Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013
I like singing(I'm not the best singer, but it's at least in tune), and whenever I sing higher/louder notes, my voice cracks.It still sounds right tone wise, but the voice cracks. Now if I sing those songs longer, my voice will crack on lower notes too. If I continue, my voice will eventually crack on practicly anything until I rest it.
Now, Finally from my singing teacher(who learned me veeery little after all those lessons), I got some tips on how to use breathe support to not damage my voice with those higher songs. I just have to practice it..after resting my voice ofcourse, because at the moment it's extremely hosed.

Thing is, now that I think about it..Whenever I sing normally, or just..talk, my voice hurts aswell. It never really gets hoarse when talking at what I normally talk like though.
I especially noticed when I read a book aloud for thirty minutes, it made my voice hurt, and from googling that, it seems like I'm not the only one.
But most of the time, even when I don't talk loud, my voice still doesn't feel all that well. I'd like to see if I can voice act by trying sometime, but whatever I want to try is pretty loud. I'll again..rest my voice first. How do actors/voice actors not damage their voices?
How the hell do people not damage their voices by talking in general? Like, seriously, it barely feels fully comfortable when I have conversations with people.

Dylstew fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

If your throat hurts, you are either pushing yourself too hard or you have a really lovely voice teacher. Or both.

Also, this probably isn't appropriate for E/N. There's a voice thread in the Musicians Lounge.

Unjustly Labeled
Oct 11, 2012
Yeah, this is definitely a thread for musicians lounge.

All I can say is that warm ups are pretty important when you push yourself. You might also wanna check with a different vocals coach/teacher if he/she can notice you doing something strange while going all out vocally.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hot green tea with honey and lemon. Plenty of vocal rest in between trying to push yourself.

Now I'm curious as to why this was posted here in E/N, the insane persons problems forums, instead of Musicians Lounge where other vocalists post and would be more suited to answer your question than people in E/N would. If you want, I can just move this thread there for you.

Unjustly Labeled
Oct 11, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Now I'm curious as to why this was posted here in E/N, the insane persons problems forums
Maybe the voice cracking triggers traumatic flashbacks and sends him into a shivering mess who clings to the floor in horror? WE CAN'T KNOW! :colbert:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
You need to break up with your significant other OP, I am shocked you haven't before. Also, I'm consulting the E/N-8-cube and SSRIs are in your future...

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013
*edit:
This is an accidental doublepost, please remove it if that's possible.

Dylstew fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 12, 2014

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

crazyfish posted:

If your throat hurts, you are either pushing yourself too hard or you have a really lovely voice teacher. Or both.

Also, this probably isn't appropriate for E/N. There's a voice thread in the Musicians Lounge.
Yes, I think I do have an extremely lovely vocal teacher. Which is why I'm leaving after this period ends, I'm going to have to look for a new one :/,
I'm not too familiar with all boards, It totally went over my head that that existed.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hot green tea with honey and lemon. Plenty of vocal rest in between trying to push yourself.

Now I'm curious as to why this was posted here in E/N, the insane persons problems forums, instead of Musicians Lounge where other vocalists post and would be more suited to answer your question than people in E/N would. If you want, I can just move this thread there for you.
Again, I'm not too familiar with all boards, It totally went over my head that that existed.
Could you please move it over there? Thanks in advance!

Griff Lee posted:

You need to break up with your significant other OP, I am shocked you haven't before. Also, I'm consulting the E/N-8-cube and SSRIs are in your future...
What are you talking about? The joke's going right over my head. well, I don't have a significant other anyways.

edit: I don't know what happened, but somehow I accidentally double posted -_-

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Get a real job.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.
Sever.. your vocal cords.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I think you should break up with her

Chubba
May 30, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Now I'm curious as to why this was posted here in E/N, the insane persons problems forums

Be nice to us. We have so little.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You have something weird going on if having a conversation causes you pain. Do you just live in a goon den and never talk usually?

