Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The SomethingAwful Forums continue to die of AIDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

lol. The rest of the title was

de him into both a mascot and a meme.

but Awful app sucks very much.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i'm lazy + don't want to look in games, is this the dude from the xbone thread or something else?

Dec 26, 2012

think he means the gamers.txt guy

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
lol at Zoq in the gamers.txt thread

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

thanks to you who gave me this important up to dates on the things that happen.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
i don't know what the gently caress you're talking about op

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gamelulz

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I cannot read a single post in that thread

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

what happened

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Gobblecoque posted:

i don't know what the gently caress you're talking about op

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Ban this poster.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

zen death robot posted:

jesus he's still posting in that? i gave up on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fdcIwHKd_s

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
i like When people quote posts and then just Reply "Gamers.txt"

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Kewpuh posted:

Source your quotes.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Source your quotes.

Dont sign your posts bith

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Kewpuh posted:

saying something and then affixing ".txt" to it is probably the funniest thing in the history of humor ever and i hope everyone continues to do it

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Kewpuh posted:

Dont sign your posts bith

Looks like the gamers.txt is coming from inside the thread.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

saying something and then affixing ".txt" to it is probably the funniest thing in the history of humor ever and i hope everyone continues to do it

that's classic joke.txt

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Gobblecoque posted:

it's better when you advance the joke by using other text formats such as ".rtf" or ".doc" or (if you're especially hilarious) ".tex"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
nice shootin.tex

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
for reals though a thread where you post about another thread where people post about other threads on the internet that people post dumb poo poo in is probably the worst idea for a thread ever, kill yourself in honorable battle

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

for reals though a thread where you post about another thread where people post about other threads on the internet that people post dumb poo poo in is probably the worst idea for a thread ever, kill yourself in honorable battle

ya but people seem to like it I guess i dunno I dont try to understand this poo poo

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

OwlFancier posted:

Adam, sweetheart, look.

There is a thing, about the word 'culture'.

It's that not every human on the planet subscribes to the same one.

The people who invented the term 'rape culture' knew about this, and didn't say that it had to be a universal thing that applies to every individual on the face of the earth.

In fact there are lots of nice people in the world who very much oppose the idea of it.

But you see, there are bad people out there who don't see anything wrong with it, and also perhaps not-so-bad people who don't realise that they're acting as part of it. It's little things like people who think if you're nice to a lady she really should be considerate and let you sleep with her. People who think that sexual intimacy should be achieved by clever tricks and signals designed to make you irresistable to women. Even people who think prison rape isn't really a problem because it's happening to bad people and they're in prison to be punished, y'know?

That's what the phrase means, it's called a culture because, much like other cultures, it's just sort of there in the background, and you probably don't notice it if you're a part of it, because it's just... normal.

Now continue posting silly things that don't grate on my brain quite so hard so I can go back to laughing.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Source your quotes

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Gamers.txt

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Kewpuh posted:

Source your quotes

I sourced the quote.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I sourced the quote.

Dont sign your posts

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

gamer 187 on that dude,

e: and also everyone else in that thread to be safe

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Kewpuh posted:

Dont sign your posts

Source your quotes.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Source your quotes.

for me to poop on

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That thread's very bad, wow.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lol

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

gamers.txt is why the detumblrification of the forums was a failure

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

qnqnx posted:

emf posted:

I'm sorry for starting a massive derail, especially when so many people completely missed my point; but that's my fault. I really, honestly, thought that more people saw the sexism and gender-normative stereotyping being introduced by gendering Kerbals. The reason I didn't elaborate on it before, and also the reason I specifically requested to not hear from straight-white-males, is that they are not part of the group that is trying to be "included" by adding gender to Kerbals, nor are they a member of the many groups which will be explicitly excluded by the addition of a simple binary gendered Kerbal, and -- all good intentions notwithstanding -- are not in a position to choose their opinions for them.

Speaking of good intentions, people are quick to point out that you're carefully not sexualizing Kerbals with gratuitous T&A while you go about "feminizing" them, but your choices of feminizing features paints a picture of what you think a proper, feminine physique is: slender, slight, soft. The sketch of the proposed male and female Kerbals shows the "female" at roughly half the volume (therefore mass) of the "male". This is a nerd-culture male's view of how females should look, cute, demure, with no overly sexual characteristics which could be threatening . How many people that you're looking to make feel included will identify with that particular ideal of femininity?

Before I posted anything, I asked my friend and colleague (a scientist from Iran who is familiar with both KSP and my love of turning Kerbals into fine green mist) what she thought of adding gender to Kerbals. Her response was "Why? They are Kerbals ... and disposable. Who wants disposable Kerbal women?" She too had thought of them as genderless rocket fodder ... but that could just be because she'd seen the way I played. The discussion meandered to Lemmings, and the point was made that genderless Lemmings can be slaughtered with glee, but march female Lemmings by the score through smashers and flails and the game looses its whimsical nature -- as it should; there's far too much real, horrific violence perpetrated on women. We were thinking of KSP as Lemmings with rockets.

Pretending for a moment that some players won't be so gleefully murderous to their Kerbals, I asked her if she thought of the idea that girls might feel more included if they could identify more closely with the Kerbals. "Is there an way to let the girl Kerbals wear hijab, or even a simple headscarf?" A young Muslim girl might not appreciate your efforts at including women if comes with the implicit statement that they need not apply.

So, where are the Muslim Kerbals? Where are Indian Kerbals? The African Kerbals? The Asian Kerbals? Where are the fat Kerbals? Maybe I want a respawing Porkins Kerbal to be my go-to red-shirt for missions with a high chance of lithobraking.

Someone posted asking how being more inclusive is bad. It isn't. More inclusive is better. People say that currently Kerbals appear too masculine with their Western human male features, and whole-heartedly agree this is a problem, but I question if the right solution is to take a rib from Jeb to mould for him a Westernized, feminized Kerbal companion.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lol the first sentence of that post, what in the name of god is wrong with people

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

I have to be 100% serious here for a second. I have literally no loving idea what "gender-normative" means

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

qnqnx posted:

detumblrification failed like all goon projects because its collaborators were/are inept and weird

Dec 26, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

I have to be 100% serious here for a second. I have literally no loving idea what "gender-normative" means

dudes is dudes, chicks is chicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Why video games. Why do people only ever talk about video games.

• Locked thread