Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluo
May 25, 2007

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. - Frank Zappa

The beers of the World Cup is a magical moment to drink the beers of the countries you're watching.
Each days fixtures will have a beer from each country and each beer (country) that gets through will get a right up, win again? Another beer write up.

Also talk about world cup beer here and leave the other threads to the Football!

During the group stages each country will have 1 beer which is mass produced and easy to get for most people around the world (Tecate isn't easy to get over here), 1 will be something special like a craft brew and the 3rd is a wild card. And it won't be in any order. :)

Placeholder:

Algeria

Argentina
Quilmes Cristal
Antares Imperial Stout

Red Lager

Australia

Belgium
Rochefort Trappistes 10

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Brazil
Eisenbahn Rauchbier - Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda
Eisenbahn Weizenbock

Cameroon

Chile
Kunstmann Torobayo Pale Ale
Cerveza Grassau Bock

Colombia
Chapinero Porter
Águila
Costena beer

Costa Rica
Costa Rica’s Segua Red Ale

Côte d'Ivoire/Ivory Coast
Mamba

Croatia
Crikveničko Svijetlo

Ecuador
Roche Negra

England

France
Cuvée Des Jonquilles
1664 Blanc

Germany
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Ghana

Greece
Septem Pale Ale

Honduras

Iran

Italy
Bsa La Rossa Del Gallo

Japan

Korea Republic

Mexico
Corona Extra

Netherlands
De Molen Heen & Weer (Back & Forth)
Grolsch
La Trappe Quadrupel
Hel & Verdoemenis

Nigeria
Star Lager

Portugal

Russia

Spain
Undead Imperial IPA

Switzerland
BFM Cuvée Alex le Rouge

Uruguay
Satan's Cheating Cum Patricia
Davok English Pale Ale

USA
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

SA downtime made it impossible to play catchup. The beer winner is:

The Big Taff Man posted:

Hmm it turns out I'm not being trolled and this message I received....

...is legit and I am going to be receiving some totally free of charge delicious Fosters Radler.

Well done thread, we did it. The best team won the World Cup, and it looks like the best beer won the Beers of the World cup thread.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Since the Beer Ban at Stadiums, has been lifted Brazilians are able to drink a Brazilian beers.

Welcome Brazil's take on the famous German style, Rauchbier! Hopefully they will pick up the german spirit if drank.

Eisenbahn Rauchbier - Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda

6.3%, Dark amber red in colour creamy but short head retention with strong bacon and campfire flavour and aroma with subtle aftertaste of dry biscuit malt. Hint of caramel from the crystal malt with a sophisticated linger of red apples.

Step up Croatia.

Tomislav Tamno Pivo

Baltic Porter, the lager for men the porter for hot weather. Stronger by a point 7.3%. Dark ruby brown with offwhite head, almost black but just isn't getting there somethings holding it back. Starts sweet with the caramel and sweet chocolate then half way to the aftertaste slowly gets bitter, bitter chocolate and roasted barley. Some bitterness in the aftertaste but its not offensive as the creamy smoothness makes it one not to miss, slightly sour. Hops are there, earthy, spicy but the main price of it is the base of any beer. The malt.

Brazil won 3 - 1 so Eisenbahn Rauchbier - Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda goes through!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 12, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Please only post beers I can get at Tesco TIA

Some will be at Tesco, some ASDA, some Sainsburys, some that hipster craftbrew pub down the road next to the painted birdhouse shop.

Duro posted:

Ozujsko is the better of the Croatian beers

Don't worry, different beer for a different match! So hopefully at the end of it there will be a good selection of the winning beers. The final is where it will be at though don't you worry!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 12, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mexico vs Cameroon
Lawnmower lager vs Lawnmower lager

Welcome Mexico's classic best seller, Corona Extra.

This is full on lawnmower beer, drink ice cold because otherwise it tastes like sweetcorn and lemon in a bad way. Ice cold, hot weather. Bing bang bosh!
Also it's the only beer I know that improves with a lime, take it how you will. 4.6% ABV.

Now Cameroon stepping the up with the lawnmower beer, their most sold native beer (Brasseries du Cameroun controls about 70%) in Cameroon. Castel Beer!

