Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Kohan: Ahriman's Gift was the best RTS that nobody played. The graphics weren't anything to write home about, but the RPG elements and customizable squad-based units was a concept that didn't really hit the mainstream until the Dawn of War and Company of Heroes games over 5 years later.

I'm not a fan of RTS games and when my first wife bought me this game as a gift, I played it out of politeness. I was surprised at how enjoyable it was and how it seemed a lot more realistic than most RTS games of the day, where instead of mining resources you held castles and collected income and resources to maintain your customized units.

The AI was also surprisingly good. I remember a ways into the game, where I felt like I was comfortable with the mechanics and I could exploit the system to build overpowered units, I was on a map where there was a pass that defended my territory and I felt like I had figured out a safe way to win that level. The enemy had somewhat weak hero-type units but had the ability to create skeleton armies that were really weak but cost 0 maintenance. I had my overpowered hero units guarding the pass and I knew the AI had no chance of fighting them while they were defending on rough terrain. The AI moves it's stronger units near mine but does not attack...I'm thinking that the AI is pretty smart for doing this, but then it gets stupid by sending wave after wave of the cheap weak units against my heroes...this was utterly pointless, they could easily defend that position against stronger units and heal faster than they were hurt, these skeletons weren't even capable of hurting my heroes to start with. I'm disappointed with the glitchy AI that is smart enough not to engage me with it's better units but wastes time in an endless loop of sending free units at me...until the previously ignored morale meter on my elite units wears out from fighting constantly for days and my army breaks and leaves their position, where they are immediately attacked in their weakened and unfortified state by the enemy units waiting nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

:negative: My shame in only partially reading it, and messing up the link.

I just remember me and all my friends had it.

Probably because it had no copy protection. The guy who built me my first Pentium installed a copy off his disc without me asking, my introduction to software piracy.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

Clive Barker's Undying is a pretty cool game that sold poorly.

I had that and it was pretty good. It was mostly exploring a very empty, atmospheric old mansion and it's surrounding grounds with occasional FPS sections that didn't really seem to fit in with the rest but were still pretty fun and a nice break from the creepy exploration. It was one of the earlier games that had a two handed setup where you fire weapons with one hand and cast magic with the other, like Bioshock, and it had this semi-interesting "Scry" feature that I felt was underused. Occasionally the game would whisper "Scry" and if you activated your scry power some part of the environment would be different or sometimes you would see a ghost. I was pretty disappointed with it as it was never as scary as some other parts of the game, because you knew you were about to see something and chose when you were going to see it. Then this repetitiveness paid off - through at least half the game the only time the scry power showed you anything was when the game gave you the audio notification. The only other time I used it was when I was in a dark area because it let you see in the dark at a short range. One time I'm exploring an old ruined monastery in one of the "safe spooky exploration" sections of the game, and there's a corner that is too dark for me to see if there might be a door or something, so I hit the scry button...and suddenly I'm surrounded by a crowd of ghostly monks just milling about slowly, more characters on the screen than I've ever seen. It was probably one of the most effective scares in the game which is funny considering some of the freaky stuff that the game had.

• Locked thread