Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Terranigma is an ARPG for the SNES that was released everywhere but North America. The gist is that you play a kid who lives in peaceful village underground in a hollow version of the Earth, and it's your job to awaken the rest of the planet. First you bring back all plant-life, then the birds, then the rest of the animal kingdom, and then humanity. After that you can help the towns and cities of the world expand as well as explore the many hidden side areas. Unlike most JRPG heroes your guy wields a spear and he can talk.

The translation (like every Japanese-to-English game back then) is mediocre, the magic system is useless, the difficulty spikes severely in places (Bloody Mary:argh:), some of your allies are really obnoxious, the plot gets really hard to follow in the middle, and I wouldn't play without a strategy guide. That said this game is in the same league as other SNES RPGs like FF6 and Chrono Trigger. The story has a real sense of scope in how you progress, and the mood is strong with a feeling of sad wonder. The game really incites you to help NPCs out even if the reward is lousy.

The game is also unrelentingly depressing. Many of the friends you make meet unfortunate ends, but the biggest punch is reserved for the ending. After everything you go through, you find out that the world you saved is a world you were never a part of. In the playable epilogue you go back to your peaceful village and enjoy one last sunny day before you, your village, and all your friends disappear forever.

The great soundtrack hammers it home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAyNuQDNSAUin

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Len posted:

How does this compare to Soul Blazer? I'm playing through it right now but I've read people say if you like Soul Blazer to play Terranigma after.

I've never played more than 5 minutes of Soul Blazer but I do think it's worthwhile to try Illusion of Gaia before Terranigma. It has many of the same faults of Terranigma but the gameplay is really strong. It's a stripped-down ARPG with no grinding or inventory-management faffing and its dungeons are delightfully puzzle-like that I found far more satisfying than recent Zelda fare. Sadly you're restricted to only a dozen healing items in the entire game and it's extremely easy to miss collectibles so you'll need to refer to GameFaqs a lot. Also, half of the bosses will rape you up the bum with a sharp nobbly stick.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 14, 2014

• Locked thread