Pale golden colour, white head. Aroma of malts, hay and straw. Sweet malty flavour aftertaste with corn. Finish corn, light hops, quite sweet. Did I say Corn?
Drink ice cold like the Coronita, unless you're a member of Big Corn. 5.2% ABV.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 13, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mexico 1, Cameroon 0. So Corona Extra is going through!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Spain vs Netherlands

This is a special game so calls for something special and yes you can get it around the place local beer shops tend to sell it too.

Spain having the handicap of being more a wine country then a beer country it takes something special to not go for the big hitters like Sam Migual & Estrella Damm.
So here is Nomada Royal Porter (also called Nómada Royal Porter A La Taza on nonexport labels), which yes you can get around places and don't have to go to Spain its self.

Imperial porting coming in at 10.5%ABV. Appearance: Pours a coffee brown color with a rather modest head that leaves quite a lot of squiggly lacing behind. Smell: Chocolate and coffee tones galore, with a bit of acrid roastiness. Taste: Sweet chocolate with a lactose heavy aspect, up front; by mid-palate, roasty coffee tones build, along with a dark fruit, prune character; caramel arrives on the tail end to add additional sweetness. Mouthfeel: Medium body with effervescent carbonation; has a Belgian stout mouthfeel

Netherlands coming in top game with their De Molen Heen & Weer (Back & Forth), an abbey tripel storming up at 9.2%.

Light carbonation. A rich golden orange colour beer with pure . Nose: Orange peel and caramel, spicy yeast and a hint of wet coriander, a touch of malt underneath but very little alcohol. Taste: Starts with lots of lovely champagne foam in the mouth then smoothly goes to the orange, fruit, spice, midtaste caramel aftertaste cherry and slightly sour. A very nice, strange, tripel beer it's like a tripel, a saison and a witbier made love.

These are two big guns, to be honest I think I like De Molen Heen & Weer more. So I guess I got to support Netherlands today!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 13, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Stinky Pit posted:

I'll loving never forgive you Fluo NEVER

Don't worry each country gets atleast one craft and one big megabucks one. Australia is getting Fosters etc.

mynameisjohn posted:

Heen & Weer is a fantastic beer that I love a lot. I can't wait to see what you go with for the Belgium match OP!

Belgium I'm already working on because it's the hardest, more choice more brainhurts. Also because I've got to pick them all to not be too expensive. Wish me luck!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 13, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Chile vs Australia
Both hot countries, both need some cool ice drinks that you can get anywhere in the world at any cornershop for pennies, well lets take a look!
What do you first think when you think of Australian beer?

FOSTERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kCdMfP-gQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKiFoEwPQNU

Tasting notes? You having a laugh. Well if room temp tastes like kangroo piss and vomit, if ice cold it's an easy drinking lawnmower lager with not much taste but doesnt have that chemical aftertaste like Stella.

Chilean beer now!

Well Chile is a complete bastard because most their big breweries produce non Chilean beer brands eg Stella, Becks, Heineken etc. But then I remembered that beer I had one time when I was visited Wales

Kunstmann (don't get the s and t mixed up) Kunstmann Torobayo Pale Ale!!

Think of a cross between a floral, earthy, spicy English Pale Ale using Fuggles and EastKent Goldings and a mass produced lager.... yeah well Because you pretty much need to drink this ice cold the hops wont really fully be there but when warm it tastes like cooked vegetables*. But when ice cold it does taste like an okish lager on par with fosters.

*Encourage a fast, vigorous fermentation (use a healthy, active starter to reduce lag time; this is often due to bacterial contamination of wort before yeast becomes established). Check sanitation. Check for aged, stale, or old ingredients (especially old liquid malt extract). Avoid oversparging at low temperatures and you won't have this taste when brewing beer.

belgend posted:

I'll already be happy if you don't go for the easy Jupiler-Stella-Maes trio

I think I may have to put a Stella in for the Football Fans At The Footie Pub. But who knows and no I won't be doing the trio, 50/50 about Stella tbh. But with Australia you just have to go with Fosters first cause Australians really don't like it cause they tend to not drink it, tend to go for VC etc. :D

Fluo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 14, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

SeaTard posted:

I just drink Tecate when I want cheap Mexican beer. It's better than Corona, and half the cost.

