Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Louisgod posted:

We get into it pretty well in the other Xenoblade thread but know that it bucks just about every JRPG cliche in the book, specifically:

-No mana/MP
-You die, no game over, you go immediately to your last checkpoint, which generally is a few minutes back
-Save anywhere, any time
-Quick travel via the map means you an go anywhere at any point in a matter of seconds
-No inns, no need for rest or to recharge
-No items in battle. Hell, no items for the most part.
-Status effects don't follow you after battle
-Putting in armor makes your character look different
-No dumb JRPG character cliches

It literally undoes what's been wrong with JRPGs in the last decade and I'm sure I'm missing some key points.

That last point really bears repeating. The cast is all so likable. There really isn't any dead weight there. The voice acting really contributes positively as well. It's a fun adventure with a group of fun characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Louisgod posted:

I'm playing through the game again and am about 55 hours in and only at Sword Valley. I've been taking my time with doing all the quests and exploring and am having just as much fun as I did the first time through.

I am also doing that, but I'm not quite as far as you. I decided to give it another go on Dolphin this time (with the high-res textures) and man does it look like a next gen game. I just reached colony 6 and I'm amazed at how much stuff there is to do and how much of it I forgot about. The game is so dense it practically begs for a second playthrough.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Louisgod posted:

They probably mean you can pick from a bunch of pre-made character traits for your avatar ala Monster Hunter's grunts, faces, hair, etc. I don't know how I feel about not having a named main character but I'll reserve judgement considering their track record.

I'm definitely a bit less excited about playing a mute/blank slate protagonist but I'm with you. I think if the rest of the game is solid it might not matter much.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Aston posted:

I've got to the end of my save at about level 83, but I want to finish up a bunch of quests which involve killing level 99ish monsters - basically the skill tree quests and the Giants quest. Are there any quests I can find that'll bridge me from mid 80s to mid 90s?

If I recall, I just piggybacked from the higher level monsters wherever I could. There are super high level monsters in every zone; the fish in Colony 9, the giant guys in Bionis Leg, etc. I think all you can try do do at 83 is try to find a sub 90 monster and grind on it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Has a Pacific Rim feel to it, in parts. I like it also.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
That trailer definitely sold me on the game if I wasn't before (and the Wii U). I suspect the story wont be quite as solid as the first but the world looks so BIG this time around. My stomach dropped when the character jumped off the giant cliff. I can't wait to play that poo poo.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

hopeandjoy posted:

For some reason I thought that the MC was customizable? Was this a fever dream I had during last E3 or something?

I also was under that impression which is why I laughed so hard at the derpface version at the end of the trailer.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The art style is super disappointing after how colorful the first game was. I never did like the Xenosaga creepy mannequin look. Still, the world looks loving huge and fun to explore and I love the mech motorcycle things. I'll probably still buy a Wii U to play it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

You know, it doesn't really look like what I wanted out of a Xenoblade sequel but it definitely looks like a game I want to play.

EDIT: those faces are baaaaaad

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

I'm getting a Phantasy Star Online vibe from it.

E: I hope to god this isn't an in-game cutscene

Yes, it is channeling PSO way more than Xenoblade. And goddamn the should be ashamed of the character models. Everything else looks really solid but the people look stiff, almost like PS2 era models.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
PSO with Gears. Not too shabby. That part where they were fighting the GIANT lava dudes looked pretty baller.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think I must have really terrible taste in music because I really liked the music preview :saddowns:.

That's because it was very good.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Doc V posted:

Big Doll update this week!

An overview page on Dolls: http://xenobladex.jp/world/doll.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI69lrGxcks
-You gain access to Dolls when you reach a point in the story when you can apply for a Doll license
-Later in the story, you can develop a flight pack for your Dolls
-Light-type Dolls: less HP, high accuracy and evasion. High mobility in battle. Low fuel capacity, but low fuel consumption when flying. Relatively cheap.
-Middle-type Dolls: balanced and easy to use. All parts are well armored, so it's hard for enemies to break off parts. A bit on the expensive side.
-Heavy-type Dolls: very high HP and defense. High fuel capacity, allowing you to equip a lot of high-power weapons. Low mobility in battles, uses up a lot of fuel in flight. Expensive.

