Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cannot Find Server posted:

Star Control 2

I bought a 3DO for this game

Yeah, SC2 3DO is my favorite game of all time. It's been ported to PC and is free, so anyone who hasn't tried it really should. Unfortunately, they can't legally provide the intro/ending movies (copyright is held by Crystal Dynamics) but it will play them directly off the original 3DO CD if you have one. Everyone else just gets the original PC intro/ending.

And they had to change the name to The Ur-Quan Masters because Toys for Bob doesn't own the Star Control name. Other features of the new version are that the new team fixed several bugs from the 3DO version and added online multiplayer.

Toys for Bob stated awhile back that they were interested in making a real SC3 (the currently available SC3 (which is really bad) is basically fan fiction and not considered canon). However, when they said this it waa before they hit a gold mine with Skylanders so I have to believe that they'll be completely occupied with that franchise for many years.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net

Accordion Man posted:

Deadly Premonition is probably the best example from last gen. A good amount of reviewers utterly lambasted it, IGN gave it a 2/10. But opinion turned around quickly as people realized how much goofy, sincere charm the game had and word of mouth on the Internet spread. Ultimately, because it was a budget title that was running for 20 bucks new, enough interest was drummed up that it actually made a nice profit.

I loved Deadly Premonition but I can see why others don't. My love of all things Twin Peaks enables me to see past all the gameplay flaws, as well as all the nasty glitches that don't seem like will ever be fixed. I love it because it's basically Twin Peaks: The Game. You play a character who is essentially Dale Cooper (quirky FBI agent looking into the murder of a young woman who is loved by most but has a secret dark side, has an obsession with coffee, likes to ramble about strange things, and constantly speaks to someone who isn't actually there). The town is charming on the surface and the residents all have their quirks but there's a hidden darkness underlying everything. From what I've heard, they actually had to change a few things because of a cease and desist order from the Twin Peaks rightsholders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Star Tropics take the Zelda Dungeon and overworld formula add in Hawaiian mysticism and space alien and a kick rear end sound track you get Star Tropics one of my favorite NES games that has enough of a cult following that they gave it a Virtual Console release complete with its own special manual that like the map from the original game had to be dunked in water to reveal the code to get further into the game.

That map was the "codec frequency on the back of the case" of its day.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Two Worlds was a loving amazing game and I would happily play it over Oblivion and even Skyrim.

Whereas the Elder Scrolls games tend to have bland, samey environments and poo poo combat/mechanics, Two Worlds decides to say "gently caress that" and gives you an entire loving world to explore, with huge deserts, frozen tundras, jungles, forests, cities of the dead, lava-studded volcanoes etc and says "You want to blow poo poo up? Here you go, knock yourself out"

As much as I love Skyrim, I have always docked it points for this, mainly because Morrowind (Elder Scrolls III) had everything you listed (but the combat was worse). The landscape was quite varied (plains, forests, swamps, flat lava plains with no life of any kind for miles around, and much more), and the cities all had their own unique architecture (my favorite was the city of wizards where all the houses had been built a couple hundred feet up the sides of trees (maybe mushrooms; I can't remember) and you had to fly to go from building to building or even enter the city at all). It even had a weather system; at any moment it could start pouring down rain, or a dust or ash storm could kick up. A great touch was that during a dust or ash storm, any outdoors NPC would shield their faces with their arm until it stopped.

I really wish Bethesda would start putting that kind of time and effort into that kind of thing again.

• Locked thread