Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Starting with 3F Gueuze and second half, I'l switch to Fou' Foune. No idea where to get Algerian beer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sauska posted:

boulevard is my go to for the sport bar scenario. It's the ultimate drinking beer.

anyway for tonight i picked up among others hitachino nest so I vote hitachino nest for japan thanky ou

It's OK I guess if you've nothing else better to drink but because beer is so regional, not only I am sure that there are better options in your area but also, the American beer choice is going to be crap because most of the nationally distributed beers are just not as good as the regional ones.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sauska posted:

There's better options, but if I'm eating cheap pizza and watching a game I'm not really looking for quality tasting beers.

But yea America's beer is/will be budweiser Yuengling so I don't think there even needs to be a discussion.

FTFY :colbert: .

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fluo posted:

I don't know man, in UK I can get my hands on Alesmith, Dogfishhead, Flying Dog, Oskar Blues, Stone Brewery, New Belgium, Russian River, Founders Brewing, The Bruery, Cigar City Brewing, Firestone Walker etc from one of the many beer shops here. :) And again, there will be 1 easy to get around most the world, 1 craft, 1 wildcard. Wildcard is the hardest to get, craft is possible to get most places but not always at supermarkets, easy is supermarket or most if not all beer shops is the easiest way to think about it.

Sounds like you get the best selection of American craft beers than most states in the US do and it might be right up there with Philadelphia's options. For example RR only distributes to 4 states at most so being in England gives you a large advantage for sure. On the other hand, I'm trying to cut back from craft beer and have started narrowing my selection to lambics & gueuzes for the most part, so I'm also jealous at your being in Europe and that much closer to Belgium.

You should check out out the Beer thread in GWS if you haven't already given your obvious knowledge of beer & brewing.

Edit: I'm going with a Panil Barriquee for the Italian side and a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout for Britain since I was in bit of rush yesterday and went with stuff I've had before.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 14, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fluo posted:

You want to know the downside? Alot of the hoppy beers can be dull as gently caress sometimes, I bet it's the same with being in US trying British IPAs / hoppy beers too. :( Just over time the hops fade etc but not all the time though etc. :( But stuff like Walker's Reserve Porter is awesome, still some great beers over the pond here too just don't really get heard about much. :)

And oh yes lambics, gueuzes, flemish red etc are everywhere. I have a mate who runs one of the local pubs here who ever 4 months or so drives out to Belgium to collect all the wild and sour beers from them. :shepface:

Yeah I'll check out the Beer thread in GWS, I use to lurk it for awhile but it went abit weird for awhile lol. :tubular:

The thread can be a little too :spergin: at times and others will be a little off-kilter but the majority of posters are good people that I've also met in person. If you're interested in getting fresh hoppy stuff, there are some people willing in the Exchange thread to send day-old IPAs for the more seasonal offerings. I've done a couple of trades like that with a couple of IPA-crazed Swedes.

Yeah, it's because 1) states can make up their own alcohol distribution laws and 2) most likely they're vestiges of America's failed social experiment in Prohibition. The 3-tier system of distribution in the US is really messed up.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

SeaTard posted:

I just spent almost 2 weeks in Ebisu, their local lager definitely gets the job done. Probably tricky to find outside of Japan though. Saporro black wasn't bad, but Yebisu was better.

Having lived in Japan for a couple of years, I definitely agree that Yebisu is the best out of Sapporo & Asahi but the distribution is very limited. Even in LA, I've only found a few stores that sell it and the price point isn't as good in the States.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Soulex posted:

Any chance youll use a Saison for France?

It's more of a Belgian style; if anything he should go for a Biere de Garde.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fluo posted:

The IPA has came and went NattyBo, last 2-3 years the craze has been sour beers and brett fermented beers.
But seriously, it's not an IPA it's a pale ale. And better then Budweiser. >:D

And as always BA RIS & Barleywines but as a AWA & Brett fan, I couldn't be happier with the current trend. At least in California, the IPA development is still alive and kicking to a point where there are some really nice single IPAs being made all over the place.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fluo posted:

Yeah, but I wouldn't call the IPAs as a fad anymore but still around and its staying, over the pond here I love sours and brett beers but it is trendy and the fad at the moment but enjoying it very well. Specially with pubs going out their way to Belgium to bring back sours and the Bristol & London breweries doing some sours and brett beers. At home at the moment it's almost at the 8th week in the fermenter of my 100% brett rye saison. And the other 5 gallons of the batch is Saison yeast plus brett rye saison. Should be fun!

I don't know I enjoy all beers, there are annoying people in every walk of life! Go after the playa and not the game!

FWIW, even with importation costs, lambics are still much better than the majority of AWAs and because the latter are usually focused on being so fruit-forward, the prices are fairly equivalent to the point where it's hard to justify getting a middling sour or brett bomb when I could be enjoying a well aged gueuze. Is The Kernel brewery that you posted about earlier, the top craft brewery, like SARA/RR/HF, in England at the moment?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fluo posted:

The Kernel is one of the good breweries but they're more so pretty great at the IPAs and Stouts, their sour seems a bit one dimensional because they don't blend the lambics which is really hit and miss because you won't always get a great single barrel lambic so tend to have to blend most of it. Sometime I will have to write up a list of the okish/good breweries and the great breweries from the UK. :)
I feel out the loop with all these abbreviations. AWA / SARA/RR/HF?

