Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Louisgod posted:

gently caress vocal songs, give me organic ambiance. I cringe every time I hear lyrics in video game music, especially in Japanese tracks.

JAB, HOOK, UPPERCUT
FEEL MY BLOW WHEN IT IMPACTS UP YOUR GUT
YOU WANNA TRY TO BEAT THE CHAMP?
YOU AIN'T TOUGH ENOUGH
YOU THINK YOUR MOVES ARE THE BEST
THEN I COUNTER-PUNCH

I assume you don't actually mean "all tracks with vocals," right? I like new-agey or choral vocals, and I hope that's what they mean when they refer to "vocal songs." To me that would include tracks like Satorl Marsh at night and the final boss (please listen to that because if you're like me the boss died before I had a chance to appreciate his theme) from Xenoblade, and those are absolutely fantastic. This track from Tales of Legendia, written in the game's fictional language, also comes to mind.

I feel like there's a difference between that and pop/rock/hiphop/rap/whatever songs. Whenever I hear that poo poo I think I'm playing a music video instead of a videogame.

The exceptions of course are Pumpkin Hill and the entire Killer Instinct 3 soundtrack :colbert:

E: I'm referring to music heard during gameplay. I'm fine with any vocal intro/ending theme if they're written well.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Doc V posted:

-Takahashi's 300 hour playthrough was not a 100% run.

YES

YES

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I am ready.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Doc V posted:

Holy crap, the first Xenoblade took like 200 hours to finish completely and that was big enough and now we're looking at almost double the size of that game.

Also if anyone wants a sample of what the vocal tracks will be like, there's this song from one of the trailers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBqkzq8nAQI

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is the game confirmed for a western/American release? If it's an xc situation I am completely ready to import a European wiiu and game

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Is the game confirmed for a western/American release? If it's an xc situation I am completely ready to import a European wiiu and game

It most certainly is.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sawano pours tons of vocals into his tracks, so that's no big surprise.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The best news out of all this is that there is no dedicated healer.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Somebody please tell me vin diesel is one of the voice actors for the main character. You could totally play as vin diesel in shadowrun returns which was amazing. There was even the riddick shades option. It would be a really great way to target the non anime pillow crowd.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Safety Scissors posted:

Somebody please tell me vin diesel is one of the voice actors for the main character. You could totally play as vin diesel in shadowrun returns which was amazing. There was even the riddick shades option. It would be a really great way to target the non anime pillow crowd.

Ugh no. Ill take Beat Takeshi. April launch and we still don't know poo poo about online.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Terper posted:

The main character is silent, the only voice lines are when they call out attacks/other stuff in battle.

Is this confirmed? :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Is this confirmed? :(

I don't think it's been outright stated anywhere, but I can't really think of any game that both allows you to customize the MC's voice, and gives the MC lots of voiced dialogue in cutscenes. I mean, it'd be kind of waste of resources to record the same dialogue for 20 different people. It's a pretty safe assumption to say that the MC will silent when the plot is happening.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's really lovely because Shulk was awesome.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mak0rz posted:

I assume you don't actually mean "all tracks with vocals," right?

Actually I do, the lyrics tend to be nonsensical and feel forced and the X song over I think the second trailer comes to mind. FF13-2 comes to mind. J-pop comes to mind. I've never liked lyrics in video game soundtracks.

Anyway, it's just a fun quirk I've had for years, I'm sure I'll get used to the music that plays.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It sucks that the main character won't be doing a lot of talking, but that's just one of the costs of letting you do your own character like that. Saint's Row let you pick a voice and your character then talked, but they only had six voice actors in 2, and I think seven in 3 and 4, and there weren't all that many cutscenes where the Boss was talking.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

I don't think it's been outright stated anywhere, but I can't really think of any game that both allows you to customize the MC's voice, and gives the MC lots of voiced dialogue in cutscenes. I mean, it'd be kind of waste of resources to record the same dialogue for 20 different people. It's a pretty safe assumption to say that the MC will silent when the plot is happening.

