Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Clever Spambot posted:

I'd rather they just gut the fetch quests honestly.

They did this in diablo 3 and now the EXP is just rewarded as a bonus from smashing any group of monsters. No quests that require 10 of anything, it's a good solution to the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Regy Rusty posted:

But but

I wanna see Reyn again.

:(

if the Xeno series past performance is any indication you'll get a Reyn 2.0 that is not Reyn but is an entirely different person who just happens to look like Reyn and you're gonna like it or you're not going to get desert until you've come to accept that you're going to have to kill a god in some shape or form.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

It may be a bit too late for that at this point. The rest of the dialogue seems to be recorded already.

This hasn't stopped JRPGs before.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You think they're going to make this a Gamestop exclusive or is it going to get a real release?

Would be nice if they packed in both games like Bayonetta.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

evilalien posted:

Monolith Soft is a Nintendo first party studio, a PC version is never happening.

In the end PC gaming consumes all

If not now then years later, PC gaming shall devour everything, it is inevitable like the endless march of time.

You can buy Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo on steam.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suaimhneas posted:

Guys, I think we're misinterpreting things here. I mean, look closely at this screenshot:

This poor girl didn't always look like this. We saw the effect the Monado had on Dunban's arm. What we're seeing here is the tragic, freakish effect of wearing one near your face.

She looks like loving Momo from Xenosaga.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

wateyad posted:

You all realise that, regardless of who is designing the characters or what the concept art looks like, the in-game models are the exact same level and style of sort of realistic but sort of anime that they were in the first one and you're only just noticing how anime it is now because they have more polygons to work with this time (maybe with a side of there not really having been an important child character in the first one), right?

No Xenoblade's character eyes were all textures on the head. XCX's character's eyes are individual polygonal objects linked and rigged to the head. The modeling style is going to change the look of the characters somewhat because they're not going the project diva route with animated textures on a face rig for facial expressions it seems. Doing poo poo like how they make guys in project diva or the Namco Tales games would be the more advanced way of how they made the original Xenoblade characters.

Anime is pretty weird and fussy in how it translates into 3d. Because you have to model a 2D look from the start and not everything can be in 3D or stuff is covered by a filter.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 9, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think even Melia or Fiora looked like porcelain dolls to the extent that the girls in the new game do. The men have a different look going on too. I think it's incorrect to say that the only difference is graphical power.

It's art direction essentially, or how they chose to approach building them. The characters start on paper for reference and have turnaround views. It's nothing related to graphics or hardware, it's a choice.

The skin textures could look off since it's still an unfinished game. The porcelain doll look isn't exclusive to this one instance. Unfinished models can get that look too when the render isn't a full on production one. Axing stuff like that saves time when you're rendering out.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 9, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

When I say "porcelain doll", I don't just mean the skin texture, but the facial proportions.

Xenoblade: Men and women portrayed in the same style. Most characters of both genders have tall faces, large pointed noses, large eyes, small chins/jaws, and pronounced foreheads.

Xenoblade X: Men and women portrayed in very different styles. Women have more rounded faces, larger eyes containing larger irises, and very small noses. Men have strong jawlines, very small eyes, and rough, lined features.

The characters really don't have the same look at all.

Because they're doing what Xenosaga 2 and 3 did and tried to fully flesh out the Anime look in 3D which just always looks really really weird. Look at Momo from XS 2 and 3.

Star Ocean is guilty of this too.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 9, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I beat the game yesterday with max affinity with party and areas, all skill trees learned, Colony 6 fully rebuilt, made all the monados, collectapedia finished, and all trials complete on a single playtrhough.

I hope X has a better quest tracking system because some of the quests were a real pain in the rear end to find ingame info on and nothing is ever marked on the main map like Elder Scrolls, there's around 400+ quests in the game. Also the excessive load times.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm surprised people liked Riki and didn't crucify him like Chuchu.

RadicalR posted:

Jesus, what was your final time?

156 hours.

