Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Paper Lion posted:

The crafting takes way longer throughout the game than just that.

Are you talking about gem crafting or the collectable system? Because gem crafting is something you can completely ignore until well past half way through the game, at which point it takes like maybe half an hour to get all of the high end gems and stuff you need. If it took hours of your time you probably didn't understand how the system worked at all.

The collectable, system, on the other hand is pretty loving awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ManlyGrunting posted:

Yeah, though I did try and complete the collectopaedia because I never got the hang of the gem crafting system and the gems you got from it would get you through till the endgame.

Make a lot of Cylinders, then have Melia and the last party member craft them. Congratulations you have mastered the crafting system.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Scholtz posted:

Hey guys, Xenoblade Chronicles question here. Every time I engage a uniquely named monster, I black out and the next thing I know I come to and the named mob is dead, my shirt is in shreds all around my chair, and I'm sweating profusely as Dunban tells me what a good job I'm doing. Anyone know what's going on with that?

(why is this game's music so good)

I think Irregular Bounce is the only song in the game that I don't like, and I was really bummed out whenever I got it over Mechanical Rhythm.

Obviously, if you haven't beaten XBC don't look any of the tracks to avoid having OST spoilers.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm surprised at how many layers they added to the combat system, but at the same time disappointed that chain attacks no longer make the game turn based. What's even worse is that the character portraits don't look hyped as gently caress or get sick flames when they're at high tension. That was the best.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm glad that space elves are making a return.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Suspicious Cook posted:

Is there any word on the soundtrack of X yet?

Yea man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Apdfz4HNrY

:suicide:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Champeenship posted:

I guess I'm in the minority here, but the music for X doesn't really bother me all that much (or the character models, for that matter). I mean, I definitely understand where people are coming from, but the worst I feel about it is 'eh'.

On the whole it's just not as good as the original game's soundtrack. The battle/shop music is complete garbage. It would be fine if it was only the native(?) vocalist, but the engrish lyrics are just terrible. They would even be fine if there were no lyrics at all. The rest of the soundtrack seems acceptable to mediocre, just compare the game's main theme to Chronicles's. There's almost no competition.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dastardly posted:

The joke here is that Shimomura's Kingdom Hearts: Xenoblade edition battle theme was so bland that no one even remembers that it exists and people were fine with that. Appreciate that you get to listen to something catchier this time.

I wouldn't describe obnoxious and garbage as catchy, but I also don't like Persona so maybe I just haven't been acclimated yet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

If by beautiful you mean boring and generic as gently caress, then yes I agree.

Honestly the normal encounter music is really monotonous to hear until you get to Mechonis and Mechanical Rhythm starts playing, which is so much better than the Bionis encounter theme.

On the other hand, the music outside of the regular combat theme rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gannyGrabber posted:

I quit xenoblade when they gave me a 4th character but the party could only fit 3. That is the worst poo poo ever and any game that does that can gently caress itself. Thanks for reading.

Why? You can switch them out whenever you want and it's not like they level at different rates.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WrightOfWay posted:

They level at basically the same rate but the affinity system (and how much that effects chain attacks, the most powerful mechanic the player has) definitely discourages switching your party up frequently. It doesn't help that the AI is terrible at playing half the characters.

You don't really have to grind affinities for anything outside of the optional boss fights, though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Xenoblade 3DS has hooks for DLC quests, apparently.

Jesus Christ. When I think of games that could use more content Xenoblade isn't anywhere near that list.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Extremely long soundtrack preview out. It is generic Sawano music through and through and engrishy as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMmE6bsl_c

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Black Stones posted:

It's not terrible, I've just already heard it a billion times before.

That's more or less my complaint with the soundtrack so far, it's about 50-60% Sawano.mp3. The z__________ tracks are pretty good, though, and I'm guessing that those are the exploration songs. The majority of them were skipped over,but the track at about 8:20 is pretty nice and almost reminiscent of Engage the Enemy. Hopefully the soundtrack was just showing off what's supposed to be cool set piece music.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dastardly posted:

No you're just not a whiny baby.

Yeah, I wouldn't say that criticizing the music counts as being a whiny baby. Sawano's soundtracks after Unicorn have a ridiculous amount of similarities between them, he even uses the same loving vocalist for every single one. A lot of his songs sound so similar that they could probably be the same track. The Xenoblade OST seems especially phoned in so far. While Chronicles didn't really have any main unifying theme that was most likely the product of the fact that the game's soundtrack was composed by so many different people. X doesn't really have that, and a lot of its songs also sound exactly like generic Sawano pieces, while also not really sharing a strong unifying melody.

About half of the soundtrack seems really bland and generic, the other half of the soundtrack seems like it'd make pretty good exploration music.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Renoistic posted:

Every single thing I've read about the game for the last 4-5 pages just makes me want to skip this and replay the first Xenoblade instead. I've lost any hype I had.

That's probably a good thing, honestly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh good we're up to the "new things scare me" phase now.

It's not really new things. Right now I'm mostly skeptical of the fact that everything I've heard about the game since release is that the main plot isn't as long as the first game's and that you can put characters in stripper outfits.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Taint Reaper posted:

Like this the first non-mario Nintendo game in decades that actually has the sequel change up the formula from the original, rather than just release the same game.