Bioware games do this, but Bioware is also funded by one of the biggest publishers.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I said come in! posted:

Bioware games do this, but Bioware is also funded by one of the biggest publishers.

They were doing that since before the EA acquisition.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Doc V posted:

So, the latest issue of Famitsu has a 10 page feature on Xenoblade X. I haven't seen scans yet, but there's a bunch of tidbits on Japanese blogs already:

-You can pick one of several different voice actors for the main character
-Map on the gamepad shows player location and quest goal areas, also allows fast travel to already visited areas.
-Unlike its predecessor, the game is an open-world RPG that allows you to advance to plot in multiple different areas at the same time.
-Lots of vocal songs on the soundtrack
-The X ("cross") in the title symbolizes several players playing together online. The game isn't an MMO, but rather a "loosely connected online game", whatever that means.
-The soundtrack has around 90 tracks
-The game world is around 400 square kilometers in size.
-Combat is based on Xenoblade's, but made to feel faster and more "action-y".
-No dedicated healer, healing is done through the Soul Voice system.
-4 character parties
-Way more unique monsters and equipment
-Takahashi replayed the game to give it a final inspection and it took him over 300 hours

Doc V posted:

More stuff:
-Near the start of the game, you join one of 8 different unions and do quests for them. The different unions are all in charge of different stuff like eliminating dangerous life forms, securing resources or developing weaponry. You can switch to a different union later on.
-The game pad map is made out of hexes. Touching a hex shows any events in the area and allows you to fast travel to the location.
-Dolls are extremely powerful, but aren't accurate enough to target enemies' individual body parts. Targeting body parts allows you to weaken enemies and obtain bonus items, so sometimes it pays off to fight outside your mech.

Yes, yes YESSSSSSS :getin:
At last, the Future LA Union Worker With Mech simulator is complete.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Louisgod posted:

gently caress vocal songs, give me organic ambiance. I cringe every time I hear lyrics in video game music, especially in Japanese tracks.

One of Sawano's 'things' is that he does a lot more vocal insert songs than most anime OST dudes, they're all in hilariously bad Engrish or German but that doesn't stop most of them from being amazing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
http://gematsu.com/2015/01/xenoblade-chronicles-x-details-map-size-unions

gematsu posted:

The eight unions are:

Pathfinder - In charge of data probe installation.
Interceptor - In charge of exterminating protists.
Avalanche - In charge of hunting down dangerous life forms.
Testament - In charge of the search and recovery of debris scattered by the ship, as well as the recovery of items lost on the battlefield.
Corepedian - In charge of visiting areas and investigation/collecting materials.
Land Bank - In charge of securing resources and collecting minerals.
Arms - Assists the Arms Company in charge of the development of Dolls and their inner weaponry.
Companion - A Jack of all trades, from the mediation of petty fights to the search of stray cats.

Corepedian sounds pretty sweet, just get rewarded even more for exploring. On the other hand the idea of Companion giving me a mech to fly around and find a lost kitty (possibly stuck on a giant alien tree monster) is amazing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gonna name myself Cloud and join Avalanche.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

U-DO Burger posted:

Saints Row is another example to go with the various Bioware games above, but equally so, that's got more potential funding behind it to channel into that sort of thing, along with not being a massive, hundreds of hours long RPG.

Personally, I'd say the most telling thing is that during the start of the game, there's not really any real dialogue options - just confirming your name, and then (I think) if you're ready to move on after the tutorial fight. Unless there's a sudden twist down the line, it doesn't really seem much like they're looking for the player's input beyond confirmation.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

Gonna name myself Cloud and join Avalanche.

Naming my character Eric Peterson and joining Testament.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Naming my character Erich Weber and joining Testament.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The 300 hour thing (with theoretically infinite elements lol) thing sounds kind of overblown but man oh man the rest of that looks cool. Are they doing a demo anytime soon?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This sounds like an offline MMO. I mean we'll see, but sometimes less is more

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

"Offline MMO" was a pretty good description of Xenoblade.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

That's also literally the number one thing people complained about with Xenoblade, so that shouldn't be a surprise

e: ....

