Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

I heard that LR was actually pretty good, but the FF13 brand pulled sales down.

Yeah pretty much. 13 was less divisive in Japan and they loved Lightning, but no one there cared about a third game after the first one was already kind of jarring to them and the second sold worse.

Also I've finally finished Xenoblade like two months ago and can be one of the cool kids in this thread. The music is good too, but I have a bias towards Sawano's style, that being said there could stand to be less vocal tracks in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Have they fixed the part of the game where the HUD takes up too much of the screen and the combat is booty?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's good to hear, at least.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crabtree posted:

I hate having to wait for December for X.

I'm willing to put off the pain that is the Xenoblade combat system for as long as I can, thanks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheManSeries posted:

I hope they do because the scalping on that game is loving egregious

I should know, I was one of the scalpers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi3pJL-BmU4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I too feel bad that someone played Xenoblade

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's completely right

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Make your own post and stop cribbing from mine, Slur

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Louisgod posted:

gently caress all of y'all.

Fwiw, Louisgod, if it weren't for you I wouldn't have a copy to be able to sell it to someone on eBay for 95 bucks.

Thank you

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's the best on the Wii because the Wii had two jrpgs and the one that isn't Xenoblade is completely forgettable

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Playing Xenoblade was the greatest struggle for me because I could not muster the ability to play a game with such a loving boring combat system and Sengoku Basara was sitting next to me waiting to be played

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hold, I'm gonna make a list of bad jrpgs since the ps2 era ended

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gimme a minute this is gonna take a while

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Several Atelier games
NIER
Valkyria Chronicles
FF Type-0
The FFXV Demo
Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
The Mario & Luigi RPGs
Tons of SMT games that are not named Strange Journey
The World Ends With You
Bravely Default
Fire Emblem Awakening
Fate/Extra
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

Oh wait, I was wrong, these are the good jrpgs. These are the only ones I've played too, I'm sure some people are willing to speak up for Etrian Odyssey and a few of the Tales games. Maybe there's like one guy somewhere who'll stick up for Ni No Kuni, but he's crazy don't believe him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fate/Extra is a game where you get to play as a voiceless high school student in the moon cell holy grail war, which is a virtual world. The gameplay is basically rock-paper-scissors where you have to predict and plan out your attack according to what pattern you think the enemy is going to use. It's actually a pretty fun game with a very simple combat system that takes it a long way. Your characters of course get skills and you can buff them. You get to choose between one of three servants a Saber, Archer, and Caster. Your goal is of course to win the Moon Cell Holy Grail war and to do this you can actually gather information on enemy servants and masters and learn how they are and that actually gives you an advantage in fights.

It's a fun game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Are you for real man.

I will fight you

The Black Stones posted:

Type-0 is way loving worse than Xenoblade. It is not a good game.

I bought and beat the DBZ game as well but I wouldn't call it a good JRPG. It was fine and playable but is really only good if you're a DBZ nerd.

That's a pretty padded list if I've ever seen one. I'll give you credit for not trying to put trash like the Neptunia games on it.

And you

Andrast posted:

Calling Type-0 good is a bit too complimentary. That game is average at best.

And you

BrightWing posted:

I am that guy, I will stick up for Ni no Kuni. It is a good game for good people.

Not you though, you're a nice guy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

jrpg protagonists should be seen and not heard.

also this protagonist is customized, so i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be "you".

Massive end of game spoilers i guess

Are you a robot?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm gonna buy it and then say it's bad because I probably won't like it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like to play games even ones I'm sure I won't like

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I already am.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i also can't wait

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ardryn posted:

Also, replace Snake with a mute avatar.

That's MGSV

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
GameStop has never kidnapped and tortured me. Now they did offer me a Boba Fett candy dish one time and I took umbrage with that, because the best Star Wars character is Darth Maul tyvm.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is Prject X Zone something that'd come out here? It kinda reminds me of Cross Edge.

they've already announced it for america and it's a bad game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In fact I'm p sure it's more popular in america than Japan which is unfortunate because the game loving sucks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
STOP

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm fine with LA Voice Actors for New Los Angeles.

Also the game won't be good so it doesn't matter.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That does not matter at all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

Up to ~11GB of optional installs.

Holy poo poo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Louisgod posted:

I'm buying this loving game the day it comes out for $48 and am going to play the poo poo out if it and if you don't then you can gently caress right off.

Congratulations

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Black Stones posted:

IF you didn't like the first game why the gently caress are you buying this when it's pretty much just doubling down on what the first game did?

I enjoyed XB's story and chars a lot even though it's all p standard JRPG fare and thought that was enough to make the game worth playin. Though, it took me about 3 years to beat it because playing consistently was an absolute chore since the battle system was so boring and uninteresting. I am hoping XBX fixes this since they seem to be making an effort to fix that because I've read the spoilers and the story and characters are definitely not gonna be what pulls me in.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Look I just wanted to be part of the conversation, alright?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I said come in! posted:

Except it actually does? They don't just magically have completely different expectations. If it's well received over there then it will be here is how always works out.

Hahaa, what? What loving world do you live in where Japanese fans don't differ in opinion from western fans? Let's ignore the fact there's the entire FF12 vs FF13 debacle that both share completely different feelings on and bring up the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles actually has a following in the west compared to Japan with it's insanely minuscule fanbase. How about the fact that I'm sure this very thread has argued a million times about the outfits in this game and what is and is not acceptable and how Japanese games have had this for a very long time. Like how do you let the reactions of Japanese fans temper your expectations on a game that barely appealed to them to begin with on a console they own/care about even less than most western fans do?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol, admittedly I was neurotic and tired when I wrote, that so my bad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No I'm not tired normally just neurotic

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

I fear for Fates

I'm honestly pretty excited to see how far they go.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Boobs are my favourite philosophical construct

Same

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have a high tolerance for poor Japanese English given how long I've been hearing it, but there are lines that must be drawn and Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator is where I draw that line. Points to them for using Emancipator though, not every day you see that in a Japanese game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

Let's hope they got rid of the vocals in the songs too

No, that can stay

• Locked thread