Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Spikeguy posted:

I've never heard of [King of Dragon Pass]. I'll have to check it out. It sound interesting. The only problem I run into trying to play older games is when I can't handle the complicated UIs that many older games have.

jBrereton posted:

Can I chime in and say it's a bit crap unless you grew up with it.

I tried it out from GoG, but it plays (maybe unsurprisingly) like a kid's game, and the UI is gash.

The iOS version has a modern redesigned UI. It's a great way to play it, particularly on iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Star Citizen is pretty much a cult for a non-existent "perfect" game that will be all things to all gamers that will always be arriving in "two weeks".

Yeah that game that's already partially out clearly doesn't exist

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
nvm

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
And so builds my theory that no thread can escape Star Citizen being mentioned at least once regardless of the original topic.

For cult games, I'd say Arcanum fits the bill. Even though I'd consider the game borderline unplayable, it had enough potential and good aspects to it that people still talk about it despite its failure commercially and critically.

Also; Panzer Dragoon. Specifically the RPG, but at this point probably the shooters too. Despite having passed nearly completely out of the general gaming consciousness, some people are still all about it. Like me, because I'm a loser who never quite got over having a Saturn while all his friends had Playstations.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 13, 2014

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Star Tropics take the Zelda Dungeon and overworld formula add in Hawaiian mysticism and space alien and a kick rear end sound track you get Star Tropics one of my favorite NES games that has enough of a cult following that they gave it a Virtual Console release complete with its own special manual that like the map from the original game had to be dunked in water to reveal the code to get further into the game.

Bucky O' Hare for the NES. Its a drat good platformer that has multiple characters that you can switch out at anytime the ability to choose what stage to play when and upgrade mechanics.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TerminalBlue posted:

Also; Panzer Dragoon. Specifically the RPG, but at this point probably the shooters too. Despite having passed nearly completely out of the general gaming consciousness, some people are still all about it. Like me, because I'm a loser who never quite got over having a Saturn while all his friends had Playstations.

A bunch of Saturn games fit the bill here. I really prefer free-walking beat-em-ups to the layer system in Guardian Heroes, but it's still a fun game and I was glad to see it get a re-release on systems people actually own recently.

Several Square-Enix games that would've otherwise been cult hits or total retail failures just barely crested the wave of mainstream success, and Vagrant Story was one of them. It's a weird, difficult action RPG full of bad block puzzles and a story that's like a fantasy Metal Gear Solid with Hamlet references that actually passingly relate to the game's themes. The game's critical reception ranged from effusive praise (it was the 3rd game ever to get a perfect score from Japan's Famitsu magazine) to harsh ribbing (Lowtax actually tore the game apart on the frontpage once), and I'm confident it would've been a perfect example of a cult game if Square hadn't been riding high on FF7's success.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Haruharuharuko posted:

Star Tropics take the Zelda Dungeon and overworld formula add in Hawaiian mysticism and space alien and a kick rear end sound track you get Star Tropics one of my favorite NES games that has enough of a cult following that they gave it a Virtual Console release complete with its own special manual that like the map from the original game had to be dunked in water to reveal the code to get further into the game.

That map was the "codec frequency on the back of the case" of its day.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
STALKER, Dark Souls, Postal, Godhand, Pikmen, DwarfFortress and Jet Set Radio are good examples of games that have a cult following that exists beyond their mainstream popularity, but those are just the few out of many.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Arx Fatalis is very much a cult game. A first person RPG that takes place in an underground cave complex inhabited by humans, trolls, dwarves, and a variety of other creatures after the sun died out. It's not huge in terms of raw space, but its environments are really, really detailed with all sorts of secrets and it's just immersive as gently caress despite some really hammy dialogue and voice acting. I'd almost say it's kind of a very condensed Morrowind. If you haven't played it then you should totally get it from GOG.com for 6 bux because it owns.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Cannot Find Server posted:

Star Control 2

I bought a 3DO for this game

This. A thousand times this.

I wasn't really of any sort of age to buy a 3DO when this was released (nor was my family ever wealthy enough to afford the machine). I was also too young when the game was first released to ever appreciate it, either (we also didn't have a PC at the time).

