Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Blister posted:

Who the gently caress remembers Omikron fondly? Please don't pay for it, it's got no redeeming qualities and the art direction is an attempt at any 90s cyberpunk fmv with quake 2 rendering technology.

Thank you for saving me the effort. Omikron was kind of cool and had a lot of stuff to play with... up until the end of the first section, after which interactivity drops to nil and the body-hopping thing turns into nothing but a gimmick. It's the game that taught me never to play anything from Quantic Dream ever again.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Don't try to play the GOG version though. It's kinda clunky. Plus the iOS version has new content!

Yeah, the GOG version of KODP is the original running in a wrapper, and the original is itself running in some weird virtual machine that may or may not play nicely with your PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Magic_Anthrax_Ninja posted:

Little big adventure, otherwise called relentless.

This game is old as poo poo and graphics wise is really quite dated but has a great soundtrack and is quite
a compelling quest type game.

Balls hard too, from what I remember.

From the same year, Ecstatica. Fixed camera, third-person horrorish adventure game, much like the original Alone in the Dark games, but all of the characters are animated with gradient-shaded circles and ellipses. Also balls hard and inscrutably weird, like the AITD games.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also it seemed like a lot at the time, but EQ actually had a fairly small playerbase during what people generally think of as its "peak" (launch through Planes of Power) compared to the numbers later MMO's would pull. IIRC Sony rarely released hard numbers, but one of the history of EQ things (I don't remember if it was a magazine article or what, it's been like ten years) found out that the peak amount of subs was like ~500,000 around the release of PoP. Sure a lot of games have soldiered on with much smaller bases, but that's still pretty small compared to the amount of influence the game would later have.

I think a better example of a "cult" MMO would be Shadowbane or City of Heroes.

Great thing is, this was back when people were convinced that there was a very definite ceiling on the number of potential MMO players, and that while there was a small percentage that would be interested in subbing to more than one at the same time, new games faced an uphill battle for subs. Then WoW came out and the industry poo poo itself.

I'd definitely agree with Shadowbane as a 'cult' MMO. It launched in a stripped-down state, suffered astonishing setbacks (like people finding the GM commands in the user client, or single guilds and alliances locking down entire servers), but people have been working doggedly at bringing a server emulator up to snuff for years.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

crikster posted:

I think this might just be a print out of Parappa the Rapper wikipedia articles? Whatever I think it's bizarre.

I looked the 'publisher' up. It's page-scraped Wikipedia articles, most of which won't have anything to do with Parappa.

Orv posted:

Everyone remembers it it's just awful.

The best parts of Shogo were letting a boss blow himself up by trying to shoot at me through five stories of parking garage, somehow loading into an on-foot level in mobile armor mode (and subsequently one-shotting everything by brushing up against them), and waving a Captain Claw doll around.

• Locked thread