Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

E3 2013 Mechbay Trailer (Shows some more wandering around the city, wildlife, player mechs, presumably bad guys)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

Four chapters too long would mean that in your opinion the game should have ended just before the Airy reveal. That tells me that you only have interest in the boring bog standard plots, and as soon as BD took its left turn and started doing interesting things you tuned out. Was it because the game got hard? was it scary because you don't like things that are different? I'd like to know why a games plot kicking into high gear would make you say "this is boring and xenoblade, a game written by somebody that just learned about object permanence, is better."
It's no secret that Ch 5 and 6 were repetitive trash compared to the surrounding chapters, and they tend to burn people out before they hit 7/8 when things resume and actually do become challenging. Luckily in the US version of the game you can turn off encounters and put it in easymode and fast travel to the four crystals fairly painlessly (except the fourth one which still involves a maze) to get through them with less tedium.

The big reveal and ability to end the game seriously happens right after 4. You can complete 4 then immediately go win the game. Otherwise you have to power through two dull chapters before the game resumes again in a good way.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 12, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Yeah maybe if you're bad at doing chain attacks. The combat pretty much revolves around setting up various combos to initiate and sustain a chain attack where you do indeed control everybody. Even healing in the game is by and large best handled by chain attack boosts instead of the one medic.

Rikki is the best partially because he gives you 1/3 progress towards your next chain attack mid-combat, or can simply start you out with a chain attack if you can forsee combat.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Rirse posted:

Also the person in the stream mentioned you can target limbs now.

I could have sworn I saw part of a monster break off during the live event streaming, like he cut the ear off some rabbit creature.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

From the stream, the player used 3000 TP (full green bar) to revive his dead NPC with ~80% HP mid battle after a B prompt

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Activate "Gear" probably means the mech->motorcycle transformation if I had to make a guess. Also,

Doc V posted:

-Leave the catch to me (I guess you can capture monsters?)
E3 this year really had a huge emphasis on hunting monsters, drat.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Locking out critical gameplay features that are arguably better than what is default isn't "completely optional" and you know it

I never got the additional character trees until after I beat the game once, so, what critical gameplay features are you talking about?

The only "bad" city was Alcamoth only because (unlike every other location in the game) it didn't have a myriad of fast travel points so you couldn't just push "-" and immediately appear right outside where you wanted to be if you were done fooling around. They could have made it better, but it's not as super bad and locking out critical features as you pretend.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That's fair, the better quests involved hunting named monsters anyhow. And there were plenty of sidequests even without doing the collection ones.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

There's a difference between doing something dumb at your own leisure right before the postgame in order to do slightly higher numbers, and having something be gated behind a time limit that as a player you may not even always be aware of with the reward being 2 entire paths of growth that dictate your entire strategies for the rest of the game. Stop being disingenuous.

Any quest that might become off limits to you at any point of the game is very clearly marked with an alarm clock icon. This indicates that a plot event will remove access to the area or NPC at some future point.

The radical game-changing bonuses are things like "5 seconds delay on Shulk's vision" or "20% less aggro" and "Immune to ability down," not new talent arts or spells. You can't even get them till the end of the game -- some require fighting Lv. 90+ monsters that are much tougher than the game's final plot sequences.

They're wholly unnecessary and are mostly useful for doing something dumb at your own leisure to do slightly higher numbers. Are you purposely trying to be a strawman to set up weak arguments or did you not play the game?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Here's to hoping for another decision to have a voiced protagonist, then.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Sharla's useful when you're fighting things you honestly shouldn't be fighting, in conjunction with Riki and Seven to keep high-damage chains with high team evasion going. You can get enough blue to transition through white (white/special chains with any color like a wildcard) that way.

Normal healing is best accomplished through putting down the enemy quick enough, and ability-linking "Heal from chain attacks" on everybody. Once you're good at getting and maintaining chains, you'll be healing plenty while taking little damage in return.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

But nothing stops you from building up a new chain you can trigger the moment the previous one ends. Riki is the best.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's frustrating because Speed is pretty much always the best equipment in this case :shepicide:

Pretty sure the top two Speed armors for that character are identical in Speed boost, though, so you've got your choice in looks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The main colony has a big ol' USA flag on it, which is disappointing because it reduces the odds of an excellent British supporting cast. Seriously, it was immediately a disappointment when that thing showed up, even more than the hyper-anime girl.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Seriously some stupid boring robot monster that sounds like a newscaster reading off a teleprompter just won't be the same after we've all fought a hulking, drunk British robot that's slowing growing more incoherent and somewhat regretful as he rages out at us.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That sounds like a good place to work. "No, you may not work overtime or work on this over the weekend, but feel free to use company assets after hours. Just be sure you leave for home by nine."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Levantine posted:

I'm definitely a bit less excited about playing a mute/blank slate protagonist but I'm with you. I think if the rest of the game is solid it might not matter much.