I'll have to put this in the OP: During the group stages each country will have 1 beer which is mass produced and easy to get for most people around the world (Tecate isn't easy to get over here), 1 will be something special like a craft brew and the 3rd is a wild card. And it won't be in any order. :)

How is Tecate anyway? Its one of the mexican lagers I haven't tried.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

So what's everyone drinking for this game? I'm drinking both the ones I posted, plus some of my homebrewed Belgium Red. :)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

America is going to be abit tougher for me, as alot of the hop nukes and such they produce gets to Europe tend to be alot less hoppy (and vice versa with England). I got a lot of ideas for each of the One thats easy, one thats craft, one thats wild card. With the American and English ones I'll try and have each a different style too. Three IPAs is boring as gently caress so I think I'll be pulling some nice beers up for you guys. :)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 13, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

5 - 1 to Netherlands, De Molen Heen & Weer (Back & Forth) has gone through!

Carrier posted:

Its not the best british beer but its a good british beer and its the most british beer:

Clear bottle gets a minus -5points!! Also Scotland and Wales aren't in the world cup! English!! Not Britain!! :devil:

To be honest if you're going for names:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ekQPu8_-K8

but we'll have to wait and see for tomorrow, I might be going for!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Carrier posted:

SPITFIRES WON THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN ARE YOU A NAZI FLUO????

It's England! There is no Britain football team in the world cup!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

bruges zot or go home, friend

A Belgian friend of mine sent me bruges zot in the post. It owned and he owns!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

Starting with 3F Gueuze and second half, I'l switch to Fou' Foune. No idea where to get Algerian beer though.

Algerian beer is terrible and a nightmare to a hold of. The only one that I've ever seen outside of Algerian is Tango Bière Blonde. Most popular beers in Algeria is Stella, Becks, Tango, Heineken, Fischer Desperados. 4 out of the 5 are non-Algerian. :negative:

biglads posted:

Gotta choose a lambic for Belgium. I could happily spend the rest of my life drinking Kriek if I had the opportunity.

Don't worry there will be. :)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

NattyBo posted:

I am drinking a domestic lager and loving it. Yuengling. It owns (not really but it's less than a dollar a beer you can't beat that)

Awesome! :D I'm drinking atm one of my homebrews! 100% smoked rauchbier style 70% beech malt 30% oak wheat!

*Photo from another time, I'm awful with taking photos so this was my mate trying it.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

It also looks like Fosters is going to get knocked out!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

A set up for tomorrow.

Colombia vs Greece

Colombia is a country known more so for its cocaine Aguardiente and Coffee. So have this English style Porter from Colombia. Chapinero Porter (Bogota Beer Company) 5%.

Appearance: Deep reddish-brown color, nice light tan creamy head that dissipates within the first few minutes, though this could be chalked up to 8,600 feet. Smell: Deeply roasted, hint of coffee, slightly musty aroma too. Taste: Medium bodied, deep toasted chocolate malts, biscuity taste though not a heavy porter by any means. Mouthfeel: Crisp, a bit harsh roasted note on the end. Overall: Very enjoyable English-style porter with a heavy roasted profile.

Greece's turn now.

Fix Beer has been served in Greece since 1864, having acquired thousands of fans. The brewery that produces Fix also produces the organic B29 beer worthy of your attention. A famous Greek beer, reintroduced by the Hellenic Breweries of Atalanti in the 2000s after 16 years.Production moved to the Hellenic Microbreweries/Olympic Brwery in 2009.
Fix Hellas (Olympic Brewery) 5%.

Appearance: Clear and gold. Light however, nearing yellow. White head retains at a small pad. Smell: Dull toast. A little metallic aroma. Hops are earthy, but there is this slight fruity layer to it. Almost has a Belgian yeast aroma, but not quite. Taste: Mild malt, but fairly forward in the beer. Hops not so detectable, a little earthy. Mouthfeel: Clean and wet. Slight bitterness lingers. Overall: The aroma is different than most. I think this is a better choice than the more popular Mythos.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 13, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Just going to do tomorrows since it's saturday.

England vs Italy
The game where it's coming home after the other games.

England

Fermenting

Rubus Maximus (Wild Beer / Beavertown) 5.8%.
9 Grains used: barley, wheat, oats, corn, rice, rye, buckwheat, quinoa & spelt. A ton in weight of raspberries. Long Pepper, a beautiful floral pepper seasons the beer wonderfully to compliment the huge raspberry fruitiness and to help the fermentation and tart flavours along we have added an oak barrel full of our spontaneously fermented sour beer. Pours cloudy deep red with a small pink head. Aroma is berry fruity. Tastes fruity, raw. Mild citric, dry and authentic rich berry fruity with a dry peppery tart aftertaste with the fruit just lingering underneath. Light citric and dry fruity finish.

