Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So, it's easy to think of cult movies. A film that came out, and wasn't appreciated right away but is looked at in modern times as a lot more than the sum of its parts. It's harder to think of a lot of games that fall into the category: hated at first, liked more as time goes on. So I wanted to see what ya'll picks were for cult games.

Kotor 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. When I was younger, I just thought these games were knockoff sequels, not even from the original developers that made the first games. So I really kind of brushed them off. It wasn't until much later when I heard from others who thought so highly of both games that I gave them a closer look and they really shined since I originally played them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oep9Gyt-bQw

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Silent Hill has cults in it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Would SWAT 4 count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG9SuThweW4

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I predict we're going to get a lot of people posting their video-game equivalent of unpopular opinion puffin, but...

Alpha Protocol seems like a textbook example of this. It didn't do so hot because it was apparently very buggy on release and got loudly slammed by most every critic I read at the time, so I didn't touch it for years. I bought it about two years ago, after all the patches and whatnot were sorted, and it's really a great game in a lot of ways (with also more than a few silly parts that hold it back, like how pistols are insanely good and make all other weapons useless by comparison), and I think the SA forums would largely agree.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
New Vegas is not even 4 years old, it's weird to see you say "when I was younger" about a game that is that recent. Also, it was a pretty popular and successful game so I don't think you could call it a cult hit at all.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Game started life buggy as poo poo, but now after 10 years of fan patches, it's mostly playable! And awesome, but it's really crazy to think that it's been that long and the fan patches still bug out, even when they're only working on the base game and not trying to add anything else.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
All of these are games from the former Black Isle crew. KotOR2, Arcanum, VtM: Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas. All own, all buggy at various points in their product life (up to currently, in some cases).

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Apoplexy posted:

All of these are games from the former Black Isle crew. KotOR2, Arcanum, VtM: Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas. All own, all buggy at various points in their product life (up to currently, in some cases).

Fair enough.

Jet Set Radio and Earthbound both had disappointing release sales, but have since been recognized as some of the greatest games of their generation (and all time, in the case of Earthbound).

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
New Vegas had a rough initial reception, but it sold over 5 million units and is very well-regarded today. I'm not sure it's a cult hit.

Maybe King of Dragon Pass? It supposedly only sold 8,000 copies in its first run, but it's a fascinating, truly unique game that combines village management with hundreds of detailed, crazy choose-your-own-adventure event chains. You guide a clan to prominence, take on crazy vision quests, and try to form a tribe. I'm surprised the game hasn't been imitated more - it's such an interesting premise and the choose-your-own-adventure events add so much flavor and emergent story. The game has somewhat of a cult following today, though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Star Control 2

I bought a 3DO for this game

iminay
Dec 18, 2012
Would have to say dwarf fortress

Not only is it insanely hard to get into, even after hours of playing it I still wasn't sure I liked it. Has a large following though.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

Buggy as poo poo (Now mostly ironed out. Mostly.) hard as hell, does not hold your hand at all and still pretty janky, but it has the most amazing atmosphere I've ever experienced. Still getting mods after seven years, and has a 'spiritual' sequel coming out soon. Ish.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Deadly Premonition is probably the best example from last gen. A good amount of reviewers utterly lambasted it, IGN gave it a 2/10. But opinion turned around quickly as people realized how much goofy, sincere charm the game had and word of mouth on the Internet spread. Ultimately, because it was a budget title that was running for 20 bucks new, enough interest was drummed up that it actually made a nice profit.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Nox. Nobody has still made a game worthy of calling its succesor too.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

doctor iono posted:

New Vegas had a rough initial reception, but it sold over 5 million units and is very well-regarded today. I'm not sure it's a cult hit.

Maybe King of Dragon Pass? It supposedly only sold 8,000 copies in its first run, but it's a fascinating, truly unique game that combines village management with hundreds of detailed, crazy choose-your-own-adventure event chains. You guide a clan to prominence, take on crazy vision quests, and try to form a tribe. I'm surprised the game hasn't been imitated more - it's such an interesting premise and the choose-your-own-adventure events add so much flavor and emergent story. The game has somewhat of a cult following today, though.

I've never heard of that one. I'll have to check it out. It sound interesting. The only problem I run into trying to play older games is when I can't handle the complicated UIs that many older games have.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Iretep posted:

Nox. Nobody has still made a game worthy of calling its succesor too.

Magicka is basically what Nox always wanted to be, including being able to play the game with a controller and a combo system for magic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spikeguy posted:

I've never heard of that one. I'll have to check it out. It sound interesting. The only problem I run into trying to play older games is when I can't handle the complicated UIs that many older games have.