Especially since apparently Shulk is going to be in Smash now if I hear the rumors right, it's a little disappointing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

legoman727 posted:

If you somehow haven't seen the leaks, then yeah, Shulk's in Kerfuffle, we have video evidence of it.

His final smash is friendship/teamwork-based Reyn Time, I hope.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm surprised people liked Riki and didn't crucify him like Chuchu.

Riki was just some middle-aged guy, species aside, with a wife and kids. He was voluntold to help you to go pay off his debts and get him away from town for a while, rather than complain and he totally owns it and hams it up. Plus he's good in a lot of party configurations (all of them).

Did you run across the nopon meth-lab-in-the-woods sidequest? They're not just stuffed animals.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I was missing the waterfall near the region exit for the longest time. Just remember that when you really do get them all, the full map unshadows.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Aston posted:

I've got to the end of my save at about level 83, but I want to finish up a bunch of quests which involve killing level 99ish monsters - basically the skill tree quests and the Giants quest. Are there any quests I can find that'll bridge me from mid 80s to mid 90s?

If you find high level monsters near the edge of a cliff or something, kick them off for an instant kill. Hope this helps.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Gem crafting isn't vital, but you can get some nice bonuses such as an accuracy boost at night (used to help engage too-high level monsters earlier) or speed up your characters. Affinity is gained from sharing items, the B-prompts, and some conversation (incl. quest turn-in and heart to hearts). Mechanically, in combat lets you pull off better chains -- in addition to how it unlocks more heart-to-hearts.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There are spoilerific google doc spreadsheets and wikis around that list where you can get particular items with better odds of success, but generally speaking, don't sweat it. Some you can trade for with a particular NPC if you have the right plot conditions, affinity, and whatever.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It's also about to see a re-release in all regions on the 3DS since it came out at the end of the Wii's lifespan.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The easiest way to mega heat is purposely failing a crafting session so have enough partial gems such that you start crafting mostly there. once you hit one hundred percent in adding ingredients, it stops letting you add more. But you can add two ninety percent leftovers and start crafting your gem at one hundred and eighty, well past enough to guarantee success and already close to mega heat.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

As always, I get a better answer than I could ask for. Thanks :allears:

Now, can someone tell me what Xord yell-mumbles at you every time you hit him during the first battle? Whatever it is it gets old pretty fast.

Drunk robots mumbling about eating you is actually really great.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You probably talked to somebody that knew more about him and subconsciously made the connection -- BIG TWIST spoiler one of the named NPCs in Colony 9 is his daughter and talks about him being a blacksmith offhand

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I feel like they saved that for the BIG RE-TWIST with the entia being telethia which were just invented by zanza

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Don't worry about sidequests that don't have a little clock in the quest display; that's your indicator that it's time limited by plot lockouts. Where you are right now, your combat options are still very limited, so try sticking with it a bit longer and don't burn yourself out on sidequests. There are way more abilities to combine, skills to cross-link, and party members who play differently.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

All the combat themes were great, and the mechon fight music had bits that were wonderfully Chrono Trigger.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I hope you can use a Shulk amiibo to inexplicably play as Shulk instead of Blandy McNovoice.

want to get a shulk amiibo

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Terper posted:

The main character is silent, the only voice lines are when they call out attacks/other stuff in battle.

Is this confirmed? :(

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That's really lovely because Shulk was awesome.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I think Irregular Bounce is the only song in the game that I don't like, and I was really bummed out whenever I got it over Mechanical Rhythm.

Obviously, if you haven't beaten XBC don't look any of the tracks to avoid having OST spoilers.

The only bad music is the Ether Mine.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

quote:

To those concerned about the speed of loading from the disc, I recommend the download version. Of course, we are tuning everything we can to reduce the wait times on the disc version and we're also consulting Nintendo to see if we can insert a mechanism for loading essential data from the device itself.

So, could that be opening the door for "installations" of disc-based games on the Wii U?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The faces look even worse compared to everything else because everything else looks good. I hope I can put Gunban in my party.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Louisgod posted:

charming British accents, down to earth rationale of the characters, and extremely solid script

I'm afraid of losing these things :( I hope the characters appear competent in this one.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm cool with silly lyrics but I don't want them in the majority of my encounters, I'd rather it be like with Revengeance and have the lyrics only kick in on big moments.

This would be perfectly acceptable

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Baal posted:

It's the best on the Wii because the Wii had two jrpgs and the one that isn't Xenoblade is completely forgettable

Didn't xenoblade literally come out as one of three RPGs released at the same time? Like that was a big deal about its release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

My friend had TMNT2. There wasn't a Pizza Hut within seven hours of where we lived :v:

I thought that was the weirdest game related promotion for years but yet it made perfect sense

• Locked thread