Only slightly more than completing everything in Skyrim and it's expansion packs

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

seiferguy posted:

If you look at the quest, it will say what area the NPC is at (not the time of day though). As the above poster said, just wiki it because they'll list the times. If you want to he honest about it, go to the area and then change the in game time to add 3 hours at a time and they'll eventually show up.

Question: I just recruited the Heropon, and found he can farm affinity nicely with his Happy Happy ability to get continuous combo attacks, provided he has high tension. What's the best way to get high tension?

I'm kind of obsessed with raising affinity within my party and I don't know why...

hold off farming affinity until you can get Fiora's skill tree quest that sends you into Tephla Caves. The boss there sleeps upon hit so you can spam wakeup on the person getting hit. Just run away when the boss takes too much damage. it takes around 5 minutes per affinity link to bring it to max.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That's probably a pretty big spoiler for him considering where he's at, Taint Reaper. Besides, there's an easier Unique to abuse that on on a cliff in Eryth Sea anyway.

Are we seriously spoilering a 3 year old game(5 years old in japan).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

NTT posted:

Oh man the Nopon are back! :3:

They never left they've been in every single Xeno game.

Chu Chu was the first.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

Considering the guy made the game and is probably OCD about things I'd say he's probably grooming everything for bugs or things they missed. Still 5x larger than Xenoblade either means there's a shitton to do or there's a massive amount of empty, meaningless space.

I hope there aren't 5 billion Collect 10 of X quests.

U-DO Burger posted:

I don't think it's been outright stated anywhere, but I can't really think of any game that both allows you to customize the MC's voice, and gives the MC lots of voiced dialogue in cutscenes. I mean, it'd be kind of waste of resources to record the same dialogue for 20 different people. It's a pretty safe assumption to say that the MC will silent when the plot is happening.

Saint's Row, Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Monster Hunter

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 28, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fungah! posted:

Monster Hunter doesn't even have voiced lines for PCs, just a bunch of grunts and shouts

But you can pick your preferred grunts and shouts.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kurtofan posted:

Box art is pretty:

Checkout that robot cockpit

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silvain posted:

2 Wii U games in a month? I don't think so.

Holy poo poo.....it's almost like a normal videogame system!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I could go for some Boob Sliders with a side of fries.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Thoom posted:

Isn't that pretty low for a highly anticipated big-name JRPG?

If the game sucks they're in deep poo poo because the only other game coming is like....Splatoon.

Mario Maker just exists to be trampled upon by other games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Nintendo Direct is just going to be

"We've done it, we've surrendered to the anime, we request all to bathe in the cleansing light of the desu for salvation is the one true sugoi"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fungah! posted:

famitsu's basically worthless as far as reviews go these days, i'm waiting to see what 2ch people and japanese goons have to say

They included character hair from Xenogears and Xenosaga. You can make Fei Wong and Elle as well as Shion and KOS-MOS.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anime Curator posted:

Irrelevantly pissed off that they changed the name of the giant robots from "Dolls" to "Skells". It was already in English, for cripe's sake. Is it that horribly emasculating that your giant robot has a vaguely feminine name?

Dolls sounds stupid

Skells sound closer to Skeletons.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anime Curator posted:

as the person said:
"don't mind the word dolls up in the corner there, we are already working on that""

and I say to myself, "WHY???"

Because it sounds stupid.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
how about instead of Dolls they call them amiibos, which is just another name for dolls.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only name that would be worse that Dolls would be d0LL-z

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

Are you guys really this concerned with what the big robots are called?

The best anime robot name will always be the Sagans

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Terper posted:

Why can none of these streamers put some loving pants on their characters.

It's a rhetorical question, but gently caress.

In the future pants are optional!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ometeotl posted:

It's not like Nintendo is going to keep that outfit for the West. If they changed the outfits in Bravely Default, I can't see them letting that one pass.

