Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Magic_Anthrax_Ninja posted:

Little big adventure, otherwise called relentless.

This game is old as poo poo and graphics wise is really quite dated but has a great soundtrack and is quite
a compelling quest type game.

Balls hard too, from what I remember.

From the same year, Ecstatica. Fixed camera, third-person horrorish adventure game, much like the original Alone in the Dark games, but all of the characters are animated with gradient-shaded circles and ellipses. Also balls hard and inscrutably weird, like the AITD games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Does FF: Mystic Quest count? I actually like that game.

You bet your rear end it does. It's basically a parody of Final Fantasy games, right down to being actually good.

Skilleddk posted:

How about Two Worlds?

Panned by critics for pretty much everything. It's so laughably bad but still kept me and many others hooked for days. The unforgettable voice acting and writing, hilarious horse control, game-breaking item stacking and alchemy, overuse of bloom / lens flare... Man I loving love this game and am seriously considering buying a used xbox360 just to play it from my couch

Two Worlds is just the best. The sequel, like the Resident Evil movies, is not as good because it gets more competent. In the original you can kill the final boss within five minutes of starting, and the ending cutscene plays and everything. They meant for some dragon enemies to be completely impossible to kill without being ridiculously overlevelled or something, but if you keep hitting it for about ninety minutes, you can still kill them. It's the best.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Haruharuharuko posted:

Star Tropics take the Zelda Dungeon and overworld formula add in Hawaiian mysticism and space alien and a kick rear end sound track you get Star Tropics one of my favorite NES games that has enough of a cult following that they gave it a Virtual Console release complete with its own special manual that like the map from the original game had to be dunked in water to reveal the code to get further into the game.

This poo poo was my jam. I remember getting it when I was very young. And even though I couldn't read, I'd get my dad to read all the text for me because I didn't want to miss anything. It took me years to beat this game, because of that loving graveyard level with the secret door that if you missed you'd go to the beginning of the dungeon. And then there was that piano puzzle that you had to have a basic understanding of music to get past. My parents actually had to work it out on pen and paper to figure it out. Then of course the note part. Oh man, this is definitely a cult hit for me, even if it's just me and you making up the fan base.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does Pathologic count? I mean that game was a huge critical success.

In Russia.

Bitcoin420
Oct 30, 2013
Dark Chronicle/Dark Cloud 2. Bummer that they never brought it to PSN, game didn't get half of the credit it deserved imo

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Drox Operative and other games by the same studio fit this nicely.

They are basically all action rpgs(Diablo-likes) but with extensive systems that manage the world state. Things like factions competing for power with each other and you are able to take missions on behalf of any of them to tip the scales, although even if you don't engage one way or the other the power balances will change over time as they are autonomous agents.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Does FF: Mystic Quest count? I actually like that game.

This and Evermore were awesome, it perplexed me as a child when I got online and saw people bashing them, until I figured out they hated them for being American-made games not developed in ~glorious Nippon~ and that's how I learned about otakus and weeaboos :3:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Shenmue, based on the few irrational people like myself would buy a system solely for Shenmue 3. And that includes a bone.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

IIRC, back when the game was called Rainy Woods, instead of being Twin Peaks: Japan Flavored it was more like Actually Literally Twin Peaks: The Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

I think it was a change for the better, because David Young Henning looks like a generic protagonist unlike the delightfully weird and weird-looking Francis Your Morgan. Also aside from him and a few details like the sheriff's facial hair pretty much every scene they show is identical to the final game so it probably wasn't that big a change.

Also somebody dug around in the game's files on PC and a lot of the Rainy Woods assets are still in the code (there are even signs in town in the game that still say Rainy Woods instead of Greenvale). According to the filenames the old men from the Rainy Woods trailer are elderly versions of Isaach and Isaiah Ingram, so them being replaced by the child versions of the twins in the finale game isn't really much of a change.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 13, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

I think it was a change for the better, because David Young Henning looks like a generic prettyboy protagonist unlike the delightfully weird and weird-looking Francis Your Morgan. Also aside from him and a few details like the sheriff's facial hair pretty much every scene they show is identical to the final game so it probably wasn't that big a change.