I have no idea what you mean when you say your voice cracks but your tone is the same. Can you sing something (could just be happy birthday) and post a recording? Five minutes for a demonstration won't make a difference.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 12, 2014

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

You have something weird going on if having a conversation causes you pain. Do you just live in a goon den and never talk usually?

I have no idea what you mean when you say your voice cracks but your tone is the same. Can you sing something (could just be happy birthday) and post a recording? Five minutes for a demonstration won't make a difference.

The first song is what my voice sounds like if I sing it lower. if I sing it on the songs actual, louder, higher height it starts cracking. But if I do that for too long, lower, less loud songs start to have that cracking sound aswell.

https://soundcloud.com/dylstew2/what-happens-when-a-song-is-almost-too-high-for-me

rokul
May 3, 2009
Hi. I am a speech and language pathologist. We have a job title that is misleading - we also work clinically with voice (and swallowing but I won't go into that). What you are describing could originate from any number of issues in a couple of different permutations.

It is very concerning to wonder how people can talk over a normal day without incurring strain or pain.

I would advise you consult with your GP or PCP; they should arrange for a consultation by ENT who might pass a camera down your nose to get a view of yr vocal folds. Following that you could be seen by an SLP for therapy depending on yr diagnosis.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Dylstew posted:

The first song is what my voice sounds like if I sing it lower. if I sing it on the songs actual, louder, higher height it starts cracking. But if I do that for too long, lower, less loud songs start to have that cracking sound aswell.

https://soundcloud.com/dylstew2/what-happens-when-a-song-is-almost-too-high-for-me

The answer to babysinger's first problems are always your diaphragm. Stand tall, relax your shoulders, swing your arms out a bit to let your diaphragm expand and keep your core muscles strong.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

HIJK posted:

The answer to babysinger's first problems are always your diaphragm. Stand tall, relax your shoulders, swing your arms out a bit to let your diaphragm expand and keep your core muscles strong.

yeah, that's what I'm going to practice tommorow. Something my bad singing teacher should've told me at the beginning of my lessons, not now. Well at least she finally did try to teach me something. But that won't really make the crack go away. But it's not really about the singing all that much. I understand that singing wrong will damage your voice.
But how come that when I talk normally for a while, it can also feel irritated? I'm not sure what's up with that.

Dylstew fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 12, 2014

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Dylstew posted:

But how come that when I talk normally for a while, it can also feel irritated? I'm not sure what's up with that.

I sprained my ankle by jumping out of a window. For some reason, it hurt every time I hopped for a while. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

contrapants posted:

I sprained my ankle by jumping out of a window. For some reason, it hurt every time I hopped for a while. I'm not sure what's up with that.

So you're saying that when I think the damage from my singing has healed, it hasn't healed yet, resulting in pain when talking?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Dylstew posted:

So you're saying that when I think the damage from my singing has healed, it hasn't healed yet, resulting in pain when talking?

How long are you going without singing? If you actually hurt your vocal chords, it can take a full day or two for them to fully heal.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

contrapants posted:

How long are you going without singing? If you actually hurt your vocal chords, it can take a full day or two for them to fully heal.

Usually that's what I do when I notice it starts crackling too much. But since I still talk in those days, maybe that's not enough.

To measure wether my voice is hosed or not, I usually try this short song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtV-WOCkMN0

if I can sing that song without any crack in my voice, it's probably fine, if I can only sing the song with the cracks it's definitely not doing well.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There's a chance that loving up your voice is actually good for it.

Take for example Leonard Cohen. This is what he sounded like in 1969:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwnAg2tZKFk

which is certainly good, but 44 years of drinking and smoking later, and you get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lWcqbVKhCs

which is... I mean drat thats just a badass voice

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Dylstew posted:

Your voice sounds awful, dude. Not in a "give up singing" way but it sounds like you have no breath support for the tones you are trying to make and have something nasty going on with your vocal cords. Stop singing and stop going to this awful vocal coach. Get your rear end to a real life medical doctor and have them check you out.

