Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

IIRC, back when the game was called Rainy Woods, instead of being Twin Peaks: Japan Flavored it was more like Actually Literally Twin Peaks: The Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

I think it was a change for the better, because David Young Henning looks like a generic protagonist unlike the delightfully weird and weird-looking Francis Your Morgan. Also aside from him and a few details like the sheriff's facial hair pretty much every scene they show is identical to the final game so it probably wasn't that big a change.

Also somebody dug around in the game's files on PC and a lot of the Rainy Woods assets are still in the code (there are even signs in town in the game that still say Rainy Woods instead of Greenvale). According to the filenames the old men from the Rainy Woods trailer are elderly versions of Isaach and Isaiah Ingram, so them being replaced by the child versions of the twins in the finale game isn't really much of a change.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

Thief 2: The Metal Age
Stealth gameplay before it was mainstream. HUGE open levels, lots of easter eggs and character. Multiple ways you can achieve your goals. Sadly the sequels have been...subpar, to be polite about it.

Wikipedia posted:

Thief II debuted high on the bestsellers list for PC games,[53] and its initial sales were better than those of its commercially successful predecessor.[59]

Yo dawg lemme tell you about this cult movie called Toy Story 2.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Killer 7

I absolutely love Suda51 and this was the game that made me love his work. Its gameplay is very basic but that's not why it's worth playing. It's unique, bizarre, complex, and absolutely oozes style. Another great argument for games as art.

I love Killer7 but it is kind of lovely that the past few "Suda 51" games have had little to no actual involvement from him. Taking anime bullshit and slapping a weird filter and a few non sequiturs on it doesn't make it the next Killer 7 *cough Killer is Dead cough*

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Under the vegetable posted:

That Xbox game Breakdown, where it's a first person punching game with a huge extensive complex FPKarate system and a sci-fi thriller plot. Then partway through you get superpowers and a glowing fist and start beating up buff bald naked alien guys. It was great.

2004 was a weird year because Half-Life 2 got tons of acclaim for its first-person narrative and physics after Breakdown and Psi-Ops had already beaten it to the punch on consoles.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Transcendence has been under development since 1995. I don't know what's more surprising: that it still isn't finished, that it's still being developed, the fact that it still has a fanbase, that it's actually a good game, or that an open-source roguelike/space combat game isn't more popular because those are three things that individually are enough to drive a devoted subset of PC gamers totally bonkers.

• Locked thread