Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I bring Chronicles chat up here instead of the 3D thread? Figured this would be the better place for it.

Just wondering if there's anything I really should do before moving the plot on.

Got to the Machina village and got the hit job to go kill Egil. Colony 6 is all level 3 and outside the Machina village my reputation is 4* everywhere and I have Monado Eater, and Shulk, Sharla, Reyn, Riki and Melia's 4th skill tree unlocked. I heard stuff starts becoming super missable around this point and not entirely sure what I should be doing as I don't want to miss out on cool things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ardryn posted:

The only place that that really has missable things are in Alcamoth, because after you finally get to Egil the timed quests in Alcamoth will disappear for reasons. Apart from that, it sounds like you have basically every important/cool thing unless you're trying to 100%.

Nah, I already screwed myself out of 100% if that's what I was going for. I did the first handful of refugee quests way back at the start of the game and didn't bother checking to see if any more opened up at the time so whOOPS. I just know some quests give arts and skill trees and stuff so wanted to make sure I could do that, though now my teams level 60 across the board so I'm pretty sure I'm super overleveled now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just a question but took the advice and got the Machina city Monado art, now I'm in the Field and friend told me I won't be able to come back here, are there any items I should farm? I got all the stuff I need for the village to hit level 4 in shopping and housing.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 22, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So this game completely went batshit. Zanza-shulk for smash.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So the direct was just to say "no progress has been made translating it"?

Gameplay looks fun but that kinda sucks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dunban posted:

Of course the localization has made progress. It's just that the translated build likely isn't in a presentable state yet. Also, they gotta save something for E3.

I was hoping for the very, very least they'd give a window for it's release.

The trailer itself lasted about 3 minutes it felt and featured the most bored sounding girl ever then just "here's gameplay of the japanese version have fun." Just a little let down as I expected at least a little bit more.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Khisanth Magus posted:

So wait, you guys were expecting them to show a build with some but not all translation inserted? Partial translations can really mess stuff up, in particular with the fact that the new character set overwriting the old one even in places that you haven't translated resulting in pure gibberish.

My only two expectations were.
-Release window at best
-A sample of English voicework, just to hear what's coming up (even if it's just a trailer)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just finished the story in xenoblade and it is a good game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

:nws:Cool armor design in this game:nws:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

:nws:Lol it gets worse.:nws:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I am going to be the loving wierdo here and point out that the article clearly indicates that there are multiple sexualized costumes you can put on Lyn, yet all pictures shown are from the one bikini. One is not multiple. Plus

That site is bad at doing something that's supposed to be close to reporting.

Just got linked to it and this is the 4th outfit like it so... it's not exactly hard to believe.

I'll just ask, how important to the plot is she in the full game because if she's like Nowi in Awakening and I can just bench her forever and never have to see her again that would be pretty cool.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Really? Is that where we're going with this? "OMG I can't believe that there's even a possibility you can put such filthy clothes on this young girl, it just ruins the character for me completely! Why I'm so outraged I'm benching her as soon as possible!"

You could, like, I dunno, not put her in skimpy poo poo and then not have to think about it then? Or is the possibility just tainting it that much for you? Seems like a bit much to spite a single character for when that stuff looks exactly the same on any other female character. Really all it is is an unfortunate byproduct of the fact that all the playable characters follow the exact same clothing template and wear the exact same clothes with no variations unique to the character unlike the original Xenoblade.

It's more like, in all honesty, I've seen her default outfit- and every single other armor piece I've seen on her is a bikini or something. I haven't seen any armor on her that doesn't look stupid.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I think it's more an issue that the only armor I've seen any characters in since release have been stripper uniforms. I know nothing about the plot outside of a spoiler of the ~big reveal~ and nothing about how the game actually plays.

Pretty much this. Only equipment I've seen is just swim suit stuff, default outfits and heart glasses.