Also somebody dug around in the game's files on PC and a lot of the Rainy Woods assets are still in the code (there are even signs in town in the game that still say Rainy Woods instead of Greenvale). According to the filenames the old men from the Rainy Woods trailer are elderly versions of Isaach and Isaiah Ingram, so them being replaced by the child versions of the twins in the finale game isn't really much of a change.

I stand corrected. I could've sworn there was an even earlier trailer though that looked much more different/rougher.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Thief 2: The Metal Age
Stealth gameplay before it was mainstream. HUGE open levels, lots of easter eggs and character. Multiple ways you can achieve your goals. Sadly the sequels have been...subpar, to be polite about it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

Thief 2: The Metal Age
Stealth gameplay before it was mainstream. HUGE open levels, lots of easter eggs and character. Multiple ways you can achieve your goals. Sadly the sequels have been...subpar, to be polite about it.

Wikipedia posted:

Thief II debuted high on the bestsellers list for PC games,[53] and its initial sales were better than those of its commercially successful predecessor.[59]

Yo dawg lemme tell you about this cult movie called Toy Story 2.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

This poo poo was my jam. I remember getting it when I was very young. And even though I couldn't read, I'd get my dad to read all the text for me because I didn't want to miss anything. It took me years to beat this game, because of that loving graveyard level with the secret door that if you missed you'd go to the beginning of the dungeon. And then there was that piano puzzle that you had to have a basic understanding of music to get past. My parents actually had to work it out on pen and paper to figure it out. Then of course the note part. Oh man, this is definitely a cult hit for me, even if it's just me and you making up the fan base.

Startropics was my favorite Nintendo game back in the day actually. I would sit down and spread the map out and play.

About the point where you save the dolphin, I spilled water on my map, queue young me's mind getting blown by discovering the secret message.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm so glad someone else remembers Gladius. It didn't have much to the overworld or story but the customization and variety in battles were off the chart for that time. If you went out of your way to get every secret character you could end up with a party of minotaur, undead necromancer, yeti, all sorts of crazy poo poo. Really great game, deserved a sequel.

I still have my old Xbox disc, just in case it ever becomes backwards compatible with the 360.

I'd even consider purchasing an Xbox One, if this could be played on it.

A PC release of the game would be beyond awesome.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Tom Clancy's ruthless.com was a pretty darn fun economic strategy game with a hilarious name and bizarre aesthetic.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Killer 7

I absolutely love Suda51 and this was the game that made me love his work. Its gameplay is very basic but that's not why it's worth playing. It's unique, bizarre, complex, and absolutely oozes style. Another great argument for games as art.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'm pretty sure Startopia qualifies. Did pretty badly from what I remember, the company got shut down while they were working on an xbox port to try to get more money out of it.

It's still an extremely unique experience with pretty great gameplay, even if the AI in no way knows how to design rooms correctly. Probably the best Dungeon-Keeper like game out there.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Everquest could probably go here. At the time it was revolutionary. In hindsight its janky, needlessy hard, and a terrible grind, but its also the precursor for pretty much all MMORPG's today, and it STILL has stuff coming out for it and the servers are still going- almost 15 years later.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Hbomberguy posted:

Two Worlds is just the best. The sequel, like the Resident Evil movies, is not as good because it gets more competent. In the original you can kill the final boss within five minutes of starting, and the ending cutscene plays and everything. They meant for some dragon enemies to be completely impossible to kill without being ridiculously overlevelled or something, but if you keep hitting it for about ninety minutes, you can still kill them. It's the best.

It is probably one of the stupidest and funniest games I ever played and it really is the best. I just wish the old videos showcasing all the broken poo poo in that game were still around, specifically the co'op vid with the Top Gun anthem.

