looks like sideshow bob, and defends like him, also.

Hulk. They've got a player called loving Hulk. Smashing.

And of course their star man, the man the whole country expects to help them lift the trophy by scoring all the goals because he's the best player in the world:

Fred! Top lad, top English name. Wait, what? You thought, erm, Neymar was going here? gently caress that I'm not searching for pictures of that little fucker.

Croatia. They've had some top players in their relatively short history, Davor Šuker chief among those. This year, they've got a squad that includes a player from Hull loving City, so you can tell they're struggling for numbers. They're expected to lose tonight. Still, they've got:

Luka Modric. Real Madrid star and all round good lad. Could cause the hosts some problems.

Gareth Bale. I mean, Mario Mandzukic. Super Mario plays for Bayern Munich, unless he's moved already. I didn't read the transfer thread. Real goal threat from this lad.

Referee Crew [Thanks CHAOSLORD]:

Referee: Yuichi NISHIMURA (JPN)
AR1: Toru SAGARA (JPN)
AR2: Toshiyuki NAGI (JPN)
4th: Alireza FAGHANI (IRN)
RAR: Hassan KAMRANIFAR (IRN)

The last time Nishimura worked a match involving Brazil, this happened!

Which means he will be doing back to back World Cup matches for the hosts, even if they were seperated by almost 4 years. Nishimura also worked Brazil's 3-1 win over Belarus in the Olympics. He has never worked a match involving Croatia

There will be an opening ceremony, and it will feature hundreds of semi-naked women and men doing some samba moves, with feathers, maybe.

KickOff:
17:00 local
21:00 BST
15:00 EST

idk work them out if you don't know when it kicks off look at your TV schedules.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

this op is better but the other one has more posts i don't know what to do

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
top top thread, gently caress hegav

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I like Brazil, also this thread.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
This is the official match day thread. Well done friend and thanks for the temporary thread Hegav.

I feel Brazil 2-1 in this match. Should be a tasty affair.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hulk? he's incredible

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Christ, poo poo OP, no links no nothing shameful stuff but sticky is a top top lad

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Voted 5ive

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Sorry Hegav thanks for closing your awesome thread I love you all friends

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

this is a good gdt, even if its by a leeds

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

top top thread, gently caress hegav

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Steal the stuff about the refs that chaoslord posted because it was decent, imo. Always good to know we're dealing with a poo poo rear end ref

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Someone needs to make the yellow/red card smilies. I don't volunteer.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tortilla Maker posted:

Someone needs to make the yellow/red card smilies. I don't volunteer.

We already have them.

Red card - :henget:
Yellow card - :sidvicious:

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

good. good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

good thread

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Hegay posted:

Steal the stuff about the refs that chaoslord posted because it was decent, imo. Always good to know we're dealing with a poo poo rear end ref

Cool I added ref info thanks hegav and also chaoslord

someone needs to buy these:

or preferably make better versions and buy those!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Croatia will lose because they're a bit poo poo

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Croatia will lose because the host country has won the first match since the beginning of the World Cup, it is written (a few have drawn but gently caress them)

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Brazil will win this game of assocation football.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hegay posted:

Croatia will lose because the host country has won the first match since the beginning of the World Cup, it is written (a few have drawn but gently caress them)

Bit suspicious this

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

mon the croats IMO

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hegay posted:

Counterpoint: Modric is baller and Neymar is an awful little bitch that will start crying after a few crunching Eastern European tackles.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

peanut- posted:

Counterpoint: Modric is baller and Neymar is an awful little bitch that will start crying after a few crunching Eastern European tackles.

Counter-counterpoint: Hulk

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Croatia to win and Brazil to implode and destroy the entire continent of South America thus cancelling the World Cup meaning Australia are tied for second and Croatia win.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
yes, very nice thread. looks like everything is in order. football now please.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Luiz has had his hair cut and Mandzukic is suspended and there's no table voted 0

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
MOdric cut his hair too right?

He looks weird imo

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Suqit posted:

MOdric cut his hair too right?

He looks weird imo

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
A high scoring draw would do v nicely IMO

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

peanut- posted:

Croatia lost against Scotland

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Is this where we watch and comment on the opening ceremony as well? Is that ever worth watching at all actually? It's nothing like the Olympics one, is it?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

sweek0 posted:

Is this where we watch and comment on the opening ceremony as well? Is that ever worth watching at all actually? It's nothing like the Olympics one, is it?

do you like the idea of diana ross singing simply the best whilst running up and kicking a penalty kick and missing

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Neymar is gonna fire two (2) netslams into the upper 90 before being elbowed in the face by Mandzukic and crying like a little beta bitch.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

sweek0 posted:

It's a giant loving party for the World Cup in Brazil just imagine how amazing it'll be.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Dunban posted:

Neymar is gonna fire two (2) netslams into the upper 90 before being elbowed in the face by Mandzukic and crying like a little beta bitch.

will he sizzle t90?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

blue footed boobie posted:

will he sizzle t90?

He just might, OP. He just might.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Dunban posted:

He just might, OP. He just might.

pho-woar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
In 6 hours and 14 minutes the world cup will be happening loving woo.

• Locked thread