In some bygone era, PC Gamer Magazine actually had the entire Star Control 2 game on one of the free CDs that came with the magazine. At the time, my mom's boyfriend had managed to procure salvage some old PCs that had 75 mHz processors. I had to learn DOS in order to use the program properly, but it was quite simply the best game I had ever played at that time. I still would probably consider it the best game I've ever played, now that I think about it.

King of Internet
Nov 16, 2013

High King Internet of Internet

Spikeguy posted:

Fallout: New Vegas. When I was younger,

What

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Jet Set Radio

I would kill for a new game in this series, or at least an HD port of JSR Future.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder

you know, like 4 years younger

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Remember those bad movie-point-click hybrids that came out somewhere in the mid-90s for PC? Well, Phantasmagoria is one of the only good examples of an instance in which that worked. It's basically a video game version of "The Shining" and it's both campy and creepy as hell. I played it twice as a kid and found it absolutely fascinating and terrifying at the same time. There's even a chase scene at the end wherein there are literally dozens of ways it can play out, depending on where you choose to go, what you pick up, ect. Here's a video which sums it up pretty well: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s00Gd4WsYlc)

I'm pretty sure it's Abandonware now but the file size is a tad too large to merit a download from me. The sequel kind of sucked however and was about computer nerds and aliens.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 13, 2014

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
The Forest is a really awesome game where you get attacked by a cannibal cult of naked crazies who do horrible things with tennis balls.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Dwarf Fortress, which is a pretty fun simulator game where you indirectly manage a group of manic-depressive alcoholics as they try and fail to build a colony.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I thought of cult games as something having a small but very loyal and dedicated following. Hardcore wargames like Combat Mission came to mind when looking at the thread title.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Motherfucking OTOGI

This game was like Devil May Cry with some Shadow of The Colossus. The second in the series was something like eight playable unique characters. The first game used your health like a timer (Same as in Shinobi) but wasn't as aggressive about killing you for missing a step. One of the people you can play as is a corpse attached to a wheel that throws the wheel at demons, casts spells from the spokes and is a lovely rear end in a top hat about everything.
It was gorgeous and challenging and I have no clue why it didn't get a modern sequel.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Captain Mog posted:

Remember those bad movie-point-click hybrids that came out somewhere in the mid-90s for PC? Well, Phantasmagoria is one of the only good examples of an instance in which that worked. It's basically a video game version of "The Shining" and it's both campy and creepy as hell. I played it twice as a kid and found it absolutely fascinating and terrifying at the same time. There's even a chase scene at the end wherein there are literally dozens of ways it can play out, depending on where you choose to go, what you pick up, ect. Here's a video which sums it up pretty well: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s00Gd4WsYlc)

I'm pretty sure it's Abandonware now but the file size is a tad too large to merit a download from me. The sequel kind of sucked however and was about computer nerds and aliens.

You can get it at GOG right now. http://www.gog.com/game/phantasmagoria It goes on sale every once in a while for I think like 4 dollars.

And I say this as someone who loved this game as a teenager, those are some rose colored glasses. It has not aged well at all, it's like playing/watching an extremely low budget soap opera with some horror tones.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leper Residue posted:

You can get it at GOG right now. http://www.gog.com/game/phantasmagoria It goes on sale every once in a while for I think like 4 dollars.

And I say this as someone who loved this game as a teenager, those are some rose colored glasses. It has not aged well at all, it's like playing/watching an extremely low budget soap opera with some horror tones.

Lowtax did an LP of it and even that was difficult to get through.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If we're defining a cult classic as something derided on release that found a dedicated audience later, I would add Luigi's Mansion to that list.

It was largely dismissed as a glorified tech demo when it came out, being a small and relatively simple game that didn't launch the Gamecube as bombastically as Super Mario 64 had launched the N64. I think it was only after the Gamecube gained an arguably respectable library of its own that people went back and looked at Luigi's Mansion on its own terms. It's a fun, clever little adventure game with a unique combat mechanic and a bunch of interesting secrets to discover.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was announced to much excitement a couple years back, which I think speaks to how much the game has grown on people since it came out. I always liked it, and I'm glad it got a fair shake down the line.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Blister posted:

Who the gently caress remembers Omikron fondly? Please don't pay for it, it's got no redeeming qualities and the art direction is an attempt at any 90s cyberpunk fmv with quake 2 rendering technology.