The game included:

- The protagonist being a straight-up big mouth rear end in a top hat in the best way possible.
- A protagonist that REALLY enjoys killing things.
- Incredibly awkward conversations due in most part to the protagonist looking in all directions while talking as if trying to escape (probably to go kill more things). And also comically horrible voice acting.
- Scotch-taping a bunch of weapons together (complete with the scotch-taping sound) to create the ULTIMATE weapon that hits for disgaea-level numbers. You can make a wooden club that can kill dragons in 1 hit if you want.
- The most endearing poorly-designed bears you will ever see in your entire life.
- Co'op that basically boils down to how long you can talk to NPCs without your friend smacking them.
- Completely broken alchemy and magic systems to play with.

Despite all that the game still ran relatively well and wasn't a nightmare to get going by any means.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Killer 7

I absolutely love Suda51 and this was the game that made me love his work. Its gameplay is very basic but that's not why it's worth playing. It's unique, bizarre, complex, and absolutely oozes style. Another great argument for games as art.

Definitely. Although you could get a lot of enjoyment just from watching the cutscenes, which are very well directed and voiced, most of the seemingly arbitrary game mechanics end up being more important to the story than you might think.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Paper Lion posted:

God Hand's treatment has been nothing but loving criminal

God or demon? What am I?
It's time for me to choose my path
The power of my god hand
No evil doer will get past
Hand to hand or fist to fist
Kick your nuts or twist your wrist
God power keeps my pimp hand strong
So trust me all you won't last very long
Dragon kick your rear end into the milky way (milky way!)
Don't act like you don't like the ball buster (ball buster!)
-God Hand

Come on sequel get made, God Hands!

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
I think there are a lot of games like this actually. Games that are little appreciated but with dedicated audiences (I'm a part of):

Ring of Red
Resonance of Fate
Dragon Force
X-wing vs Tie Fighter
Jedi Outcast
Panzer Dragoon Saga

For me these are the match of any game in their genre.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

trashcangammy posted:

Jedi Outcast

Jedi Outcast had some of the best hit detection for a multiplayer sword game. It's sequel(Jedi Academy) figured no one liked the combat and super enlarged hit boxes and people would just script to crouch, spin, and swing just like in the movies.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
The scope for skill in the JK games was fantastic. I remember I played a 1v3 match against some RPers and won 89 to -3. They literally blew themselves up 3 more times than they killed me.

I dunno if it's appropriate for this thread but Ninja Gaiden is a mostly forgotten game now, with a really satisfying learning curve. Basically every beat em up ever made is a piece of poo poo compared to Ninja Gaiden.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

gay skull posted:

This and Evermore were awesome, it perplexed me as a child when I got online and saw people bashing them, until I figured out they hated them for being American-made games not developed in ~glorious Nippon~ and that's how I learned about otakus and weeaboos :3:

Mystic Quest isn't American made, it's made FOR Americans. Itls done by more or less the same team which made Final Fantasy Legend III though, I love the music for both LIII and MQ.

It's treated poorly for the fact that it's kind of an insult that it was so simplistic by comparison, when the reason it's dumbed down is because Square thought that kids might have trouble getting into big games like Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II (IV) so they made a kid-easy game. As for Evermore, it's just plain awesome, though I never heard anybody say otherwise personally, I've heard people prefer Mana over it, but not hate it.

As far as cult games, I guess I'd go with Space Quest or Legend of the Red Dragon

I'd also consider that Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath possibly both count.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 13, 2014

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
While it's an MMO, I'd put Eve Online in the 'Cult' category, it's never been nearly as successful as many other MMO's but it just keeps a strong core playerbase paying the subs.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I think Spec Ops: The Line might qualify. Not sure how well it did commercially but it certainly attracted a following.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

Does Pathologic count? I mean that game was a huge critical success.

In Russia.

Pathologic is pretty much the definition of "cult game" assuming the phrase works the same way as cult film.

