Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Game started life buggy as poo poo, but now after 10 years of fan patches, it's mostly playable! And awesome, but it's really crazy to think that it's been that long and the fan patches still bug out, even when they're only working on the base game and not trying to add anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Apoplexy posted:

All of these are games from the former Black Isle crew. KotOR2, Arcanum, VtM: Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas. All own, all buggy at various points in their product life (up to currently, in some cases).

Fair enough.

Jet Set Radio and Earthbound both had disappointing release sales, but have since been recognized as some of the greatest games of their generation (and all time, in the case of Earthbound).

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

mastervj posted:

A cult game is a game that has a cult following? I mean, cool games are cool games, but why would you use the term 'cult game' for something other than:
a)...a game that is somewhat old and not that widely known AND
b)...has a small but dedicated, player base?

And I didn't choose my user name, although I guess right now it's like the worst user id I could have.

If we're going to be pedantic fuckwads about the whole affair, a "cult" anything is just something that has a passionate fanbase. Size is irrelevant; it's about the game (or movie, in the original use of the term) being played multiple times and serving as a point of cultural connection for it's fanbase as a social group.

So yes, for the people who still play it, Everquest is a cult game.

• Locked thread