Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

ephex posted:

Mexican beer is so bad they put tomato juice in it lol Jesus wept because he's Mexican and has to drink bad beer with tomato juice in it)

Negra Modelo is a fuckin sick beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The best american beer is unironically simple times lager, from trader joes, for like $3.50 for a 6 pack

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

ephex posted:

Cool Beer 69

rename fluo this

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I loving hate IPA's

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

ephex posted:

I just had some good beers that I bought at the store and then put in the fridge and drank them when I felt like they were cold enough.

The taste was very beery and I decided not to be an enormous fag about beer so I just drank it.

imo people who talk about "banana notes" and "mouthfeel" and fruity citrus notes and all the notes, are full of poo poo liars.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

This is the best beer, you can buy it at Albertsons. loving good beer. Has west coast notes, with a glacier fresh mouth feel. Great while out fishing, hiking, skiing, or PC gaming.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Fluo posted:

Also banana notes are from yeasts that give of esters, British tends to be fruity or cherry pie, German's Hefeweizen gives banana or clove. Brett yeast can give smokey, barn house, pineapple and other aromas and flavours.

Nah I don't believe it is real. Its just made up poo poo. People all gaslighting each other. Barn house lmao.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Do people in Seattle still drink vitamin R

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Fluo posted:

If you listened at school in your science class you'd know all about Esters & Phenols. :argh:

Esters
Esters provide a huge portion of yeast-derived beer flavor. They tend to come off as fruity in flavor, but each ester tastes a little different. There's Isoamyl acetate, which tastes like banana Runts. There's ethyl acetate, which tastes like nail polish remover. There's ethyl caprylate and caproate, which taste like apples, pears, or anise.
Generally speaking, ester production is directly related to fermentation, and warmer fermentation temps increase their presence. There's many other factors at play here, especially the strain of yeast being used, but the lower fermentation temperature is why you don't encounter esters as overtly in lagers as you do in ales.

Phenols
Phenols, which also occur in every beer, are produced not just from yeast, but also from other beer ingredients or chemicals like chlorine found in brewing water. (For example, tannins are a type of phenol present in both hops and malt). But we're talking about yeast here, and there are a couple well-known and easily-identifiable yeast-derived phenols that you'll encounter in your pint.
If you've ever had a real hefeweizen, you've tasted 4-vinyl guaiacol. Most commonly compared to a clove-like spiciness, it is produced by yeast's interaction with ferulic acid, which is found in barley.
You may have also tasted 4-ethyl phenol—produced by the wild yeast Brettanomyces. This is the phenol people are talking about when they refer to "horse blanket" or "barnyard" character in a beer.

Do they have the same chemistry as the actual flavor things or do people just think they taste like them, it all seems very snake oil to me.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Negra Modelo is the best mexican beer, and hell, one of the best of all

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Fluo posted:

No I got a Samsung Galaxy 5 but it'd be shakey cam trying to open the bottle with one hand and such cause you can't really hold it up right with no hands.

That is a poverty phone

Oh I have tried that speedway stout and it is terrible. Like drinking asphalt. They sell it at Trader Joes.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

9 am was too early to drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Mean Bean Machine posted:

lol I hope that's true and you're getting free beer because of a 20 sec video while fluo who made a 10 page beer effort thread gets nothing.

Lmao

• Locked thread