Every site outside SA is yelling the big twist that I'm almost 100% is taken out of context anyway or just posting Lyn's wardrobe (or Elma wearing the same thing). I keep hearing "I'll just put cool cyber armor on them" but I'm starting to think people are making that up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, because every blog site is gonna post "OMG. YOU CAN WEAR TOTALLY NORMAL ARMOUR IN A GAME" for all those sweet blog clicks that will generate. How about we trust that there will be perfectly normal stuff in the game, and for anything that goes onto the super creepy side, Nintendo is smart enough to make a call on that without a bunch of nerds screaming about it.

This argument is getting loving stupid.

You realize you added nothing with this and further reinforced what I said by not posting examples of actually cool armor right. The whole point I was trying to make is that people are getting mad at clickbait and saying "nuh-uh not all of it is like that." then not doing anything to really go against it.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah, this is from the Battle Direct

Also in the Battle Direct I saw a mask that just covers the eyes and a mask that just covers the mouth.

See this post? This post is showing me that there is actually armor outside her default one that isn't terrible. It's the one thing I asked.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Black Stones posted:

Take a second to realize why I didn't have to post pictures of totally normal armour, here's a hint: because thinking that the game wouldn't have it is literally being a gigantic hyperbolic moron.

"Hey guys can you show me some of the normal cool armor"
"You're a idiot it's in the game."

Sorry you're in the wrong here dude. Also it's pretty hilarious they give the player so many options to adjust the design on the eyes considering the fact I think most people will be spending a majority of the game looking at robots or the back of their heads.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Black Stones posted:

"Hey guys I need proof that this game will have normal armour like every single video game of its kind in the history of video games has had. This isn't crazy at all!"

Show me on the doll where the anime touched you.

Who said anything on proof, goons are mentioning awesome armor and I haven't seen it so... I want to see it?

Like come on dude.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Endorph posted:

here's some normal looking armor now stop posting

This is the laziest shitpost on the entire board.

But I don't dislike you for it, you tried and that's what's important.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Endorph posted:

im shitposting?

you: why is there so much bikini armor!!!
me: here's some non-bikini armor
you: nice shitpost

Hey is there any cool armor outside the default armor
Here's the default armor.

Speaking of which, in Xenoblade Chronicles was there any case of being able to get Shulk to wear the red and black outfit he's seen with at the start of the game? I got a blue version of it but I never saw the red outside the intro cutscene.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I can't tell if this is supposed to be Kamen Rider-like or something from Soul Sacrifice.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You can also see Mechonis in the distance in most places.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TheKingofSprings posted:

I never unlocked the other one, I got the gem, found out there was another quest, went to talk to Andreas and it hasn't let me do it.

Might be a time of day thing. I remember him not giving it to me right away either for some reason.

^^^^ or that

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I recently played Xenogears after finishing Blade and I'd only want a second one if it didn't turn into a insanely terrible visual novel at midpoint.

I got to the final dungeon and just straight up stopped playing because I just couldn't even pretend I gave a poo poo anymore :psyduck:.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Xenoblade is a good rpg play that

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the reason the story works as well as it does is because all of the characters are really good and none of them feel like they're just filler minus Riki. They all have a roll in the story outside of just agreeing with whatever Shulk says and they even frequently break away from him to have moments by themselves. Not a lot of games I've played do that- either you get a party member and they have a couple lines and then shut up forever or the only thing they care about is the MC for whatever reason (see Persona 4's blank slates)

To me, while it felt like Shulk's story I could easily say it's Reyn's as well or Sharla's.

Xenoblade is really good

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

You've described most JRPGs released in the last decade.

All of the ones I've played haven't been like that v:shobon:v

Like Bravely Default felt like none of the characters were really characters- just kinda paper dolls to me with expressions drawn on them as a example.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

Bravely Default specifically has scenes where characters go off by themselves and have their own plots though. Like every single thing you praised Xenoblade for BD does. Arguably moreso as every character except Tiz is actually more important to the plot than Tiz is and spend more time driving the plot and having their own storyline than he does. As a game to choose as an example of "everyone just sits around and agrees with the main character" that's an odd one because Agnes, Edea and Ringabel (like or dislike the characters) all have their own plots and motivations that got nothin' at all to do with Tiz.