There's supposed to be a retranslation project to make it actually an enjoyable, semi-comprehensible experience in English but the last I heard that was years ago and not making much progress.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy has the best usage of telekinesis in a video game and I actually hated the Force Unleashed games more because everyone talked about how amazing using The Force was but the game was a pale imitation of what Psi-Ops achieved.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
Pssst - ZX Spectrum. Audio tapes only (gently caress ROMs)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I would think Brutal Legend would count, great characters, awesome soundtrack, mediocre gameplay, and a single player campaign that was obviously cut because of time/budget problems.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Justin Godscock posted:

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy has the best usage of telekinesis in a video game and I actually hated the Force Unleashed games more because everyone talked about how amazing using The Force was but the game was a pale imitation of what Psi-Ops achieved.

God what I would give for a new game or even just an HD remaster, that poo poo was awesome. The coop was hilariously bad/fun too, one person controlled the body and the other controlled the mind, so you had this really rear end-backwards kind of cooperation that somehow worked just for being so funny. Either way, telekinesis surfing drive-bys were sweet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pathologic is pretty much the definition of "cult game" assuming the phrase works the same way as cult film.

There's supposed to be a retranslation project to make it actually an enjoyable, semi-comprehensible experience in English but the last I heard that was years ago and not making much progress.
It got abandoned, but word is that Ice Pick has been planning a Kickstarter campaign for a remake with a better translation and gameplay.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

The PS2 era is full of these kinds of games and I can't wait for indie developers to catch up to that. Robot Alchemical Drive is probably my favorite. Riding on a giant robot shoulder, throwing haymakers at Godzilla; thanks Japan.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

I found a copy of this at a local Ollie's (cheap discount store) in the early-mid 2000s for 2 dollars. Me and my brother loved it so much that we convinced 3 or 4 of our friends from school to go buy it too. Had a ton of fun with it, and some crazy multiplayer games. Took it to college even and continued to share it with people there. It had a very unique setting and gameplay with the tetris/rampart style bridges. It came with a really nice thick instruction manual with plenty of lore too.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Sardonik posted:

I'm pretty sure Startopia qualifies. Did pretty badly from what I remember, the company got shut down while they were working on an xbox port to try to get more money out of it.

It's still an extremely unique experience with pretty great gameplay, even if the AI in no way knows how to design rooms correctly. Probably the best Dungeon-Keeper like game out there.

This is exactly what I was about to post, so I'll fall back to the second Dungeon Keeper style game by ex-bullfrog devs which was Evil Genius. The only thing that game needed was more of it as sadly there are only two islands. There is an amount of replayability depending on how much you like bullshit secret agents and devising ever complicated spirals of traps to thwart their entry into your base.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I really liked Second Sight.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bakka bakka posted:

The PS2 era is full of these kinds of games and I can't wait for indie developers to catch up to that. Robot Alchemical Drive is probably my favorite. Riding on a giant robot shoulder, throwing haymakers at Godzilla; thanks Japan.
Another one I can think of is the first two Destroy All Humans which were trying to be that next big series like Ratchet and Clank or Sly Cooper. Shame they never reached the 80s or 90s though :smith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Cyborg Justice. This was an old school Sega Genesis game that never really made it big. I think it came out fairly early in the system's life. It also wasn't a complex game, it didn't have much of a story, and the AI was mediocre at best but what made it special was the insanity of the move set and how much nonsense you could get up to. It was damned hard to play just because of how many combinations there were but you have to respect a game where you could tear an enemy robot's arm of, beat it to death with it, then put it back together to bash it apart again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtiXaUU0I2U

I've met few people who have heard of the game but everybody that did, or that I introduced to it, just adored it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jastiger posted:

Everquest could probably go here. At the time it was revolutionary. In hindsight its janky, needlessy hard, and a terrible grind, but its also the precursor for pretty much all MMORPG's today, and it STILL has stuff coming out for it and the servers are still going- almost 15 years later.

Everquest very much doesn't go here. In no way shape or form is loving Everquest a "cult game." :wtc:

• Locked thread