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You don't have to do the sidequests

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Xenoblade, despite being quite open and vast in scope, had a very linear story. Here's what you're doing, here's where you're going, here's why you're doing it, here's how you're going to go about it, but yeah just do it whenever you feel like, bro. And that's very different from what X is setting itself up to be. Which isn't bad, mind you, it will just be a different story told in a very different way. Which might end up being bad, but hey.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fungah! posted:

The 300 hour thing (with theoretically infinite elements lol) thing sounds kind of overblown but man oh man the rest of that looks cool. Are they doing a demo anytime soon?

Considering the guy made the game and is probably OCD about things I'd say he's probably grooming everything for bugs or things they missed. Still 5x larger than Xenoblade either means there's a shitton to do or there's a massive amount of empty, meaningless space.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Terper posted:

Xenoblade, despite being quite open and vast in scope, had a very linear story. Here's what you're doing, here's where you're going, here's why you're doing it, here's how you're going to go about it, but yeah just do it whenever you feel like, bro. And that's very different from what X is setting itself up to be. Which isn't bad, mind you, it will just be a different story told in a very different way. Which might end up being bad, but hey.

The scale of xenoblade chronicles x is like no other game ever made.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The story of Xenoblade Chronicles X will try too hard to live up to the goodwill left by the original Xenoblade, lack an emotional connection to many of the characters, have long stretches of time where nothing really happens and motivations stay the same, and just generally be too unfocused and ultimately unrewarding.

e: Goddamn will it look cool and good while doing it though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

Considering the guy made the game and is probably OCD about things I'd say he's probably grooming everything for bugs or things they missed. Still 5x larger than Xenoblade either means there's a shitton to do or there's a massive amount of empty, meaningless space.

I hope there aren't 5 billion Collect 10 of X quests.

U-DO Burger posted:

Saint's Row, Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Monster Hunter

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 28, 2015

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

gently caress, I have unwittingly outed myself as someone who has not in fact played any of those games. :smith:

How much cutscene dialogue does the MC get in those games? Do they have actual conversations that show personality, or it is more like a series of one-liners?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Out of those five, only the Bioware ones have the MC talk a lot, and I think the only voice differences in those are male/female.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Motto posted:

Out of those five, only the Bioware ones have the MC talk a lot, and I think the only voice differences in those are male/female.
Saints 2, 3, and 4 all have the MC talk a bunch.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

U-DO Burger posted:

gently caress, I have unwittingly outed myself as someone who has not in fact played any of those games. :smith:

How much cutscene dialogue does the MC get in those games? Do they have actual conversations that show personality, or it is more like a series of one-liners?

Saint's Row, Mass Effect and Dragon Age are the biggest of the bunch, since the main characters talk and respond as part of full conversation - albeit for Saint's Row and Dragon Age, only from certain sequels onwards. The Boss in SR will even joke about in 4 how they used to be shy and quiet back when they started out. Mass Effect and Dragon Age meanwhile have full voice acting for an absolute tonne of dialogue trees, though thinking about it, Mass Effect doesn't let you change the voice of Shepard - you just get gender specific ones. Whilst in Dragon Age 2 (I know, but I haven't played Inquisition yet), you play a rather definitive Hawke, so again, male or female only. Saint's Row, meanwhile, has had seven voices for the Boss as of the latest title, with Male and Female 1-3, plus a bonus voice (for 4, Nolan North). So its a bit of a sliding scale in terms of how any actors there are versus how much dialogue is used.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Saint's Row 2 has three male voices and three female voices. Saint's Row 3 has three male voices, three female voices, and Zombie. Saint's Row 4 has three male voices, three female voices, and Nolan North.

And while Astro Nut beat me, I'm posting this anyway, 'cause I remembered the Zombie voice. :colbert:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Monster Hunter doesn't even have voiced lines for PCs, just a bunch of grunts and shouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fungah! posted:

Monster Hunter doesn't even have voiced lines for PCs, just a bunch of grunts and shouts

But you can pick your preferred grunts and shouts.

• Locked thread