If you are a smoker, quit. If you have been jamming a scrubby brush down your throat for some drat reason, stop that.

You should be able to sustain normal conversation for a long time without fatigue or damage to your voice.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

CuddleChunks posted:

Your voice sounds awful, dude. Not in a "give up singing" way but it sounds like you have no breath support for the tones you are trying to make and have something nasty going on with your vocal cords. Stop singing and stop going to this awful vocal coach. Get your rear end to a real life medical doctor and have them check you out.

If you are a smoker, quit. If you have been jamming a scrubby brush down your throat for some drat reason, stop that.

You should be able to sustain normal conversation for a long time without fatigue or damage to your voice.

I never smoked or drank alcohol.
But dude, honestly, I'm singing in tune, how the gently caress am I awful at singing? I know I'm not the best but I'm singing a lot better than most people I know. Jeez. I know my vocal coach sucks. And everytime I worry about my voice being hosed up and tell my mother she doesn't take me seriously, asif there's no problem. She thinks I'm just exaggerating and worrying too much like usual :/.

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My lungs don't work. Now it's time to sing!

Dylstew posted:

Your voice sounds tight and forced, like you're really having to push to sing. Ideally, you should be breathing from your diaphragm and allowing the air to flow out of you, rather than having to force it. Since it sounded like the song you chose wasn't particularly out of your comfortable range and you weren't working to belt it out loudly, I suspect at least part of your trouble is your technique.

More worrisome, however, is the fact that apparently just having conversations during the day can hurt. That poo poo's not right, and you may want to consult a doctor about it. I can spend all day shouting over the sounds of crowds and music at a festival, and that evening my throat will only be slightly or moderately sore and require at most a day of rest. Normal conversation absolutely should not be causing you problems, unless you spent several years as a mute and are only now exercising your vocal chords.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

beckyogg posted:

Your voice sounds tight and forced, like you're really having to push to sing. Ideally, you should be breathing from your diaphragm and allowing the air to flow out of you, rather than having to force it. Since it sounded like the song you chose wasn't particularly out of your comfortable range and you weren't working to belt it out loudly, I suspect at least part of your trouble is your technique.

More worrisome, however, is the fact that apparently just having conversations during the day can hurt. That poo poo's not right, and you may want to consult a doctor about it. I can spend all day shouting over the sounds of crowds and music at a festival, and that evening my throat will only be slightly or moderately sore and require at most a day of rest. Normal conversation absolutely should not be causing you problems, unless you spent several years as a mute and are only now exercising your vocal chords.

Now you're making me extremely worried and my entire family is not going to take me seriously about this. I've been whining about how something's wrong with my voice to my mom and sister (which also like singing) for ages but eventually she just got mad at me.
*sigh*

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Why are you whining to your mother about this? Are you not an adult?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Dylstew posted:

I never smoked or drank alcohol.
But dude, honestly, I'm singing in tune, how the gently caress am I awful at singing? I know I'm not the best but I'm singing a lot better than most people I know. Jeez. I know my vocal coach sucks. And everytime I worry about my voice being hosed up and tell my mother she doesn't take me seriously, asif there's no problem. She thinks I'm just exaggerating and worrying too much like usual :/.
There is more to singing than "I am hitting the right note," Jesus.

How did you find your current vocal coach? What does he specialize in or advertise?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Dylstew posted:

Yes, I think I do have an extremely lovely vocal teacher. Which is why I'm leaving after this period ends, I'm going to have to look for a new one :/

Dylstew posted:

I've been whining about how something's wrong with my voice to my mom and sister (which also like singing) for ages but eventually she just got mad at me.
*sigh*

You're in grade school and just experiencing the normal changes of puberty.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Dylstew posted:

But dude, honestly, I'm singing in tune, how the gently caress am I awful at singing? I know I'm not the best but I'm singing a lot better than most people I know.

I didn't say you were bad as far as vocal quality goes, but your technique is poo poo and you are straining and wrecking your voice and not paying attention to the very clear messages your body is sending you.

