Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So, it's easy to think of cult movies. A film that came out, and wasn't appreciated right away but is looked at in modern times as a lot more than the sum of its parts. It's harder to think of a lot of games that fall into the category: hated at first, liked more as time goes on. So I wanted to see what ya'll picks were for cult games.

Kotor 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. When I was younger, I just thought these games were knockoff sequels, not even from the original developers that made the first games. So I really kind of brushed them off. It wasn't until much later when I heard from others who thought so highly of both games that I gave them a closer look and they really shined since I originally played them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

doctor iono posted:

New Vegas had a rough initial reception, but it sold over 5 million units and is very well-regarded today. I'm not sure it's a cult hit.

Maybe King of Dragon Pass? It supposedly only sold 8,000 copies in its first run, but it's a fascinating, truly unique game that combines village management with hundreds of detailed, crazy choose-your-own-adventure event chains. You guide a clan to prominence, take on crazy vision quests, and try to form a tribe. I'm surprised the game hasn't been imitated more - it's such an interesting premise and the choose-your-own-adventure events add so much flavor and emergent story. The game has somewhat of a cult following today, though.

I've never heard of that one. I'll have to check it out. It sound interesting. The only problem I run into trying to play older games is when I can't handle the complicated UIs that many older games have.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Haruharuharuko posted:

Star Tropics take the Zelda Dungeon and overworld formula add in Hawaiian mysticism and space alien and a kick rear end sound track you get Star Tropics one of my favorite NES games that has enough of a cult following that they gave it a Virtual Console release complete with its own special manual that like the map from the original game had to be dunked in water to reveal the code to get further into the game.

This poo poo was my jam. I remember getting it when I was very young. And even though I couldn't read, I'd get my dad to read all the text for me because I didn't want to miss anything. It took me years to beat this game, because of that loving graveyard level with the secret door that if you missed you'd go to the beginning of the dungeon. And then there was that piano puzzle that you had to have a basic understanding of music to get past. My parents actually had to work it out on pen and paper to figure it out. Then of course the note part. Oh man, this is definitely a cult hit for me, even if it's just me and you making up the fan base.

• Locked thread