Italy

Bsa La Rossa Del Gallo (Birrificio Sant'Andrea) 6.9%.

A pure english race Bitter Ale with a strong balance between the soft taste of the malts and the bitterness of the hops. A Beer with an unmistakable flavour. The perfect partner for every tempting dish of white meats, roastes or shellfishes. Taste it at the Fight Club while the Rolling Stones meet the Ramones and suddenly arrives Bob Marley. High fermentation amber Beer. 14.5° Plato; IBU 40; 6.9°. Can Italy beat England at their own Drink?

Fluo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 14, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Uruguay vs Costa Rica

Uruguay

Mastra Negra (Cervecería Artesanal Mastra) 6.2%.

Dark brown colour, good creamy brownish head. Toffee, diacetylic and lactic aroma. Medium-bodied. Creamy texture. A bit watery palate for this abv. Flavor is clean, toasted with light lactic notes and caramel.

Costa Rica

For the first beer to try and avoid the obvious Imperial beer for the first game, I decided it should be Costa Rica’s Segua Red Ale (Costa Rica’s Craft Brewing Co.) 5%.

Clear amber, small head. Bready nose with roses and grapefruit. Mid dry with light-medium body and clean, rounded mouthfeel. Crystal malt and toast, slight citrus hops. Mid bittet finish. Nicely balanced and very drinkable.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

are you fuckin kidding me with that raspberry beer for our three lions?!! FLUO the power has gone to your head man you've LOST IT

That's my wild card out the way, I'm saving the traditional English one for the last group match!! Also Wild Card for the Wild Beer Brewery Collab I think is a nice touch! :D

blue footed boobie posted:

America's beer should be Dogfish head 60 Minute IPA because it is the perfect beer and because it is from Delaware, the first and best state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9-BWReQ6w

Fluo
May 25, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

im sure its a delicious beverage my friend fluo but it isnt fitting for a wc game! ill leasve it alone though you know your bere better than i

It was the wild card beer, and being the wild card its a wild card. I feel the fresh fruit in it which gives it that very fresh tart taste is our England team at the moment because of the squad being new. The wild yeast used is Lampard because he is the old guy in a new players team, that sourness is the chance we might not win against Italy and the Pepper dry spice is the curries we shall be eating when watching the game.

I feel it is a new image of English beers like our England team is full of new young players. The other two aren't wild cards, one or both will end up being traditional but one will be a craft beer of that traditional style. :) Don't worry I'm keeping a tally of which of the three (1 Easy (or easiest if its from somewhere like Algeria) and cheap to get (aka if it was England it could be Carlin or Old Speckled Hen, Bass Ale, Bombardier, Fuller's London Pride, Newcastle brown etc), 1 craft, 1 wild card)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 14, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

3 - 1 to Chile, Kunstmann Torobayo Pale Ale is going through!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

NattyBo posted:

I, like my Parmos FC teammate Fluoes, am a Real Man and also a Beer Sperg and therefore brew my own beer sometimes. I brewed this Blonde Ale for the WC. It's p. good and I intend to get drunk and watch the football on it this weekend.

This owns by the way, everyone should brew their own beer.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS

I've literally never actually seen Foster's for sale op

1 is cheap and easy to get hold of (in most the world), 1 is a craft beer, 1 is a wild card. The next Aussie one will be something from Mountain Goat Beer or Bootleg Brewery etc. :)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

I can't even buy the goddamn beer Fluo and I live here!!!!! THIS WILL NOT STAND

Just pretend Victoria Bitter was posted for you! They're pretty much the same etc.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I hope Greece / Fix Hellas lose because I've just discovered it's Sepp Blatter favourite beers! :suicide:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Blaisedell posted:

Great thread! Where did you get the weird raspberry beer? Tesco?

A lot of the beer shops around the country sales it. It's a wild card so it doesn't really have to hit the easy to find. The next one will be though. :)

Fluo posted:

It was the wild card beer, and being the wild card its a wild card. I feel the fresh fruit in it which gives it that very fresh tart taste is our England team at the moment because of the squad being new. The wild yeast used is Lampard because he is the old guy in a new players team, that sourness is the chance we might not win against Italy and the Pepper dry spice is the curries we shall be eating when watching the game.

