Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Deadly Premonition is probably the best example from last gen. A good amount of reviewers utterly lambasted it, IGN gave it a 2/10. But opinion turned around quickly as people realized how much goofy, sincere charm the game had and word of mouth on the Internet spread. Ultimately, because it was a budget title that was running for 20 bucks new, enough interest was drummed up that it actually made a nice profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rocketlex posted:

If we're defining a cult classic as something derided on release that found a dedicated audience later, I would add Luigi's Mansion to that list.

It was largely dismissed as a glorified tech demo when it came out, being a small and relatively simple game that didn't launch the Gamecube as bombastically as Super Mario 64 had launched the N64. I think it was only after the Gamecube gained an arguably respectable library of its own that people went back and looked at Luigi's Mansion on its own terms. It's a fun, clever little adventure game with a unique combat mechanic and a bunch of interesting secrets to discover.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was announced to much excitement a couple years back, which I think speaks to how much the game has grown on people since it came out. I always liked it, and I'm glad it got a fair shake down the line.
I always liked Luigi's Mansion but one thing that makes like it more in retrospect is that its kind of a light-hearted parody of survival horror games.

For another cult classic there's Ghost Trick. Developed by the creator of the Phoenix Wright series, Ghost Trick is a point and click adventure/puzzle game where you play as a ghost who has to investigate his own murder. What really makes the game is its genuinely great writing with likable characters and a plot filled with twists and turns that manages to tie everything together in a consistent and satisfying way in the end. Unlike Phoenix Wright, which while not super popular is still well received and financially successful, Ghost Trick was just brushed to the wayside and forgotten. It's garnered its fair share of fans over the years though and its become quite beloved.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pathologic is pretty much the definition of "cult game" assuming the phrase works the same way as cult film.

There's supposed to be a retranslation project to make it actually an enjoyable, semi-comprehensible experience in English but the last I heard that was years ago and not making much progress.
It got abandoned, but word is that Ice Pick has been planning a Kickstarter campaign for a remake with a better translation and gameplay.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, most of what came after has been a disappointment. I'd definitely recommend Flower, Sun, and Rain on the DS, especially now that there's an emulator that lets you play games at higher resolutions.
I'd argue that No More Heroes was still real good and fits the cult game bill as well. No More Heroes could get repetitive at times, but the combat was fun and the off the wall boss fights were the best parts of the gameplay. What really makes it a classic though is its satirical takedown of nerds/gamers. Travis isn't a badass, he's a total loser that lives in a motel room, he barely has any friends, he has no ambitions so he just works crappy dead end jobs so he can buy more creepy anime crap, and through the entirety of the game he's being played like a fiddle.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like that the people in this thread that yell at others for not following the definition of a cult game dismiss games that actually do fit the definition. (There are several Saturn games that are cult games, dude. i.e. Grandia, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon, Lunar.)

To add some more actual content, Beyond Good and Evil. Headed by Rayman creator, Michel Ancel, BG&E is 3D platformer well remembered for its charm, likable characters, and interesting world. The game sold poorly though and it ended on a huge cliffhanger. People started to appreciate it over time and now its one of the biggest examples of a cult classic game. It's been more than a decade since its release and people are still waiting for a sequel that may never come.

• Locked thread