Thank you for saving me the effort. Omikron was kind of cool and had a lot of stuff to play with... up until the end of the first section, after which interactivity drops to nil and the body-hopping thing turns into nothing but a gimmick. It's the game that taught me never to play anything from Quantic Dream ever again.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Don't try to play the GOG version though. It's kinda clunky. Plus the iOS version has new content!

Yeah, the GOG version of KODP is the original running in a wrapper, and the original is itself running in some weird virtual machine that may or may not play nicely with your PC.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Kohan: Ahriman's Gift was the best RTS that nobody played. The graphics weren't anything to write home about, but the RPG elements and customizable squad-based units was a concept that didn't really hit the mainstream until the Dawn of War and Company of Heroes games over 5 years later.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rocketlex posted:

If we're defining a cult classic as something derided on release that found a dedicated audience later, I would add Luigi's Mansion to that list.

It was largely dismissed as a glorified tech demo when it came out, being a small and relatively simple game that didn't launch the Gamecube as bombastically as Super Mario 64 had launched the N64. I think it was only after the Gamecube gained an arguably respectable library of its own that people went back and looked at Luigi's Mansion on its own terms. It's a fun, clever little adventure game with a unique combat mechanic and a bunch of interesting secrets to discover.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was announced to much excitement a couple years back, which I think speaks to how much the game has grown on people since it came out. I always liked it, and I'm glad it got a fair shake down the line.
I always liked Luigi's Mansion but one thing that makes like it more in retrospect is that its kind of a light-hearted parody of survival horror games.

For another cult classic there's Ghost Trick. Developed by the creator of the Phoenix Wright series, Ghost Trick is a point and click adventure/puzzle game where you play as a ghost who has to investigate his own murder. What really makes the game is its genuinely great writing with likable characters and a plot filled with twists and turns that manages to tie everything together in a consistent and satisfying way in the end. Unlike Phoenix Wright, which while not super popular is still well received and financially successful, Ghost Trick was just brushed to the wayside and forgotten. It's garnered its fair share of fans over the years though and its become quite beloved.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Really, nobody, Phantom Dust?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Orv posted:

Really, nobody, Phantom Dust?

What's that?

EDIT: Oh, google is my friend. Okay. I guess there's a new one coming out for the xbone, too.

Also:

Spikeguy posted:

Kotor 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. When I was younger, I just thought these games were knockoff sequels, not even from the original developers that made the first games. So I really kind of brushed them off. It wasn't until much later when I heard from others who thought so highly of both games that I gave them a closer look and they really shined since I originally played them.

Hah! Betcha didn't know Fallout: New Vegas was actually made by some of the people who made the original 2D Fallout games (and now work at Obsidian, who made KOTOR2 and FO:NV) and is a direct sequel to FO2. Fallout 3 was made by a completely different developer and is practically an unrelated east coast franchise reboot. Despite the fact that Obsidian do have a reputation for making knockoff sequels of games, in this case it you could say the opposite happened.

Runa fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 13, 2014

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

The Tomba seriesfor PS1. It was well received at the time by critics but sales were fairly limited. The Yakuza seriesagain another series that has reviewed well and has a following but sales in the West were underwhelming and has resulted in newer entries not being localized.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Kohan: Ahriman's Gift was the best RTS that nobody played. The graphics weren't anything to write home about, but the RPG elements and customizable squad-based units was a concept that didn't really hit the mainstream until the Dawn of War and Company of Heroes games over 5 years later.

I'm not a fan of RTS games and when my first wife bought me this game as a gift, I played it out of politeness. I was surprised at how enjoyable it was and how it seemed a lot more realistic than most RTS games of the day, where instead of mining resources you held castles and collected income and resources to maintain your customized units.

