Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Suqit posted:

Why the gently caress are we talking about the USAMNT in the gdt when there's already a thread for it?

Didn't know there was a usamnt thread. Not like it matters since it is 19:30 CDT and there is no football left to be played.

Can't we all just laugh at Landon being an idiot for buying into his own legend and thinking USA has a chance to spite Klinsmann?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Dirk Pitt posted:

Didn't know there was a usamnt thread.

There is. It's here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3637691&perpage=40&pagenumber=51

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Landon Donovan staying relevant, as he sits at home watching the World Cup.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Thanks, I'll hard our national shame in that thread instead of posting in a thread others might see, and therefore laugh at.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suqit posted:

Why the gently caress are we talking about the USAMNT in the gdt when there's already a thread for it?

They played a glorious match today, were you not watching?

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This is gonna be another Korea-Japan corrupt loving WC

Refs are gonna be calling everything in favor of Brazil and will be too scared to call anything against them because they know that if they call games fairly and Brazil lose because they're a poo poo overrated team, they will probably get killed by third-world scumbags

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duro posted:

This is gonna be another Korea-Japan corrupt loving WC

Refs are gonna be calling everything in favor of Brazil and will be too scared to call anything against them because they know that if they call games fairly and Brazil lose because they're a poo poo overrated team, they will probably get killed by third-world scumbags

At the other end of the spectrum how is the Japanese Embassy in Croatia doing?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Pand posted:

Klinsmann is know as a Happy-Go-Lucky super optimist in Germany. If he tells you it's unlikely the USA is going to win the WC it's probably true.

That says a lot about Germany. They aren't the most optimistic of people, but Americans are.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
Fred seems like a cool dude, just misunderstood at this point in time.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

gfanikf posted:

At the other end of the spectrum how is the Japanese Embassy in Croatia doing?

What Japanese embassy in Croatia? All I see is what looks like freshly ploughed land. :jihad:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
okay so I dunno it looked like Lovren has his arm curled around Fred on one side as well as the shoulder on the other??? only for a second but still, you can't tie up any part of a player from behind like that i thought?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

13 year old girls posted:

okay so I dunno it looked like Lovren has his arm curled around Fred on one side as well as the shoulder on the other??? only for a second but still, you can't tie up any part of a player from behind like that i thought?

It's over, let it be.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

13 year old girls posted:

this is true, but anyone who has ever played a game of football knows that the amount of contact there was in that situation was not enough to bring him down. he felt the arm and then went to ground, it was a quality dive but a dive none the less.

it's also why I don't feel that the ref was corrupt, I've seen 'em given is the old adage. in the situation (refereeing a home game in brazil) it was always going to be given.

it was soft as hell but that's the way it goes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It's a real shame that Brazil cheated their way to a win over Croatia, instead of cheating their way to a win over Mexico, because gently caress Mexico.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Twlight posted:

It's over, let it be.

having a job makes it pretty tough to be able to post on everything the second it happens, pal

JFairfax posted:

it's also why I don't feel that the ref was corrupt, I've seen 'em given is the old adage. in the situation (refereeing a home game in brazil) it was always going to be given.

yeah I agree with this very much. not a corrupt ref, just made a tough call at a hard time

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.

AsInHowe posted:

It's a real shame that Brazil cheated their way to a win over Croatia, instead of cheating their way to a win over Mexico, because gently caress Mexico.

Brazil will cheat against us too, I wouldn't worry.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Why not just introduce video review in the YoOL 2014. But that would make it harder to make dumb/corrupt calls. It's really hard to prove/disprove a call as corrupt, and you can bet no one is investigating. The best solution would be just to add additional oversights, but we can't have proper checks and balances tainting our beautiful game.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One great thing about football is that when you complain about refs being corrupt, it's not just bitter or crazy ranting, you have a decent chance of it being right.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

gfanikf posted:

One great thing about football is that when you complain about refs being corrupt, it's not just bitter or crazy ranting, you have a decent chance of it being right.

it's mostly this though

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

AsInHowe posted:

Brazil doesn't need help to beat Mexico.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Badger of Basra posted:

it's mostly this though

Yeah, but I'll argue that besides this and Cricket there are few sports/legaues where you have a better chance of being right.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Any one have a gif of neymar shaking the refs hand as he went off?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Brazil had first-game nerves and let in an unlucky own goal, but it's not like Croatia were robbed here despite the cheap penalty.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Brazil had first-game nerves and let in an unlucky own goal, but it's not like Croatia were robbed here despite the cheap penalty.

They also had a legit goal disallowed.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Both keepers were horrible.

Also, why were there 4000 posts in this thread? You're supposed to watch the WC in a bar/on a beach/with friends/in a bar.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
That ref is Hitler reincarnated and the World Cup should be abandoned at this point because of the lack of classiness that was shown by the Brazilian player Fraud he could have never pulled that of in MLS.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.

beedeebee posted:

Both keepers were horrible.

Also, why were there 4000 posts in this thread? You're supposed to watch the WC in a bar/on a beach/with friends/in a bar.

The world cup is on at 5am for australians who the gently caress is out at 5am

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Buff Baby posted:

owned by your timezone

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

beedeebee posted:

You're supposed to watch the WC in a bar/on a beach/with friends/in a bar.

Yeah..."friends" lmao classic belgend

E: drat wrong av

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.

beedeebee posted:

owned by your timezone

Pretty soon we're gonna be owned by Chile soon so no loss

Is it bad if you bet against your own country???

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Buff Baby posted:

Pretty soon we're gonna be owned by Chile soon so no loss

Is it bad if you bet against your own country???

It's actally good, since you can't lose. If they win, you're happy, if they lose, you win money.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

gfanikf posted:

Yeah, but I'll argue that besides this and Cricket there are few sports/legaues where you have a better chance of being right.

Basketball?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

beedeebee posted:

owned by your timezone

Was on at 8am in NZ. I probably would have gone to the pub and watched it regardless but I am sick. Thank gently caress I have the World Cup to keep me occupied at home.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is everyone ready for another day of football :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrOLGifnMJk

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Can't wait to watch the officals apply that spray again!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Seltzer posted:

They also had a legit goal disallowed.

No they really didn't.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I love the spray

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Buff Baby posted:

Lion Hotel in Melbourne Central for English fans or the Copacabana (for the authentic brazilian experience) on Smith St are open for games at 5am (and at 2am). They do drinks and breakkie too.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
this poster thinks spain v netherlands will be a good match and be hella cool just like the rest of the world cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

serious gaylord posted:

I love the spray

• Locked thread