GO TO A DOCTOR.

End of story.

Once they have helped you figure out why your voice gets all raspy and lovely when you push it even a little bit, or why you have pain after talking for 30 minutes or so, then maybe you can get that all healed up. Once you are well, go find a new vocal coach that isn't poo poo and get some exercises for breathing and supporting your tone.

I talk all day as part of my job, I also sing for fun and make audiobooks and do loads and loads of silly things with my voice. It would be terrifying to me to hear my voice go all lovely like yours does in that brief example. It's not right, it is something you can probably fix and then later, you can train up and get some serious pipes going (even for that breathy goofy style).

Singing slightly out of my comfortable range? No pain!

Sing-song talking with a changeup to a raspier tone? No pain!

Dicking around? No pain!

One more time: SINGING AND TALKING SHOULDN'T CAUSE YOU PAIN!

Unless you have a physical problem or really terrible technique (choked neck, no breath support, etc).

Go get checked out so you can keep singing! :unsmith:

Blitter posted:

You're in grade school and just experiencing the normal changes of puberty.
This is also a possibility.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Do you cough a lot? Might have acid reflux or some poo poo and it's irritating your throat.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I think you should take a vow of silence and become a monk.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Dylstew posted:

Now you're making me extremely worried and my entire family is not going to take me seriously about this. I've been whining about how something's wrong with my voice to my mom and sister (which also like singing) for ages but eventually she just got mad at me.
*sigh*

Haha you are such a little baby

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Serious reply: Use more air. Give notes more support.

If your abs dont get sore, you are not supporting your notes.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foNKLggQ7E4

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
I had my first ever singing lesson yesterday (yay!) and the teacher spent the entire hour going through breathing exercises and how to warm up. I am a total newb and the others have answered way better than I could, but as someone who had to surf piano teachers I can tell you that there are some real cruddy 'teachers' out there.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
It's possible OP has a soft voice because he/she was sexually abused as a child? I'm not saying this happened, but it's possible.
OP would you mind telling us your earliest memory?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
START DOING DRUGS IF YOU DON"T DO DRUGS

IF YOU DO DRUGS
STOP DOING DRUGS
EXCEPT
SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY (might help with your singing problem)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Baloogan posted:

START DOING DRUGS IF YOU DON"T DO DRUGS

IF YOU DO DRUGS
STOP DOING DRUGS
EXCEPT
SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY (might help with your singing problem)

the only sensible advice itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Synonamess Botch posted:

Do you cough a lot? Might have acid reflux or some poo poo and it's irritating your throat.

No, but I do have a lot of acid reflux if I don't watch what I eat.

CuddleChunks posted:

I didn't say you were bad as far as vocal quality goes, but your technique is poo poo and you are straining and wrecking your voice and not paying attention to the very clear messages your body is sending you.

GO TO A DOCTOR.

End of story.

Once they have helped you figure out why your voice gets all raspy and lovely when you push it even a little bit, or why you have pain after talking for 30 minutes or so, then maybe you can get that all healed up. Once you are well, go find a new vocal coach that isn't poo poo and get some exercises for breathing and supporting your tone.

I talk all day as part of my job, I also sing for fun and make audiobooks and do loads and loads of silly things with my voice. It would be terrifying to me to hear my voice go all lovely like yours does in that brief example. It's not right, it is something you can probably fix and then later, you can train up and get some serious pipes going (even for that breathy goofy style).

Singing slightly out of my comfortable range? No pain!

Sing-song talking with a changeup to a raspier tone? No pain!

Dicking around? No pain!

One more time: SINGING AND TALKING SHOULDN'T CAUSE YOU PAIN!

Unless you have a physical problem or really terrible technique (choked neck, no breath support, etc).

Go get checked out so you can keep singing! :unsmith:

This is also a possibility.

Thank you, this post is all I need.

Dylstew fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 13, 2014

• Locked thread