I wouldn't say that different means better. In many ways I feel as though XBCX looks inferior to the original. The classes don't seem as distinct as the original party's different kits, party members appear fairly bland, I personally dislike the music, the setting isn't as obviously interesting, turbo mode doesn't seem as satisfying as chain attacks, etc.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Taint Reaper posted:

I don't get why people complain about the soundtrack, it's just a different genre of music compared to the other one.

The random background music that plays during exploration isn't bad, it's the event type music.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Taint Reaper posted:

The boss battle event music in xenoblade wasn't anything memorable. Yet Gaur Plains was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQnY7L8ucCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg

I don't know what you're talking about.

On the other hand like half the exploration music in the first game was lame to terrible. Sword Valley's soundtrack just sounds like fart noises to me at this point.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Xenoblade should have had Mechanical Rhythm/You Will Know Our Names for the entire game. I loving hate Mechanical Bounce.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dastardly posted:

Lyn is probably the third most important character, pretty endearing and also required for plenty of story missions.

As far as I can tell the game's party is basically the avatar, Elma, Lyn, and one of 40 random other characters that are sort of there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Infinity Gaia posted:

Those 40 characters still manage to have more depth than you'd expect, since all or nearly all of them have a chain of Kizuna quests attached to them which focuses on them specifically and such. Most streamers never saw most of them due to rushing and the fact that they're too lazy to rotate Elma and Lyn out of the party. Some of them don't even bother recruiting a proper 4th character and instead rely on player rentals.

Yeah, but I would be amazed if the recruitables actually played a role in the main plot and didn't really act as extras. I thought that the main party of Xenoblade was pretty well integrated into most of the game, and the idea of having defined, fleshed out party members that actually have roles tied into the main plot is one of the things I actually like about JRPGs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think it would be great if they changed Lyn's face for the western release.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SatansBestBuddy posted:

On the other hand, the fact that people are complaining about such horrifically minor poo poo is a good sign that the actual game itself is good!

I think it's more an issue that the only armor I've seen any characters in since release have been stripper uniforms. I know nothing about the plot outside of a spoiler of the ~big reveal~ and nothing about how the game actually plays.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Anime Curator posted:

Yeah, they should also change Kirby's expressions on box art. Have to know your audience, right? Yeah yeah, that would definitely be the way to go.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Anime Curator posted:

I don't get what you are trying to say here? A nicer looking face for a teenager?

I don't know, I think it's pretty obvious with the mutant looking shape, the soulless, pitch black eyes from certain angles, the creepy, doll like texture. The faces in this game are poo poo, and Lyn's is by far the most poo poo. If you don't think they should change it I don't know what to tell you, it looks terrible.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If you want someone to post pictures of cool looking armor and giants robots maybe you should go post your own thread so as not to disrupt the deep and interesting discussion of anime pedophilia?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'd really like to know how differently each class plays from the others. One thing I liked about XBC was that every character had their own little gimmick, for the most part, that made them seem distinct from the others.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NicelyNice posted:

I'll spoiler tag this, just in case - details the structure of the plot, no actual plot details revealed:

The game is no longer a linear, one-way journey through areas - the game world opens up from the beginning. It's more akin to something in World of Warcraft where you pick up a quest chain from a central hub and then heading out into the world rather than a JRPG where you're guided along a path. The story missions aren't driven by events, but rather "missions" undertaken by your characters. Your protagonist is silent and passive, and there's only really two story characters in your party (one who is 13-years-old), so even in the main story missions, it never feels like much character development is happening.

The story missions are also gated by side-quests and exploration tasks which you have to undertake to progress the story, so you're kind of forced to take part in the more grindy, MMO aspects of the game to see the main game. As such, the main quest (I don't even know what that is yet, 10 hours into the game) takes a backseat quite often. In the first game, I enjoyed doing side-quests and exploration when I wanted to bring my level up for a boss. It's quite annoying to have them forced on you to progress the story in this game, especially given the repetitive nature of the exploration/collection/monster hunting tasks. The world is also huge and some of the quest hints for collection quests are vague, so you just kind of hope to run into the correct items.

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen with this game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

edit: yes you idiot I'm worried about the story when discussing postgame cameos. Sometimes I wonder why I give a gently caress.

How the gently caress is that even a spoiler? Oh no, if you beat the game you can unlock cool cameos and easter egg outfits holy poo poo everything is RUINED.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Everyone please avert your eyes from the following spoilers: you get a giant robot mid way through the game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I imagine that the combat is probably pretty close to XBC, in which a lot of people apparently couldn't figure it out and wound up thinking that the game played like an MMO.

I'm more interested in what differences the classes have, but he makes it seem like it's really just weapons, rather than more mechanical differences.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The voice acting isn't a big deal to me, but the whole game just seems kind of boring and uninspired at this point. I guess if you really dug the poo poo out of Xenoblade's side quests and like Xenosaga for some reason this poo poo must look amazing, but I really don't see the appeal anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sharla is probably the character with the most voiced lines containing the name "Juju" so she's by default the second worst character in the game.

• Locked thread