I feel it is a new image of English beers like our England team is full of new young players. The other two aren't wild cards, one or both will end up being traditional but one will be a craft beer of that traditional style. :) Don't worry I'm keeping a tally of which of the three (1 Easy (or easiest if its from somewhere like Algeria) and cheap to get (aka if it was England it could be Carlin or Old Speckled Hen, Bass Ale, Bombardier, Fuller's London Pride, Newcastle brown etc), 1 craft, 1 wild card)

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I couldn't find any good English beres on offer in tesco so I had to go German and Mexican with becks and sol hope this isn't too offensive

If you want a list of good easy to get beers anyway here: (Note if hoppy and outside UK, the hoppiness has a chance of going down abit from what it was cause of the time to transport to US or whatever).

Well's Bombardier Ale Has a thick, creamy, cream-colored head, a semi-clear, slightly bubbly, deep copper or even ruby appearance, and heavy lacing left on the glass. The aroma is beautiful- rich, sweet, toffee, mild coffee, citrus, sugar, and mild hop oil. Taste is similarly beautiful- toffee, hop oil, moderate and balancing bitterness, sugar, bread crust, and malt. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and Well’s Bombardier finishes semi-dry, delicious, and quite drinkable.

Fullers
  • Fuller's ESB
  • Fuller's Bengal Lancer
  • Fuller's 1845 Bottle Conditioned
  • Fuller's London Porter
  • Fuller's Organic Honey Dew
  • Fuller's Wild River
  • Fuller's London Pride

Any of the above is good and easy to get.

Meantime's Indian Pale Ale

Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Double Chocolate Stout has been recognised as an award-winning brew on several occasions, including: Brewing Industry International Awards Gold Medal Winner 2000, Silver Medal Winner 2002 and Bronze Medal Winner 1998 and 2004. Luxurious and at the same time with a hint of decadence, Young’s Double Chocolate Stout has it all, delivering a satisfying, indulgent taste without ever becoming overly sweet. Pale Ale and Crystal malt, Chocolate Malt, a special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Golding hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence are combined to deliver a stout of with real credentials.

If you can get your hands on anything from The Kernel Brewery I highly recommend it.

Other well trusted English brewers to check out if you want to go more on the craft side: Moor, Bristol Beer Factory, Thornbridge, Dark Star, Saltaire Brewery, New Bristol Brewery, Beavertown, http://arborales.co.uk/ and many more but this is just a slice. Remember 1 is wild card, 1 is craft, 1 is easy to get and not break your wallet.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 14, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Colombia 3 - Greece 0. So Sepp Blatter's favourite beer is out already.

Chapinero Porter goes through!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 14, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

It's OK I guess if you've nothing else better to drink but because beer is so regional, not only I am sure that there are better options in your area but also, the American beer choice is going to be crap because most of the nationally distributed beers are just not as good as the regional ones.

I don't know man, in UK I can get my hands on Alesmith, Dogfishhead, Flying Dog, Oskar Blues, Stone Brewery, New Belgium, Russian River, Founders Brewing, The Bruery, Cigar City Brewing, Firestone Walker etc from one of the many beer shops here. :) And again, there will be 1 easy to get around most the world, 1 craft, 1 wildcard. Wildcard is the hardest to get, craft is possible to get most places but not always at supermarkets, easy is supermarket or most if not all beer shops is the easiest way to think about it. Like I'm 100% know that they sell the basic special bitter HobGoblin is quite some places in US, and most supermarkets around here and some in Europe and Japan. But I'd put that as Easy to get and cheap cause its like £1.80 a bottle and not really craft.

A quick google search came up with 1,000s of places in US its sold like $3.99, found at New Beer Distributors, 167 Chrystie St between Delancey and Rivington Sts which is £2.35. But I guess transport adds cost. :(

Burton India Empire Pale Ale which is a very :britian: beer is sold at some Whole Foods stores.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 14, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

Sounds like you get the best selection of American craft beers than most states in the US do and it might be right up there with Philadelphia's options. For example RR only distributes to 4 states at most so being in England gives you a large advantage for sure. On the other hand, I'm trying to cut back from craft beer and have started narrowing my selection to lambics & gueuzes for the most part, so I'm also jealous at your being in Europe and that much closer to Belgium.