Don't worry, New Vegas has a pretty decent breakdown of what all the skills and stuff do when you make your character at the beginning.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Urban Assault. A good, hard RTS/FPS game with a weird story involving the input of the six dead failures who used to have your job. A bit like the old Battlezone games, came out a little before BZ2, was better in some respects imo.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 12, 2014

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
God Hand was a great cult game. Good game play and a kooky story along with some terrible sales!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7jJ3sjbp2M

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anachronox is one of the best RPGs ever.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 12, 2014

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I remember slowly finding out about Total Annihilation from my friends.

At the time, everyone [generalisation] thought command and conquer style RTS games were the poo poo, and this one was very different from the formula.

I can't say, personally, that it has been surpassed since.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I don't know if it even has enough fans to be called a cult title, but Gladius for the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube was my poo poo. It's a strategy-RPG made by LucasArts that had you managing a team of gladiators in a totally-not-the-Roman-empire (but also with magic) setting. There were a whole lot of character types, most of which were part of a rock-paper-scissors style weight class arrangement, and every fighter leveled up individually and had their own equipment. Instead of purely dice-rolls for attacking, most attacks had some kind of meter (timing, button-mash, or simon says) that had three possible outcomes: a normal hit which can miss but usually doesn't, a crit that can't miss and does extra damage, or the "you hosed up" special - probably misses, and does negligible damage even if it doesn't. The variety in character classes allowed for a bunch of different playstyles and multiple ways to build the same class, too. It's a real shame it didn't do well enough to get a sequel.

...I think I'm gonna pop that disc into my old PS2 soon.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Spikeguy posted:

I've never heard of [Kings of Dragon Pass]. I'll have to check it out. It sound interesting. The only problem I run into trying to play older games is when I can't handle the complicated UIs that many older games have.
Can I chime in and say it's a bit crap unless you grew up with it.

I tried it out from GoG, but it plays (maybe unsurprisingly) like a kid's game, and the UI is gash.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I always felt the Gothic games fit this. The first one got pretty good reviews even in North America but the second game got some undeservedly lovely reviews, particularly one by some loving idiot at Gamespy which amounted to "I can't play this game like Diablo and I keep dying this game sucks!!!!!!!! :qq:"

I kind of see where the lukewarm reviews are coming from though, as the games are fairly buggy and the third game was an absolute disaster when it was first released. The community patches all fix a fuckton of problems, but all three games have had pretty awful crashing and weird bugs that burya really quirky and challenging RPG series. The Nameless Hero being a dick to so many NPCs just never gets old. :allears:

The first game also had really awful controls for combat.

edit: gently caress, I remembered the next Risen game, Gothic's spiritual successor of sorts, is going to be out soon, might be time to make a Risen/Gothic megathread as I remember the last one was pretty popular for a while

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Omikron: The Nomad Soul is a weird game by David Cage with David Bowie as David Bowie. Gameplay wise it's a lot more of a "game" than Cage's other offerings, and the art direction is unlike any other game.

It's been on gog for a while, for :10bux: I think. Pick it up if it goes on sale.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
I wonder if "cult" could be expanded to include games that may be critically lauded yet only retain small (but very loyal) fanbases. In this case I think most entries into the roguelike genre--barring more popularized titles like Binding of Isaac--would classify as cult games. I know that since discovering them I pretty much only play roguelikes any more and I'll talk your ear off about them given a chance.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Bukowski posted:

Omikron: The Nomad Soul is a weird game by David Cage with David Bowie as David Bowie. Gameplay wise it's a lot more of a "game" than Cage's other offerings, and the art direction is unlike any other game.

It's been on gog for a while, for :10bux: I think. Pick it up if it goes on sale.

Who the gently caress remembers Omikron fondly? Please don't pay for it, it's got no redeeming qualities and the art direction is an attempt at any 90s cyberpunk fmv with quake 2 rendering technology.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Blister posted:

Magicka is basically what Nox always wanted to be, including being able to play the game with a controller and a combo system for magic.

Compleatly forgot Magicka. Of course its still missing a warrior class so I can harpoon and punch puny mages to death.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Exmond posted:

God Hand was a great cult game. Good game play and a kooky story along with some terrible sales!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7jJ3sjbp2M

God Hand's treatment has been nothing but loving criminal

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

King of Dragon Pass

Get it on the iOS store and read the SA thread in games. It's actually updated and easy to learn/play, and it even plays well on a generation or two old iPhone really well (back to the iPhone 3s or 4).

It's a great game and it certainly fits the 'cult' classic ideal.

Don't try to play the GOG version though. It's kinda clunky. Plus the iOS version has new content!

Edit: I want to say it is coming out or recently came out on Android too.

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If you regard a cult game as extending to those with considerable success, I think that The Elder Scrolls series all have a phenomenal following.

Phantasy Star Online has had a pretty good following (although personally I like PS I - IV a whole lot more). There was definitely a certain charm to PSO I for the Dreamcast, one of the first (the first?) console that could go online. Playing with others was really interesting.