I dunno they didn't change anything about Iron Bull in Dragon Age and that has the same rating as this game. ESRB rating for this is M.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Oh good we're up to the "new things scare me" phase now.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It's not really new things. Right now I'm mostly skeptical of the fact that everything I've heard about the game since release is that the main plot isn't as long as the first game's and that you can put characters in stripper outfits.

Stripper outfits are clearly in the good thing category.

Like this the first non-mario Nintendo game in decades that actually has the sequel change up the formula from the original, rather than just release the same game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

katkillad2 posted:

Nothing about what I've seen so far looks like a Xenoblade game or sequel, except for the combat system. It looks more like a spiritual successor, except they are using what popularity the Xenoblade name had.

Xenoblade came about because Nintendo told them to put the Xeno name in the series since these were the same people who made Xenosaga and Xenogears and it would help people warm up to Xenoblade.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I wouldn't say that different means better. In many ways I feel as though XBCX looks inferior to the original. The classes don't seem as distinct as the original party's different kits, party members appear fairly bland, I personally dislike the music, the setting isn't as obviously interesting, turbo mode doesn't seem as satisfying as chain attacks, etc.
I dunno Xenoblade had like Rikki which you partnered with shulk and then the third character really didn't matter. I beat the game in it's entirety with a full collectopedia without really needing to mix and match party specs all that much.

Like maybe for the 120 level boss I did so Rikki and Sharla would keep overhealing and the boss just slowly wore itself down, but I ended the game in the first playthrough with everyone at max level. like I really only switched stuff just to max out the party linkage affinity but I did so for just the one resettable bossfight which you spammed awaken on a stunned party member constantly until they were at max. But yeah not a whole lot of party shifting was needed in battle and I mostly did it just for the heart to heart events.

that and to 100% all the achievements ont eh first playthrough.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Also it's really hard for me to complain about that DLC when Nintendo usually does it as well as they do.
It's the same type of DLC that Namco made for Tales of Zesteria and people hated it and now Namco is going to package the DLC with the US release so there's no blacklash.

And it's honestly the same type of DLC this not an exaggeration. The Tales DLC is exclusive outfits, missions that lead you to getting a new character and everything else.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TurnipFritter posted:

It's also the same type of DLC that Fire Emblem Awakening and that was a resounding success for Nintendo.

Yes but the 3ds was in a much stronger place back then and it's still in a stronger place now. And not only that Fire Emblem is an SRPG with entirely different mechanics.

Xenoblade is not only a big release for Nintendo, it's their only big release. Like this is it , everything released previous to it was all garbage games for 2015. And Zelda was moved to 2016. They can't afford to gently caress anything up. The System is 3 years in at this point. If they release it durring the holidays it's going to go up against many other RPGs.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 29, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The thing is the world itself is Elder Scrolls size and while yes there are a ton of quests the character ones are the most engaging.

They're not adding whole new zones or anything to the game and all this poo poo is on Disc DLC. So it really does come across as nickel and diming. It's not like You're getting new massive places to explore like Dragonborne.

icantfindaname posted:

I don't really think the target audience for some ultra-weeb anime soaked JRPG on the WiiU of all consoles has any crossover with the audience for like a Bethesda or Bioware game on the PC or Xbox

Final Fantasy 15 is coming this year and Atlus is releasing poo poo for Playstation.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

This is better than Persona 3's Party hardy dorm music.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I don't get why people complain about the soundtrack, it's just a different genre of music compared to the other one.

bossfight posted:

This is great. It's the perfect song to blast in my car when drivin through the hood.

This is actually a major part of the game. Since the robots become cars and all.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The random background music that plays during exploration isn't bad, it's the event type music.

The boss battle event music in xenoblade wasn't anything memorable. Yet Gaur Plains was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fish Fry Andy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQnY7L8ucCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg

I don't know what you're talking about.

On the other hand like half the exploration music in the first game was lame to terrible. Sword Valley's soundtrack just sounds like fart noises to me at this point.

I can't remember where the first one is from, but the second one was just the generic battle music that I have no strong opinions over.

• Locked thread