Doll battles and customization: http://xenobladex.jp/battle/battle10.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8oUJzlJ3c
-Hand weapons: modify how your Doll's autoattack works. Include rods, swords, assault rifles and shotguns
-8 other weapon slots give your Doll access to arts
-Back weapons: railgun, missile, grenade launcher etc. Give you high-powered arts
-Shoulder weapons: missile, chaingun, laser etc. Give you arts that are even more powerful than back weapon arts
-Arm weapons: shield, vulcan etc. Many support arts
-Spare weapons: beam saber, hand grenade etc. Quickly recharging arts
-Each weapon slot has left and right versions
-As usual, you can spend 3000 TP to activate Overclock Gear
-OC Gear lets you use Doll arts without spending any fuel
-When you use arts, there is a chance you'll go into cockpit mode, which recharges all your arts
-After you inflict Break on an enemy, you can Catch it, which prevents it from acting and makes all attacks against it hit automatically and deal extra damage
-Flying and using Doll arts spends Doll Fuel, which recharges when you're not piloting the Doll and can also be bought at NLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IwMoproWI0
-You can customize your Doll's equipment, color and name

Character pages for Dolls:

There's also a new page showing off Dolls customized by the staff: http://xenobladex.jp/character/miracollection_doll.html

New illustration: http://xenobladex.jp/gallery/gallery09.html

This week's Nopon gag page has screens of the Canyon of Forgetfulness: http://xenobladex.jp/special/sp-welcome20150416.html

Goddamn the illustrations look nice.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Taint Reaper posted:

They included character hair from Xenogears and Xenosaga. You can make Fei Wong and Elle as well as Shion and KOS-MOS.

I can't wait to make derpy Fei. Or Wiseman!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bef posted:

I can't say I'm going to enjoy something I've never played but I'm going to buy it and enjoy it for what it is because I want them to make more games.

Yes, I hope to enjoy it but I'll enjoy it if it's good. I'll be disappointed if it's not. Some kotaku dude not liking it is a pretty good sign though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Louisgod posted:

Auughh that poo poo sucks.

Nah it's pretty good. It just isn't as good as Xenoblade.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Xavier434 posted:

I think it is fine. It just isn't what some people wanted out of it.

It definitely doesn't attract me the way Xenoblade did before it came out. It looks like it could be fun but it really doesn't look as amazing overall. Maybe giant robot combat will make up for everything.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Inflammatory posted:

as someone who's only passingly familiar with the original xenoblade, i'm not sure what you guys find so special about the plot and characters. hero chosen by magic sword gets hometown wrecked by bad guys, so he sets out to get revenge with the help of big dumb guy, old mentor guy, noble princess, and cute mascot character.

Short answer: presentation.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ometeotl posted:

For Xenoblade, he's absolutely correct. It's nice being able to move and change artes at the same time.

Can't you do that with the Classic Controller or am I misremembering? I thought you could use L/R for that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that played and beat Arc Rise Fantasia.

:hfive:

despite having the worst dub I can commit to memory without having a seizure, it was a hella fun game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Slur posted:

My opinion about a video game is more valid than your opinion about a video game and if you disagree with me then you're wrong.

i don't think thats true

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kaubocks posted:

I don't know what any of you guys are talking about but I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time ever and I'm liking it a lot. :cheers:

That's because it's a really good and fun game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Giant anime boobs are good and it's a sad day that we have to make due with average anime boobs instead.

weep for america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Louisgod posted:

I'm sorry your meaningless breast slider got removed, I hope you and others find the stength to move on from this travesty.

Please don't denigrate variable sized anime titty.

• Locked thread