Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Killer 7

I absolutely love Suda51 and this was the game that made me love his work. Its gameplay is very basic but that's not why it's worth playing. It's unique, bizarre, complex, and absolutely oozes style. Another great argument for games as art.

Definitely. Although you could get a lot of enjoyment just from watching the cutscenes, which are very well directed and voiced, most of the seemingly arbitrary game mechanics end up being more important to the story than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love Killer7 but it is kind of lovely that the past few "Suda 51" games have had little to no actual involvement from him. Taking anime bullshit and slapping a weird filter and a few non sequiturs on it doesn't make it the next Killer 7 *cough Killer is Dead cough*

Yeah, most of what came after has been a disappointment. I'd definitely recommend Flower, Sun, and Rain on the DS, especially now that there's an emulator that lets you play games at higher resolutions.

One of the first puzzles is a bit confusing, since it looks like one of those 'look up the manual' puzzles, where you need to enter the main character's birthday. However, it's actually blank in the manual, so you can enter any valid date. The PS2 version included a physical copy of the travel guide used to solve a lot of the puzzles, but you can access it in-game in the DS version.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

I'd argue that No More Heroes was still real good and fits the cult game bill as well. No More Heroes could get repetitive at times, but the combat was fun and the off the wall boss fights were the best parts of the gameplay. What really makes it a classic though is its satirical takedown of nerds/gamers. Travis isn't a badass, he's a total loser that lives in a motel room, he barely has any friends, he has no ambitions so he just works crappy dead end jobs so he can buy more creepy anime crap, and through the entirety of the game he's being played like a fiddle.

Sorry, I should have said everything after No More Heroes, not Killer7. Speaking of which, No More Heroes 2 was kind of a letdown, since it was just a mechanically refined sequel, rather than being as full of surprises as the original game.

• Locked thread