Edit: I mean that doesn't mean Xenoblade is bad or poorly done and I certainly would take Xenoblade's plot over BD's, but it isn't really executing things very different.

I think the overall story is weaker though, guess it's hard to explain but BD just didn't stick with me in the slightest. It felt a lot more generic to me (say what you want about XB) and the characters didn't really feel nearly as fleshed out as any of the seven from XB. Only memorable part of BD plot wise would be the ending for obvious reasons.

Like Sharla for example has a plot thread that stretches through the entire game connected to Reyn and Jade Face that felt satisfying to watch unfold. I never really got anything similar from recent games.

This is also why I'm not expecting much from Xenoblade X :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't really mean the Heart to Heart stuff, I was talking about Colony levels and relationship points or whatever. I could've sworn there was a term to it but I can't really remember it.

I unironically would've loved if Xenoblade Chronicles had skits and fighting in battles with people leveled up the relationships faster the more they fought in the same party.

They do that! It's not super fast but it's how I got relationships up as I didn't notice the gift option :suicide:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jsor posted:

Graces had a pretty good combat system, and a story that was... well, okay, it wasn't very good or complex, but it was silly as hell and kind of charming because of it. It is ~the power of friendship~ taken to its extreme. I've heard Zestria was a trainwreck, though.

Wait Zestria is bad? I haven't played a tales game in a rather long time and thought I might pick it up just to see what's going on with those games

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Evil Fluffy posted:

This chart alone has enough interesting games on it to be worth getting the system. Mario Maker, Mario/Luigi U, LoZ Heroes, Star Fox, Xenoblade, and Mario Tennis? Yes please. :retrogames:

Every time I watch a video of Xenoblade X it really screams "we want to make an MMO but can't (yet)" in the design. OTOH I'd be totally down for some open world Xenoblade multiplayer combat.

Everyone who played the mario tennis game said it sucked rear end if that helps

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Don't play Xenogears. It is bad.

What's also bad is the English translation for Xenoblade X. This is laughable.

:suicide:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Well egg on my face :cripes:

Got linked to it and I don't know the characters names so whoops.

Edit: Looked into it and it's the same translation team.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Yeah but 8-4 are ridiculously good at what they do so

Fair enough, I don't pay too much attention to the translation studios I admit and saw the example given and "these guys are doing X's translation" and got worried. That's all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I sometimes see people praise xenogears and I just don't get it. Literally everything about it felt poorly thought out from the confusing story to it's boring battle system (combo mechanic literally never came into use once in my run through it). It had forgettable characters, awful music outside like one or two tracks and then the entirety of the second half happened where it turns into the worlds worst visual novel where every fight just boiled down to "activate id mode and win the fight."

Like man that game is awful, only thing I really thought was good was the sprite animations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mak0rz posted:

what the gently caress

Sorry, the soundtrack kinda all blended together to me and only song I really remember is the random countdown boss song v:shobon:v

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Butt Ghost posted:

I wonder if /v/ is going to have as strong a reaction to this censorship as they did to Bravely Default's. Surely they can't go through the same song and dance every goddamn time this happens.

I looked and yea they're having a NOA IS CENSORING EVERYTHING meltdown

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The weird sex-pervert stuff they added to appeal to the terminally brain diseased otaku market

:shittypop:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yaldabaoth as a name is a lot more intimidating than "The Big Gold Motherfucker" even if you don't know what it means (I didn't)

Wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So something storyline related got spoiled for me like

a year ago? Whenever the game first came out anyway and I'm kinda curious if it's the only major twist in the game as I haven't really been able to forget about it for some reason. Someone who's beaten the JP version can you tell me how super major it is? (Seriously it sounds like a big story beat don't mouse over just in case) I heard all humans are extinct and we're all dumb robots or something

• Locked thread