Xenogears and Final Fantasy VII have rather large followings, although I can't really fathom why in both cases.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
JET SET RADIOOOOOOOO-

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Gonna chime in and mention Wonderboy 3: The Dragons Trap by Westone for the sega master system (there is a game gear port too, I haven't tried it though). It was the first "metroidvania" game I ever played and is still one of my favourites. Throughout the game you take a bunch of animal forms, buy and find new gear and spells, and explore a cool open world. Seems relatively popular here in Australia and in Europe but a lot of Americans never played it, I guess the SMS was no way near as popular as the NES. It also has one of the best soundtracks on the system!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

On3moresoul posted:

Xenogears and Final Fantasy VII have rather large followings, although I can't really fathom why in both cases.

Because FF7 was the last good entry in the JRPG genre until Persona 3

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cannot Find Server posted:

Star Control 2

I bought a 3DO for this game

Yeah, SC2 3DO is my favorite game of all time. It's been ported to PC and is free, so anyone who hasn't tried it really should. Unfortunately, they can't legally provide the intro/ending movies (copyright is held by Crystal Dynamics) but it will play them directly off the original 3DO CD if you have one. Everyone else just gets the original PC intro/ending.

And they had to change the name to The Ur-Quan Masters because Toys for Bob doesn't own the Star Control name. Other features of the new version are that the new team fixed several bugs from the 3DO version and added online multiplayer.

Toys for Bob stated awhile back that they were interested in making a real SC3 (the currently available SC3 (which is really bad) is basically fan fiction and not considered canon). However, when they said this it waa before they hit a gold mine with Skylanders so I have to believe that they'll be completely occupied with that franchise for many years.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net

Accordion Man posted:

Deadly Premonition is probably the best example from last gen. A good amount of reviewers utterly lambasted it, IGN gave it a 2/10. But opinion turned around quickly as people realized how much goofy, sincere charm the game had and word of mouth on the Internet spread. Ultimately, because it was a budget title that was running for 20 bucks new, enough interest was drummed up that it actually made a nice profit.

I loved Deadly Premonition but I can see why others don't. My love of all things Twin Peaks enables me to see past all the gameplay flaws, as well as all the nasty glitches that don't seem like will ever be fixed. I love it because it's basically Twin Peaks: The Game. You play a character who is essentially Dale Cooper (quirky FBI agent looking into the murder of a young woman who is loved by most but has a secret dark side, has an obsession with coffee, likes to ramble about strange things, and constantly speaks to someone who isn't actually there). The town is charming on the surface and the residents all have their quirks but there's a hidden darkness underlying everything. From what I've heard, they actually had to change a few things because of a cease and desist order from the Twin Peaks rightsholders.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Does FF: Mystic Quest count? I actually like that game.

What about Brainlord, for some reason people seem to really dislike Brainlord but I think it's because the game is a puzzle/action game that is actually hard. It's basically a Zelda game made for the roguelike crowd and unlike Zelda it actually has puzzles that aren't patronizingly easy (even as a kid I thought Zelda games were really easy). I never bought the argument that a lot of people have that Alcahest is a similar but better game.

In a similar vein, all the Quintet action/rpg games for SNES. They have reached some acclaim these days but when they came out sold poorly and were pretty much unknown (so par the course for all non-FF Snes RPGs).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Does FF: Mystic Quest count? I actually like that game.

Yeah, Mystic Quest was fun for what it was. A short JRPG for when you don't want to invest like two weeks into beating one. Plus the soundtrack worked really well in its favor and helped make up for the flaws in the game.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Star Citizen is pretty much a cult for a non-existent "perfect" game that will be all things to all gamers that will always be arriving in "two weeks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Walrus Pete posted:

I don't know if it even has enough fans to be called a cult title, but Gladius for the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube was my poo poo. It's a strategy-RPG made by LucasArts that had you managing a team of gladiators in a totally-not-the-Roman-empire (but also with magic) setting. There were a whole lot of character types, most of which were part of a rock-paper-scissors style weight class arrangement, and every fighter leveled up individually and had their own equipment. Instead of purely dice-rolls for attacking, most attacks had some kind of meter (timing, button-mash, or simon says) that had three possible outcomes: a normal hit which can miss but usually doesn't, a crit that can't miss and does extra damage, or the "you hosed up" special - probably misses, and does negligible damage even if it doesn't. The variety in character classes allowed for a bunch of different playstyles and multiple ways to build the same class, too. It's a real shame it didn't do well enough to get a sequel.

...I think I'm gonna pop that disc into my old PS2 soon.

I'm so glad someone else remembers Gladius. It didn't have much to the overworld or story but the customization and variety in battles were off the chart for that time. If you went out of your way to get every secret character you could end up with a party of minotaur, undead necromancer, yeti, all sorts of crazy poo poo. Really great game, deserved a sequel.

• Locked thread