The AI was also surprisingly good. I remember a ways into the game, where I felt like I was comfortable with the mechanics and I could exploit the system to build overpowered units, I was on a map where there was a pass that defended my territory and I felt like I had figured out a safe way to win that level. The enemy had somewhat weak hero-type units but had the ability to create skeleton armies that were really weak but cost 0 maintenance. I had my overpowered hero units guarding the pass and I knew the AI had no chance of fighting them while they were defending on rough terrain. The AI moves it's stronger units near mine but does not attack...I'm thinking that the AI is pretty smart for doing this, but then it gets stupid by sending wave after wave of the cheap weak units against my heroes...this was utterly pointless, they could easily defend that position against stronger units and heal faster than they were hurt, these skeletons weren't even capable of hurting my heroes to start with. I'm disappointed with the glitchy AI that is smart enough not to engage me with it's better units but wastes time in an endless loop of sending free units at me...until the previously ignored morale meter on my elite units wears out from fighting constantly for days and my army breaks and leaves their position, where they are immediately attacked in their weakened and unfortified state by the enemy units waiting nearby.

Orv
May 4, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

What's that?

EDIT: Oh, google is my friend. Okay. I guess there's a new one coming out for the xbone, too.

It's just an HD version of the original sadly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

...! posted:

From what I've heard, they actually had to change a few things because of a cease and desist order from the Twin Peaks rightsholders.

IIRC, back when the game was called Rainy Woods, instead of being Twin Peaks: Japan Flavored it was more like Actually Literally Twin Peaks: The Game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Orv posted:

It's just an HD version of the original sadly.

That's still pretty cool especially if they can trim a little off the tutorial.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The reason the HD rerelease is a big deal is that the main draw of Phantom Dust was the multiplayer which you cannot play anymore because microsoft killed xbox live for original xbox games.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

gradenko_2000 posted:

I dunno if I'd call Kohan a cult game so much as just forgotten. At the time it sold well and was wildly popular, practically every video game mag seemed to be tripping over itself to give Immortal Sovereigns all the GotY awards they could come up with.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

Phantom Dust HD

WHAT
Uuuugh I didn't want to buy an xbone :negative:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who's ever heard of Netstorm: Islands at War.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cpcU37Vpwk

Orv
May 4, 2011

You were until like two months ago when Giant Bomb showed it off on one of their streams. :v:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
How about Two Worlds?

Panned by critics for pretty much everything. It's so laughably bad but still kept me and many others hooked for days. The unforgettable voice acting and writing, hilarious horse control, game-breaking item stacking and alchemy, overuse of bloom / lens flare... Man I loving love this game and am seriously considering buying a used xbox360 just to play it from my couch

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Orv posted:

You were until like two months ago when Giant Bomb showed it off on one of their streams. :v:

Oh. Well, good for them. :unsmith:

Magic_Anthrax_Ninja
May 10, 2009
Little big adventure, otherwise called relentless.

This game is old as poo poo and graphics wise is really quite dated but has a great soundtrack and is quite
a compelling quest type game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A huge number of Dreamcast games fall into this category.

Cannon Spike: A fun as hell top down shooter style game with a bunch of random Capcom characters including Arthur from Ghosts and Goblins, Cammy from Street Fighter, and Mega Man

Illbleed: One of the first major horror games to emphasize survival, and exploration with almost no combat, kind of like Silent Hill but set in a demented fun house.

Maken X: FPS where the S stands for sword fighting. Anime as gently caress and tons of branching in the storyline for great replayability. The player was the magical sword "spirit", Maken, so you could jump to certain new characters to play as with completely different weapons/styles of fighting.

Omikron: Really, really strange game, sort of a future dystopia detective game. Featuring David Cage before he got all pretentious and up his own rear end. He had some help on the story and music from David Bowie, to give you some insight into the potential weirdness of the game. On Steam for $10

Record of Lodoss War: A Diablo like ARPG designed for being played with a controller. Features characters and settings from the early 90s classic fantasy anime of the same name. Really great combat, interesting setting to explore, plus you can fight a dragon.

• Locked thread