The write-up would be pretty nice because I have no knowledge about the English craft beer movement and the breweries in it. Pictures would also be nice :v: .

As to the abbreviations, apologies for force of habit; AWA: American Wild Ale, SARA: Sante Adarius Rustic Ales: a pretty small craft brewery in Capitola, which is 40 minutes of San Francisco making some really nice beers in all the fields; they're one of the few breweries I can say that is good in almost all styles of beer. RR: Russian River, HF: Hill Farmstead, the East Coast counterpart to SARA.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
During the hop fad, a lot of breweries were going for the big citrus, resin hops in their IPAs to really boost the IBU levels and overall hop intensity but now, at least for my palate, I find that the breweries who have been using New Zealand hops: Nelson Sauvin, Rakau, etc are producing very balanced and delicious IPAs that are able to maintain their hop profile but have a finish almost devoid of any harsh bitterness while also avoiding the usage of too much malt.

Replicating famous beers' yeasts that come from Cantillon, 3F, etc is a trend I've seen some craft brewers attempt in their new sour releases; it's pretty neat to see what they come up with and sounds like a good thing to experiment on.

Edit: I'd really like more American craft breweries to make lagers because notwithstanding the absolute crap of macro American adjuncts, there are very few breweries that make new and tasty lagers. The only brewery in the lager field I can think of is Jack's Abby.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 16, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

mynameisjohn posted:

also the new "fad" with ipa/hoppy beers in america is to make "session ales" or less alcoholic, but equally flavorful, hoppy beers.

the "hop head" thing still exists, but most breweries seem to be pushing beer towards a more enjoyable direction

today I'm drinking two beers on the juicy end of the ipa spectrum: cigar city jai alai and otter creek fresh slice

jai alai (which most of you have probably had) is a fantastic fruit punch of an ipa with strong tropical flavors and hoppy bitterness. it's all mangos oranges and pineapples. very strong flavors from all over the board. there's a nice finish to it too that's almost like caramel that makes each sip refreshing.

fresh slice is a white, belgian style, ipa, and you're just getting a ton of citrus and hops on the nose. super easy drinking. smooth. absolutely crushable. wouldn't drink it unless I was outside or in a hot environment, honestly, but it's perfect for a summer day like today.

Close friend of mine who went to college in VT loves Otter Creek but I've not yet had anything from the brewery because most of the VT trading goes for HF never-ending releases. As for summer beers, I'm a big fan of drinking low ABV shandys, especially Stiegl Radler Grapefruit as it's very refreshing, cheap and easily sessionable. It's nice that they sell it in cans but on draft, it's so much better.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ALFbrot posted:

I get what you're saying a lot of the time, but you're crazy if you can't taste the difference between a hefeweizen that tastes of banana or one that tastes of clove

As for summer beers, I'm way into radlers, russns, and Summer Solstice cream ale from Anderson Valley

i am Not a Real Man

Must not have bananas and citrus fruits up there in canadaland.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fluo posted:

Netherlands
So I'll use a cheap and easy card for this one. The choice was between Heineken, Amstel or Grolsch. So I will put it to you. Just say which out Heineken, Amstel or Grolsch you'd rather have.

Amstel or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFCSZSqSskk

Heineken or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-51adxDx83I

Grolsch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTVl4iaXoU

Have to go with the only non-Heineken owned beer - have a Grolsch.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is it a lactose thing?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ephex posted:

I like the one that's yellow and has that white fluffy stuff on top, but sometimes also the the dark brown one with a lot more of the fluffy stuff. I take them from the fridge and pour out into a glass and then I drink it all. Hmmm the perfect beer experience here in Munich, the home and birthplace of beer.

How about the one that's red and has that white fluffy stuff on top or is just red?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fluo posted:

I'm going to have to play catch up, and also going to try and get next couple of days sorted so It's always a couple of days ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCpLerLKD2k
I hate myself for lol'ing at a keg in a field.

Fun stuff. I like the counterpart video as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840waOfQ50o

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pissflaps posted:

anybody got any thoughtrs on erdinger cristall beer

Fairly poor kristallweizen, better off going with the Weihenstephaner Kristall for a same if not better price.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pissflaps posted:

ill just get fosters

take a hint from your name and just piss in a cup - it'll be cheaper and may taste better.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Had a glass of Alpine Hoppy Birthday at lunch and I'm having a 375 of 3F Gueuze while I'm writing this motion doing more important work to celebrate the match.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Appropriate video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjD5_oMmFNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stroop There It Is posted:

I am poor and American, so I will be getting drunk (eventually) off Yuengling tomorrow. That's tangentially German, right? no

Drinking this tomorrow because, it's perfect for the summer, cheap, tasty, incredibly sessionable :v:, almost German and one can get it almost everywhere in the US at BevMo, Binny, any large alcohol wholesale store.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 12, 2014

• Locked thread