You should check out out the Beer thread in GWS if you haven't already given your obvious knowledge of beer & brewing.

You want to know the downside? Alot of the hoppy beers can be dull as gently caress sometimes, I bet it's the same with being in US trying British IPAs / hoppy beers too. :( Just over time the hops fade etc but not all the time though etc. :( But stuff like Walker's Reserve Porter is awesome, still some great beers over the pond here too just don't really get heard about much. :)

And oh yes lambics, gueuzes, flemish red etc are everywhere. I have a mate who runs one of the local pubs here who ever 4 months or so drives out to Belgium to collect all the wild and sour beers from them. :shepface:

Yeah I'll check out the Beer thread in GWS, I use to lurk it for awhile but it went abit weird for awhile lol. :tubular:

Also don't worry I'll be getting into the habit of trying to give a couple days heads up for the beers of the world cup. I've used the England wild card so next one will be less wacky and more grounded. :)

Edit: Also I honestly put it down to one thing which is loving some states up from getting great beer, the middle man wholesaler. Breweries aren't legally allowed to sell direct to customers unless its at their brewbar area and such. So you have to sale to a wholesaler which 50% of the ones only stock bud, the other 50% has to have the other two big players plus all the imports plus the craft/microbrewery beers. It's kinda hosed up and honestly hope sometime it gets fixed, like in the 70s making it legal to home brew! :)

Edit2: For the Uruguay vs Costa Rica game I'll be drinking some Costa Rica’s Segua Red Ale and a couple homebrews. For the Italy vs England game I'm going to open my 1year bottle conditioned whisky oak aged coffee porter I brewed last year, with Wild Beer's Rubus Maximus, Bsa La Rossa Del Gallo (Birrificio Sant'Andrea), Birra Moretti and a handful of St Peter's English Lager (Carlin is sold here as being English, but its really Canadian, so needed to hunt for an English lager).

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 14, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

The thread can be a little too :spergin: at times and others will be a little off-kilter but the majority of posters are good people that I've also met in person. If you're interested in getting fresh hoppy stuff, there are some people willing in the Exchange thread to send day-old IPAs for the more seasonal offerings. I've done a couple of trades like that with a couple of IPA-crazed Swedes.

Awesome, yeah just went and looked see a couple of regulars from the homebrew thread!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Hegay posted:

Royal Export

Isn't that brewed by the Royal Unibrow, I don't want no Unibrow!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

3 - 1 to Costa Rica so Costa Rica’s Segua Red Ale goes through.

I forgot 2am (UK time) tonight is Ivory Coast (Côte d'Ivoire) vs Japan. I only know two Ivory Coast beers so if anyone knows a third that would be great help.

So the first Ivory Coast beer.

Mamba (Brewed by Solibra) 5.5%.
A "premium" lager.

Clear yellow, whispy head, sweet malt aroma, flavor has a touch of hallertau hops, some malty caramel sweetness with lots of hop bitterness. The description is pretty bad because this isn't that great a beer. Like the football team. :v:

Japan now, they love their beer and import a poo poo ton from Europe and America. Yet are starting to set up a couple of microbreweries but because of the whole land space prices there aren't many. So I will go with a macro brewery as my first one. Easy to get too.

Sapporo Draft Beer(marketed in America as Sapporo Premium beer)(Brewed by Sapporo Brewery) 5%.

This was a toss up of the other Japanese lagers like Asahi Super Dry which are just as easy to get your hands on and Yebisu which is another mass produced but really nice lager. I wanted to go with something which was nice, easy to get and what most football fans would enjoy will save the other two for abit more adventurous beers. So I bring to you Sapporo Premium, bottle or can (the can feels like its made out of space tech metal).

Appearance: Clear gold brew with a decent white head. Smell: Very clean aroma. Taste: Smooth, clean character with just a touch of bitterness. Get a subtle lemongrass bubblegum aftertaste. Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Great body for such a clean brew. Drinkability: Very drinkable beer. One of my favorites from Japan.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 14, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Hegay posted:

It is, but saving the good stuff to the good match.

Evil Twin Even More Jesus

Nice!!!!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jose posted:

Asahi is better than Sapporo imo

It's a toss up, pepsi vs coca cola type deal.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

Having lived in Japan for a couple of years, I definitely agree that Yebisu is the best out of Sapporo & Asahi but the distribution is very limited. Even in LA, I've only found a few stores that sell it and the price point isn't as good in the States.

Yeah, Yebisu would have been my first one but I was using the "easy to get" card this time around which is quite abit harder to get your hands on in Europe compared to Asahi / Sapporo. :( Don't worry it might be in one of the other two! :) Got some great Japanese beers to choose from. :) I'll try and get into the habit of saying which one of the three I types I used when I post the beer. :D

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Switzerland vs Ecuador

Switzerland, have some :words: about beer in Switzerland. I'm using the craftbeer one for this one.

BFM Cuvée Alex le Rouge (brewed by BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes))
Imperial Stout from Saignelégier, Switzerland. There is a fair chance of getting your hands on this compared to some of the other craft beers and generally speaking I give it a round about 8.5-9/10.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Silver medal at Soleure’s extreme beer fest 2007. An extreme black beer whose nose goes toward pepper, vanilla, ashes, tobacco and fresh hops. It reaches the palate all in softness, but quickly becomes intensely bitter, though not very dry. Long and satisfying finish.
This Cuvée was created in the honor of the Jurrassian revolutionist Alex Le Rouge. Enjoy this wonderful Cuvée at about 10°-12° Celsius (50°-53°F), with a crunch of bitter Chocolate or a Cigar. Cuvée Alex Le Rouge can be sequestrated for a few years in a cellar. Ingredients: water, barley malts, hops, cane sugar, yeast, Serawak pepper, Russia tea, Bourbon vanilla.

Ecuador, if there is any beer you will have a chance to get its in no means anything special but it's the easiest out of a hard bunch to get your hands on. So using the Easy/Cheap card here.

Pilsener (brewed by Cervezas Nacionales)

Just another pilsener. Clear and golden color, covered with a sizeable but quickly settling white frothy head. Malty and grainy aroma is relatively weak. Light and watery taste, starts sweet, finishes with a small bitterness. No real aftertaste. Nothing special, but still drinkable.

Will do the other Sunday ones after this England game.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

2 - 1 to Italy, meaning Bsa La Rossa Del Gallo goes through!

I'd like to point out if you can't get your hands on the Ecuador beer I recommend going across the boarder to Peru and getting Cusquena brewed in the Andes but imported widely, and on offer in Sainsburys at £1 a bottle. It's not too bad either, a little sweet and light, but very palatable.

France vs Honduras

France
They are better at beer than football right now, but they present a bit of a quandary. For all their fine beers, few are sent over here. Instead, we get Kronenbourg brewed in Manchester, in a bloomin' massive silage tank. But you can find the slightly better Pelforth from the same conglomerate, which has a faint hoppy taste, and is pretty strong. However I'm not going for these for the first game but I will try and give choices like this for each time even if they aren't in the Beers of the World Cup match.

So I'm using the craft card here, going for one of the only pure French (sometimes Belgian French) styles which is Bière de Garde.
Cuvée Des Jonquilles (Brewed by Brasserie Bailleux) 7%.

Appearance: Straw gold pour, hazy with a fine white foam. Smell: Lemon zest, brett, hayloft. Taste: Floral citrus followed by a smooth, mild sweetness. Aroma: Faint grassy flavor comes through from the hops. Mouthfeel: Light with a fine carbonation, finishes dry, almost champagne-like. A smooth refreshing beer. A unique version of the style bringing thoughts of springtime and the daffodils for which it's named.

Honduras
Little is known of them in football or beer, though Daniel Sturridge may be a little more clued up, after being hit by a beer can thrown by one of their fans! It may have been Barena or Port Royal export, but again, we have have to revert to the Cusquena.

Port Royal Export (brewed by Cerveceria Hondurena) 4.8%.

Dortmunder / Export Lager. Appearance: pale golden/straw; medium frothy white head, decent lacing. Smell: malt with light hops and citrus. Taste: Juicy malt on the sweeter side; light hops, but just enough to balance the sweetness; clean and crisp; nothing special, but a decent brew for a hot day. Mouthfeel: medium body, slightly creamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Ivory Coast 2 - Japan 1 so Ivory Coast's Mamba goes through... D:

• Locked thread